Prove there's a god.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Lima, Peru

#768219 Aug 13, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
Do they have gyms in Peru? I know your addiction to them, just wondering....
Of course.

And don't get started with your homophobic comments.

Remember, Redneck, it's the new and improved Redneck.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Lima, Peru

#768220 Aug 13, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
And you tried to claim you support the Constitution.
No.

I don't just support the Constitution.

I defend the Constitution.

From all enemies, foreign and domestic.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#768221 Aug 13, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:

So now you are asking a red herring question. That was not what the original post was about. It was about there being a planet (earth) with an ocean (the deep) without the sun, when we know the sun had to be burning before the planet was formed. And the planet was formed without an ocean for a very, very long time.
The planet was not a formless thing with oceans in the darkness. That is an impossibility.
And I did ask the Hebrews. Where do you think I got that answer I posted. Look at the link. I didn't ask just anybody. Or go to Wikipedia. I got a Hebrew answer.
I was going off of your initial, incorrect claim:

"So we have an earth that has no form, but it already has an ocean, and everything is dark."

That isn't Biblical.

Genesis is very clear that "earth was formless and empty". A "formless and empty" planet cannot have an ocean, as you claimed.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#768222 Aug 13, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
You align yourself with YECers?
Haha
No alignment.

I'm just pointing out that view in Christianity, which was the majority or predominant view - before - scientific discovery necessitated many within Christianity to reevaluate just how reliable their book of myth was.

Hebrew and Christian scholars still maintain that view is what was represented in Genesis, although the Hebrew or Judaic scholars by and large see the book for the myth it represents but value it for its origins or cultural significance to the Judaic/Jewish people.

Christians that vary from the view contained in Genesis as representing a literal day creation event, however, have decided that science makes more sense - far more sense - than the creation myth contained there, and although they still try to believe, really find it difficult to do so, hence the departure from many of the common and classic views held by Christianity for close to 1800 years.

Yourself included.

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#768223 Aug 13, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
"So we have an earth that has no form, but it already has an ocean, and everything is dark."
That isn't Biblical.
Genesis is very clear that "earth was formless and empty". A "formless and empty" planet cannot have an ocean, as you claimed.
"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

The bible says there was an ocean. In darkness. Without a sun. Stop changing the subject.

Word salad again. Going back to your old ways where people tell you to STFU, cause you keep changing what you are arguing about?

Location hidden

#768224 Aug 13, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I'm not a liberal Christian.
http://www.gotquestions.org/liberal-Christian...
Read about what it is.
You certainly don't fall within these categories or views either.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_Chr...

Do me a favor, supply a link to just exactly what a conservative or even a moderate Christian theology is.

Can you do that?

I don't want to misapply the status you maintain for yourself.

Location hidden

#768225 Aug 13, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.bibleandscience.com/bible/books/ge...
Hebrew Text
<wht - The Deep
The Deep is a watery abyss. There is no monster (Tiamat). There is no battle (theomacy). It is demythologized.
At the beginning there was the preexistence of a watery abyss, a primordial ocean where the bitter and sweet waters mingled together. The bitter water was the salt water of the ocean while the sweet water was rain, springs, and river waters. These waters were separated on day two to form a heavenly ocean and earthly ocean which is part of the subterranean ocean. In Ugaritic El’s abode is at the source of the two rivers, or oceans which might be the source of the bitter and sweet waters (Herdner 1963, 4:iv, 21-24) or more likely the heavenly ocean and the subterranean ocean that meet at the horizon. In the Bible "living water" would be "sweet or fresh non-salty water," while dead or bitter waters, like the Dead Sea is salty water. Many times the sea is used in parallel with the deep in poetic passages. The ancients may see the sea and deep as part of the same ocean which extended under the earth. This seems clear from the cycle in Ecclesiastes 1:7. The rocks of the earth sweeten the ocean water and the clouds filter the salt water.
In the OT <wht is the subterranean ocean where springs well up, rivers flow, and floods burst forth. They did not view rivers as water from melted snow, nor floods from torrential rains, but from the deep subterranean ocean. This is clearly seen in Noah’s Flood where the fountains of the deep burst forth. In the vassal-treaties of Esarhaddon it says, "may a flood, an irresistible deluge, rise from the bowels of the earth and devastate you" (ANET, 472).
Sorry boys, but the Hebrews say I am right. It is the ocean.
Yeah. I looked up the word meanings in the sources I have and, yeah.
C-City Clown

United States

#768226 Aug 13, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
Because you've got it all wrong. I'll make some billet points.
1. Compare homosexual sex with premarital sex, not "homosexual acts with sex outside of marriage".
2. You are making an unnecessary comparison between gay people and unmarried couples, why? The better comparison is gay people and straight people.
3. You claim that Christianity condemns homosexual, unmarried sex but not hetero? Why?
4. Christianity doesn't accept homosexual sex no more than unmarried heterosexual sex, regardless of what some wacky preachers may say. 1 Cor 6:9 - "Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men"
That's why it isn't bigotry, because everyone's included.
Christianity condemns homosexual sex under any circumstances.

Since premarital sex is immoral across the board (according to the big book of toilet paper), it is irrelevant to the issue.

Why are those things necessarily immoral? That's where you have no good answer. That's where you fail.

Location hidden

#768227 Aug 13, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Reproduce it and find out.
You're not doing so well thus far.
Please don't do something else and claim you reproduced it, like Cantor did with artificial "life".
I've no need to produce anything, although I'm fine with the advancements being made in regard to the subjects surrounding abiogenesis. The scientists working in that area are making steady advancements and I'm in no hurry.

Which, by the way, abiogenesis had or has nothing to do with why I'm an atheist.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

#768228 Aug 13, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
it dawned on me that i can't remember you ever really being insulting or antagonistic in your approach here and therefore i deeply apologize if i have been to you!
Keep reading, then get back to me.
C-City Clown

United States

#768229 Aug 13, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
That isn't Biblical.
Something formless and empty can't be a planet in the first place.

Are you one of those people (those people!) that thinks Genesis describes anything that actually happened?

I'll hold my sides in preparation.
C-City Clown

United States

#768230 Aug 13, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
sorry, that should have said "without Jesus being brought up"
That's what Joseph said.

"For once I'd like to have a conversation with someone, without Jesus being brought up."

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#768231 Aug 13, 2014
scaritual wrote:

No alignment.
I'm just pointing out that view in Christianity, which was the majority or predominant view - before - scientific discovery necessitated many within Christianity to reevaluate just how reliable their book of myth was.{SNIP}
Dude, learn some history. The Young Earth idea is relatively new, starting in the 16th century with Ussher's miscalculations.

Scholars as far back as 13BC believed that the six-day Creation was figurative.

As car as "YEC"ers, that didn't really take off until the 1960s.

Look into it, before Ussher, the view in Christianity wasn't a young earth and Genesis didn't depict 144 hours of Creation.
C-City Clown

United States

#768232 Aug 13, 2014
Joseph: "Was he bigger than me?"
C-City Clown

United States

#768233 Aug 13, 2014
Mary: "I didn't feel a thing."

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#768234 Aug 13, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
The bible says there was an ocean. In darkness. Without a sun. Stop changing the subject.
Word salad again. Going back to your old ways where people tell you to STFU, cause you keep changing what you are arguing about?
Hmmm.

Does "deep" = "ocean"?

Or does "waters" = "ocean"?

To you, I mean.

Don't get frustrated, stay on topic.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#768235 Aug 13, 2014
scaritual wrote:

You certainly don't fall within these categories or views either.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_Chr...
Do me a favor, supply a link to just exactly what a conservative or even a moderate Christian theology is.
Can you do that?
I don't want to misapply the status you maintain for yourself.
You supplied a link to conservative Christians then ask me to supply a link to conservative Christians? o.O

You can misapply all you want, scarscar. You're good at that.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#768236 Aug 13, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
DNA wiped that out with Jesus even being brought up.
DNA wipes out divinity?

You have Jesus' DNA, then?

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

#768237 Aug 13, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
But that's not what IANS said. He said "faith base thinkers have nothing of value to say to evidence and reason based thinkers".
You get that? "faith base thinkers have nothing of value to say".
He didn't include your criteria, which is equally irrationally biased.
IANS didn't need to include my criteria. What he said stands.

When thinking is based on reason and evidence, it's reason and evidence based. When thinking is based on faith, it's faith based.

Do you get that?

The contributions from those individuals you listed, the ones we value today, resulted from their employment of reason and evidence based thinking. Not until they reached the extents of their abilities to make sense of the world around them did they resort to faith... and once they did so, nothing of value was added.

How is my "criteria" irrationally based?

Prove there's a god.
C-City Clown

United States

#768238 Aug 13, 2014
Mary: "Oh God, yes, yes! OH GOD!"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 3 min Bobby Bobson 30,697
Popcorn time for movies and shows using VPN 1 hr clayvligon 2
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 hr guest 687,171
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 4 hr LAWEST100 184,840
Anthony Bragg 6 hr Oic yes 28
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 7 hr Anonymous 286,539
Clinton Foundation Scandals 9 hr Hiddn Numbrz 2
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 21 hr Here For Now 619,788
More from around the web