Is religion ruining our country?

Posted in the Top Stories Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Good N Plenty

Pilot Hill, CA

#1 Oct 20, 2007
It seems all we hear about is talk about relgion nowdays. Whether prayer should be allowed, gay marriage, evangelical vs morman, etc. Wouldn't it be better if religion would just stay out of business and politics? It seems like these days religion is a business so they need to pay taxes.
She Be Me

AOL

#2 Oct 20, 2007
America was founded on Christian principles. The further away America gets form the founding fathers intentions the faster America falls.
Good N Plenty

Pilot Hill, CA

#3 Oct 20, 2007
No, America was founded on religios freedom.
Phly

United States

#4 Oct 29, 2007
"America was founded on Christian principles"

LOL

You need to wake up "She Be Me"
Mkll

Rockford, IL

#5 Oct 29, 2007
Phly wrote:
"America was founded on Christian principles"
LOL
You need to wake up "She Be Me"
According to the Treaty with Tripoli in 1796; "America is in no way founded upon the Christian religion".

Since: Apr 07

Waipahu, HI

#6 Oct 29, 2007
Yes, America is being ruined by religion. Crime, teen pregnancy, STDs, divorce, etc. are all higher here than in other less-religious nations by a HUUUUGE margin.
Lasher

San Diego, CA

#8 Apr 2, 2008
She Be Me wrote:
America was founded on Christian principles. The further away America gets form the founding fathers intentions the faster America falls.
Oh really is that where the term "SEPERATION OF CHURCH AND STATE" came from? How come only 2 of the 10 commandments are laws? Seems to me the fathers were founding the country on secular, moral principles. But please...explain to me your retarded theory.
Beetle Bailey

Washington, DC

#9 Apr 2, 2008
We live in an era in America where "patriotism" is based on whether someone wears an American flag lapel pin, where "supporting our troops" means having to support a war in Iraq that we started because of lies, and where being "religious" means going to a church the size of a basketball arena and turning every discussion into a matter of "god". It is the shallowness and hypocrisy that is killing our society.
Eeka

Las Vegas, NV

#10 Apr 5, 2008
Beetle Bailey wrote:
We live in an era in America where "patriotism" is based on whether someone wears an American flag lapel pin, where "supporting our troops" means having to support a war in Iraq that we started because of lies, and where being "religious" means going to a church the size of a basketball arena and turning every discussion into a matter of "god". It is the shallowness and hypocrisy that is killing our society.
Well put
Roku Roku Roku

United States

#11 Apr 5, 2008
I wouldn't necessarily say religion is ruining our country, but rather fundamentalism is the destuctive force.

“"Winnie the Pooh uncensored"”

Since: Dec 07

Toronto, Canada

#12 Apr 5, 2008
Roku Roku Roku wrote:
I wouldn't necessarily say religion is ruining our country, but rather fundamentalism is the destuctive force.
Very true.
Phly

United States

#13 May 29, 2008
Red Queen wrote:
<quoted text>
Very true.
Disagree...fundies are just OPENLY making fools of themselves---moderates just do at the polls :)

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#14 May 29, 2008
I think it's ruining the Top Stories forum.
Daly City Native

Colorado Springs, CO

#15 May 29, 2008
We need to eliminate religion entirely and let San Francisco values be the guiding light for the country.

Joyful Chaos

#16 May 29, 2008
Lasher wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh really is that where the term "SEPERATION OF CHURCH AND STATE" came from? How come only 2 of the 10 commandments are laws? Seems to me the fathers were founding the country on secular, moral principles. But please...explain to me your retarded theory.
The term 'separation of church and state' is NOT in the Constitution!! It was in a letter. A letter by Thomas Jefferson to a BAPTIST preacher who was concerned that the Constitution would not allow him to practice his religion.

Oh, and just for your enlightenment:

John Adams and John Hancock:
We Recognize No Sovereign but God, and no King but Jesus![April 18, 1775]

John Adams:
“ The general principles upon which the Fathers achieved independence were the general principals of Christianity… I will avow that I believed and now believe that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God.”

•“[July 4th] ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty.”
–John Adams in a letter written to Abigail on the day the Declaration was approved by Congress

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --October 11, 1798

George Washington:
Farewell Address: The name of American, which belongs to you, in your national capacity, must always exalt the just pride of Patriotism, more than any appellation derived from local discriminations. With slight shades of difference, you have the same religion" ...and later: "...reason and experience both forbid us to expect, that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle..."
“ It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and Bible.”
“What students would learn in American schools above all is the religion of Jesus Christ.”[speech to the Delaware Indian Chiefs May 12, 1779]
"To the distinguished character of patriot, it should be our highest glory to add the more distinguished character of Christian" [May 2, 1778, at Valley Forge]
During his inauguration, Washington took the oath as prescribed by the Constitution but added several religious components to that official ceremony. Before taking his oath of office, he summoned a Bible on which to take the oath, added the words “So help me God!” to the end of the oath, then leaned over and kissed the Bible.

Even more here: http://www.eadshome.com/QuotesoftheFounders.h...

Joyful Chaos

#17 May 29, 2008
Writing in Paradise wrote:
Yes, America is being ruined by religion. Crime, teen pregnancy, STDs, divorce, etc. are all higher here than in other less-religious nations by a HUUUUGE margin.
But did you consider that we can longer be called a CHRISTIAN nation?

“Otter”

Since: Jan 07

Oswego, NY

#18 May 29, 2008
Dedicated wrote:
<quoted text>
The term 'separation of church and state' is NOT in the Constitution!! It was in a letter. A letter by Thomas Jefferson to a BAPTIST preacher who was concerned that the Constitution would not allow him to practice his religion.
Oh, and just for your enlightenment:
John Adams and John Hancock:
We Recognize No Sovereign but God, and no King but Jesus![April 18, 1775]
John Adams:
“ The general principles upon which the Fathers achieved independence were the general principals of Christianity… I will avow that I believed and now believe that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God.”
•“[July 4th] ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty.”
–John Adams in a letter written to Abigail on the day the Declaration was approved by Congress
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --October 11, 1798
George Washington:
Farewell Address: The name of American, which belongs to you, in your national capacity, must always exalt the just pride of Patriotism, more than any appellation derived from local discriminations. With slight shades of difference, you have the same religion" ...and later: "...reason and experience both forbid us to expect, that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle..."
“ It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and Bible.”
“What students would learn in American schools above all is the religion of Jesus Christ.”[speech to the Delaware Indian Chiefs May 12, 1779]
"To the distinguished character of patriot, it should be our highest glory to add the more distinguished character of Christian" [May 2, 1778, at Valley Forge]
During his inauguration, Washington took the oath as prescribed by the Constitution but added several religious components to that official ceremony. Before taking his oath of office, he summoned a Bible on which to take the oath, added the words “So help me God!” to the end of the oath, then leaned over and kissed the Bible.
Even more here: http://www.eadshome.com/QuotesoftheFounders.h...
Perhaps you should read this: http://rationalrevolution0.tripod.com/article...
MkII

Rockford, IL

#19 May 29, 2008
Religion/superstition are ruining the planet.
Writing in Paradise

Waipahu, HI

#20 May 29, 2008
Dedicated wrote:
<quoted text>
But did you consider that we can longer be called a CHRISTIAN nation?
We were never a christian nation. We're a nation of mostly christians. That hasn't changed.
jesus is a corpse

Redwater, Canada

#21 May 29, 2008
The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense founded on the Christian religion

by Jim Walker
Originated: 11 Apr. 1997
Additions: 26 Dec. 2004

Many Religious Right activists have attempted to rewrite history by asserting that the United States government derived from Christian foundations, that our Founding Fathers originally aimed for a Christian nation. This idea simply does not hold to the historical evidence.

Of course many Americans did practice Christianity, but so also did many believe in deistic philosophy. Indeed, most of our influential Founding Fathers, although they respected the rights of other religionists, held to deism and Freemasonry tenets rather than to Christianity.

The U.S. Constitution

The United States Constitution serves as the law of the land for America and indicates the intent of our Founding Fathers.
The Constitution forms a secular document, and nowhere does it appeal to God, Christianity, Jesus, or any supreme being.(For those who think the date of the Constitution contradicts the last sentence, see note 1 at the end.)
The U.S. government derives from people (not God), as it clearly states in the preamble: "We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect Union...." The omission of God in the Constitution did not come out of forgetfulness, but rather out of the Founding Fathers purposeful intentions to keep government separate from religion.

Although the Constitution does not include the phrase "Separation of Church & State," neither does it say "Freedom of religion....

http://www.nobeliefs.com/Tripoli.htm

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 2 min dollarsbill 4,628
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min Sherlayne 590,764
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 13 min Tide with Beach 839,923
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 26 min razz58 2,440
Why do white men hate white women who want blac... (May '11) 1 hr Paul is dead 1966 3,078
What Government Hackers Are Trying To Keep Silent 1 hr Mace 4
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 1 hr WasteWater 5,919
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 hr Jac 100,079
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Serah 612,216
More from around the web