Leslie Van Houten's parole hearing Au...

Since: Jan 10

Snoqualmie, WA

#1614 Oct 13, 2012
Hi Ted,
I do know Brenda's story, but only met her briefly. She, like most of the other long-termers/lifers, keeps a pretty low profile and just "does her own program" without causing trouble.

She was denied parole in August 2009, and is not eligible for another hearing until 2019...which is ridiculous in my opinion.

For those who may not remember, she was sixteen when she was convicted in 1979, and was given 25 years to life. By her next hearing she will have served 40 years.

Betty Broderick is also housed at CIW, not quite as well-known as Leslie, but because she is very outgoing and social she is very well-known among the inmate population. Like Leslie, Betty is very involved in several programs within the prison, such as tutoring, helping women prepare for high school diploma exams and GED studies, teaching illiterate women to read, etc.

I do have contact information if you are interested in that.

Good to hear from you, Ted. Be blessed.

~Lorrie
TED wrote:
THANK YOU FOR DEFENDING ME LORRIE.... BUT YES, YOU GOT IT RIGHT IN THE END..... DO YOU KNOW THE BRENDA ANN SPENCER STORY..... SHE HAS BEEN IN CIW SINCE ABOUT 1979... SHE USED HER NEW RIFLE TO SHOOT AT SCHOOL KIDS ACCROSS FROM HER HOUSE.. KILLED THE PRINCIPAL AND A COUPLE OTHERS. SHE SAID I DONT LIKE MONDAYS, THIS BRIGHTINS UP THE DAY.... ALSO SAID, WHY WOULD I SURRENER I WAS HAVING TO MUCH FUN.. THIS WAS 1979 IN SAN DIEGO CALIF..... THEY DIDNT DETECT ANY DRUGS IN HER BLOOD... THIS IS ANOTHER TROPHY GIRL FOR THE PRISON... SHE IS REALLY THE ONLY WELL KNOW INMATE IN CIW OTHER THAN LESLIE AND PATTY AT THIS TIME. SHE JUST TURNED 50.... SHE SEEMS SANE NOW AND SHE WAS ONLY 16 WHEN THIS HAPPENED..... JUST WONDERED IF YOU HADE ANY INSIDE INFO ON HER......
TED

AOL

#1615 Nov 2, 2012
HEY LORRIE..... THE BETTY BRODERICK STORY IS PRETTY INTERESTING...... THIS LADY MUST HAVE SOME TEMPER.... AS YOU KNOW SHE KILLED HER EX AND HIS NEW WIFE, BACK IN 1989.... SHE CLAIMED EVERYTHING BUT SELF DEFENSE... HER FIRST TRIAL ENDED IN A HUNG JURY, BECAUSE SHE HAD A GOOD LAWYER... BUT THE SECOND TRIAL, SHE WENT DOWN HARD... TWO 32 TO LIFE SENTENCES... HOWEVER SHE WILL BE OUT NO LATER THAN 2021.... MAYBE EARLIER.... SHE ADMITTED IT AS WELL... THIS IS A SMART AND PRETTY RUTHLESS LADY... AND HAS A SENSE OF HUMOR AS WELL... THEY ALSO MADE A MOVIE ABOUT THESE MURDERS... BUT BETTY WAS 42 WHEN SHE DID THE CRIME, SO SHE HAD A LOT OF LIFES EXPERENCE.... IM GLAD YOU BROUGHT THIS UP...
Lorrie

Snoqualmie, WA

#1616 Nov 3, 2012
You have to remember, Ted...Betty is serving 32 years to life...which means the parole board has the OPTION of releasing her at the 32 year mark, but it is more likely that they will not do so. It is not common for lifers to be paroled in California, even when they have served the minimum of their sentence with exemplary behavior.
Once again it is a situation where the person as she is NOW is very different from how she was when she committed the crime. But again, California rarely paroles an inmate with that little "L" attached to their sentence. Betty has had a stroke already several years ago, and prison is hard on the body...only time will tell if she even survives long enough top attend her first parole hearing.
Blessings,
Lorrie
TED wrote:
HEY LORRIE..... THE BETTY BRODERICK STORY IS PRETTY INTERESTING...... THIS LADY MUST HAVE SOME TEMPER.... AS YOU KNOW SHE KILLED HER EX AND HIS NEW WIFE, BACK IN 1989.... SHE CLAIMED EVERYTHING BUT SELF DEFENSE... HER FIRST TRIAL ENDED IN A HUNG JURY, BECAUSE SHE HAD A GOOD LAWYER... BUT THE SECOND TRIAL, SHE WENT DOWN HARD... TWO 32 TO LIFE SENTENCES... HOWEVER SHE WILL BE OUT NO LATER THAN 2021.... MAYBE EARLIER.... SHE ADMITTED IT AS WELL... THIS IS A SMART AND PRETTY RUTHLESS LADY... AND HAS A SENSE OF HUMOR AS WELL... THEY ALSO MADE A MOVIE ABOUT THESE MURDERS... BUT BETTY WAS 42 WHEN SHE DID THE CRIME, SO SHE HAD A LOT OF LIFES EXPERENCE.... IM GLAD YOU BROUGHT THIS UP...

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#1617 Nov 3, 2012
Lorrie wrote:
You have to remember, Ted...Betty is serving 32 years to life...which means the parole board has the OPTION of releasing her at the 32 year mark, but it is more likely that they will not do so. It is not common for lifers to be paroled in California, even when they have served the minimum of their sentence with exemplary behavior.
Once again it is a situation where the person as she is NOW is very different from how she was when she committed the crime. But again, California rarely paroles an inmate with that little "L" attached to their sentence. Betty has had a stroke already several years ago, and prison is hard on the body...only time will tell if she even survives long enough top attend her first parole hearing.
Blessings,
Lorrie
<quoted text>
How do you know so much about these women who like to kill for fun and pleasure? And why do you think they should be set free?
TED

AOL

#1618 Nov 3, 2012
WE HAVE BEEN DISCUSSING LESLIES CASE FOR A FEW YEARS.... LESLIE HAS DONE MORE THAN ENOUGH TIME FOR HER MINOR ROLE IN ONE MURDER.. WHEN SHE WAS 19 YEARS OLD, BACK IN 1969.... THATS 43 YEARS AGO.... BRENDA WAS 16 IN 1979, AND HAS BEEN IN 33 YEARS.... BETWEEN THE TWO THEY HAVE DONE 76 YEARS, NEITHER ARE THE SAME PERSON.... LESLIE IS UP FOR PAROLE THIS SUMMER, AND MOST OF US THING SHE SHOULD BE RELEASED.... BETTY, WE JUST STARTED DISCUSSING, AND THIS WASNT A FUN KILLING... MORE OF A REVENGE THING.... BUT SHE HAS BEEN IN SINCE 1989.. SO BETWEEN THE THREE LADIES THEY HAVE DONE 100 YEARS.... PRETTY UNBELIEVABLE, IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT....
TED

Deerfield Beach, FL

#1619 Nov 17, 2012
ONE OF THE POINTS I HAVE MADE ABOUT LESLIE IS SHE WASNT A LONG TERM CRIMINAL.... JUST ONE CRAZY ACT... AND SOME PETTY NONSENCE AS A YOUTH.... THIS IS ONE OF THE REASONS I FELT SHE WOULD NOT RE-OFFEND..... MANSON TOLD TEX TO IMPLICATE HER, OR AS HE SAID GET HER DIRTY.... SHE WAS NOT NEEDED TO KILL ROSEMARY.... YES YOU HAVE TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE, BUT THIS IS REALLY OVERKILL.... EXCUSE THE PUN..... AS MOST OF US HAVE SAID, LESLIE IS TOTALLY REFORMED, AND HAS BEEN FOR A LONG TIME....I FEEL THIS IS ONE OF THE GREATEST INJUSTICES OF THE LAST 50 YEARS..... ALONG WITH THE WEST MEMPHIS 3.... CARYL CHESSMAN, KARLA FAY TUCKER, AND SEVERAL OTHERS.... THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DONT HAVE MONEY FOR AN EFFICTIVE LAWYER IN THIS COUNTRY...... AND THROW YOURSELF ON THE MERCY OF OUR SELF SERVING SYSTEM....STILL WAITING TO SEE IF BRUCE DAVIS GETS RELEASED... AND MAYBE LESLIE WILL FINALLY GET PAROLED IN 2013....
Steve

Newcastle, UK

#1620 Dec 14, 2012
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20586070 .
Dear God,
The United States has got to sort out its prisons!
TED

AOL

#1621 Dec 21, 2012
STEVE, YOUR COMPLETLY CORRECT.... I SAW THE CLIP YOU SENT, AND ALABAMA IS A POOR EXAMPLE OF THE PRISON SYSTEM... HOLMAN IS THE WORST PRISON AS FAR AS VIOLENCE AND OVERCROWDING IN THE STATE.. THEY SAY THEY CANT AFFORD AIR CONDITIONING, AND IT GETS SO HOT THE INMATES CAN ONLY GET A FEW HOURS SLEEP AT NIGHT.... I SAW QUITE A FEW INTERVIEWS WITH INMATES AT THAT PRISON RECENTLY ON CABLE, ITS A COMPLETE HELL HOLE.... MOST OF THE INMATES THERE ARE DOING LIFE, OR ARE ON DEATH ROW..... THE WARDEN THINKS HE IS RUNNING A REALITY SHOW AND HES THE STAR.... HALEY BARBOUR THE FORMER GOV OF MISSISSIPPI PARDONED SEVERAL INMATES ABOUT A YEAR AGO AND TOOK SO MUCH HEAT FROM THE PRESS IT WILL BE A LONG TIME BEFORE ANYTHING LIKE THAT HAPPENS AGAIN...... IN ALL THE DEBATES WE HAD HERE FOR THE ELECTION I NEVER HEARD A WORD ABOUT PRISON REFORM....

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#1622 Dec 21, 2012
TED wrote:
STEVE, YOUR COMPLETLY CORRECT.... I SAW THE CLIP YOU SENT, AND ALABAMA IS A POOR EXAMPLE OF THE PRISON SYSTEM... HOLMAN IS THE WORST PRISON AS FAR AS VIOLENCE AND OVERCROWDING IN THE STATE.. THEY SAY THEY CANT AFFORD AIR CONDITIONING, AND IT GETS SO HOT THE INMATES CAN ONLY GET A FEW HOURS SLEEP AT NIGHT.... I SAW QUITE A FEW INTERVIEWS WITH INMATES AT THAT PRISON RECENTLY ON CABLE, ITS A COMPLETE HELL HOLE.... MOST OF THE INMATES THERE ARE DOING LIFE, OR ARE ON DEATH ROW..... THE WARDEN THINKS HE IS RUNNING A REALITY SHOW AND HES THE STAR.... HALEY BARBOUR THE FORMER GOV OF MISSISSIPPI PARDONED SEVERAL INMATES ABOUT A YEAR AGO AND TOOK SO MUCH HEAT FROM THE PRESS IT WILL BE A LONG TIME BEFORE ANYTHING LIKE THAT HAPPENS AGAIN...... IN ALL THE DEBATES WE HAD HERE FOR THE ELECTION I NEVER HEARD A WORD ABOUT PRISON REFORM....
Maybe they should take all the murderers and rapists and put them altogether in jails w/o ac, no tv's,, maybe just a weight room and library. People that murder and rape should not be allowed any luxuries.

Maybe break it down by the crime committed as to how your treated, if you can be rehabbed they should be treated better. But thats as far as I'd go.
TED

AOL

#1623 Dec 21, 2012
RIDER... WE HAVE BETWEEN 2.5 AND 3 MILLION PEOPLE IN PRISON AND JAILS IN THIS COUNTRY.... WELL OVER HALF ARE SO CALLED DRUG OFFENDERS.... AT MOST, 20 OR SO PERCENT ARE SERIOUS VIOLENT OFFENDERS.... THEY SHOULD BE SEPERATED FROM EACH OTHER... FOR OBVIOUS REASONS.. BUT AS FAR AS TREATING THE VIOLENT GROUP WORSE, THAN THE NON VIOLENT GROUP, I WOULD HAVE TO DISAGREE..... MOST OF THE VIOLENT GROUP WILL GET OUT SOMEDAY, AND YOU DONT WANT TO RELEASE A COMPLTELY UNTHINKING MONSTER BACK INTO THIS WORLD WE ARE ALL THROWN IN, AS YOU WOULD SAY.... THIS PRISON SYSTEM IS A DISGRACE... THEY ARE PRIVITISING PRISONS NOW, THE CORPERATIONS THAT RUN THE PRISONS ARE PAYING JUDGES TO SEND THEM MORE PRODUCT... KICKBACKS, FOR YOUNGER AND HEALTHIER INMATES... WE HAVE RECENTLY DISCUSSED THIS... THEY NEED THE DRUG WAR TO FILL THERE PRISONS.. AND KEEP THERE PROFITS IN THE BILLIONS.... THIS IS KILLING THIS COUNTRY AND RUINING FAMILIES.....
TED

AOL

#1624 Dec 21, 2012
JUST ANOTHER THOUGHT, ON LONG TERM INMATES WHO ARE RELEASED..... SQUEAKY FROMME SERVED 34 YEARS, AND WAS RELEASED ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO... ANOTHER MANSON FOLLOWER WHO WAS PROBABLY MENTALLY UNFIT THE WHOLE TIME... SAME FOR SARAH JANE MOORE, WHO DID 32 YEARS.. I THINK YOU COULD SAY BOTH WERE NOT ALL THERE.. HOWEVER YOU HAVENT HEARD A PEEP OUT OF EITHER SINCE THEY HAVE BEEN FREE..... LESLIE IS MUCH MORE LEVEL HEADED THAN THESE WOMAN ... SO MY POINT IS YOU WONT HEAR A PEEP OUT OF LESLIE IF SHE IS RELEASED.... JERRY BROWN THE GOV OF CALIF HAS SAID HE WANTS THE PAROLE BOARD TO START RELEASING LONG TERM INMATES WITH GOOD PRISON RECORDS.... HE ALSO STATED THAT HE HAS CANCER... SO THIS MAY BE A COMMON SENSE GUY... WHO WONT STAND IN THE WAY OF LESLIES RELEASE.....
TED

United States

#1625 Mar 15, 2013
BRUCE DAVIS WAS DENIED PAROLE BY GOV JERRY BROWN ON MARCH 1ST..... QUITE AMAZING REALLY... DAVIS IS 70 YEARS OLD AND HAS BEEN IN PRISON FOR OVER 40 YEARS... IT SEEMS GOV BROWN WANTS TO LIVE IN A SOCIETY WITHOUT FORGIVENESS.... HE GAVE SOME IDIOTIC REASON SAYING DAVIS BY THE NATURE OF HIS CRIME WAS STILL DANGEROUS.... NOT A GOOD OMEN FOR LESLIE AS SHE WILL BE UP FOR PAROLE AGAIN THIS SUMMER..... ITS ALL ABOUT VOTES, AND GOV BROWN HAS DECIDED THIS IS BEST FOR HIM... EVEN THOUGH HE HAS CANCER AND IS OVER 70 HIMSELF....
Steve

Birmingham, UK

#1626 Mar 16, 2013
TED wrote:
BRUCE DAVIS WAS DENIED PAROLE BY GOV JERRY BROWN ON MARCH 1ST..... QUITE AMAZING REALLY... DAVIS IS 70 YEARS OLD AND HAS BEEN IN PRISON FOR OVER 40 YEARS... IT SEEMS GOV BROWN WANTS TO LIVE IN A SOCIETY WITHOUT FORGIVENESS.... HE GAVE SOME IDIOTIC REASON SAYING DAVIS BY THE NATURE OF HIS CRIME WAS STILL DANGEROUS.... NOT A GOOD OMEN FOR LESLIE AS SHE WILL BE UP FOR PAROLE AGAIN THIS SUMMER..... ITS ALL ABOUT VOTES, AND GOV BROWN HAS DECIDED THIS IS BEST FOR HIM... EVEN THOUGH HE HAS CANCER AND IS OVER 70 HIMSELF....
I dont get it. I believe that the United States is firmly on the side of the angels, and in so many areas of life it is the best country on the planet; and yet it presents such a repressive and unforgiving face to its own citizens. Why?
Jimmy

Odenville, AL

#1627 Mar 18, 2013
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont get it. I believe that the United States is firmly on the side of the angels, and in so many areas of life it is the best country on the planet; and yet it presents such a repressive and unforgiving face to its own citizens. Why?
I couldn't agree more. I live in Alabama, not too far from Tutwiler prison which is featured in the U.K. article you listed. I also know someone who was released from that prison a couple of years ago. I would like to say that you cannot judge the U.S. by it's Alabama prisons, but I would be lying.
Back to the point, let's hope that the parole board is a little more forgiving to Leslie who has spent nearly 43 years of her 63 year life in prison the time around. In response to Ted's post, Squeaky still believes Manson was right for what he did and still publically supports him and she was suitable for parole. However, Leslie, who has publically denounced Manson since the early seventies still considered a danger. What is wrong with this picture?
TED

Miami, FL

#1629 Mar 22, 2013
JIMMY, THE SCARY THING HERE IS, ITS NOT REALLY GOING TO MATTER WHAT THE PAROLE BOARD DOES... BECAUSE GOV BROWN HAS THE FINAL SAY, ANS SINCE HE VETOED A FRINGE PLAYER LIKE BRUCE DAVIS I CANT SEE HIM LETTING LESLIE GO FREE.... THIS IS REALLY BAD NEWS.... THE PAROLE BOARD MIGHT JUST SAVE THE GOV THE TROUBLE AND DENY.... I REALLY HOPE IM WRONG ON THIS, BUT I DOUBT IT.....
Steve

Cheltenham, UK

#1630 Mar 23, 2013
As time approaches for Leslie's hearing, maybe we should write in support of her. I am not suggesting a concerted campaign, because that backfired badly in the past. Being a UK resident l don't know who to petition and where to send any letter. Can Ted or Jimmy provide the right address?
TED

Miami, FL

#1631 Mar 24, 2013
STEVE.... YOU COULD WRITE THE PAROLE BOARD AT CIW IN CHINO CALIF, WHERE LESLIE IS HOUSED... OR THE GOV JERRY BROWN IN SACRAMENTO CALIFORNIA... BOTH ADDRESSES ARE ON THE INTERNET.... HOPEFULLY YOU WILL SLAM THIS SELF SERVING GOV JERRY BROWN... IN YOUR OWN WAY OF COURSE.... THIS SHOULD BE ABOUT COMMON SENSE AND DOING THE RIGHT THING FOR SOCIETY AND THE TAXPAYERS, NOT THE GOVS NEXT ELECTION....
simplylorrie

Puyallup, WA

#1632 Dec 13, 2014
TED wrote:
Actually, since the state of California rarely releases lifers at all, I would not expect to see her released in 2021 or any other year. She will sit there forever.
simplylorrie

Puyallup, WA

#1633 Dec 13, 2014
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know so much about these women who like to kill for fun and pleasure? And why do you think they should be set free?
I do not know "these women"...I know a few individual women.
I do not believe their stories are as simple as "killing for fun or pleasure".
I do not believe that "they" should all be released. Life sentences are what they are. However, I DO believe that in cases especially where they are very young when the crime occurred, it is plausible that time HAS made a difference and they could actually do some good if released.
I guess my point is that they are PEOPLE...with histories and experiences all their own. We should view them that way, rather than viewing "these women" all the same.:/
simplylorrie

Puyallup, WA

#1634 Dec 13, 2014
some girl wrote:
Rosemary LaBianca was 38 years old when she was brutally murdered, along with her husband Leno. They never got a chance to see their children marry and have children of their own. Never got a chance to enjoy all the years with their loved ones, because their lives were cruelly taken away.
Leslie needs to spend the rest of her life in prison to pay those lives back... Besides, if the state of California hadn't repealed the death sentence right after the Manson crew were convicted, she would be dead now anyway...
I am glad she has bettered herself, but who paid for all of those college degrees? Tax payers, probably...
Actually, contrary to popular belief anything beyond a basic g.e.d is NOT funded for inmates. Leslie's education was not paid for by the state or by taxpayers.

It ia so helpful to know your facts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 10 min Aerobatty 989,927
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 26 min PROUD EX LESBIAN 42,615
Am I Starting To Like My Step-Cousin? 28 min what I do 2
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 29 min kent 690,645
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 1 hr Prophet Meowmed 39,278
Did you know there are wolves in West Virginia (Mar '11) 3 hr Paul McCartney is... 47
Are your Topix comments helping...or hurting ot... 4 hr Doctor REALITY 6
More from around the web