“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#764795 Aug 4, 2014
Joyful8118 wrote:
Yay, I will be starting work very soon. Next year my children will not be going to that corrupt public school.:) God exists. God is great!!

No IANS, every teacher and everyone else always gushes about how smart, well-behaved, respectful, and kind my children are. I know how to raise kind, respectful, smart, well-behaved children.:) Have a joyful day.
Andet, is that you?

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#764796 Aug 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I would prefer Hawking speak for himself, rather than let an idiot like you speak for him:
"The absence of event horizons means that there are no black holes, in the sense of regimes from which light can't escape,"
-Stephen Hawking, January 22, 2014 at the Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics in Santa Barbara, California.
The defining element of black holes is an event horizon which acts as a firewall from which nothing can escape, including light. Hawking removes the firewall - and without the event horizon what is being theorized is no longer a "black" hole, by definition. No firewall - then it is not "black".
Take it up with Hawking if you disagree that he did not say what he says.
You stupid moron.
He's just redefining our models of how the phenomena that we've been calling black holes up to now work.

And, yes, it does make them not infinite. I suspect he's correct on that one.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#764797 Aug 4, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a terrible religious construct. Programming it into children is child abuse.
Totally.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#764798 Aug 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
"The absence of event horizons means that there are no black holes, in the sense of regimes from which light can't escape,"
-Stephen Hawking
The nuance in the above sentence is "...in the sense of..."

“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#764799 Aug 4, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
1300 posts in just a few days? Hold carp. What'd I miss? Is Stalin still considered a Christian by the atheists? Is the USA still a war mongering country? Is Jesus all a myth still? If I say anything about gays that isn't status quo, am I still a homophobe?

Nothing changed? Huh...
Why are you holding carp?

http://i.imgur.com/vVWkRB9.jpg

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#764800 Aug 4, 2014
Joyful8118 wrote:
<quoted text>
No dear, my daughter is going to be a Veterinarian, no matter what it takes and my son - well at 5 he says a firefighter or police officer. My daughter already has her plans made - Purdue University. Btw, thanks for helping me make the decision to home school my children. You helped me realize that I can absolutely do the better/best job of it. Bless you and yours.
If you home school, she will never, ever get into Purdue. As a vet, she will have to be very heavily schooled in all the sciences. Think you are up to it? Think you know as much science as the teachers in her school?

To think you would undermine your childs` future for spite against a poster here is unthinkable. What is wrong with this picture?

Think you can teach her all the college courses too? Do you think you can insulate your kids from the rest of the world all their lives? Life doesn't work that way, hon.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#764801 Aug 4, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
"Those words come directly from Hawking’s latest paper, but they are contained within a larger point involving the mechanics of a black hole and its famous “event horizon.”(That’s the area thought to exist around a black hole from which nothing, not even light, can escape.) To be clear, Hawking was not claiming that black holes don’t exist. Astronomers have been observing black holes for decades

, said Joseph Polchinski, theoretical physicist at the Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics at the University of California, Santa Barbara.
What Hawking did was propose an explanation to one of the most puzzling problems in theoretical physics. How can black holes exist when they seem to break two fundamental laws of physics — Einstein’s laws of relativity and quantum mechanics? We’ll explain."
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/hawking-m...
His actual paper that you're referring to:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1401.5761v1.pdf
I think you misunderstood.
Your author is wrong.

"Astronomers have been observing black holes for decades"

No, no astronomer has ever observed a black hole, and none has any observational evidence of a black hole.

He states that Hawking is not saying what Hawking is saying - that black holes do not exist.

Black holes are defined by the quality of an event horizon barrier to light escaping, hence, the term "black".

Absent the barrier, no black hole. That is exactly what Hawking said.

The details of the matter are much worse than that for the black hole theory.

Location hidden

#764802 Aug 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
A tax exemption is not a subsidy. A subsidy is a monetary transfer, as in Christians being taxed and giving money to Planned Parenthood for abortions.(a violation of federal law)
A tax exemption involves money that already belongs to the exempted person or entity.
What do you call food stamp benefits? Is that paid for by the churches money only? That money comes from every working person in the state.

Location hidden

#764803 Aug 4, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you home school, she will never, ever get into Purdue. As a vet, she will have to be very heavily schooled in all the sciences. Think you are up to it? Think you know as much science as the teachers in her school?
To think you would undermine your childs` future for spite against a poster here is unthinkable. What is wrong with this picture?
Think you can teach her all the college courses too? Do you think you can insulate your kids from the rest of the world all their lives? Life doesn't work that way, hon.
Have you ever looked at test scores of home-schoolers compared to students in public schools?

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#764804 Aug 4, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
1300 posts in just a few days? Hold carp. What'd I miss? Is Stalin still considered a Christian by the atheists? Is the USA still a war mongering country? Is Jesus all a myth still? If I say anything about gays that isn't status quo, am I still a homophobe?
Nothing changed? Huh...
Hold carp?

Were you on a fishing trip?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#764805 Aug 4, 2014
Joyful8118 wrote:
IANS, I hope you find happiness and joy in your life and cease being the biased, hateful, sad, and miserable person that you currently are.
I am a very happy person. Why shouldn't I be? I am in good health, I have a loving wife, friends that I enjoy, all my time is mine, no financial worries, and I live in a beautiful place with excellent weather.

On the other hand, being a ditzy, morally challenged, single, unemployed mother unable to support her children without help, who has to tell herself repeatedly that she is not afraid, that she is smart and kind, and that her god is real might be grounds for being hateful, sad, and miserable. I wouldn't know.

Rational biases are called wisdom. I have many, such as my bias against drunk driving and incurring excessive debt.

And criticizing the Christian church does not make me hateful, sad or miserable. Nor does giving you a taste of your own medicine. They are both justified.
Joyful8118 wrote:
Well, off to do the many things a Mother does. Lots of cleaning, laundry, and other things to get done.
I'm envious. We took our lakeside walk at dawn, and just got back from the dog park. I have a bridge tournament in two hours, then Jeopardy at the pub followed by dinner and drinks out with friends.

Don't forget to separate the whites and colors.

Location hidden

#764806 Aug 4, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh?
There is no controversy in science with regards to evolution.
I didn't know that.

Thanks.

Some thought Kettlewell warming moths on his car hood and taking pictures of them glued to trees to put in science textbooks was controversial.

They must have been mistaken.

San Francisco, CA

#764807 Aug 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Your author is wrong.
"Astronomers have been observing black holes for decades"
No, no astronomer has ever observed a black hole, and none has any observational evidence of a black hole.
He states that Hawking is not saying what Hawking is saying - that black holes do not exist.
Black holes are defined by the quality of an event horizon barrier to light escaping, hence, the term "black".
Absent the barrier, no black hole. That is exactly what Hawking said.
The details of the matter are much worse than that for the black hole theory.
Buck, please.

You're starting to sound like the Redneck.

San Francisco, CA

#764808 Aug 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever looked at test scores of home-schoolers compared to students in public schools?
In my view, parents who home-school their children are creating a huge black hole.

Location hidden

#764809 Aug 4, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
He's just redefining our models of how the phenomena that we've been calling black holes up to now work.
And, yes, it does make them not infinite. I suspect he's correct on that one.
If you 'redefine' something by taking out the defining element, and say they do not exist as defined by that defining element, I feel secure in saying they do not exist, particularly when he said it first.

Location hidden

#764810 Aug 4, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
The nuance in the above sentence is "...in the sense of..."
That's the only sense there was.

He's saying something exists, but it's not a black hole.

Hence, "There are no black holes...".

Location hidden

#764811 Aug 4, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you call food stamp benefits? Is that paid for by the churches money only? That money comes from every working person in the state.
No, it comes from every tax-paying person.

Food stamp benefits are subsidies. They are wealth transfers.

Food stamps also subsidize cigarettes and beer.(fungibility of money - you can look it up)

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#764812 Aug 4, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Totally.
Have you ever heard, "She's got an ass that won't quit."?

What does an ass look like that will quit?

Can you tell, just by looking, when an ass will quit?

I think in most cases, that ass that looks like it won't quit is one that will quit, and sooner than you think.

Don't mind me. I'm just bored with what's going on in the thread.

Since: Apr 14

Location hidden

#764813 Aug 4, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Awesome. Go hard or go home. Best of luck to your daughter.
Here's the Purdue Website for Vet school:
http://www.vet.purdue.edu/education/
What you'll need to prepare her for admissions:
http://www.vet.purdue.edu/dvm/index.php#dvmpr...
The pre-reqs for getting into the program (the courses she has to have taken at University before applying to the program):
http://www.vet.purdue.edu/dvm/files/documents...
They include:
"Inorganic chemistry with lab 2
Organic chemistry with lab 2
Biochemistry + 1
Biology with lab (diversity, developmental, cell structure) 2
Genetics 1
Microbiology (general or medical) with lab 1
Nutrition (animal) 1
Physics with lab 2
Calculus 1
Statistics 1
English Composition 1
Communication (interpersonal, persuasion, or speech) 1
Careers in Veterinary Medicine (if available) 1
Humanities (Foreign languages, cognitive sciences, and social sciences)"
So please remember to teach your daughter math, chemistry and biology (she'll need to know evolution). Don't worry about the social sciences, they're pretty easy for young people of her generation.
Have fun and good luck :)
She and I already have all the info needed from her guidance counselor. That is one of the very few at her school that is worth a crap. I did great in school and still do in college and will have no problem teaching her or her brother.

Location hidden

#764814 Aug 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it comes from every tax-paying person.
Food stamp benefits are subsidies. They are wealth transfers.
Food stamps also subsidize cigarettes and beer.(fungibility of money - you can look it up)
That is what Joy receives, food stamps to feed her kids.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min Gods r Delusions ... 568,759
There is Everything Wrong with Abortion (Nov '07) 5 min Grunt56 221,555
Dubai massage Body To Body full service 0559... (Mar '14) 1 hr Fred 178
Key to Patriot's changes against Seahawks 1 hr Doctor REALITY 2
Fischbach army depot-NATO site 67 (Mar '07) 1 hr Marc MIller 414
sexy boobs (Jul '14) 1 hr manjunathramaswamy 3
Scientific proof for God's existence 1 hr Rick in Kansas 653
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr RiccardoFire 267,640
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr mike 607,271
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 4 hr Just Think 120,799
More from around the web