Prove there's a god.

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#767838 Aug 12, 2014
curiouslu wrote:
"Julion Evans Has Funeral Canceled After New Hope Missionary Baptist Church Learned He Was Gay
Kendall Capers found no hope at New Hope Missionary Baptist Church after the death of his husband, Julion Evans, who died at age 42 from amyloidosis. Evans' family are members of the New Hope congregation in Tampa, Florida, and Capers arranged to have the service there.
However, the funeral was abruptly canceled the night before it was scheduled to happen. The family was informed with a phone call from New Hope that said that it would be "blasphemous" to hold the service at the church, reported KCCI..."
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5662133...
Wow, so homosexuals can't even get a funeral?
Praise the jesus! character.
Terrible!

And I would have thought that those self-righteous Pharisees would be glad that there was one less of them.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#767839 Aug 12, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Hi, Christine!
I was saving for the move until the car blew up...
Back to Square One.
Hi Mac. Good to see you.

Lu lives further away from me than you do, Aus I think - LOL

I don’t think I know anyone so eager to kill their car.... How long do you expect it to last? What is it, those yank cars may be a but wallowy and cumbersome and a real bugger in the bendy bits but they go on past the cows coming home.

#767840 Aug 12, 2014
curiouslu wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I agree, the human body is beautiful.
I've seen a few Doctors with tatts but yeah, not goth gang ones (that neck one you mentioned sounds like it) or prison ones. Doctors usually don't go to prison, they help people.
How ironic that the same person flea eggs abuses, would be the first to help him if someone stabbed him in the face.
My irony meter is away being fixed at the moment but yes, flea eggs does have a particularly wide blind spot.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#767841 Aug 12, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Creation of time requires absence of time. "Time" is the same entity in both clauses.
Nope.

You need to distinguish between the time in the object of creation, and the time in the platform from which it was created, which is can be referred to as meta-time. If the universe budded from a multiverse, it is the time in that reference frame. The first moment of time in out universe was just another moment of time from that reference frame. If the universe bangs and crunches repeatedly say every 100 billion years, and has done so 4 times already, when the fifth cycle begins (T=0 in that reference frame), 400 billion years have passed in the meta-reference frame.
Buck Crick wrote:
You are proposing awareness of time in absence of time, which is logically incoherent.
No, you are. Consciousness is the awareness of a succession of instants.
Buck Crick wrote:
Consciousness you speak of is a subjective experience in time, having no bearing on what can or cannot exist absent time.

What difference does it make if you call consciousness subjective experience? You are merely saying that your conscious agents have subjective experience. That doesn't excuse a god from existing in its own time frame if it is conscious.

You cannot separate consciousness from time without self-contradiction. You cannot be compelled to acknowledge this, but you also cannot argue the inseparability of the two away with linguistic sleights of hand.

Look at how differently you and I think. You seem to me to be willing to let your mind go wherever it wants. It wants homophobia to not exist, so it simply declares it so, and that becomes your reality. And now you need for a conscious god to exist outside not just our time, but any and all time, and it becomes so. That's faith, and you argue the ideas that you desire to be true doggedly.

But my thinking is different. I don't let it go to wherever it would like. I am strictly evidence and reason based. The evidence for homophobia, which you deny, is undeniable to me. And the logical necessity that consciousness implies time, which you also deny, is undeniable to me. I'm just not free to go where you are.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#767842 Aug 12, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists seem to push an anti-Christian agenda everywhere they go, especially the New Atheists today. But atheism itself has no doctrine, yes I would agree.
And I'm not going to sit here and sugarcoat Christians and play a little game like there are no Christians that are homophobic, that would be an outright lie.
Christians like the ones who attend the WBC disgust me and make a bad name for Christianity and Christians everywhere. The atheists tend to cling on to them. The claim that Christianity teaches homophobia is absurd. There are some Christians that teacher that, but it's a minority.
And they are wrong. The Bible does not condemn homosexuals.
So what would your take be on the story of Sodom and Gomorrah?

Personally, I know no gay men who have ever committed attempted rape on angels. Oh, and Angelo was a consenting adult.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#767843 Aug 12, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, homophobia is a "bad deal." It's bigotry against and the persecution of gay people. It is real phenomenon and a tremendous injustice. That's obvious. It's common knowledge that life is more difficult in America if you live it as a gay person, and the cause of that is called homophobia. No words can invalidate the evidence of a lifetime. Your refusal to admit that the phenomenon exists is part of it. You just don't care enough.

You seem to contradict yourself, first saying that "homo" is the prefix for man, then for same or self. It's the prefix for same, as it is in homosexual. It's opposite is hetero, which means other. The prefix for self is "auto"
http://i.imgur.com/AayHiqd.jpg

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#767844 Aug 12, 2014
ROCCO wrote:
<quoted text>
At least you're paying attention.
Now tell me the difference between G and FSM, and see if you can do it with two parrots sitting on your hand and keyboard.
Go.
Actually, don't. I don't wish to join the list of people with whom you waste time, and whose time you waste.
Something tells me that the parrots would have a lot more intelligent stuff to say.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#767845 Aug 12, 2014
NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
In my life some of my closest friends are atheists. The reason for this is that we respect and care for one another. The problem (as I see it) with a place like this is that one cannot see the actions of others.
Agreed, many Christians use faith as a tool.
Just as some Christians cling to the words of outlandish atheists, some atheists cling to the words of outlandish Christians...I think that has to do with human nature when trying to prove a point.
In the Bible belt....It is not so absurd. I agree that it is wrong.
You're obvious a tolerant person, NS. Thanks for showing me that not all Christians are a bunch of hateful, self-righteous funny-mentalists.

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#767846 Aug 12, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Enough to kill will never be enough, you are happy in your own sweet haze of drug smoke and have no frigging idea about the real world outside your mind.
She has a fine mind and wonderful sense of humour for sure.
Who cares?
Again who but you cares for your opinion of me? That opinion is based on you being a complete lying a$$hole and not having the guts to accept the comeback
I am as light as I need to be, sensible up a little will ya?
Yeah, Yeah!
I never said I was happy.
Yeah, I always liked docs humor..
I accept the comeback christine, in fact I look forward to it.
Yeah, I'll sensible up a little as soon as you lighten up and take your boot off my throat..
Oh, good morning to ya :) Sugar?

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#767847 Aug 12, 2014
curiouslu wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you never wrote that you've never had sex out of wedlock?
Shame! Shame!

Let's get that scarlet letter "A" ready.
:-)

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#767848 Aug 12, 2014
ROCCO wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, Al.
That tragedy happened some time ago, but the memory always lives.
That said, however, I do not blame God, I consider it a random act, an accident. I don't think God had anything to do with it, because as time has gone on, I've come to believe there is no such thing. While I understand that some of you believe otherwise, nothing has even been presented to me - and I sincerely doubt it ever will - that convinces me that there is a God (and, of course, I speak of God as in the holy bible/all versions and torah).
There could be no justification for that God's acts, and lack of acts, if there were such a thing.
All we have is our own conscience and our own individual manner of finding inner peace.
But thanks. I have respect for your personal views.
I'm sorry about your family, Rocco.

Location hidden

#767849 Aug 12, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, honey you are a creep and you are trying to creep into nanos pants.
You don’t bug me, but you do make me despair for the state of humanity in your neck of the woods. To be honest and despite my better judgement I feel sorry for you as I would feel sorry for a beaten animal.
Yes you are a liar, thank you for admitting it, that is perhaps the first decent and manly thing you have done on topix. Oh wait moment, you just fooked it by lying about it
Honey you have accused me of several things over the past months, obnoxious, spiteful, designed to be hurtful things without evidence, without cause, just accusation made up in your perverted mind or by you hopping on the bandwagon of other spiteful morons (not a follower – LOL). Whether it’s in fun or not makes no difference but given your limited intelligence you may not be aware that such is LYING.
Trying to get in her pants? No, but I love the way she serves you crow. How does it taste?
Hahaha! I love your way with words.
Uh no, I have told you that I do not lie, stop LYING!
I've been bytch'n at you since I met you on here, so no, I haven't jumped on any bandwagon. you keep kicking me off yours.

#767850 Aug 12, 2014
dirty white boy- wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah, Yeah!
I never said I was happy.
Yeah, I always liked docs humor..
I accept the comeback christine, in fact I look forward to it.
Yeah, I'll sensible up a little as soon as you lighten up and take your boot off my throat..
Oh, good morning to ya :) Sugar?
You seem to be happy enough to shun reality and live your life in a cloud of THC infuses smoke
http://www.chinatopix.com/articles/6236/20140...
Probably too late for you

You dispense with the comeback by misrepresenting it , you think I am being as humorous as you try to be... not so.

Oh my dreariest dwb, you are under the impression that someone has their boot across your throat, your wishful thinking is destroying your self confidence. And I doubt you could be sensible if you tried.

Consider that you earn what you get.

Location hidden

#767851 Aug 12, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Ferrari? LOL, wimp
Nope! station wagon, yellow, no hubcaps, cracked windshield and out of gas..........

#767852 Aug 12, 2014
dirty white boy- wrote:
<quoted text> Trying to get in her pants? No, but I love the way she serves you crow. How does it taste?
Hahaha! I love your way with words.
Uh no, I have told you that I do not lie, stop LYING!
I've been bytch'n at you since I met you on here, so no, I haven't jumped on any bandwagon. you keep kicking me off yours.
NoNo has not got the intelligence to serve me anything. All she can do is hate and occasionally come back for more; it’s what her daddy trained her for

Then if you claim you don’t lie why do you lie about me? Because you are having fun? Because you are enjoying it? It really makes no difference it is still lying, wear it like a man instead of the temperamental and spoilt child you pretend to be.

So you are saying that when we first started chatting (about Egyptian custom and gods I believe) you did not say (under one of your old socks) that you were open minded? That you would consider any discussion? Then put up your wall of incredulity when you got out of you depth and your lies were slapping you in the face with every post?

So you are saying you have not jumped on the RR and the Buck and the nono bandwagon in there great godbot game of lies and abuse to the atheist?

Say what? you haven’t jumped on any bandwagon but you keep getting kicked off? Wow, you logic actually defies logic, are you stoned again?

#767853 Aug 12, 2014
dirty white boy- wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope! station wagon, yellow, no hubcaps, cracked windshield and out of gas..........
That explains much.
Your metaphor has a no hubcaps, a dangerous crack and no juice... well done.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#767854 Aug 12, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
There is no evidence of a multiverse. It's an imaginative way to get around a problem.
There argument for a multiverse is this:

The universe exists, and it appears to be fine tuned to support life and consciousness. Only four hypotheses that I can come up with can account for that:

[1] Our universe was intelligently designed.
[2] One universe formed from nothing, or has always existed (the eternally banging-crunching universe) and just happens to support life and consciousness.
[3] Multiple universes of varying types formed spontaneously from nothing, and those capable of supporting consciousness do. This is one of them.
[4] An unconscious source from which universes arise exists. We can call this the multiverse.

The first two are the least likely.

A conscious, omnipotent, omniscient god is the least likely thing to exist uncreated and undesigned. Lesser gods are more likely, but still much less likely than an unconscious entity (a multiverse).

And a very lucky single roll of the is also very unlikely, like a god. The evidence for the bang-crunch hypothesis, incidentally, took a big hit with the discovery of the accelerating expansion of the universe. It may never crunch.

Neither of these hypotheses can be ruled out on the basis of being extremely unlikely, but they both fall to the bottom of the list because of it.

The best explanation is that there are uncountable numbers of universes, which is likely if they arise by an unconscious process. Whatever process accounts for the one would be expected to yield many (That is true for gods as well. Whatever could yield one should yield many - the reason there are so many of everything from atoms to people to galaxies).

If infinite universes can arise without a source, then we don't need the multiverse, and we get option [3]. I can't rank either [3] or [4] as the more likely of the two. Nor can I rank [1] as more or less likely than [2]. But I can put both [3] and [4] far ahead of both [1] and [2].

[3] and [4] are most likely, and [1] and [2] are least likely. That is the
Buck Crick wrote:
Another way is Krause and Hawking saying the universe created itself from nothing. I think Hawking may have back pedaled on that one, perhaps realizing it's incoherent.
Incoherent? Hardly. It may in fact be impossible, but the idea is very clear, and cannot be declared impossible at this time. That makes the idea coherent.

No special pleading please. Spontaneously arising universes are more likely than spontaneously arising gods. An infinitely existing multiverse is more likely than an infinitely existing god. Simply calling the hypotheses that contradict your faith based preferences incoherent won't do.

Once again, I want to point out the differences in our ways of thinking, and the differences in the kinds of ideas our two minds generate. My ideas don't require tortured sophistic defenses or special pleading. I say that that is an indication that they are more in tune with the reality, which is exactly what you would expect the difference to be between thought slavishly devoted to evidence and reason, which ideas are likely to map reality more accurately, and the thoughts of a mind that permits itself to wander where it desires, and is then forced to rationalize its choices. One set of arguments ring true, the other the opposite.

And yes, I realize that you see it in reverse. I understand. Faith does that, too. And because of that, I expect this argument to be rejected out of hand by you. But I am writing to a larger audience, much of which shares my intellectual values - reason and evidence over faith and rationalization - and I wanted to make the point about the differences between faith based thought and thought absent faith explicitly.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#767855 Aug 12, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>Shame! Shame!

Let's get that scarlet letter "A" ready.
:-)
I reckon aye, she's so dirty. Boo! Hiss!

http://i.imgur.com/YdcMVEq.jpg

Location hidden

#767856 Aug 12, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
NoNo has not got the intelligence to serve me anything. All she can do is hate and occasionally come back for more; it’s what her daddy trained her for
Then if you claim you don’t lie why do you lie about me? Because you are having fun? Because you are enjoying it? It really makes no difference it is still lying, wear it like a man instead of the temperamental and spoilt child you pretend to be.
So you are saying that when we first started chatting (about Egyptian custom and gods I believe) you did not say (under one of your old socks) that you were open minded? That you would consider any discussion? Then put up your wall of incredulity when you got out of you depth and your lies were slapping you in the face with every post?
So you are saying you have not jumped on the RR and the Buck and the nono bandwagon in there great godbot game of lies and abuse to the atheist?
Say what? you haven’t jumped on any bandwagon but you keep getting kicked off? Wow, you logic actually defies logic, are you stoned again?
Wow, christine how can you keep saying that about her? To use something personal like that In attacking her says a lot about you. gosh, I am not even gonna answer the rest of your BS!

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#767857 Aug 12, 2014
curiouslu wrote:
That's sad. RIP Robin.

I will still enjoy the old movies, but he will be sadly missed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 10 min truth 667,636
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 20 min Rosa_Winkel 92,414
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Qu_innocence 619,214
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr bad bob 183,614
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr Rosa_Winkel 445,564
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr MUQ2 285,972
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 3 hr Joe Fortuna 2,024
More from around the web