Prove there's a god.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#775341 Aug 31, 2014
atheism is destructive wrote:
<quoted text>
IANS is just another desperate atheist trying to compress his nasty ugly disbeliefs onto others who don't disbelieve like he does.
Atheism is crashing down on itself quickly as the return of Christ is certainly imminent with the rise in apostasy as we see here on topix, the intense rages against Israel as the U.S. ignores its duty to support Israel (another indication America is going to be punished), the technology to force the Mark of the Beast onto the population, the ungodliness and ruthless behavior of atheism spreading like wildfire ....the list goes on how quickly we are ramping up to the destruction of atheists.
God is about to crush them soon. I can't wait to see it all happen.
Ah, you're one of those death fetishists....

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#775342 Aug 31, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Homosexuality has nothing to do with pedophilia.
Hope that helps.
Sure it does...

http://www.examiner.com/article/duke-universi...

...every day of the year.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#775343 Aug 31, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>I am not the claimant of the qualities of the Christian god. The claimant is a third "person", i.e., the Bible.

I am a person reading the qualities, and concluding with you that the Christian god cannot exist with the contradictory qualities, but that the claimant's description being in error is a possibility, along with the possibility that the god he describes does not exist.

So we have two possibilities:(a) the object of the description does not exist, or (b) the object of the description exists and is wrongly described.

Therefore, logic cannot rule out the existence of the described object.

My logic is sound on this; yours is fallacious as it excludes the middle.
But the object of the description wrote the description.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#775344 Aug 31, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>What benefit is derived from our scientists monitoring signals from space for mathematical or verbal syntax to detect intelligence?

They consider that determination useful

The only thing I have ever tried to convince someone of in regards to ID is that it is legitimate science, which it is, and simultaneously strict Darwinism is not in proper agreement with the observations and data. I am correct on that, too.

The reaction of the scientific orthodoxy to ID is another example of actions motivated by "lack of belief".

I threw that one in for Tide.
ID has to create its own definitions in order to pretend it's science.

That makes it not science.

Location hidden

#775345 Aug 31, 2014
<quoted text>
IANS is just another desperate atheist trying to compress his nasty ugly disbeliefs onto others who don't disbelieve like he does.
Atheism is crashing down on itself quickly as the return of Christ is certainly imminent with the rise in apostasy as we see here on topix, the intense rages against Israel as the U.S. ignores its duty to support Israel (another indication America is going to be punished), the technology to force the Mark of the Beast onto the population, the ungodliness and ruthless behavior of atheism spreading like wildfire ....the list goes on how quickly we are ramping up to the destruction of atheists.
God is about to crush them soon. I can't wait to see it all happen.
1 Peter 3:13?

You should concentrate on and anticipate in more positive things and not worry about things like him.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#775346 Aug 31, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
What specifically is an elitist, what is your objection to whatever it is that you define, and what evidence is there that the unbelievers around you fit that description or want to do anything inappropriate to you? Let me answer that last one for you: none.
In the West, unbelievers are principally humanists, meaning that we embrace Enlightenment values. We respect reason, compassion, tolerance, peace, freedom, environmentalism, and the development of all human beings and human endeavors to their fullest potential.
If your best argument against us and our traditions - the very ones that created your personal political freedoms and the science that makes your life longer, safer, healthier, more comfortable and more interesting - is to depict us as genocidal monsters without principles or conscience, then you have no legitimate argument.
The only movement I am aware of in America advocating an oppressive regime is the Christian Dominionist / Reconstructionist movement, which would like to revive a Middle Ages style Christian theocracy. Perhaps you'd like to read about these Christians:
"Death is also the punishment for apostasy (abandonment of the faith), heresy, blasphemy, witchcraft, astrology, adultery, "sodomy or homosexuality," incest, striking a parent, incorrigible juvenile delinquency, and, in the case of women, "unchastity before marriage."
"According to Gary North, women who have abortions should be publicly executed, "along with those who advised them to abort their children." Rushdoony concludes: "God's government prevails, and His alternatives are clear-cut: either men and nations obey His laws, or God invokes the death penalty against them." "
http://www.publiceye.org/magazine/v08n1/chris...
I did not brand ALL humanists as elitists nor proponents of eugenics.
I did say there is undeniably a strain (represented here by some frequent posters) that fits that mold.
I suggested anyone who agreed with a particular post by Curiouslu is a member of that group.

Since: Aug 14

Location hidden

#775347 Aug 31, 2014
?6

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#775348 Aug 31, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
There is little resistance to the academic conclusion, except among the fringe, or as [Ehrman] calls them, "mythicists".
Is it you, Ehrman, or both calling skeptics "the fringe"? And just who is being called the fringe? Agnostics who say that the issue is unresolvable at this time, or people claiming that a historic Jesus definitely didn't exist?
< barely audible sound of a distant rooster crowing dawn >

It sure would be nice if you would answer the questions asked. I don't know any other way to force this discussion to progress than to answer them for you and offer the chance to correct me if I guessed wrong. As you'll see, I need your answers to do that.

Here are the assumptions with which I will proceed in the rest of this post:

[1] It is Ehrman calling somebody the fringe, not you.

[2] The fringe refers to agnostics not willing to positively affirm the existence of a historical Jesus.
Buck Crick wrote:
The fringe who resist the evidence for Jesus' existence are also denouncers of religion, according to Ehrman. The nonexistence of the man would be extremely useful.
We don't need it.

And we're not a fringe. There is no compelling argument that a historical Jesus existed. Anybody who says that a Jesus did or did not exist beyond doubt is speaking without justification. And everybody else - from those that say probably yes to probably not - comprise this agnostic "fringe who resist" coming to a conclusion using inconclusive evidence.

Fennario

#775349 Aug 31, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Ehrman is the best scholar on the subject, does not believe in the man-god, and he says the evidence shows the man existed.
I don't respect or trust anybody who debates like Ehrman. That's not what I call scholarship, and I have already said so.

"And Ehrman is definitely not one of us, or in our camp as you put it. He doesn't write like an unbiased scholar - dispassionately. He smears his critics. He begins by associating them with Holocaust deniers - Imagine the opening sentence ending with the phrase, "is it any surprise to hear that Santa never even existed?" - and ends by challenging their sanity and claiming for himself that he has offered a range of compelling evidence. That is for the reader to judge, not the author. These tendentious tactics are the hallmark of propagandists "
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

Add "the fringe" to that.

Sorry, but if you have to marginalize the opposition to counter its argument, you go from being scholar to propagandist. Respectable scholars simply don't write like that.
Buck Crick wrote:
I have seen no compelling contrary argument
We don't need a compelling argument that Jesus didn't exist, just a compelling argument that he might not have, and we have that. The lack of proof of Jesus' existence is a compelling reason to conclude that he might be mythical even absent any "mythicists". And the arguments presented by such naysayers amplify that. There is no rational position possible on an undecidable issue but agnosticism

Fennario

#775350 Aug 31, 2014
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
Sometimes that works... it used to work. Maybe Topix's filtering protocols have been expanded to include leet-speak? That one reply to Buck simply would not post. It wouldn't register signed-in, signed-out, as quoted text... on the whole, nothing worked. It was split into sections... the problem section was identified... and only after posting it as individual sentences, one per post, was I successful at submitting. There was nothing to begin with... no profanity or impoliteness... nothing whatsoever that should've prevented it from taking. The other day I tried to respond to Catcher... or garF... one of them.... and received the warning because, as best I could figure, the word "r3dn3ck" was in the quoted text. I just quit trying... it wasn't that important anyway. Topix implements the most inconsistent and nonsensical filtering mechanism Hukt's ever encountered.
Thanks for your insights.

I don't know if Topix is interested in their user's problems, but my experience with Internet behemoths is that they're difficult to communicate with and seem uninterested in the public's opinion. I think SETI got more of a response from space than I got from Yahoo.

Location hidden

#775351 Aug 31, 2014
<quoted text>
What does this god actually do besides hurl tsunamis and floods?
I believe that you are unwilling to call anything your god's fault, which makes your defense of its about as compelling as a mother who refuses to find fault in her son and blames everything that happens on other people.
Secular ethics (rational ethics) is radically different from Christian ethics. We would hold anybody with the power to prevent avoidable suffering who chose to do nothing morally culpable if not also criminally culpable. Christians blame mankind and a devil that they believe this same god created exactly as he wanted them with full foreknowledge of what motivates them and what they will do.
Until you make up for all those ants you walked on, I don't want to hear any more of your sniveling drivel about unavoidable suffering.

Too bad the ants can't hold "you" accountable.

“First it steals your mind..”

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#775352 Aug 31, 2014
<quoted text>
I don't know if Topix is interested in their user's problems, but my experience with Internet behemoths is that they're difficult to communicate with and seem uninterested in the public's opinion. I think SETI got more of a response from space than I got from Yahoo.
Well,,,, there was one lil' ol' response.

That beats not only Yahoo, but Google as well.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#775353 Aug 31, 2014
<quoted text>
You seem to be going through a rough patch, Juice. I wish I knew how to make you feel better about humanity and its future.
Its an unsolvable conundrum.
Civilization is unfortunately a bit of a sham.
People are certainly capable of incredible acts of kindness and caring.A stranger who hears of someone who will die without a kidney donor and offers one of theirs if they are a match.That seems undeniably good.Then there are less clear cut acts of charity.Perception is indeed reality to many.. A few months ago I was in a gas station and i noticed a guy checking the ground for cigarette butts
he found one with the slightest bit of tobacco and lit up.He was not asking for anything but I went inside and bought him a pack,handed it to him said enjoy and walked off. He just looked at me with a surprised look on his face. Did I really do him a favor? I was thinking about it as I left. Maybe not in the long run I decided but for the short term he seemed happy. Sometimes thats the best we can hope for.People are also capable of incredible acts of barbarism.
Who and what the negative influences are that need to be eliminated is the bone of contention
In the end things will just continue on as they have so the best course of action is to just make the best of it.

Location hidden

#775354 Aug 31, 2014
<quoted text>
You have to know how to "speak" to these types to get satisfaction. Twit.

“What?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#775355 Aug 31, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Sure it does...
http://www.examiner.com/article/duke-universi...
...every day of the year.
The article doesn't mention if the man is left handed or not. That's shoddy journalism, sir.
atheism is destructive

Alabaster, AL

#775356 Aug 31, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, you're one of those death fetishists....
AHH, you're one of those persecution fetishists.
atheism is destructive

Alabaster, AL

#775357 Aug 31, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to remember that you're dealing with Buck, resident of Buckistan.
In Buckistan, words only mean what Buck says they mean. Buck knows he can't win arguments in the real world, so when cornered, he just makes up his own definitions (atheism, infinity, pedophilia).
Buckistan is a sad place...
This is spam, and you are nuts and clueless. Just liked your post has been judged.

Location hidden

#775358 Aug 31, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
I cannot agree to that. Nowhere in the Bible is homosexuality called a crime, moral or otherwise.
Sure it does...

http://www.openbible.info/topics/man_shall_no...

...and biblehub link has "unlawful sexual relations" as category.

C'mon, it's called an abomination and punishable by death, just like bestiality.

The least you could have done was a little googling. Any decent researcher does.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#775359 Aug 31, 2014
I have not seen any evidence presented in the history of mankind that deities exist outside the imagination of humans.
I have, however, seen plenty of evidence presented on this thread alone that the vast majority of people who believe in deities are ignorant, delusional, deceitful and/or insane.
Huh

United States

#775360 Aug 31, 2014
<quoted text>
He's suffering from atheism.
His indoctrination into it has ruined his hopes.
Christianity will cure that and bring back hope and peace.
Haha. Look what it has done to you. No, thank you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min President DonJ Trump 675,595
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 10 min UIDIOTRACEMAKEWOR... 110,283
Lido Theater, Dallas (Mar '12) 25 min Roxanne 474
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 31 min Palanty 46,195
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 1 hr Classic 4,087
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 hr Retribution 15
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr UIDIOTRACEMAKEWOR... 184,752
More from around the web