Prove there's a god.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#774524 Aug 28, 2014
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...
Stuart Cudahy wrote:
You killed Benazir Bhutto. Murdered the westin Pakistan? What are you talking about?
What are you talking about? I haven't stayed at a Westin in years, and never in Pakistan.
Stuart Cudahy wrote:
Just as science needs the religion of the infinite expressed, religion needs the true seeing heart. It's the language, you see? Stu
No, Stu, I don't see. I don't see any use for religion except for the one it creates, like cigarettes.

Your last three words reminded me of this: "You see! You see! You're stupid mimes. Stupid! Stupid"

It's kind of like some of the debates we have here on Topix. It begins with bad science (really bad, like Dave Nelson bad) and evolves into insults and then a smack in the face. I think the one actor fcuked up his line and said "stupid mimes" instead of "stupid minds."

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#774525 Aug 28, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Nice post, as well as the similar ones before it.
On an unrelated topic, can you or anybody else find or generate an estimate of what the value in dollars of a share of America is worth? By that I mean the difference between all public assets and all public liabilities (which exceeds the national debt) divided by the total population. I wonder if that number is positive or negative. I've had difficulty doing that myself in part because I don't know the language of macroeconomics well enough to know those numbers are called (what's the opposite of the national debt?), and don't know what debt obligations there are apart from the national debt. I know, for example, that Americans have huge veterans expenses that will be coming due over the next few decades that aren't included in that figure. Also, there will be interest expenses on the debt.
That would be extremely difficult and would probably only end up with a ballpark figure at best. You'd have to calculate many variables, including real price, labor price, income values, historic standards of loving and operating cost, economic status, etc.

Besides, I don think there's such a thing as a "share of America", anyway.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#774526 Aug 28, 2014
Haha edit last:

loving/living

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

United States

#774527 Aug 28, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, I already know your opinion of the matter.
My sentiments towards you are similar.
You're an athibot, a lost cause, indoctrinated since youth to believe there's no God, and nothing is likely to change your belief.
I had no indoctrination whatsoever.

And to say that homosexuality is the principal cause of homophobia is unadulterated bigotry.

Blame the victim.

You remain the bigot you always were, Redneck.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#774528 Aug 28, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
too early in the morning for me......where's my bed?
my last post to Buck - sorry bud....I screwed it up and reversed everything I wanted to post.....here it is again......CORRECTED......than ks!
The "right" move to the left and the left moved to the "left"?
HUH?
Citation please.
You already cited me.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#774529 Aug 28, 2014
Joyful8118 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, not contradicting. I am being open-minded. So, if we say we know that there is only one God/Creator, who is everyone's, you all tell us we are closed-minded. However, when we are open-minded, you all say we are contradicting ourselves or are wishy-washy. I was being open-minded, but saying that I believe there is only one God/Creator, who is everyone's. Yes, of course there are false Gods.
No, that is not what I said. Try quoting me and telling the truth of what I said. Truth is the important thing. I already have my truth, but still trying to learn others ways. You don't seem to be though. So, who is the closed-minded one? You are.
If you say there is only one god then you aren't being open-minded. And how are you deciding which gods are false?

As for truth and belief, you prefer belief. And belief is alot more likely to lead you away from truth than toward it. If you want to prioritize truth, then you'd prioritize critical thinking and look for objective evidence, something all religions lack.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#774530 Aug 28, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
Why do people, including unbelievers, blame God for people dying? Because they think that He is the ruler of this world, is all powerful and has the ability to prevent death. They forget God's plan and they forget that God focuses more on the eternal, not the mortal. They also don't know a simple truth that the Bible teaches:
The real ruler of this world is Satan.
"...the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one." 1 John 5:19
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
No it isn't. You have no proof of this claim, and sound as if you are just trying to scare people.
Half right.

I have no proof, it's my belief along with a few billion other people.

I wasn't trying to scare anyone, I don't know why you think I was.
Why do you think "God" created a being that would cause harm and "confusion" to "His children" - which seems to be done - all on purpose?" Odd.
On purpose? You think the confusion that humans have is God's doing? Hmmm...

Location hidden

#774531 Aug 28, 2014
<quoted text>
My understanding is that it's ad hominem when it's part of argument, as in "That can't be correct because you're an idiot," not because it's true or false. A mere "You're an idiot" is an insult whether true or not.
I certainly hope so, since that's how I meant it.

Fennario

#774532 Aug 28, 2014
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
. Attacking someone by name-calling or shooting at them with all caps is not ad hominem. Ad hominem occurs when you reduce someone’s argument to undisclosed motives—motives that you’ve inputted to the person.“You’re only saying that because you’re a…/you believe…/you’re [insert emotional state, e.g., envious]” are the less subtle forms of this common strategy."
More: http://platoshead.wordpress.com/2012/10/16/a-...
G'night.
OK, thanks for that. That sounds right.

Location hidden

#774533 Aug 28, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, semantics; just not your thing.
Theism is distinct from religion, Ass Wipe.

No semantics involved.

Except for the calling you an ass wipe portion.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#774534 Aug 28, 2014
Joyful8118 wrote:
<quoted text>
Different time and place, different culture and I might have different values in some areas, but I have no doubt in my mind that I would still be worshiping the same Creator/God. There is only one for all people, no matter what each person calls him. I disaee. Faith is a very reliable path to truth, as is knowledge. I have faith and knowledge of the Creator/God. No, not having faith will lead away from truth.
HAG&WD.
So if you were born centuries ago in an isolated culture that had never heard of the Abrahamic God you think you'd spontaneously know about it somehow? Mmmmmm, nope.

How does faith lead one reliably to truth? Belief doesn't create reality. What one chooses to believe may have little to do with reality, and there is no mechanism for correction.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#774535 Aug 28, 2014

Your last three words reminded me of this: "You see! You see! You're stupid mimes. Stupid! Stupid"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =XhvDMhrws1oXX
It's kind of like some of the debates we have here on Topix. It begins with bad science (really bad, like Dave Nelson bad) and evolves into insults and then a smack in the face. I think the one actor fcuked up his line and said "stupid mimes" instead of "stupid minds."
But unlike Topix, the snarky scientist wannabe guy got his teeth knocked in.

Fennario

#774536 Aug 28, 2014
beenterprises11 wrote:
My friend, let no man deceive you, hell is a grim and dreadful reality.
Stilgar will call you a liar. He's a Christian, but he likes that word anyway.

Location hidden

#774537 Aug 28, 2014
<quoted text>
Nice post, as well as the similar ones before it.
On an unrelated topic, can you or anybody else find or generate an estimate of what the value in dollars of a share of America is worth? By that I mean the difference between all public assets and all public liabilities (which exceeds the national debt) divided by the total population. I wonder if that number is positive or negative. I've had difficulty doing that myself in part because I don't know the language of macroeconomics well enough to know those numbers are called (what's the opposite of the national debt?), and don't know what debt obligations there are apart from the national debt. I know, for example, that Americans have huge veterans expenses that will be coming due over the next few decades that aren't included in that figure. Also, there will be interest expenses on the debt.
Nice post??

It was claptrap.

Do you agree with Someone's Elf that tax dollars do not pay for abortion?

That the government has shrunk under Obama?

That the IRS didn't target conservative groups for extra scrutiny?

I may have over-estimated you.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#774538 Aug 28, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
And to say that homosexuality is the principal cause of homophobia is unadulterated bigotry.
Blame the victim.
You remain the bigot you always were, Redneck.
Hold on there, homie. That phrase has nothing to do with bigotry unless you read it with an ignorant eye.

"Although the causes of homophobia are unclear, several psychoanalytic explanations have emerged from the idea of homophobia as an anxiety-based phenomenon. One psychoanalytic explanation is that anxiety about the possibility of being or becoming a homosexual may be a major factor in homophobia."

Catch that?

"anxiety about the possibility of being or becoming a homosexual may be a major factor in homophobia."

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows...

This is open for debate, but bigotry is not the intent.

Location hidden

#774539 Aug 28, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
If you say there is only one god then you aren't being open-minded. And how are you deciding which gods are false?
As for truth and belief, you prefer belief. And belief is alot more likely to lead you away from truth than toward it. If you want to prioritize truth, then you'd prioritize critical thinking and look for objective evidence, something all religions lack.
We saw your idea of "critical thinking" when you claimed the Pope is an atheist.

That will do.

Please, don't try critical thinking again. Thanks.

Location hidden

#774540 Aug 28, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>

Ohhh,...yes you did.

Tell us where you went to college and law school, and I'll tell you about your indoctrination.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#774541 Aug 28, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Morning Mac, how goes it?
BTW Why is that it’s only godbots (people like buck in particular and RR too) who are under the impression that atheism is an official anything. I guess it must be the old,‘I believe in ‘x’ and he/she does not believe in ‘x’ therefore they must believe in ‘y’ because I don’t believe in ‘y’’. Can it be that typical godbot indoctrination deliberately ignores the rest of the alphabet?
Hi, Chris. Doin' pret' well, thanks - how goes it in your neck of the woods?

And yes, that's called the "Excluded Middle" fallacy. Quite common among extremists and absolutists.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#774542 Aug 28, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
If I were a Topix Atheist!, I'd probably accuse you of being a pedant or using semantics or some shit.
Then I'd tell you to seek professional help.
Immediately.
Haha
Odd. Why would you do that?
I merely answered your question.

Fennario

#774543 Aug 28, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
But unlike Topix, the snarky scientist wannabe guy got his teeth knocked in.
That was hilarious, wasn't it.

Incidentally, I recently learned about something called The Benjamin Franklin Effect here on this thread < http://youarenotsosmart.com/2011/10/05/the-be... >, and I can vouch for its accuracy

"The Misconception: You do nice things for the people you like and bad things to the people you hate. The Truth: You grow to like people for whom you do nice things and hate people you harm.

"Franklin’s autobiography never mentions this guy’s name, but according to the book when Franklin ran for his second term as clerk, one of his colleagues delivered a long speech to the legislature lambasting Franklin. Franklin still won his second term, but this guy truly pissed him off. In addition, this man was “a gentleman of fortune and education” who Franklin believed would one day become a person of great influence in the government. So, Franklin knew he had to be dealt with, and thus he launched his human behavior stealth bomber.

"Franklin set out to turn his hater into a fan, but he wanted to do it without “paying any servile respect to him.” Franklin’s reputation as a book collector and library founder gave him a standing as a man of discerning literary tastes, so Franklin sent a letter to the hater asking if he could borrow a selection from his library, one which was a “very scarce and curious book.” The rival, flattered, sent it right away. Franklin sent it back a week later with a thank you note. Mission accomplished.

"The next time the legislature met, the man approached Franklin and spoke to him in person for the first time. Franklin said the hater “ever after manifested a readiness to serve me on all occasions, so that we became great friends, and our friendship continued to his death.”

You called me a liar recently in anger, and I generally make you pay a price for that. But I let it slide without even a comment. I just now realized why. I have recently done you a favor in a series of private messages, one that you thanked me for. I'll let you disclose the details of that if you choose to. It would be an indiscretion for me to do so, but not for you.

Those who see what we do here on Topix as a pointless, non-stop flame war are not taking full advantage. There is much to be learned. Every one of us now knows something almost nobody knows: get an adversary or detractor to do you a kindness, or just make him think he has, and you have less of an enemy. How valuable is that?

There is a reason why so many busy and talented people find time to meet at this watering hole week after week, year after year, and it isn't the flame wars. This is a special thing we have here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 min RiccardoFire 7,360
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 12 min Aerobatty 123,504
News Teacher back in class after Bush-Hitler comparison (Mar '06) 40 min Timbra 169
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 56 min Anthony MN 681,787
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr lil whispers 619,457
Muslim airlines, Qatar, attempting stake in Ame... 2 hr gimme 8
Virginia man charged with espionage for deliver... 3 hr Brice N Livingston 8
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 20 hr onemale 286,526
More from around the web