Prove there's a god.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#772972 Aug 24, 2014
curiouslu wrote:
<quoted text>
I've always been curious as to why christians don't rely solely on prayer, so I tried it for a time as an adult and figured it was because prayer doesn't work.
I knew that by the time I was six but decided to give it another go anyway. I did the same thing with eggplant and nope, still no god and still don't like eggplant. Kids are smart, that's why they need forceful indoctrination but that's a whole other subject.
Now I'm curious as to why christians refuse to admit that they don't rely solely on prayer (to their alleged god), because it doesn't work.
I think you have to know how to make prayer work for you:

"When I was a little boy, I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized, the Lord, in his wisdom, doesn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked Him to forgive me." - Emo Philips

Fennario

#772973 Aug 24, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
You did time at Marion Adjustment? So did I. I escaped. They didn't find me for 2 weeks.
Apparently, you can just walk out of there:

"A man who escaped from the Marion Adjustment Center in September is back in custody. More than a month after William Paul Monroe walked away, he was caught Thursday. The Lebanon Enterprise reports the 30-year-old walked away on September 30."
http://www.lex18.com/news/marion-adjustment-c...

"The Kentucky State Police are trying to locate a Middlesboro, Ky. man that walked away from the Marion Adjustment Center on Tuesday, May 29 at around 1:30 a.m."
http://www.whas11.com/news/Marion-Co-inmate-w...

Fennario

#772974 Aug 24, 2014
Susie D wrote:
I asked my mother over and over for something and she knew it was not good for me. Do you think she ignored me because I did not get what I want? Or did she simply say no because she knew what was best for me. Prayers are answered, but sometimes the answer is no.
I don't think your mother ignored you. I'll bet she not only gave you an answer, but a reason.

Prayers are ignored.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#772975 Aug 24, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
That took a while to understand.
<quoted text>
"Fraction" implies division. You cannot represent a finite part of an infinite set as a fraction of the whole.
<quoted text>
That is incorrect, Buck. The set of natural numbers is infinite. It is unbounded, that is, has no upper limit. Did you mistype? Did you mean infinite?
<quoted text>
I don't know where you get this stuff. The whole numbers are 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and so on without limit. The natural numbers are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and so on without limit. The two sets are each infinite, and are identical apart from the number zero, which is one element of the set of whole numbers. We could say that either set can be created from the other by the addition or subtraction of one element, which is adding or subtracting a finite set to or from an infinite set and generating another infinite set.
A part of an infinite is not finite. It is infinite - always.

When you refer to any portion of an alleged infinite path, you are referring to a fraction, or a division of that path, which is always infinite. It doesn't matter if you say you are subtracting it or adding it or doing nothing with it. It is still a part of the path.

I am not "taking it out" when I refer to the portion as infinite. I am referring to it.

So when we refer to a portion of the alleged path as traversing one revolution of the alleged donut, the one revolution is necessarily an infinite path. This requires an infinite donut.

Numbers are different in that they are acknowledged as abstractions. Conversely, you are alleging your path is physically real.

Besides, set theory institutes rules to avoid the contradiction of your alleged infinite path. Such accommodations are not allowed with physical phenomenon, like your alleged path.

Another way to prove it is imaginary.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#772976 Aug 24, 2014
<quoted text>Of course, if nano is invoking Poe's law, she is conceding that Joyful may actually be as dumb, gullible, foolish, and asinine as she appears to be. The brilliance of Poes' law is the slap it delivers. No amount of stupidity, however extreme it may be, however much it may suggest a parody, is not necessarily an act.
What a frightful concept, logic like that has no place here.

“I love Jesus”

Since: Dec 08

Heaven, but Earthbound for now

#772977 Aug 24, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I read physics books sometimes. Mostly to find errors.
Did I ever explain to you how general relativity does not support black holes?
Science never agrees anyway. They do not even agree with themselves.

Albert Einstein first predicated black holes.

Karl Schwarzschild defined a black hole

Simon Pierre LaPlace Relativity expert who and now Einstein opposed his own black hole theory.

John Wheeler uses term black hole

1970 Stephen Hawking’s Defined modern theory of black holes

2014 Stephen Hawking’s now says,“There are no black holes”

Location hidden

#772978 Aug 24, 2014
atheism is destructive wrote:
<quoted text>Prayer does work. Since you don't listen to God, He didn't listen to you.

As an adult I can see you are a bigot.
Beats being a spigot.

Correct, the only voices in my head are my own. I mean, the only voice in my head is my own. No, prayer does not work.

http://i.imgur.com/hF7yxf0.jpg

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#772979 Aug 24, 2014
<quoted text>
Of course, if nano is invoking Poe's law, she is conceding that Joyful may actually be as dumb, gullible, foolish, and asinine as she appears to be. The brilliance of Poes' law is the slap it delivers. No amount of stupidity, however extreme it may be, however much it may suggest a parody, is not necessarily an act.
Did you catch where Hukt agreed that a physical infinite is not possible, and the universe is not infinite?

Smart guy on physics. That's 3 of us now, including Dave Nelson.

The list grows slowly.

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#772980 Aug 24, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
No, the faithful are quite adept at that.
<quoted text>
Better? I think that I have a better worldview and a better set of ethical values than somebody informed by Christianity. A secular worldview is more accurate, and rational ethics are more conducive to a better life for all.
<quoted text>
You're referring to a lifetime worth of experience and the insights I've drawn from it. My Topix experience has shown me better than anything else I have ever done what the difference is between Christian style faith based thinking and reason based thinking.
<quoted text>
That is not what I am saying. What I am saying is that faith impedes learning to the extent that it affects thought. Those that can compartmentalize faith during their educations can do as well as those not burdened with it. Those who filter their teacher's and textbook's words through the lens of faith will reject or distort that which contradicts their faith based beliefs.
You seem to think one of faith is just looking for God and is therefor discreditable, when they should be looking at science as a tool to further their faith.
Science is a great tool.
One should see it as a way of furthering communication between the two. I don't think it's as much as them not believing in science as it is them having faith in God.
I am sure they're are some notable religious astronomers and physics right? That have it down to just as much science as not, wouldn't you?
And they are, they don't let faith blind them, that's why they be notable.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#772981 Aug 24, 2014
<quoted text>
"A man who escaped from the Marion Adjustment Center in September is back in custody. More than a month after William Paul Monroe walked away, he was caught Thursday. The Lebanon Enterprise reports the 30-year-old walked away on September 30."
"The Kentucky State Police are trying to locate a Middlesboro, Ky. man that walked away from the Marion Adjustment Center on Tuesday, May 29 at around 1:30 a.m."
I thought it would seem more dramatic to say "escaped" rather than "walked away".

More like a McGuyver thing.
atheism is destructive

Alabaster, AL

#772982 Aug 24, 2014
<quoted text>
I think you have to know how to make prayer work for you:
"When I was a little boy, I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized, the Lord, in his wisdom, doesn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked Him to forgive me." - Emo Philips
Again, evidence that atheists think in evil terms and act out crimes due to their selfishness and personal agendas.

Thanks for sharing one of your sources of ignorance with us. No wonder you atheists are confused and angry.

I see you still have to be in a support group to maintain your ignorant atheism. It proves atheism is a religion.
atheism is destructive

Alabaster, AL

#772983 Aug 24, 2014
curiouslu wrote:
<quoted text>
No, prayer does not work.
http://i.imgur.com/hF7yxf0.jpg
You are a liar. Prayer does work as I've seen it work. Refrain from being dishonest.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#772984 Aug 24, 2014
Susie D wrote:
<quoted text>Science never agrees anyway. They do not even agree with themselves.
Albert Einstein first predicated black holes.
Karl Schwarzschild defined a black hole
Simon Pierre LaPlace Relativity expert who and now Einstein opposed his own black hole theory.
John Wheeler uses term black hole
1970 Stephen Hawking’s Defined modern theory of black holes
2014 Stephen Hawking’s now says,“There are no black holes”
Not only do black holes not exist, they cannot exist.
atheism is destructive

Alabaster, AL

#772985 Aug 24, 2014
<quoted text>

Prayers are ignored.
Your religion of atheism forces you to make lies like this.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#772986 Aug 24, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You just argued that an actual infinity cannot exist, but does exist.
If a completed infinity cannot exist, a potential infinity cannot exist.
There is no potential for something that cannot exist.
You are infinitely lost.
Solid admantium head.
The question remains unresolved, whether something can be truly infinite.
So the argument is really that something infinite cannot be entirely measured.
You would never be able to show it was infinite, because all you can do is measure parts of it.
But you can (underscore can) measure parts of an infinite sum, you could never measure it's entirety.*(The correct symbol will not work in topix so 8 is the symbol.)

Since you could literally spend hundreds of generations to even hundreds of millions of generations of Bucks , counting an infinity.

The symbol 8 called "infinity", denotes an unsigned infinite limit. X -----> 8
means that the magnitude [X] of X grows beyond any assigned value.

This means we know it is ever increasing and is unbounded, effectively potentially infinite in extent.
So we wont have to count for hundreds of generations or endure millions of generations of Bucks.
All counting.... while denying infinity.

Location hidden

#772987 Aug 24, 2014
<quoted text>I think you have to know how to make prayer work for you:

"You are choking.
I have two choices...
1. I perform the heimlich manoeuvre?
Or,
2. I pray for you?
Which do you want me to do?
- Lawrence Krauss"

http://i.imgur.com/5YcwG5E.jpg

I'd pick the first option.

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#772988 Aug 24, 2014
<quoted text>
I was there when they both ran. I know the one from middlesboro on the streets. They caught him in middlesboro in the truck he stole, which was right next to the prison. He is at the pink palace now I think. Eastern Kentucky Correctional Complex.

Location hidden

#772989 Aug 24, 2014
<quoted text>You are a liar. Prayer does work as I've seen it work. Refrain from being dishonest.
http://youtu.be/-uUNgG_qAE0

Dishonesty is when people say stuff what's not true. Dishonesty is not when people say stuff what you don't like.

Prayer does not work. You have not seen it work.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Manhattan Beach, CA

#772990 Aug 24, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
"Atheist".
You are skirting the issue by phrasing your position as "not positively asserting that no god exists".
This avoids the crux of the matter, which is belief.
Anyone who "believes" that no god exists, if judicious, will not assert positively that no god exists, because this implies certainty of knowledge. Belief is not certain knowledge.
My assessment is that you believe, or are convinced, that no god exists. But you refrain from exaggerating this to imply that you possess certainty of knowledge that it is, in fact, the case that no god exists.
It is a testament to intellectual honesty that you refrain from the certainty of knowledge claim. But I think the categorization of this view to something other than atheism is,...dare I say,...pedantic.
You are a plain ole' atheist, I-man. At least this is my belief.
Hey Susie, this is what drove me crazy.

The torture of having something repeated endlessly.

And Buck, does endlessly = infinitely?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#772991 Aug 24, 2014
<quoted text>
You are a liar. Prayer does work as I've seen it work. Refrain from being dishonest.
When it works, god answered your prayers. When it doesn't work, god didn't answer your prayers because...um...he has his reasons. Yeah....that's it.

Such a con job religious people fall for.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min Robert F 692,121
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 6 min June VanDerMark 47,125
Why are Europeans a race of savages, thieves, a... (Jun '15) 52 min youareadufus 465
TWA Flight 800 (Jul '13) 1 hr Doctor REALITY 7
beware of raymond rotolo / ps inspections llc 1 hr what I think happ... 2
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 14 hr DJ Crazee 39,286
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 21 hr waaasssuuup 445,850
More from around the web