Prove there's a god.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#776032 Sep 2, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Lack of belief cannot be a motive for anything. Only an urge or desire can be that.
<quoted text>
Nope. Lack of belief motivates nothing. I lack the belief that a land mine is anywhere I might step, yet I remain in my seat typing. Why? I have no motive to move right now.
Wanting to be somewhere else motivates the next step. Belief that it would be safe has a permissive effect, but even that isn't a motive to take the step.
Belief that it would be unsafe to take that step would not by itself be a motive to not take it. The belief has to be coupled with an urge or desire such as to go on living. If I wanted to die, that belief would facilitate taking that step.
<quoted text>
Even if atheism were a belief, beliefs are not motives. Urges, appetites, tastes, and desires are. Beliefs just inform us how to realize our desires.
You describe motives as if any act is limited to one motivation.

Among the motives for taking a step is the lack of belief you are stepping on a land mine.

It is not only a motive, but a powerful motive.

If beliefs are not motives, what does that do to your argument for diminishing the influence of Christianity?

Their belief in biblical principles and christian-based morality instantiated in government doesn't motivate them to do anything,...

So why the fuss?

Double standards, anyone?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#776033 Sep 2, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Repeatedly. You just did again.
It's hard to see why, but I will speculate. You think that giving an answer will bring the wrath of your god onto you, which suggests that you are not secure in your assertion that the hypothetical god in the question is not the actual god. If you believed that your god would not create a hell or gratuitously torture souls in it, you would have no trouble talking about the death of a god that would. As you can see, I am not afraid to discuss it, because I harbor no insecurity about enraging a god by doing it.
Faith is grounded in fear, and it generates fear.
Haha. Enraging a god?

Dude... Get over yourself.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#776034 Sep 2, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:

Your knowledge is lacking. Many atheist leaders have brutally murdered millions of people to quiet theists, silence religion and advance an atheism state. To deny this is crazy.
That would probably be an excellent rebuttal if I had denied any of the things you claim I denied, or it had addressed any of the points I actually did make.
Can you refute the argument made?
Well good, I'm glad you don't deny it.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#776035 Sep 2, 2014
Why would a fact that challenges their faith be expected to have any effect on committed Christians? Smoking gun proof would be ineffective against faith.
Let me demonstrate. What would serve as proof to you that your god doesn't exist if it doesn't? What if the world was made by and is being run by the Egyptian pantheon, or by nothing at all. What would it take to convince you of either of those?
Faith cannot be defeated by reason, evidence, or proof.
Bullshit. If Ra, Horus and the rest of the Egyptian pantheon gods appeared in the sky for all to see, we would all be forced to reevaluate our current beliefs, even you.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#776036 Sep 2, 2014
dirty white boy- wrote:
I am one.
No non violent offender should have their rights taken away, when they do, they should be reinstated after x amount of classes and dues are paid and they're off parole.
Oh.

A man who is proudly breaking the law, so proud that he tells everyone on an open forum like this, should have his right to vote reinstated.

ROCCO? Is this drug dealer the type of convicted felon you would like to see voting?

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#776037 Sep 2, 2014
<quoted text>
Even if atheism were called a belief, how would it provide an incentive to commit genocide? It doesn't serve as a motivation for me or any other atheist I know to commit genocide. We'd need a reason to kill to do that.
Ask Sam Harris.

“Some beliefs are so dangerous that it may be ethical to kill people for believing them”

Nobody claimed atheism motivates every adherent to commit genocide.

Stalin and Sam Harris are sufficient to make the point that it sometimes does.

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#776038 Sep 2, 2014
Seriously?

Location hidden

#776039 Sep 2, 2014
Yes you, living dead girl

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Manhattan Beach, CA

#776040 Sep 2, 2014
My reply function isn't working.

Redneck, you claim to have undergone change.

All I see is an attempt to avoid blatantly racist or homophobic statements and rants.

But I see no real change.

The original Redneck, the racist homophobe, shows through despite your claim of purification.

Off to the gym.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#776041 Sep 2, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
If not influenced by you, he would have never known you can turn a man into a taco by calling it a "taco", or that a sexual act between two men is not a homosexual act unless they both declare they are homosexuals ahead of time.
I would've also never earned that the guy who started The League of Militant Atheists was theist.

Or the guys in the Society of the Godless were Christian....

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#776042 Sep 2, 2014
<quoted text>
Sure. Any government that isn't secular. How about Attila the Hun's government? His god of war was Hadur. The Assyrians were also theists, so all of their governments were theist regimes honoring their gods such as Ashur, and these were some mighty brutal people. The Celtic and Norse governments were all brutal theistic regimes.
<quoted text>
Is that relevant? Genocide is genocide.
Theists mercilessly slaughtered everyone in Jericho but one family and all of the people of Makkedah, Libnah, Gezer, Eglon, and Hebron. You should steer clear of theists. They're brutal murderers.
I don't see a theist regime in your post.

I don't see a regime declaring "Theism is our belief, and we will kill for theism".

I do see Hadurists, Ashurists, and Norsemen.

Thanks for the tip. I'll steer clear of murderous-looking Hadurists.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#776043 Sep 2, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. This usage invites miscommunication and equivocation and has the potential to cause additional harm to victims of child molestation.
I know I'm asking a lot, considering that the use of that label in this way is the only thing keeping you alive, but it's for the kids.
You aren't worried about the victim.

You're worried about the label.

You don't like the label being involved in pedophilia.

Sell us a bridge.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#776044 Sep 2, 2014
Did Juice say that? If so, I'll have a word with her:
@ Juice: It's wrong to talk about lobbing off Christian's heads. You have lop them off before you can lob them.
Chris Clearwater wrote:
This is one of those times when its great to be on the right. Even though the hate speech you just posted is vile and clearly shows where you stand I'd never wish for people to speak less. Please do share more.
Hate speech? It was a vocabulary lesson. Stilgar quoted Juice using "lobbed" improperly, and I think he wanted me to object.

Does speaking freely have something to do with being conservative?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#776045 Sep 2, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
My reply function isn't working.
Redneck, you claim to have undergone change.
All I see is an attempt to avoid blatantly racist or homophobic statements and rants.
But I see no real change.
The original Redneck, the racist homophobe, shows through despite your claim of purification.
Off to the gym.
Let us know how the gym went.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#776046 Sep 2, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would I do that?
I'll give you a chance to answer it again.
If it were true that lacking a belief in deities was sufficient motivation to kill in one case, why wouldn't it also be sufficient motivation to kill for all people who lack a belief in deities?
Ask it again.

I want to see you rely 3 times on an obvious, naive logical fallacy.

Fallacy of composition; logical fallacies>

"The fallacy of composition arises when one implies that something is true of the whole from the fact that it is true of some part of the whole "

Fennario

#776047 Sep 2, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
Excellent post.
Thanks
Tide with Beach wrote:
Not only do I completely agree with the content, it was well edited. I only see one typo.
LOL

Location hidden

#776048 Sep 2, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh.
A man who is proudly breaking the law, so proud that he tells everyone on an open forum like this, should have his right to vote reinstated.
ROCCO? Is this drug dealer the type of convicted felon you would like to see voting?
I never said I was "proudly" breaking the law, it's what I do, it was simply what it was RR.
I could not care less what you people on this thread think, ask the KSP what I thought about their opinion.
I was a first time convicted non violent felon RR. I gave them people 57 straight months and paid in full. I owed nothing, no PO fees, no restitution, no fines, NOTHING! I have the same rights as a convicted lifer for murder, do you think that's right?
I haven't sold anything in over 2 weeks, I stated on here that I had quit, and was slowly getting away from that..

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#776049 Sep 2, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not saying we should use those labels. I can't imagine when it would ever be useful or necessary.
But if we were to, I think we should adopt the usage that prevents equivocation by sticking with the most popular usage and meaning of "homosexual" when we use the label "homosexual act".
Either you can have homosexuals performing heterosexual acts, which is potentially confusing, or you can have two heterosexual men having sex with each other, calling that a heterosexual act, which is also potentially confusing.
A sexual act involving persons of the same sex is a homosexual act.

That's not the least bit confusing.

Fennario

#776050 Sep 2, 2014
Did Juice say that? If so, I'll have a word with her:
@ Juice: It's wrong to talk about lobbing off Christian's heads. You have lop them off before you can lob them.
Tide with Beach wrote:
Fun fact: Christians, during the early Crusades, launched the severed heads of their enemies over city walls during sieges.
That is a fun fact. Those hooligan Christians!
http://drawception.com/pub/panels/2012/3-29/H...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#776051 Sep 2, 2014
dirty white boy wrote:
I never said I was "proudly" breaking the law, it's what I do, it was simply what it was RR.
I could not care less what you people on this thread think, ask the KSP what I thought about their opinion.
I was a first time convicted non violent felon RR. I gave them people 57 straight months and paid in full. I owed nothing, no PO fees, no restitution, no fines, NOTHING! I have the same rights as a convicted lifer for murder, do you think that's right?
I haven't sold anything in over 2 weeks, I stated on here that I had quit, and was slowly getting away from that..
Well depending on what state you're in, your felony disfranchisement might already be lifted.

Out here, disenfranchisement ends after incarceration and parole is complete.

Have you looked into it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How did black people get here ( economically) 12 min Doctor REALITY 71
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 23 min Jack in the Box 36,694
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr KENTUCKY CATHOLIC 688,651
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 1 hr CongratsYouTool 6,546
Does anyone else hate being around white women? 7 hr hmmmm 25
Main causes of bullying 7 hr Wise above all 3
Dental Visits Are Never Fun 10 hr may i suggest 6
More from around the web