what is a troll on topix

Posted in the Top Stories Forum

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
confused and wondering

Oakdale, TN

#1 Nov 26, 2010
I am new to topix, and i keep reading about people being a troll. What does this mean? Im really ignorant on this, or I like to just say confused. lol Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly!
mjlover4life

North Providence, RI

#2 Nov 26, 2010
confused and wondering wrote:
I am new to topix, and i keep reading about people being a troll. What does this mean? Im really ignorant on this, or I like to just say confused. lol Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly!
a troll is a hater I call them toxic topix haters
are you a M.J. fan?
if you are beware of the haters/trolls, these are the stupidest haters that you would ever want to meet.
I'm warning you if your a M.J. lover these hater's are toxic.
good luck
Rocky Anderson

Mclean, VA

#3 Nov 26, 2010
An example of a TROLL is Your_Name _Sucks. He follows almost every thread and interjects hate and nonsense. He never offers any comment of value. He is an idiot TROLL. He uses mant different aliases like Dixie Diva and You STOOOOpid but he can't hide his style. He is not a good troll as he is always obvious. Some TROLLS are subtle. TROLLS are basically the class clowns of topix or like a heckler. Good for absolutely nothing!

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#4 Nov 26, 2010
What Is A Troll?

The term derives from "trolling", a style of fishing which involves trailing bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The troll posts a message, often in response to an honest question, that is intended to upset, disrupt or simply insult the group.

Usually, it will fail, as the troll rarely bothers to match the tone or style of the group, and usually its ignorance shows.

Hope this helps...
confused and wondering

Oakdale, TN

#5 Nov 26, 2010
mjlover4life wrote:
<quoted text>
a troll is a hater I call them toxic topix haters
are you a M.J. fan?
if you are beware of the haters/trolls, these are the stupidest haters that you would ever want to meet.
I'm warning you if your a M.J. lover these hater's are toxic.
good luck
what is an MJ?
confused and wondering

Oakdale, TN

#6 Nov 26, 2010
thank you for helping me to understand this. I was totally confused. lol which some may say that it doesnt take much to do that to me. LOL I have seen those names you pointed out on a lot of the threads Rocky, thats just weird. lol I havent post a comment thus far, but wanted to thank you both for the info.

“think out of the box”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#7 Nov 26, 2010
thank you for helping me to understand this. I was totally confused. lol which some may say that it doesnt take much to do that to me. LOL I have seen those names you pointed out on a lot of the threads Rocky, thats just weird. lol I havent post a comment thus far, but wanted to thank you both for the info.
I have heard different interpretations of the term....some apply it to someone that isn't registered, some see them as ONLY trouble makers and some see them as unregistered good AND bad.

Personally, I've either encountered, seen or heard of MANY registered "trolls" and, generally speaking, a troll is a nasty thing to be avoided so I usually only apply the term to those that like to stir trouble.

You will probably get names of a lot and that's ok - just beware that some ppl have agendas and some are genuine.

And, no matter what, be forewarned that people will say things to you that are intended to crush you, get you spitting nails or push you right over the edge.....you just have to remember that people only know you as well as you let them and MANY, MANY, MANY get steel cajones behind a computer screen. LEARN to not take it to heart - "garbage in, garbage out".

Nothing in your life really has anything to do with those people.

Just have fun - and know that hot button topics will always bring out the outrageous.

:)

“think out of the box”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#8 Nov 26, 2010
Doug77 wrote:
What Is A Troll?
The term derives from "trolling", a style of fishing which involves trailing bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The troll posts a message, often in response to an honest question, that is intended to upset, disrupt or simply insult the group.
Usually, it will fail, as the troll rarely bothers to match the tone or style of the group, and usually its ignorance shows.
Hope this helps...
A good answer, btw.

In the 2+ yrs I've been on, the definition has changed somewhat.....then again, so has Topix.

I read an interesting blog about Topix, it's chain of command, etc.

I'll see if I can find for you, if you are interested.

“Especially YOURS”

Since: Aug 10

San Bernardino, CA

#9 Nov 26, 2010
Rocky Anderson wrote:
<quoted text>An example of a TROLL is Your_Name _Sucks. He follows almost every thread and interjects hate and nonsense. He never offers any comment of value. He is an idiot TROLL. He uses mant different aliases like Dixie Diva and You STOOOOpid but he can't hide his style. He is not a good troll as he is always obvious. Some TROLLS are subtle. TROLLS are basically the class clowns of topix or like a heckler. Good for absolutely nothing!
You're right!, you're good for nothing! That's why you BAIT people with bullsh*t threads like this!

“Incorrupta fides, nudaque veri”

Since: May 07

Vincit qui se vincit

#10 Nov 26, 2010
The object of this post is to bring together a definitive document to cover the phenomena of the Usenet Troll. To many a troll is nothing more than an annoying method of defeating the killfile whereas to the heavily killfiled, trolling can be a virtual Godsend.

What I want this document to focus on is how to create entertaining trolls. I have drawn on the expertise of the writer's of some of Usenet's finest and best remembered trolls. Trolls are for fun. The object of recreational trolling is to sit back and laugh at all those gullible idiots that will believe *anything*.

Section 1: What Is A Troll?

The WWW gives this as a definition:

troll v.,n. To utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable responses or flames. Derives from the phrase "trolling for newbies"; which in turn comes from mainstream "trolling";, a style of fishing in which one trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite.

The well-constructed troll is a post that induces lots of newbies and flamers to make themselves look even more clueless than they already do, while subtly conveying to the more savvy and experienced that it is in fact a deliberate troll.

If you don't fall for the joke, you get to be in on it.

The following extract is from a broader expansion of the defining comments given above:

In Usenet usage, a troll is not a grumpy monster that lives beneath a bridge accosting passers-by, but rather a provocative posting to a newsgroup intended to produce a large volume of frivolous responses.

The content of a "troll posting generally falls into several areas. It may consist of an apparently foolish contradiction of common knowledge, a deliberately offensive insult to the readers of a newsgroup, or a broad request for trivial follow-up postings.

There are three reasons why people troll newsgroups:

People post such messages to get attention, to disrupt newsgroups, and simply to make trouble.

Career trollers tend for the latter two whilst the former is the mark of the clueless newbie and should be ignored.

Section 2: Design Issues

A troll is no different to any other Usenet posting. That needs to be stressed.

Any article that you decide to write should be written with a view to it actually being read by large numbers of people. Simply X-posting to large numbers of irrelevant newsgroups is not creative trolling - it is just spam and should be avoided.

The experienced troller spends time carefully choosing the right subject and delivering it to the right newsgroup. With trolls, delivery is just as important as the subject.

Start the troll in a reasonable and erudite manner. You have to engage your readers' interest and draw them in.

Never give too much away at the start - although a brief abstract with hints of what's to come can work wonders.

Construct your troll in a manner to make it readable. Use short paragraphs and lots of white space. Keep line length below eighty characters. Use a liberal amount of emphasis and even the occasional illustration.

A good rule of thumb is that as your troll becomes more and more ludicrous put extra effort into the presentation - this keeps the mug punter confused. Let confusion and chaos be your goal

Vincit qui se vincit

#11 Nov 26, 2010
Section 3: Content
Make your subject a relevant one. Posting "Star Trek Sucks" into hk.forsale is not going to work very well and is liable to utterly destroy your hard earned reputation as a troller overnight.
You do not have to make the subject clear. Trolls are aimed at two audiences, the respondees and the lurkers.
The best trolls reveal their true subject only to the lurkers. In every sense those who reply to your troll are your tools. So choose a theme for your troll and stick to it.
Outwardly you need to appear sincere, but at the same time you have to tell your *real* audience that this is blatant flamebait. Your skill is shown in the easy way that you manipulate large areas of the Usenet community into making public fools of themselves.
Section 4: Newsgroup Selection
Choice of newsgroup is as important as the subject, tone and structure of the troll. You want to appeal to each group you X-post into to ensure responses from each group.
A well delivered troll will anticipate what those responses will be and thus ensure that contradictions will arise amongst the different groups that you are setting up.
BAD:
Posting "USA Sucks" to alt.nuke.the.USA, alt.usa-sucks, aus.flame.usa
This is totally on-topic and obvious. A truly useless troll.
AVERAGE:
Posting "God Doesn't Exist" to all the alt.religion newsgroups
Here you are being too obvious. People recognise this sort of trouble making and have usually learned not to respond to it. However, if your troll is well written you can actually entrap a lot of newbies.
This, if executed correctly, can be exploited to cause great offence to those more experienced troll avoiders on the groups you are attacking. Go for it!
GOOD:
Posting an article that appears relevant to every group but with no connection between those groups other than the fact that you've just trolled them.
The best trolls go out to an average of around eight or nine newsgroups. This will stop them from becoming s waste their time.
Never take sides - remember that your goal is not to win an argument, rather it is to provoke a futile one that runs forever.
If, for example you were attacking Fast Food then you should also X-post to Healthy Eating groups, Environmental Protection Groups, Animal Rights Groups etc....
You want to try to ensure that you have the broadest possible range of opinions as this is the easiest way to sow confusion.
The more confusion the less the likelihood of your troll being exposed for what it is.
It can also be shown that the inclusion of just one totally off-topic newsgroup can have dramatic effects.
The list above is taken from a genuine troll which also included an Artificial Intelligence group, the result of which was to draw Computer Guru Professor Marvin Minsky into a flamewar concerning Ronald McDonald's exploitation of the disabled - an all-time classic piece of trolling - written by a practising veggie.

Vincit qui se vincit

#12 Nov 26, 2010
paintedquote wrote:
<quoted text>
A good answer, btw.
In the 2+ yrs I've been on, the definition has changed somewhat.....then again, so has Topix.
I read an interesting blog about Topix, it's chain of command, etc.
I'll see if I can find for you, if you are interested.
You can say that again! lol
SUCKS SUCKS

Torrance, CA

#13 Nov 26, 2010
Your_Name_Sucks wrote:
<quoted text>You're right!, you're good for nothing! That's why you BAIT people with bullsh*t threads like this!
No bait. Just the truth about you, TROLL. You like to dish iy out, but you can't take it.
LMAO. Go CRY now, sissy.
SUCKS SUCKS

Torrance, CA

#14 Nov 26, 2010
Now go find the misspelled word, anal spelling boy!

“Especially YOURS”

San Bernardino, CA

#15 Nov 26, 2010
SUCKS SUCKS wrote:
I like the different names you use on the SAME DAMN PAGE! Fcuking retarded troll.

“Especially YOURS”

San Bernardino, CA

#16 Nov 26, 2010
SUCKS SUCKS wrote:
Why are you smearing and manipulating paintedquote's comment over on Trivia, gook?
SUCKS SUCKS

Torrance, CA

#17 Nov 26, 2010
Your_Name_Sucks wrote:
<quoted text>I like the different names you use on the SAME DAMN PAGE! Fcuking retarded troll.
I LIKE THAT YOU LIKE FUKCTARD> I AM DOING THIS JUST FOR YOU, moron. here's a couple of muspelled words foryuo. LMAO

“Especially YOURS”

San Bernardino, CA

#18 Nov 26, 2010
SUCKS SUCKS wrote:
<quoted text>I LIKE THAT YOU LIKE FUKCTARD> I AM DOING THIS JUST FOR YOU, moron. here's a couple of muspelled words foryuo. LMAO
No need for you to do this for ME, I'm not new and I can spot you easily.
andet1987

United States

#19 Nov 26, 2010
<quoted text>
what is an MJ?
Michael J*ck Off
SUCKS SUCKS

Torrance, CA

#20 Nov 26, 2010
Your_Name_Sucks wrote:
<quoted text>No need for you to do this for ME, I'm not new and I can spot you easily.
You want to tap my ass? And lick my balls? OK!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min It aint necessari... 773,455
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 41 min Dolphin 441,751
Why black people smell like poop (Nov '11) 41 min Politically Incor... 25
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr hojo 558,855
IRA fading away, analysts say (Sep '08) 1 hr rock white 14
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 1 hr arabian 5,492
kelly bright 3 hr bigbadwolf91869 1
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 hr AussieBobby 264,978
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 6 hr lil whispers 604,737
More from around the web