Prove there's a god.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#774748 Aug 29, 2014
timn17 wrote:
A joke?
A priest, a rabbi and a pastor walk into a bar.

The bartender says; "Is this some kind of a joke?"

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#774749 Aug 29, 2014
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
Frikkin...!!!
Hukt just figured out why he was having problems posting... now there are no reply links upon which to clicky-click!
Grrrrrrrrrrrr...!!!
Guess IT IS TIME to update some software on ol' teesixone.
Thanks, Topix dudes...
Ya bunch a up-ta-date pains in da arse!
*Hands Hukt a Cheeto*

It'll be ok.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#774750 Aug 29, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>My statement wasn't bs, which you would have known if you had taken 5 seconds to google it instead of jumping in feet first and making it clear that you are willfully ignorant.
Poverty is indeed an excellent predictor for crime, and there is a reason for that. Poverty begets crime - it's not as if all poor people who turn to crime are simply bad people.
Btw, being an atheist is associated with *not* being a criminal, whereas high levels of religiosity are often found in prisoners.
Maybe it has something to do with that whole idea that one can be totally evil on earth and get a "get out of hell free card" by saying a quick prayer.
"Poverty begets crime" is a good phrase, it works. If somebody is stealing so that they can eat, how can we rightly prosecute them for doing a bad thing? They're just hungry.

But when a person steals so that they can go buy some crack, we should fry their asses.
WSH

Talladega, AL

#774751 Aug 29, 2014
feces for jesus wrote:
<quoted text>
You're such a disgusting troll, it's really pointless trying to engage in any rational conversation or debate with you.
Many women use birth control to regulate their mentral cycle, but you're too busy bashing women for having sex to understand or see the full picture re: womens health.
Fetuses are not human beings, but we know that you are not capable of intelectual honesty.
1 in 5 pregnancies do not make it to term. Better get your pitchfork and point it at your god for killing so many lives.
I find it hilarious how you atheist nimrods always blame God for all bad things that happen just after you claim He doesn't exist. It's your Satan that causes bad things. Why do you worship your filthy Satan you mangy retard?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#774752 Aug 29, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
The Christians.
<quoted text>
Even if that were true, taking your money and home are not finger wagging.
Christianity is one nonstop act of scornful judgment. The basic vocabulary of Christianity is finger wagging. Sinner, judgment, the fall, curses, disobedience, atonement, fool, vile, pride, idolatry, adultery, whoremonger, fornication, homosexuality, impiety, blasphemy, lust, damnation. Wag, wag, wag.
Really?

Have you ever seen Al Gore give a speech on global warming?

Have you seen the skeptics of the cause referred to as "holocaust deniers"?

How about the accusation that to be patriotic, you have to be for higher taxes and more wealth redistribution?

How about the race baiters saying there is a war against black men?

The finger wagging from the left is everywhere.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#774753 Aug 29, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:

I'm not asking you to jump through hoops, I'm asking you to support your (so far bare) assertion that "Christians would turn America into a brutal, authoritarian Christian theocracy in a heartbeat if give the chance".

I'm not asking you to jump through hoops, I'm asking you to support your (so far bare) assertion that "Christians would turn America into a brutal, authoritarian Christian theocracy in a heartbeat if give the chance". that "Christians would turn America into a brutal, authoritarian Christian theocracy in a heartbeat if give the chance".
There are a multitude of indications that that is the case.
First, when in history has there been a government controlled by the church that wasn't authoritarian? What distinguishes the political structures of Middle Ages from modernity is the advent of secular government (church-state separation), an Enlightenment value. Let's keep religion out of government.
Second, look at the philosophy and psychology of Christian doctrine. It supports kings. It is about submission, judgment, and punishment. And its god doesn't take surveys or count hands. It issues commandments.
Are you going to argue that not all Christians would be happy losing democracy and their personal political freedoms? If so, no doubt. But I say that they won't the kinds of Christians that call the shots. The ones that achieve and hold power are consistently authoritarian, judgmental finger waggers.
That's cool but I'm asking you to support your assertion.

21st century Christians are vastly different than 14th century Christians. We're smarter, more organized, global and have a better understand of Scripture. You can't compare us to them.

It's similar to 21st century atheists being different than 14th century atheists. Or 21st century farmers being different than 14th century farmers.

Location hidden

#774754 Aug 29, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
"Poverty begets crime" is a good phrase, it works. If somebody is stealing so that they can eat, how can we rightly prosecute them for doing a bad thing? They're just hungry.
But when a person steals so that they can go buy some crack, we should fry their asses.
The theory that poverty causes crime is thoroughly debunked.

It's a ploy of the left for more wealth redistribution.

Location hidden

#774755 Aug 29, 2014
<quoted text>
Yes, we have.
And I would go further than you did and say that Americanism is definitely not founded on any Christian principle at all, nor could the creator referred to possibly be the Christian god. The principles of Christianity were indissolubly linked to the principles of monarchy. There is almost no connection between Christian philosophy, which is authoritarian, demands obedience, and is focused on commandments and judgment, and Americanism, which began with the overthrow of a king, the repudiation of aristocracy, and the elevation of man subject to free, self-governing citizen.
Americanism is characterized by principles like democracy, egalitarianism, the rule of law, personal political freedoms, and limited, transparent, and secular government - all humanistic, Enlightenment ideas, and all reactions to the theocratic traditions of the Middle Ages. None of those Christian principles is represented in the US Constitution, and none of the principles of Americanism are found in the Christian bible or the Middle Ages governments that actually are founded on it.
If the writers were sincere that a god was involved, they must have been referring to some other god, most likely the deist god. But it is equally possible that they were giving lip service to a concept that tied the past with their new way of viewing the world - through the lens of Enlightenment ideals. Overthrowing a king was definitely a break from the ideology of the Middle Ages, which was very Christian. The Christian god empowers kings, and expects subjects to obey them. It was probably difficult for many colonists to accept this impiety, and throwing in a god couldn't hurt. It was a strategically sound thing to do.
Most of the founders were Christians.

The Christian god and the Deist god are the same god.

The preponderance of evidence indicates that the founders were sincere about divine creation and rights of man being endowed by God.

They went to a lot of trouble to emphasize that.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#774756 Aug 29, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
There is a variety of examples to look at, not just him.
Though I agree the theology is hooey, some who believe it are very good people.
I agree that many Christians are good and decent people. What I am asking is how somebody who is allegedly filled with a Holy Spirit can be such a failed human being. Where is the supernatural presence? I am convinced that there is none, and the evidence supports that. Christians have to do much better than everybody else for us to take their claims about their god seriously.

Location hidden

#774757 Aug 29, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I wonder how you'd feel about bigfoot if a large segment of the population worshiped him and a good segment of this believer population were always trying to influence public policy based on their interpretation of bigfoot's wishes for humanity. Aside from these bigfoot followers using the previously mentioned tactics to mold the world to bigfoot's wishes, imagine if they had (owing to thousands of years of cultural influence) inundated society with various "harmless" and not so harmless facets of their belief. For example, imagine if bigfoot's birthday celebration had morphed into a mass orgy of consumerism, completely dominating the winter season; imagine if the revelry completely transformed society for its duration, complete with believers demanding that all others show respect to their ludicrous traditions - taking great offense should people decide to, for instance, say "happy birthday to all mythical creatures" as opposed to "happy birthday bigfoot." Imagine if believers decided that a war was being waged against their religion because their ability to impose every element of it on others had been slightly curtailed in recent years.
Imagine if our money said "In Bigfoot we Trust," and if when we sneezed, "Bigfoot Bless You" was a typical response. Imagine if your wife couldn't get an abortion to save her life because bigfooters had decided that their savior bigfoot values the sanctity of a zygote. Imagine if wars had been waged by bigfooters against abominable snowman believers; if the discrimination of gays, minorities, and many others had been justified by "bigfoot's book" many times throughout history and even in the modern world; imagine if you were expected to believe in bigfoot or face being ostracized at best or outright hated at worst; imagine if belief in bigfoot was used to shield child molesters; and imagine if bigfoot belief had directly contributed to a general attitude of anti-intellectualism and anti-science.
I could keep going, but I think you get the idea.
The point you seem to miss is that no one would care if believers simply worshiped bigfoot (erm, I mean god) in private. It's the fact that believers seek to impose their morality, ideas, and way of life on everyone else that makes people a tad bit upset.
I could list all the flaws in your analogy, but it wouldn't matter.

You don't want someone else's morality, ideas, and way of life imposed.

Because you want yours imposed.

Location hidden

#774758 Aug 29, 2014
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Yo RR
Sooooo,,, the claim is that the evil deity, entity or demigod is in charge of the earth realm, whilst the good deity, entity or whatever is in charge of the hereafter?
Not to put too a fine point on it, but I think statements like the above, are what irked me the most about not only Christianity, but religion has a whole. The assurance that even though a person's life may be crap, at least he or she can have a better one when they die. So give money, pray, visit the temples and churches and then you will have this better life, obviously when you are dead. Dead people cannot come back and say "no, dude, that's all wrong, there is no Deity X and there is no hereafter version Y".
It is very easy to make promises that will never be kept. It is even easier to make promises on behalf of a deity that will also never be kept.
Well no, beer was part of the problem. Along with speed and immovable objects.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#774759 Aug 29, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
You're overlooking the likelihood that most priests are probably gay men to begin with - which means they are the most likely group to molest young boys. Few heterosexual men would agree to abstain from sex with a woman for their lifetime.
I see no reason to assume that the incidence of homosexuality is higher in men who become priests than in other men. And the vow is to avoid sex, not heterosexual sex.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#774761 Aug 29, 2014

Perhaps, but I would be surprised if that's true for two reasons:
Imposing celibacy on a group of men and then limiting their means of venting their lusts has got to lead to a lot of situational pedophilia with altar boys.
I doubt that Protestant pastors get the same help that priests get, help that keeps them in business such as an apparent code of silence among priests, and an organized system of intimidation, relocation and hush money payoffs all done independently of law enforcement.
My greatest objection is not to the predation itself, which probably cannot be reduced to zero even by letting priests marry, but by the systematic coverup. Those crimes, which may outnumber the rapes themselves 10:1, should be prosecuted as equivalent to the rapes, maybe as worse.
Woah now. Priests choose that profession, they CHOOSE celibacy. It isn't imposed on them.

Location hidden

#774762 Aug 29, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
That's simply not credible. The anxiety is because homosexuality has been demonized and gays marginalized, and experiencing homosexual urges in a world where you know that family, friends, acquaintances, and strangers are conditioned to view you disapprovingly would be threatening. In another time and place where homosexuality was not stigmatized, there would be no such anxiety.
It's amazing to me how blind you are to this phenomenon and Christianity's role in creating it in Western culture. Who in these threads is calling homosexuality a sin - an abomination to a perfect god? Christians. True, not all, but so what? Everybody that is is Christian. Christian homophobia is manifesting itself through those susceptible to it. If you refuse to pile on, good for you. But Christian homophobia remains prevalent. You manifest it in a diluted form. You're not overtly attacking gays people, but your refusal to see the problem and its source is due to your god belief.
I don't buy that for a minute.

There is a natural revulsion among heterosexuals for homosexual acts, particularly the prospect of them being performed on or performed by oneself.

It doesn't have to be taught.

Since: Sep 10

United States

#774763 Aug 29, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
That's your view. I disagree.
<quoted text>
Which time and place is that?
<quoted text>
I am, and so are many others.
BUT - I'm also calling adultery and theft an abomination to God.
Do you think Christians are to blame for the guilt of cheating on a spouse or the punishment for taking something that doesn't belong to you?
<quoted text>
That's THE point of contention here, IANS. "Not all". You shouldn't dismiss that so quickly.
<quoted text>
Do you think I'm homophobic because I agree with the Bible on homosexuality?
If so, then you must also think I'm adulteryophobic too
<quoted text>
Saying something is a sin, or abominable to God, doesn't constitute a phobia.
<quoted text>
I'm researching the problem. That's why I ask so many questions - I want answers.
No, you don't want answers.
At least, no answers that will conflict with your brainwashed mind.
You will find, in your "research", only confirmation of your twisted views.
I applaud IANS for his efforts to get through to you.
But for me, as I have said before, absent some exceptional circumstance you are a lost cause.
Off to the hotel gym.

Location hidden

#774764 Aug 29, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Of course. All believers are the ultimate arbiters of the origin of the universe and the meaning of existence.*Of course* a lone hunk of rock floating in the infinite expanse of the abyss is where the real action is - the rest of the universe exists solely as a backdrop to one god's hilariously sadistic experiment here on earth.
You are looking from inside a bubble.

I don't expect your explanation for the bubble and why you are in it is any better than anyone else's.

Location hidden

#774765 Aug 29, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
You were correct to use "promote".
RCC policies regarding priesthood do more than facilitate pedophilia.
You're full of crap.

RCC policy condemns pedophilia.

Gay men are the largest promoters of pedophilia.

Unless someone calls a gay man a taco. Then he is merely a taco.

Since: Apr 14

Location hidden

#774766 Aug 29, 2014
Can someone please PM me when and if IANS stops throwing his tantrums. The noise from his tantrums and crying is unbearable. That and Curious, Feces, and many others incessant BS and childish/baby behavior. It's worse than preschool. My children are more grown up than MOST of these unbelievers. Debate, instead of throwing tantrums and attacking/bullying. Didn't your parents teach you anything?

Location hidden

#774767 Aug 29, 2014
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry I don't meet your high standards dude.
:-)
You're a supporter of liberal democrats - nobody expects you to have standards.

Location hidden

#774768 Aug 29, 2014
thewordofme wrote:
Do you suppose its Buck Crick or atheism is destructive going around giving each other up-judge-its?
Guess I'll have to reciprocate.
Buck has never used a judgit.

Buck speaks his mind straight to you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
There is Everything Wrong with Abortion (Nov '07) 5 min Liam R 221,989
The Christian Atheist debate 9 min Critical Eye 1,972
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 47 min Gods r Delusions ... 599,550
What Your Church Won't Tell You by Dave and Gar... (Apr '10) 56 min Roger Bemfree 33,180
Why Use Mickeysoft Office? 1 hr danastafford 1
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 1 hr andet1987 6,295
bless the jews (Nov '08) 1 hr Yeshua save 7,373
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 3 hr -Stray Dog 6,426
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 8 hr Great Day of Arma... 612,898
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 10 hr Pegasus 272,404
More from around the web