Prove there's a god.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#765806 Aug 7, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct. In fact, irreducible complexity probably exists - in watches and jet airplanes, for example. The question is whether it exists in natural system not constructed by purposive, non-divine intelligence and intention.
The problem the ID people have is two-fold.
First, claims of IC are falsifiable, but not provable. We don't have an algorithm or test for IC, meaning that even if we encounter it, we can't know that we simply haven't discovered the natural path leading to the observed complex system. But we can debunk a false claim if we do. How will that ever lead to a compelling argument for a god?
Second, they keep offering examples of possible irreducibly complex, which are later shown not to be. This underscores their lack of imagination and their hastiness in making such claims, both of which undermine their credibility.
Incidentally, people like lightbeamrider and whatever Riverside Redneck is calling himself these days (Stillborn Fifi?) seem to have a wrong concept of the IC. They're looking at the parts of a complex eye and calling the eye irreducibly complex when they need to be looking at the evolutionary chain from photosensitive dermatological cells to such complex eyes. The human eye is indeed irreducibly complex in terms of disassembling it, but not in terms of its evolution
There is an algorithmic test for IC proposed. Actually, more than one.

If you are privy to a plausible Darwinian pathway for the assembly of a human eye by natural selection, I would like to see it. It needs to include the interdependent optic nerve and associated structure.

The rebuttal to examples of irreducible complexity I have seen are lame. Perhaps you have other proof.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#765807 Aug 7, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text> haha, yeah, Christine would love to play this game with you...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =En6t5k5_FM4XX
I don't get why so many people found this movie too horrible to watch. I thought it was hilarious.
Oh honey, I have my own mind, I don’t need your sick excuse to think for me

I have problems with youtube at the moment, was it a rape or a dom movie?

Location hidden

#765808 Aug 7, 2014
<quoted text>
I see where you are coming from.
I read Hiding's comment, but don't remember it verbatim. I remember agreeing with it in the sense that I didn't consider Hawking's claim to be established science, and I assumed that oos what she meant as well. If so, her language may have been a little careless, but that is understandable in a venue like this in which posts are often constructed hastily. I would be very surprised if Hiding didn't have a expert understanding of what science is.
Do you consider what is happening in black hole cosmology an indication of a flaw or weakness in the scientific method, or a reason to consider science and scientists undependable? I consider it evidence of one of science's great strengths - it's self-correcting nature. Evidence-based knowledge is always tentative - as good as the quantity and quality of evidence available at the time, and subject to revision when new evidence suggests such a need. It indicates the willingness of scientists to modify their theories in accordance with new, conflicting evidence, which is what distinguishes science from dogma.
I don't think hastiness is the explanation, since she reinforced her point with a series of 4 or 5 more posts stating the same thing. Of course, she probably knew she was wrong, but my experience with her is that being wrong on a point just makes her more dedicated to it.

On cosmology and the black hole, I think it is amusing and entertaining, and reinforces what I have long said about the arrogance of scientists.

On scant evidence, make bold and sweeping pronouncements of discovery, have it repeated in literature, talk about it on TV, and it becomes common knowledge.

And it turns out to be pure bull shit. But now we are stuck with people finding black holes every where they look, tripping over them in the dark, seeing them in their stool.

And when a guy like Stephen Crothers offered mathematical proof that they could not exist, he is called a quack and a moron.

He must be a Christian or a smoker, is all I can figure.

I can't help but laugh.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#765809 Aug 7, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
The atheists swear up and down that a creature without wings can grow wings over millions of years and generations. It makes no logical sense.
What we say is that we are aware of no reason why that couldn't happen, and absent a god, it must have.

You are the one asserting that the evolution of wings is impossible apparently based on the argument that you can't see how. I believe that your faith based confirmation bias limits what you see.

Location hidden

#765810 Aug 7, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
At the invitation of the editors who have not stopped laughing since?
Do you really suppose an honourable journal is going to get all hot and bothered over the discredited work of a PhD failure?
I just looked up a wiki on Progress in physics
“Progress in Physics is an American *alternative* science journal”
“The journal *describes* itself as peer-reviewed”
“The referees of the papers published are *not listed*, although anonymity of referees is specifically criticized in "Article 8: Freedom to publish scientific results" of the Declaration of Academic Freedom.*This document harshly criticizes the current peer-review system using the words "censorship", "alleged expert referees", "blacklisting", and "bribes".*
Yeah go buck, you got a “proper” scientific journal there... LOL... you really are so sad.
It's a scientific journal of math and physics.

Sorry you don't like it.

You were looking for Crothers on Facebook. So I'm sure a physics journal would not be your cup of tea.

There is no "like" to click on.

By the way, are you aware that wiki is notoriously unreliable on science matters?

Wiki and Facebook - Christine's research library.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#765811 Aug 7, 2014
curiouslu wrote:
<quoted text>
I got a kid that says that.
Hehehe.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

#765812 Aug 7, 2014
I am right wrote:
<quoted text>
God does exist as evidenced by every created and detailed thing around you. You are just too STUPID to understand that.
Atheists are such STUPID people.
Plus, why do you want proof of God when you claim you know for a fact He doesn't exist?
See how STUPID you come across? That's because you are STUPID.
I'm pretty sure you know you are lying to yourself, you STUPID atheist.
The things around me are proof of the things around me. They are not proof of your god.

I've never claimed that your god (or any other's god) doesn't exist... let alone that I 'know for a fact' that it doesn't exist.

Proof is your burden, not mine.

Prove there's a god.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#765813 Aug 7, 2014
curiouslu wrote:
<quoted text>
Flyin'?
That'd be the best reason... one would think.

Fennario

#765814 Aug 7, 2014
I guess it's time to trot out a few of the questions I posed to assorted Christians that they have refused to answer. I don't expect Joyful to answer the question of the moral status of murdering a sadistic god.

Here's one ignored by lightbeamrider:

lightbeamrider wrote: So are we to believe Hiding over Jesus Christ? IANS over Jesus Christ?

IANS wrote: I committed my opinions to "paper". Your god, not so much. Also, I might have recorded a few good, original ideas. Has Jesus? If you think so, name one. If you do, I'll try to match it. I'll bet you don't have even one good, original idea from Jesus to offer us now.

Has anybody seen Ghost Writer, Kentucky, or Lab28? I have a few that they ignored. I'm perfectly fine, by the way with such non-answers. All I need to do is re-post the question and point out that it was not answered. That is just as effective.

Here's another:

Ghost Writer 2 U wrote: Are we willing to admit the problem can be with our perception? The honest Christian MUST admit this is possible and even probable to an extent. To maintain his or her atheism, the atheist CANNOT afford to admit the problem might be with their perception. Once admitted, atheism then becomes untenable.

IANS wrote: The perceptual problem is with the theist. Either you're seeing something that isn't there, like people looking at a mirage, or were not seeing something that is there, like the color-blind. I know a method that distinguishes between the two. Do you? If not, would you like to?

< barely audible sound of a distant rooster crowing dawn >

And another:

KENTUCKY wrote: "This sounds like a blatant attempt at trying to assassinate my character. You failed whether you know it or not."

IANS wrote: "Really? Sorry you think so. I thought that it was sympathetic. What part of your character was addressed here, and how was it impugned

< sound of a distant, car alarm at 3 AM >

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#765815 Aug 7, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah... whatever... have you considered uping your anti psychotics?
I am not on any Psychotropics.
I think you're rather funny and I do like reading your post.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#765816 Aug 7, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Oh wow, what awesome wit....
yawn...
Most here would rather hear my 'wit' that to hear you talk about your circumcision again.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#765817 Aug 7, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are free to say that. It's a lie, but you are free to say it.
So now I'm a liar?

What's my lie?

Fennario

#765818 Aug 7, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
So this restaurant was giving a 15% discount to folks that said Grace before their meal.
http://www.wfmynews2.com/story/news/local/201...
Freaktard atheists had a conniption fit. Christian persecution at its finest.
How is that persecuting Christians? As the Christians themselves noted, "We are no longer issuing the 15% praying in public discount. It is illegal" as would be a 15% surcharge added onto the checks of people caught praying before their meals.

No special rights for Christians.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#765819 Aug 7, 2014
dirty white boy- wrote:
<quoted text> I am not on any Psychotropics.
I think you're rather funny and I do like reading your post.
Hmm, Psychotropics....That must be somewhere near Vero beach.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#765820 Aug 7, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a scientific journal of math and physics.
Sorry you don't like it.
You were looking for Crothers on Facebook. So I'm sure a physics journal would not be your cup of tea.
There is no "like" to click on.
By the way, are you aware that wiki is notoriously unreliable on science matters?
Wiki and Facebook - Christine's research library.

You are sure are strange, investing everything in a astrophysicist you call a moron and idiot.
Who wrote a sciency story about black holes you don't understand.
Is your donut halo slipping? I think it's covering your eyes. hahahaha

Since: Aug 14

Sevierville, TN

#765821 Aug 7, 2014
The question is,'Prove there's a god."

Satan is the god of this world. Just turn on the news and see murder, theft, rape... To believe in the God of Love and Mercy can only come by faith and that faith has to be given to you by God. No one can say Jesus is Lord, the Son of God our Father in heaven, without the Holy Spirit.

I was addicted to a quart of whiskey a day. I lost three jobs by calling in sick and buying a bottle in the morning. Then, another when that was gone afternoon. Two quarts a day for a week. I got fired, cleaned up and got another job. This happened three times. I was being evicted and made an enemy who wanted to kill me. I prayed to God in the name of Jesus the Christ. And in that One Day I was set free from my alcohol addiction. It's all uphill from now out of my pit. Faith comes from hearing,(testimonies) and the word of God. The God of Israel.

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#765822 Aug 7, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm, Psychotropics....That must be somewhere near Vero beach.
Fort Walton Beach

Location hidden

#765823 Aug 7, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
At the invitation of the editors who have not stopped laughing since?
Do you really suppose an honourable journal is going to get all hot and bothered over the discredited work of a PhD failure?
I just looked up a wiki on Progress in physics
“Progress in Physics is an American *alternative* science journal”
“The journal *describes* itself as peer-reviewed”
“The referees of the papers published are *not listed*, although anonymity of referees is specifically criticized in "Article 8: Freedom to publish scientific results" of the Declaration of Academic Freedom.*This document harshly criticizes the current peer-review system using the words "censorship", "alleged expert referees", "blacklisting", and "bribes".*
Yeah go buck, you got a “proper” scientific journal there... LOL... you really are so sad.
Assailing him personally is your substitute for actual criticism. You know nothing else to assail him with, and you are not smart enough to recognize a legitimate case against him if you saw it.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#765824 Aug 7, 2014
<quoted text>
How is that persecuting Christians? As the Christians themselves noted, "We are no longer issuing the 15% praying in public discount. It is illegal" as would be a 15% surcharge added onto the checks of people caught praying before their meals.
No special rights for Christians.
The owner didn't provide the discount to any and all that prayed in her diner. She let the waitstaff decide when a discount was 'deserved' on an individual basis. One of her patrons (a Christian) posted a picture of a receipt, with discount, on Facebook... eventually leading to full-blown public disclosure. Even if the prospect of legal action hadn't been brought to her attention, how long would it have been before the owner stopped providing the discount altogether anyway?

A 15% percent discretionary discount every once in a while isn't that big of a deal... the owner could afford it... and was happy to provide it.

15% discounts for all...

<Shhhhh. Don't tell everyone.>

Whoops!

Dratted Facebook!

Location hidden

#765825 Aug 7, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So now I'm a liar?
What's my lie?
Your lie is that there is zero evidence for a god.

Even after you conceded there is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min Slaughterhouse 100,144
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr Peter Ross 445,651
Any hot teen girl wanna email me (Mar '12) 2 hr idk 8
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr RCC Biblical Beas... 670,271
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr NIST 286,454
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 4 hr WildWeirdWillie 184,287
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 4 hr Halle Berry Sister 4,032
More from around the web