Prove there's a god.

“First it steals your mind..”

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#772935 Aug 24, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Infinity (I) divided by any number (N)= infinity.
Any physical distance within (I) can be expressed as a fraction of (I), or (I)/N, which equals infinity.
The fractions include the length of your nose.
Once again, go write to somebody about it. You could get rich.

Really, man. Give it a whirl

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#772936 Aug 24, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it is. Think of what finite means, then think of the opposite.
Physicists and I don't think it is.

Unbounded means that it continues. Finite means that any progression of its path is represented by a real number.

A continual path around a sphere is an example of a finite but unbounded path.

Likewise, a circular path around a donut.

And both are imaginary.

Location hidden

#772937 Aug 24, 2014
<quoted text>
That would be nice. I don't see much of that.
Of course, people that don't believe in gods do all of the good that they do with no expectation of a heavenly reward - all of them. It really isn't moral behavior if you're doing it for a reward.
So doing good is not a rewarding endeavor for atheists?

Then why do they do it? Boredom?

Location hidden

#772938 Aug 24, 2014
<quoted text>
No, it's just one of the definitions.
<quoted text>
No god belief is a god belief? We need to come to some common understanding of what is reasonable and what is true before we can proceed. I can't work with a logical calculus in which no god belief is considered a god belief. The only apparent opposite I know of that can be considered equivalent are "maybe" and "maybe not."
Try reading what I wrote.

I didn't say that "no god belief is a god belief".

I wrote atheists have a god belief. The belief is that no god exists.

Atheism is not "having no belief". It is a belief concerning god. So it is a god belief which happens to be opposite of the god belief held by theists.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#772939 Aug 24, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Defining any stretch as finite proves the path is not infinite. Any division of a physically infinite path is also infinite.
Division, yes. Subtraction, no. I am excising a finite piece from an infinite run, like taking the first six integers off of the natural numbers, What is removed is finite, and what remains is infinite.
Buck Crick wrote:
Further, nothing would be able to move on your infinite path in order to traverse any portion of it.
The first movement of any distance would be an infinite distance. An ant attempting to walk around the donut would be frozen in time. If you straightened your path to include an apple breaking loose from a tree branch, the apple would float in midair, never falling, from now till the end of time.

LOL.

Location hidden

#772940 Aug 24, 2014
<quoted text>
You are unable to impose that definition on others.
<quoted text>
I believe that there is no evidence for a god, nor any need at this time to posit the existence of one. I also believe that it is true that I have no method to positively rule the possibility of gods existing out.
I say that makes me an agnostic atheist. I am an atheist because I am not a theist, and I am an agnostic one for not positively asserting that no gods exist. I say that if they do, they are as yet unknown and unknowable to us.
What name is better than agnostic atheist to describe that position?
"Atheist".

You are skirting the issue by phrasing your position as "not positively asserting that no god exists".

This avoids the crux of the matter, which is belief.

Anyone who "believes" that no god exists, if judicious, will not assert positively that no god exists, because this implies certainty of knowledge. Belief is not certain knowledge.

My assessment is that you believe, or are convinced, that no god exists. But you refrain from exaggerating this to imply that you possess certainty of knowledge that it is, in fact, the case that no god exists.

It is a testament to intellectual honesty that you refrain from the certainty of knowledge claim. But I think the categorization of this view to something other than atheism is,...dare I say,...pedantic.

You are a plain ole' atheist, I-man. At least this is my belief.

Location hidden

#772941 Aug 24, 2014
<quoted text>
Why are you dividing? We're excising, which is subtracting. I'm removing a finite stretch of an infinite journey. It remains infinite, and the piece I removed is finite.
I don't think you've ever told me why you give so much energy to this cause. Why do you care so much how others understand infinity? It doesn't seem to matter any more than what their favorite Harry Potter novel is.
Yes, you are subtracting a portion. But the portion you are subtracting is a division - it is a fraction of the entirety. It doesn't matter what particular fraction, because any fraction of an infinity is infinite.

Therefore, one revolution of the donut is infinite. Same for two revolutions.

The Infinite Donut Paradox

I'm thinking of publishing it...."Infinity and Other Materialist Myths".

Fennario

#772942 Aug 24, 2014
curiouslu wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/xeMH9oP.jpg
"Upon his release from Emory Hospital, after weeks of intensive care and receiving an experimental serum that cured him of the deadly Ebola virus, Dr Kent Brantley proclaimed; "god saved my life"... If that is the case, allow me to suggest that next time you contract a deadly disease, that you simply pray about it and prove it..."
How repulsive is that? I really can't find anything I like about that religion.

Thanks for the link, Juice.

Location hidden

#772943 Aug 24, 2014
<quoted text>

I don't think you've ever told me why you give so much energy to this cause. Why do you care so much how others understand infinity? It doesn't seem to matter any more than what their favorite Harry Potter novel is.
I don't know.

Just seems like the right thing to do.

Fennario

#772944 Aug 24, 2014
Freebird USA wrote:
When dealing with the personality that embraces fundamentalism of any stripe there is the worry that they are just as extreme when they reverse course.
Are you alluding to the possibility of fundamentalist atheism?

Location hidden

#772945 Aug 24, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize there are two distinct definitions of infinite and infinity.
It should have clued in which one I am using, when I say you can't count to infinity
because it would take forever. This is also the definition IANS, Hukt, and anyone with any cosmic understanding uses to describe a process.
But you fail to recognize it is a valid definition of infinite and infinity, despite the fact it is.
"The limit of the value of a function or variable when it tends to become numerically larger than any preassigned finite number ."
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/inf...
The potential infinity exists and is a mathematical certainty.
The completed infinity, the one that you yammer endlessly about is as impossible to
exist as counting to infinity. No one uses that definition anymore, it's prehistoric, but it's fun watching you wiggle around the valid definition, with your completed infinity.
Never the less the infinite exists in reality, the expansion of space/time is as real infinity
that exists as long as the universe is expanding it is a mathematical certainty.
As is the finite distance between the sun and the stars 14.3 Gps away, becomes infinite to
any attempt to span the distance.
So tell us ...are you still atheist on a unicorn? hahahah
You just argued that an actual infinity cannot exist, but does exist.

If a completed infinity cannot exist, a potential infinity cannot exist.

There is no potential for something that cannot exist.

You are infinitely lost.

Fennario

#772946 Aug 24, 2014
Karma is a_______ wrote:
I find it quite amusing. Most conservative evangelical Christians deny Global Warming/Climate change, evolution, the Big Bang theory and other sciences. Yet when they get sick, they rely on modern medicine and science to cure them. They then turn around and praise the Lordy Jesus for saving them. What's that saying There are no Christians in the ICU.
"You stare into your high definition plasma screen monitor, type into your cordless keyboard then hit enter, which causes your computer to convert all that visual data into a binary signal that’s processed by millions of precise circuits.

"This is then converted to a frequency modulated signal to reach your wireless router where it is then converted to light waves and sent along a large fiber optics cable to be processed by a super computer on a mass server.

"This sends that bit you typed to a satellite orbiting the earth that was put there through the greatest feats of engineering and science, all so it could go back through a similar pathway to make it all the way here to my computer monitor 15,000 miles away from you just so you could say,“Science is all a bunch of man made hogwash.”- anon.

Location hidden

#772947 Aug 24, 2014
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
No problem, 8118.
Lemme redo that. I'm on my PC now where I can read what I'm posting and this way reads better...
"Poe's law states, basically, that in a place like this thread, it's difficult to discern between sincerity and deceit; between displays of genuine character and counterfeit ones."
Anyway...
You aren't the first nano's slanted like that.*If* I remember correctly, she did it to Al Garcia as well.
This is just for further emphasis...
If you are a poe...
Then...
You're either a really, really, good one...
... or a really, really bad one.
You never answered my question.

Is the distance of expansion of the universe an actual infinite distance?

Location hidden

#772948 Aug 24, 2014
...one word is sufficient.

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#772949 Aug 24, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You did time at Marion Adjustment? So did I.
I escaped. They didn't find me for 2 weeks.
Then they sent me to Eddyville. You don't escape their.
Yes..

Location hidden

#772950 Aug 24, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize there are two distinct definitions of infinite and infinity.
It should have clued in which one I am using, when I say you can't count to infinity
because it would take forever. This is also the definition IANS, Hukt, and anyone with any cosmic understanding uses to describe a process.
But you fail to recognize it is a valid definition of infinite and infinity, despite the fact it is.
"The limit of the value of a function or variable when it tends to become numerically larger than any preassigned finite number ."
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/inf...
The potential infinity exists and is a mathematical certainty.
The completed infinity, the one that you yammer endlessly about is as impossible to
exist as counting to infinity. No one uses that definition anymore, it's prehistoric, but it's fun watching you wiggle around the valid definition, with your completed infinity.
Never the less the infinite exists in reality, the expansion of space/time is as real infinity
that exists as long as the universe is expanding it is a mathematical certainty.
As is the finite distance between the sun and the stars 14.3 Gps away, becomes infinite to
any attempt to span the distance.
So tell us ...are you still atheist on a unicorn? hahahah
If you are going to claim that "potential infinity" is a legitimate term, you cannot reject a term that distinguishes infinity from potential infinity.

You can choose "completed infinity", or "actual infinity", or create a term that means the same thing.

To accept one and reject the other is incoherent. You are trying to rig the game.

Fennario

#772951 Aug 24, 2014
Freebird USA wrote:
Apparently the production of solar panels also produces a toxic sludge which then must be dealt with. Multiply the panels and you multiply the sludge.
Thanks for that. Maybe we can put that sludge in containers and rocket it to Venus. It might vaporize there due to the temperature.

Location hidden

#772952 Aug 24, 2014
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay. "No"... with the caveat, "I don't really know and could be wrong." That's the best you're gonna get from me, Buck.
Like you said to another, you've been here a while. This whole place is more-or-less like a big ol' paintball arena. Getting hit might sting a little, but it can't cause any real harm... unless one's a bona fide w_ssy... which, in this "arena of words"... you most definitely ain't. I certainly can't mess wid ya. There are only a few here that can keep up wid ya.
It was also mentioned to 8118 there being some brilliant people here and some utterly stupid people here. To which camp do you think Hukt assigned you?
If someone *actually* believes that Buck Crick is dumb-as-a-rock... then they're a freggin' idiot.
I'm tired of butterin' ya up...
Ya big lugnut!
Prove there's a god.
OK.

Did I ever tell you about the time I got caught on TV against Notre Dame smoking a cigarette in the huddle?

Massive object on right side of screen at 8:28...

Location hidden

#772953 Aug 24, 2014
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. I know "some" physics, and that's being generous. All I really "know" is that I seem to comprehend a little of this and a little of that. Most of theoretical physics... heck, most of applied physics... is either way over my head or beyond my interests altogether, and as many times as not, both.
I read physics books sometimes. Mostly to find errors.

Did I ever explain to you how general relativity does not support black holes?

Fennario

#772954 Aug 24, 2014
Susie D wrote:
Rev Jim Jones, he killed 909 women and children.. He stated, "Off the record, I don’t believe in any loving God. Our people, I would say, are ninety percent atheist." ~ Rev. Jones
Either Jim Jones actually said that, or somebody is trying to push that page of history off of the Christian plate and into the atheist lap.

Are we to believe that all of those people drank the Kool-Aid because of unbelief?

There is so much fraud coming out of Christian apologetics that one can be forgiven for rejecting all of it until any specific claim is proven.
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min New Age Spiritual... 678,600
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 30 min Aerobatty 118,567
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 33 min RiversideRedneck 2,134
News Bill to loosen financial rules would save $24 b... 37 min UidiotRaceUMAKEWO... 2
News Trump budget promises balance in decade, relies... 43 min UidiotRaceUMAKEWO... 4
News An ambitious ruler defeated by his own hubris: ... 44 min UidiotRaceUMAKEWO... 2
What Your Church Won't Tell You by Dave and Gar... (Apr '10) 57 min New Age Spiritual... 33,210
More from around the web