“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#775009 Aug 30, 2014
River Tam wrote:
You are free to remain as ignorant as you want. Stilgar's god bestowed upon you Teh Free Will. Use it wisely.
I'm almost convinced that you're Patton Oswalt. It's not just your physical stature that leads me to believe that. You only seem to show up here after Patton has had another major melt down on Twitter.
At any rate, I absolutely loved you on Justified. You're a funny little dude. In fact, Mia and I were laughing like Kookaburras at your earlier posts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =S0ZbykXlg6QXX
https://www.youtube.com/watch...

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#775010 Aug 30, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
The N word will get you every time. The context doesn't matter.
Ask Stilgar. That's why he calls people monkeys and stuff.
On a lighter note, the Wolf Spiders are almost fully grown. In another week or so they'll be as big as my palm.
And that answers the question I just left about whether you could read it in the quote section. Thanks for your help.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#775011 Aug 30, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
And that answers the question I just left about whether you could read it in the quote section. Thanks for your help.
So, it appears as if the workaround is to respond to your post that didn't register globally, and once its been used that way, the entire post will show.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#775013 Aug 30, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =RP4abiHdQpcXX
I hope that wasn't his Birth Certificate.

I did that to a trig homework once when the boy said he didn't have the money that we agreed on. It was just a copy. He sounded just like that but he wasn't laughing. He came up with the money and he passed !!!

That was my first miracle. It was on video so the pope can't deny it.

Saint River has a sound to it.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#775014 Aug 30, 2014
Obviously not.

Embrace the grey.

#775015 Aug 30, 2014
Did the post above at http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE... get censored by Topix? I'm suspicious that it did because it's one of very few posts without judgits.

Location hidden

#775017 Aug 30, 2014
<quoted text>
You're very welcome.

I'm an expert at this.

When you see me post as Probably River Tam or some other obvious grey box, it's because I'm checking to see how many of my posts as River Tam actually made it to the thread. I'm pushing 70%. Yay!!!

Fennario

#775018 Aug 30, 2014
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
You're going to love this story about a man who comes out to his Christian parents and their violent, vile reaction.
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/08/29/georgia...
"...he’s called a “little piece of shit,” a “damn queer” and a “disgrace.” Their own child, treated with such contempt. There are sounds of a struggle. There is yelling. There are invocations of a righteous god (guess by which side). It’s horrific."
“You can deny it all you want to,” says Pierce’s stepmother,“but I believe in the word of God, and God creates nobody that way. It’s a path that you have chosen to choose.”
Pierce tries to explain that science has proven that sexual orientation is not a choice, but an innate quality.
“Scientific proof trumps the ‘word of God,’” he says.
“You go by all the scientific stuff you want to,” she replies.“I’m going by the word of God.”
When Pierce refuses to back down, his family members attack him, punching and slapping him. They call him a “little piece of shit,” a “damn queer” and a “disgrace.”
“What is wrong with you people?” Pierce asks after one bout of physical violence.
“What’s wrong with you?” they scream back.
Yep, good, old, inclusive Christianity! Whoop!
<sarcasm>

Where do you see homophobia there? That's just God's good news about sin. Plus, it's only one person's opinion. You can't blame all of Christianity. Plus, they hate adulterers, too. So where is this mysterious homophobic message, you bigot? I don't see it.

</sarcasm>

Embrace the grey.

#775019 Aug 30, 2014
River Tam wrote:
I hope that wasn't his Birth Certificate.
He might want to run against Rick Perry some day.
I did that to a trig homework once when the boy said he didn't have the money that we agreed on. It was just a copy. He sounded just like that but he wasn't laughing. He came up with the money and he passed !!!
That was my first miracle. It was on video so the pope can't deny it.
Saint River has a sound to it.
Did your second miracle involve a gay beauty pageant?

I'm not saying that andet didn't deserve it or anything. I don't know the guy.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

#775020 Aug 30, 2014
scaritual wrote:
Obviously not.
Hehehe.

Don't know if IANS got 'the warning' when he originally submitted his post... and this is sorta beside that point... but I've had it (the warning) presented to me because of something in the post being responded to and had to edit the quoted text before I could reply.

Talk about a WTF moment...

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#775021 Aug 30, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
He did in these three posts.
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...
<quoted text>
I disagree with his usage.
This equivocation tactic is used by homophobic bigots. They're using it for effect.
I certainly wouldn't want to help them for no better reason than you and Stilgar have.
<quoted text>
I'm sure you have nothing more to add.
You didn't respond to those posts. You responded to the post at which you clicked on the "respond" button. You responded with "incorrect".

He was correct, and you were incorrect.

Location hidden

#775022 Aug 30, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
He might want to run against Rick Perry some day.
<quoted text>
Did your second miracle involve a gay beauty pageant?
I'm not saying that andet didn't deserve it or anything. I don't know the guy.
A homosexual act by an actor.

Actor pretending to be homosexual: You were taught that weren't you?

Other actor who is not pretending to be homosexual: I've heard it said that way, yessir.

Location hidden

#775023 Aug 30, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text> I recall that you are quite fond of telling other people what they believe, so I know that this is a pointless endeavor on my part, but no], I simply lack a belief in a god. I don't think it's likely that any gods exist, so it's not like I'm sitting on the fence or anything, but it's not possible to rule out a god, regardless of how small I consider the possibility, so I don't "firmly believe no god exists."
And in my experience, you are constantly reminded by nearly all of the regulars that they lack a belief in a god, as opposed to believing that gods cannot/do not exist. Some people do believe that the gods so far defined by humanity don't exist, because said gods become easier to discredit as they become less vague.
I was right - you believe no god exists.

You tried to muddle your statement of it by saying you cannot rule out the possibility. But believing it to be so and ruling out the possibility are not the same thing. You are simply saying that you cannot know for sure, but still you believe no god exists.

If you need me to clarify any other of your positions for you, I am available.

Location hidden

#775024 Aug 30, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't respond to those posts. You responded to the post at which you clicked on the "respond" button. You responded with "incorrect".
He was correct, and you were incorrect.
Were you born here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correct,_Indiana

To me, you'll always be in Correct.

Fennario

#775025 Aug 30, 2014
scaritual wrote:
That's him [Tuco]; Bobknobgobblah
Thanks for that.

No wonder he changed socks. He's despised wherever he's known.

Fennario

#775026 Aug 30, 2014
thewordofme wrote:
Bart Ehrman (author, professor) says [Jesus] probably existed, but was purely human.
Jerry Coyne (author, professor) thinks he probably did not exist, or if He did, he was not supernatural.
That's two more ways of saying that Jesus' historicity remains unresolved.

Here's a brief review of the subject from earlier this week, with the first two reasons:

"5 Reasons to Suspect Jesus Never Existed"
http://www.wakingtimes.com/2014/08/27/5-reaso...

1. No first century secular evidence whatsoever exists to support the actuality of Yeshua ben Yosef.

In the words of Bart Ehrman:

“What sorts of things do pagan authors from the time of Jesus have to say about him? Nothing. As odd as it may seem, there is no mention of Jesus at all by any of his pagan contemporaries. There are no birth records, no trial transcripts, no death certificates; there are no expressions of interest, no heated slanders, no passing references – nothing. In fact, if we broaden our field of concern to the years after his death – even if we include the entire first century of the Common Era – there is not so much as a solitary reference to Jesus in any non-Christian, non-Jewish source of any kind. I should stress that we do have a large number of documents from the time – the writings of poets, philosophers, historians, scientists, and government officials, for example, not to mention the large collection of surviving inscriptions on stone and private letters and legal documents on papyrus. In none of this vast array of surviving writings is Jesus’ name ever so much as mentioned.”(How Jesus Became God pp. 56-57)

2. The earliest New Testament writers seem ignorant of the details of Jesus’ life, which become more crystalized in later texts.

Paul seems unaware of any virgin birth, for example. No wise men, no star in the east, no miracles. Historians have long puzzled over the “Silence of Paul” on the most basic biographical facts and teachings of Jesus. Paul fails to cite Jesus’ authority precisely when it would make his case. What’s more, he never calls the twelve apostles Jesus’ disciples; in fact, he never says Jesus HAD disciples –or a ministry, or did miracles, or gave teachings. He virtually refuses to disclose any other biographical detail, and the few cryptic hints he offers aren’t just vague, but contradict the gospels. The leaders of the early Christian movement in Jerusalem like Peter and James are supposedly Jesus’ own followers and family; but Paul dismisses them as nobodies and repeatedly opposes them for not being true Christians!

Liberal theologian Marcus Borg suggests that people read the books of the New Testament in chronological order to see how early Christianity unfolded.“Placing the Gospels after Paul makes it clear that as written documents they are not the source of early Christianity but its product. The Gospel — the good news — of and about Jesus existed before the Gospels. They are the products of early Christian communities several decades after Jesus’ historical life and tell us how those communities saw his significance in their historical context.”

Fennario

#775027 Aug 30, 2014
Joyful8118 wrote:
What one believes/knows through knowledge and faith/belief has much to do with reality.
How do you drink liquid without drowning?
scaritual wrote:
I suspect the puncture wounds all around her mouth resulting from feeding herself with a fork allows enough leakage to prevent drowning.
LOL.

She has earned the respect of so many of us. But like honey badger, she "don't care"

(I think she also eats larvae)

Location hidden

#775028 Aug 30, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>"Global warmists," "militant aborters" etc... Hilarious. Wtf is a global warmist? Is that a fancy word for someone who doesn't believe in a massive, globe spanning conspiracy perpetrated by nearly every climate scientist on earth?
Uh-oh. I found another one.

Welcome, Warmist.

Kerry Claims the Arctic will be Ice-Free by Summer 2013

"In an Aug. 31, 2009, op-ed in the Huffington Post, the Massachusetts Democrat wrote that the threat of climate change 'is not an abstract concern for the future. It is already upon us and its effects are being felt worldwide, right now. Scientists project that the Arctic will be ice-free in the summer of 2013. Not in 2050, but four years from now. Make no mistake: catastrophic climate change represents a threat to human security, global stability, and — yes — even to American national security."

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/state...

Arctic Summers Ice-Free 'by 2013

By Jonathan Amos
Science reporter, BBC News, San Francisco

"Scientists in the US have presented one of the most dramatic forecasts yet for the disappearance of Arctic sea ice. Their latest modelling studies indicate northern polar waters could be ice-free in summers within just 5-6 years. Professor Wieslaw Maslowski told an American Geophysical Union meeting that previous projections had underestimated the processes now driving ice loss."

"Professor Maslowski's group, which includes co-workers at Nasa and the Institute of Oceanology, Polish Academy of Sciences (PAS), is well known for producing modelled dates that are in advance of other teams."

Meanwhile, back in reality,...

Antarctic Sea Ice Coverage Reached Record Levels

"It was a cold summer down in Antarctica, with sea ice coverage growing about 43,500 square miles a day, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSDC). April 2014 beats the previous sea-ice coverage record from April 2008 by a whopping 124,000 square miles."

Fennario

#775029 Aug 30, 2014
Liam wrote:
The Catholic should never get too comfortable in this world. This world is your world not ours. Its you who has grown attached to your immediate pleasure. Rejection and persecution is our destiny, unfortunately.... Jesus didn't come here so we'd have a kick ass pension and a long life of comfort. So keep clinging to your search for worldly happiness...
I consider that philosophy and psychology to be defective. I am so sorry for you. You sound like you're just waiting to die and hoping for something better thereafter.

Here's something I sent to my local freethinkers group:

This is an important argument to bring: not only is spirituality possible outside of religions like Christianity, it can be argued that Christianity is anti-spiritual for its teaching that the soul is born diseased with sin, that we are born temporarily trapped in a casing of base flesh into a race of flawed and (without salvation) damned creatures into a transient world of base matter of little value slated for apocalyptic destruction, that pleasure is bad, and that our attention should be diverted to an imaginary realm, and our gratitude to an imaginary being.

This is all antithetical to my understanding of authentic spirituality, which comprises a sense of mystery, awe, gratitude and connectedness. How can a philosophy and psychology of anti-materialism, misanthropy and nihilism that depicts us as temporary denizens just passing through a failed world in which we were born to suffer on the way to something more pure, more enduring, and more worthy of our respect not do violence to authentic spirituality?
Liam wrote:

"I expect to die in a hospital bed. My successor shall die in a prison. And his successor will die a martyr in the public square" ~Cardinal George, Archbishop of Chicago
Christianity is also a psychology of victimhood.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

#775030 Aug 30, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I was right - you believe no god exists.
You tried to muddle your statement of it by saying you cannot rule out the possibility. But believing it to be so and ruling out the possibility are not the same thing. You are simply saying that you cannot know for sure, but still you believe no god exists.
If you need me to clarify any other of your positions for you, I am available.
There's no proof that a god exists, but still you believe one does.

Do you rule out the possibility that one doesn't?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Pope francis a complete imbeeeeeeeciiiiiile? 5 min andet1987 3
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 11 min Rick in Kansas 263,655
Is Incest with mother is most pleasurable of all? (Feb '12) 13 min Robert 40
Respecting Gays is one way to go to Heaven 19 min andet1987 40
Gays are Gods Children. (Mar '09) 22 min andet1987 8
Last Word + 2 25 min andet1987 951
Gay Parade: Proof that Gays are Loved Worldwide 27 min andet1987 33
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 44 min Pad 555,094
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 1 hr Jan 1,190
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr truth 603,712