“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#772241 Aug 22, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
And that reminds you of the Christian creation myth how?
Have you seen any of the other creation myths? They're just as close to the scientific account as the Christian one. Here's the Babylonian version:
"The mighty Marduk took his club and split Tiamats body in half. He placed half of her body in the sky and made the heavens (space). He created the moon to guard the heavens, and set it moving back and forth, on endless (time) patrol (energy). With the other half of Tiamat's body he made the land.(matter)" http://mesopotamia.mrdonn.org/marduk.html
Here's the Viking version:
"Odin, Vili, and V killed the giant Ymir. The sons of Bor then ... made the world (matter) from him. From his blood they made the sea and the lakes; from his flesh the earth; from his hair the trees; and from his bones the mountains. They made rocks and pebbles from his teeth and jaws and those bones that were broken. Maggots appeared in Ymir's flesh and came to life (life). By the decree of the gods they acquired human understanding and the appearance of men, although they lived in the earth and in rocks.
"From Ymir's skull the sons of Bor made the sky (space)... The sons of Bor flung Ymir's brains into the air, and they became the clouds. Then they took the sparks and burning embers that were flying about after (time) they had been blown out of Muspell, and placed them in the midst of Ginnungagap to give light to heaven above and earth beneath (energy). To the stars they gave appointed places and paths." http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/creation.html
Here's yours:
"In the beginning, God created the universe. At first the earth was shapeless and covered in darkness, and God's spirit hovered over the waters. God said, "Let there be light". And there was light. God divided the day from the night, naming them ' day' and 'night'. This was the first day and God saw that it was good.
"On the second day God made the heavens to separate the water from the earth and on the third day he raised the dry land up from the waters below the heavens and commanded the earth to bring forth all plants. God saw that it was good. God then made the greater light for the day and the lesser light for the night, and he saw hat it was good. This was the fourth day.
"On the fifth day God commanded the waters to fill with living creatures and the air to fill with birds. And he was pleased with what he saw. On the sixth day God commanded the earth to bring forth all kinds of living creatures and he saw that it was good. God then said " Let us make man in our own image". So God created man and woman in his own likeness and gave them authority over all living things. God looked at everything he had made and was very pleased. On the seventh day, God rested."
None of them mentions the singularity, the expansion of the universe, the inflationary epoch, symmetry breaking, particle condensation, nucleosynthsis, the decoupling of matter and radiation, the hundreds of millions of years before starlight, the 9 billion year delay before the formation of the sun and earth, the moon creating impact event, the cooling of the earth, the formation of a crust, or the evolution of life over deep time.
Why would they?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#772242 Aug 22, 2014
<quoted text>
I don't think you understand what the Golden Rule is and is not. It's about how we treat others, not opinions about reality. Apart from "You're a loser in life like you are here on Topix," none of those constitutes treatment of a person.
Second, the Golden Rule is just one guideline for behavior, and not always the dominant one in every circumstance. If you throw a punch at me, the Golden Rule doesn't have much application. What I do next will be what is best for me, not you.
Regarding, "You're a loser in life like you are here on Topix," that's a reaction to a person that has taken multiple virtual punches at me. Joyful was treated as I would like to be treated until that began. I no longer care how she would like to be treated. Now she's being treated as she treats others.
The Golden Rule is that you should treat others the way you want others to treat you. You're not following it.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#772243 Aug 22, 2014
<quoted text>
That's not the face the church shows the world. That's merely how it describes itself.
Did you miss the battle over legalizing gay marriage? We saw the church fighting to impose its values on unbelievers.That's the public face of Christianity: selfish and discriminatory, not fair, inclusive, tolerant or loving. And then the church whines that we are imposing our values on it by succeeding in making the option legal for those interested in availing themselves of it. How selfish, unjust, intolerant, and unloving is that?
The most vile businesses in the world are apt to have glowing mission statements and exemplary corporate values framed and hanging in the office lobby. Don't believe what they say. Believe what they do.
Okay wait. H-h-hold on.

You say we saw "the church" fighting to impose its values on unbelievers and that is selfish and discriminatory.

Did you miss the countless churches favoring gay marriage, supporting gay groups, performing gay marriages? You must've missed those.

You also must of missed all the Christian votes supporting gay marriage.

You are absolutely incorrect. If you were correct, then every gay marriage vote would've been shot down by at least 75% to 25%. But that was never the case.

Let's try to stick to the facts here okay?

The fact is SOME churches promote anti-gay agendas. Some. The fact is SOME Christians promote anti-gay agendas.

If you want to be seen as an honest man, you will stop your lies about Christianity and Christians. You will stop lumping us all together as anti-gay, anti-atheist haters. You will stop pretending that there is "the church". You will stop pretending that every Christian goes to Westborough Baptist Church.

Nothing is further from the truth.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#772244 Aug 22, 2014

Perhaps I have assumed too much. Please forgive me, and allow me to try again:
If Jesus ever lived, he's dead now.
Believing anything other than that would be faith based thought.
There's more of your faith-based thinking.

"If Jesus ever lived, he's dead now."

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#772245 Aug 22, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
It's 6 a.m.
No it's not.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#772246 Aug 22, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say you have anything to apologize about, I'm saying when you do have something to apologize about it's perfectly okay to apologize.
You said "never apologize", which I disagree with. Sometimes an apology is warranted.
So let's have it.

I'm ready.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#772247 Aug 22, 2014
curiouslu wrote:

No need.
You said that christianity teaches love and fellowship.
The joyless satan bot's behaviour opposes what you have said, as she is your christian sister.
You also back her up by remaining shtum when she calls people demons.
You called me a crazy liar, that isn't loving fellowship either.
It's hellish behaviour really and I should know. Being a crazy, lying demon and all.
psssst: A Christian is not Christianity.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#772248 Aug 22, 2014
I am right wrote:
IANS is stubborn because he adores and worships his monstrous evil god named satan. Atheists are horrible people and have always been that way since the creation of man.
Nah.

You're not right.

San Francisco, CA

#772249 Aug 22, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
An abstraction is something that exists only as an idea. I agree, infinity only exists as an idea.
Thanks for your valuable contribution.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#772250 Aug 22, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
After writing this:

"christians don't think it's evil to sodomise little kids"

You don't get to berate people for lying.
curiouslu wrote:
This drivel from the guy who defends christianity.
Keep your mindless projections to yourself, that wasn't berating, it was encouragement. A person needs to lie much better than that to be one of my demons.
"Lie much better than that"?

Thanks for admitting that you lied.

Moving on

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#772251 Aug 22, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
So let's have it.
I'm ready.
Did you put the lotion in the basket yet?

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#772252 Aug 22, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
That's weird but okay.
Go ahead and disseminate your message all over computer screens. We Christians will do that on the streets, with real-live-human-being-like conversations.
Politics, religious issues and propaganda aside, the internet is a powerful medium. Yeah, it may be quite a bit different from flesh world interactions, I do think that communication this way has its benefits:

1) Audience. Without the internet, we all would not have had known each other. I am unable to communicate with some pretty cool folks on here without it.

2) Cost. What would a phone call have cost me to make to the US every day?

3) You can shut it off when you want to. If you dont like the stuff we are saying, simply switch it off, sit on the pier and drink a beer.

4) Vast amount of charming, educated and witty folks can be met with ease. Name on other medium where you can meet a more intelligent bunch than on here. Folks like Polymath, Darwin's Stepchild, Hidingfromyou and Fossil Bob are in cyberspace alongside you. Even folks you don't get a long with, like IANS, whom you have had your issues with over the past few years. He is a seriously qualified and educated dude.

5) You learn about other cultures. How many Australians do you know? How many people have you met that went there once? Ditto South Africa? Ditto Japan? Ditto England? I for one have learnt a hell of a lot about America since being on here. I have heard about your issues, politics, etc. I have a better understanding what it means to live as an American, because of people like you, Catcher, Hukt, even Buck.

I won't go on record saying that this is better than the flesh world, or even as good as. I am saying that this is different, its anonymous and can be quite entertaining. And my online friends are all what I would consider friends - if ever I can do them a good deed in the flesh world, I will.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#772253 Aug 22, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
Thanks for your valuable contribution.
You're welcome, now let's pray.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Please grant me the wisdom to be free from greed and selfishness. Remind me that the best things in life are free. Love, laughter, caring and sharing.

In Jesus' name, Amen.

San Francisco, CA

#772256 Aug 22, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither is cracker, monkey or towel head.
What's your point?
Here's my view:

If you call a black person a monkey (and I'm surprised you brought this one up!), you are being a bigot against black people. If you call somebody a towel head, you are being a bigot against a Muslim. One is a race, one is a religion.

If you call somebody a redneck (or if you call yourself a redneck), you are using a term to describe "a white person who lives in a small town or in the country especially in the southern U.S., who typically has a working-class job, and who is seen by others as being uneducated and having opinions and attitudes that are offensive." (Webster's)

Yes, the person is white; and yes, he likely lives in a rural environment; and yes, he is generally uneducated. But the use of the term relates to the person's "opinions and attitudes that are offensive." I find the opinions and attitudes of rednecks offensive. And apparently, although you initially came on here as a self-described redneck, you are doing your best to do away with your former redneck attitudes, which you now realize have an offensive nature. It is apparent you no longer wish to be identified as a redneck. For that, I congratulate you. Keep working at it. You're doing a reasonable job (although you can still be a real dick).

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#772257 Aug 22, 2014
Double Fine wrote:

Politics, religious issues and propaganda aside, the internet is a powerful medium. Yeah, it may be quite a bit different from flesh world interactions, I do think that communication this way has its benefits:
1) Audience. Without the internet, we all would not have had known each other. I am unable to communicate with some pretty cool folks on here without it.
2) Cost. What would a phone call have cost me to make to the US every day?
3) You can shut it off when you want to. If you dont like the stuff we are saying, simply switch it off, sit on the pier and drink a beer.
4) Vast amount of charming, educated and witty folks can be met with ease. Name on other medium where you can meet a more intelligent bunch than on here. Folks like Polymath, Darwin's Stepchild, Hidingfromyou and Fossil Bob are in cyberspace alongside you. Even folks you don't get a long with, like IANS, whom you have had your issues with over the past few years. He is a seriously qualified and educated dude.
5) You learn about other cultures. How many Australians do you know? How many people have you met that went there once? Ditto South Africa? Ditto Japan? Ditto England? I for one have learnt a hell of a lot about America since being on here. I have heard about your issues, politics, etc. I have a better understanding what it means to live as an American, because of people like you, Catcher, Hukt, even Buck.
I won't go on record saying that this is better than the flesh world, or even as good as. I am saying that this is different, its anonymous and can be quite entertaining. And my online friends are all what I would consider friends - if ever I can do them a good deed in the flesh world, I will.
Five very good points. I can't argue any of them.

I suppose you're on to something - that none of us wouldn't never known each other (as little as we do 'know' each other) without a site like this.

Also, that we (hopefully) have learned something from each other, whether it be positive or negative.

Thanks.

“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#772258 Aug 22, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
After writing this:

"christians don't think it's evil to sodomise little kids"

You don't get to berate people for lying.

"Lie much better than that"?

Thanks for admitting that you lied.

Moving on…
When have I ever said otherwise?

It's illogical for you to imply that a crazy, lying demon would care about a christian's opinion of it.

San Francisco, CA

#772259 Aug 22, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
The monster you refer to doesn't exist. God does not put people in hell for eternity.
Born-again Christians will live in Heaven for eternity, people that have rejected God will die. The same death you atheists think will happen to everybody, you just turn off like a broken radio.
That's why your question is irrelevant.
There is no hell?

Somebody better tell Joe Cooley.

San Francisco, CA

#772260 Aug 22, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't ask me, I can't keep up with kids and their lingo.
"Feed the chicken" is the latest one.

Catcher is hip.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#772261 Aug 22, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:

Here's my view:
If you call a black person a monkey (and I'm surprised you brought this one up!), you are being a bigot against black people. If you call somebody a towel head, you are being a bigot against a Muslim. One is a race, one is a religion.
Hold it. Did you proofread that?

If you call a black person a monkey, you are being a bigot against black "people". But if you call someone a towel head, you're being a bigot against *A* Muslim.

Why? Why do you differentiate the two? Wouldn't you say if you call a black person a monkey, you're being a bigot against that person, not black people in general?
If you call somebody a redneck (or if you call yourself a redneck), you are using a term to describe "a white person who lives in a small town or in the country especially in the southern U.S., who typically has a working-class job, and who is seen by others as being uneducated and having opinions and attitudes that are offensive." (Webster's)
It's a mildly offensive term, one that gets thrown about carelessly because it's okay to be offensive to white folks, that's the PC of it anyway.
Yes, the person is white; and yes, he likely lives in a rural environment; and yes, he is generally uneducated. But the use of the term relates to the person's "opinions and attitudes that are offensive." I find the opinions and attitudes of rednecks offensive. And apparently, although you initially came on here as a self-described redneck, you are doing your best to do away with your former redneck attitudes, which you now realize have an offensive nature. It is apparent you no longer wish to be identified as a redneck. For that, I congratulate you. Keep working at it. You're doing a reasonable job
I find it offensive that you keep using the term redneck the way you do. Please stop.

A few pages ago, Tide said that he would find it offensive if someone called him a redneck, so
(although you can still be a real dick).
That ain't gonna stop, ya Yankee Doodle Dandy.

San Francisco, CA

#772262 Aug 22, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
No it's not.
Yes, it was.

Time is just a place.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 5 min mike 604,956
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 9 min Lyndi 175,600
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 13 min Charlie Sheen 265,089
Moses never existed 17 min Khatru 747
Our God Is The Mighty Creator Of All Things! 23 min Stormy 1
The Global Elites Are Moving Things Underground 26 min Marty Fong 5
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 33 min Native Indian 5,520
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 49 min Estelle 559,329
Why Im no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 3 hr Barnsweb 441,764
More from around the web