Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#763336 Jul 29, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
We did, actually. And, as I wrote in the original, which you left out by accident, we have moved beyond them in science.
We did not benefit from his discourse on race - but Hitler did. Strange that Hitler subsequently banned his books. I'm still trying to figure that out.
He banned all sorts of books that didn't fit in his ideology, from Darwin to the Bible, and everything in between.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#763337 Jul 29, 2014
Someone asked me about my relationship to Christianity via private PM. This is what I wrote:

"I've lived in Canada and the US, did most of my education in English and am quite familiar with Christianity. All my life, Christians have lied to me about mythology, claiming it's real, and lying to try to get me into their churches. At uni, it was always "would you mind taking a census?" and in Japan "we'll teach you English if you come with us" or "I have tickets to a rock concert, want to come?" (from a friend).

Near my dorm in the US, Christians invited me to their Thanksgiving dinner at Church - free for everyone. I said "no, no, sorry, I'm an atheist and I just don't mix well with religious people." They said "no one will bother you! Please come." So, I went and they cornered me and argued with me for 2 hours. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed crushing their faith, but they lied.

Christianity is a deeply dishonest religion. Just look at what they claim on our forum - total lies about science and history. It's incredible. I've never seen a religion so obsessed with spreading it's own belief system that it simply has to deceive others constantly."

For Christians: that your religion is so deeply dishonest should trouble you to no end. It utterly undermines your claim to a benevolent, omnipotent and omniscient deity. You basically act as if you're worshiping Satan, the "deceiver" in your religion.

Certainly all religions have to engage in fiction to some end - they all make up their own mythologies and creation stories, but I've never seen one so blatantly dishonest in its attacks on science, history and scholarship. Probably only Christianity and Muslim religions do so - but I'm ignorant on this point. Perhaps some Hindu or Buddhist cults do, too.

Ironically, Christianity has done so throughout its history. It attacked every new science that emerged from the trash mythology Christianity has laden its believers with for centuries. You have a long, embarrassing history of being science deniers. Only now we won't accept being burned alive or house arrest. We study you. You inform us of the serious cognitive damage religion has insulted you with.

I hope, I hope there' s a cure for you damaged people.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#763338 Jul 29, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
If abstinence education contributes to teen pregnancy then teaching teens to stop at red lights in driver education encourages the running of red lights. The statement is absurd on its face.
You're an idiot. The two are nothing alike.

We don't have millions of years of evolution urging us to run red lights. In fact, our survival instinct gives an imperative to do the opposite once we understand what a red light is and the potential consequences of disregarding it.

This is why don't have much use for the output of faith based thinkers. You seldom know how to think well. You haven't had enough practice.

Location hidden

#763339 Jul 29, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
There is no reason whatsoever to bother proving anything to a faith based thinker in any area where his faith comes to bear on his thinking. Your method of processing truth doesn't involve reason or evidence, just preference and confirmation bias. You believe what is comfortable for you.
How are the Palin girl and her baby doing? And the baby daddy? The parents are both alumni of the Abstinence Only program - or as I call it, the Accidents Only program.
Palin supports abstinence education but her daughter went to a secular school that taught safe sex.

Go figure.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#763340 Jul 29, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
He banned all sorts of books that didn't fit in his ideology, from Darwin to the Bible, and everything in between.
I may be mistaken here, but I don't believe he banned the bible. Removing it from schools is one thing, but outright banning, nope.

To be honest, if you ignore his end goal (which we should not!), removing bibles from schools is a positive. They're not on every desk in classrooms anymore - and why should they be? Why your holy book and not someone else's?

Certainly, the bible belongs in the library. Absolutely. It's an important read for someone from Western culture - part of your history. But not even remotely as a teaching aid. That would be as silly as teaching Norse mythology as if it were real.

Fennario

#763341 Jul 29, 2014
curiouslu wrote:
Copious laughter aside, must be a hell of an interesting time and place to be now, the US that is.

Well, well. Satanists to use Hobby Lobby to block pro-life propaganda

The Satanic Temple set up a website where women seeking an abortion can print out a letter for her healthcare provider explaining why she is exempt from informed consent mandates.

Can't wait to hear how the pro-life Hobby Lobby supporters respond to this.
<quoted text>
http://m.dailykos.com/story/2014/07/28/131727...
This didn't take long. Nor was it difficult to foresee. It is likely just the beginning of a long series of initiatives from both sides. It can't help but be bad for the church, which fired the first salvo.

Yeah, it is a great time to be alive, but you don't need to be an American or in America to enjoy it.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#763342 Jul 29, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh.
So when he said "Please alliterate god's plan again" he obviously wasn't talking about God.
Thanks for clearing that up.
The point he's making is exactly the opposite of how you reformulated it.

San Francisco, CA

#763343 Jul 29, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
lightbeamrider wrote:
If abstinence education contributes to teen pregnancy then teaching teens to stop at red lights in driver education encourages the running of red lights.
<quoted text>
@ Catcher. Is this the type of honesty you'd like to see more of?
I'm looking for more honesty from you, yes.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#763344 Jul 29, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
Palin supports abstinence education but her daughter went to a secular school that taught safe sex.
Go figure.
You know, when Missionaries moved into new foraging groups to erase the indigenous religions with their own (through bribes via gifts of modern technology), they were baffled to find that, though teens had lots of sex, no one got pregnant until after 20.

Then, after adopting Christianity, all these teen pregnancies popped up.

Stupid social scientists hypothesized that if teens have lots of sex, they produce hormones that block pregnancy.

Care to offer a hypothesis or should I just tell you the obvious answer?

Fennario

#763345 Jul 29, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
. Isn't even $1000 worth not risking pregnancy for a decade? Why should someone else pay for it for you?
I trust you agree that an employer shouldn't have to pay your tithe, either, or buy you a bible. You probably thought that your compensation package was yours to use as you see fit since you earned it, but apparently not. Hobby Lobby and the popes emissaries on the Court have seen to that.

Now we'll see the unintended consequences of that decision, ones readily apparent to all except the religious zealots that midwifed that monstrosity into existence.

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#763346 Jul 29, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. I made up the entire Cognitive Science journal, made up the above studies and all their sources. I'm that awesome.
You are pretty stupid when your religion is being threatened.
And you refuse to address the pre-existing prejudice in your "story". Also, you didn't "show" any article existing in the journal you cited, or even the journal itself. That someone even decided to try and prove, to even imagine there was this difference between groups of children showed a propensity towards bigotry against one group and not the other. People lie, in "studies" and in polls, in an effort to manipulate society "towards" a preferred goal.

I've seen it done in college myself.

IOWs, nobody truly skeptical would believe a word you say.

You've made up shyt before, and when I called you on it, you ran. What's up, did IANS lend you his extra pair of bronzed balls? Burned is more likely.

Location hidden

#763347 Jul 29, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Someone asked me about my relationship to Christianity via private PM. This is what I wrote:
"I've lived in Canada and the US, did most of my education in English and am quite familiar with Christianity. All my life, Christians have lied to me about mythology, claiming it's real, and lying to try to get me into their churches. At uni, it was always "would you mind taking a census?" and in Japan "we'll teach you English if you come with us" or "I have tickets to a rock concert, want to come?" (from a friend).
Near my dorm in the US, Christians invited me to their Thanksgiving dinner at Church - free for everyone. I said "no, no, sorry, I'm an atheist and I just don't mix well with religious people." They said "no one will bother you! Please come." So, I went and they cornered me and argued with me for 2 hours. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed crushing their faith, but they lied.
Christianity is a deeply dishonest religion. Just look at what they claim on our forum - total lies about science and history. It's incredible. I've never seen a religion so obsessed with spreading it's own belief system that it simply has to deceive others constantly."
For Christians: that your religion is so deeply dishonest should trouble you to no end. It utterly undermines your claim to a benevolent, omnipotent and omniscient deity. You basically act as if you're worshiping Satan, the "deceiver" in your religion.
Certainly all religions have to engage in fiction to some end - they all make up their own mythologies and creation stories, but I've never seen one so blatantly dishonest in its attacks on science, history and scholarship. Probably only Christianity and Muslim religions do so - but I'm ignorant on this point. Perhaps some Hindu or Buddhist cults do, too.
Ironically, Christianity has done so throughout its history. It attacked every new science that emerged from the trash mythology Christianity has laden its believers with for centuries. You have a long, embarrassing history of being science deniers. Only now we won't accept being burned alive or house arrest. We study you. You inform us of the serious cognitive damage religion has insulted you with.
I hope, I hope there' s a cure for you damaged people.
Your premise is based on the assumption that Christianity is nothing more than false mythology. That is, of course, only your opinion.

I hope there's a cure to help you understand that.

Location hidden

#763348 Jul 29, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, when Missionaries moved into new foraging groups to erase the indigenous religions with their own (through bribes via gifts of modern technology), they were baffled to find that, though teens had lots of sex, no one got pregnant until after 20.
Then, after adopting Christianity, all these teen pregnancies popped up.
Stupid social scientists hypothesized that if teens have lots of sex, they produce hormones that block pregnancy.
Care to offer a hypothesis or should I just tell you the obvious answer?
Bullshyt.

Location hidden

#763349 Jul 29, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
There is no reason whatsoever to bother proving anything to a faith based thinker ...
Then stfu and go away.

Fennario

#763350 Jul 29, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
The fault is not with abstinence only education and it does not have to be that expensive. If the student learns the consequences of pre maritial sex then they are responsible. Again, the fault is not with the message. Go ahead and teach your daughters since abstinence is unreasonable they should go ahead and have sex with good time Charlie.
You remain an idiot. The stupidity of this comment speaks for itself

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#763351 Jul 29, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>And you refuse to address the pre-existing prejudice in your "story". Also, you didn't "show" any article existing in the journal you cited, or even the journal itself. That someone even decided to try and prove, to even imagine there was this difference between groups of children showed a propensity towards bigotry against one group and not the other. People lie, in "studies" and in polls, in an effort to manipulate society "towards" a preferred goal.
I've seen it done in college myself.
IOWs, nobody truly skeptical would believe a word you say.
You've made up shyt before, and when I called you on it, you ran. What's up, did IANS lend you his extra pair of bronzed balls? Burned is more likely.
Uh, moron, I linked to it. Straight to the journal. Then I copied and pasted parts of it.

I never made up stuff before, and you've never called me on making stuff up. I would also never leave because of you, miss arrogant. You have absolutely no effect on my life.

You are mental, but wow, you're going above and beyond today.

Location hidden

#763352 Jul 29, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
Its not which one we, on this thread do or do not agree with that matters. It is what teenagers respond to. You may have one teen out of a hundred that might take those things to heart. Most of them will laugh it off. Teens live a whole entire secret life from what their parents think. And they don't believe one thing you tell them. The more you preach abstinence the more likely they are to have sex.
And you can just get off your high horse that it is all the girls fault. No baby is born without somebody sowing the seeds my dear. That guttersnipe boy that tells a girl he loves her just to get between her legs is a snake. Gets her pregnant and runs away.
Is that why you are so bitter? Got a girl pregnant and you just had to blame her?
They are kids, children without the experience and wisdom of adults and they do stupid things. All the preaching in the world will not make them one iota smarter.
Ahem! Reality call!

Teenagers aren't reading this thread.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#763353 Jul 29, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I may be mistaken here, but I don't believe he banned the bible. Removing it from schools is one thing, but outright banning, nope.
To be honest, if you ignore his end goal (which we should not!), removing bibles from schools is a positive. They're not on every desk in classrooms anymore - and why should they be? Why your holy book and not someone else's?
Certainly, the bible belongs in the library. Absolutely. It's an important read for someone from Western culture - part of your history. But not even remotely as a teaching aid. That would be as silly as teaching Norse mythology as if it were real.
He didn't ban it but wanted to replace it with his version.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-39947...

BTW this is more evidence he was a christard!

San Francisco, CA

#763354 Jul 29, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
Your premise is based on the assumption that Christianity is nothing more than false mythology. That is, of course, only your opinion.
Is there such a thing as true mythology?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#763355 Jul 29, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
Like all believers, you "know" against all odds that your religion is "the one, true religion."

Not surprisingly, it's difficult for you to understand that believers of other religions have a very different, yet qualitatively similar opinion about their religions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 3 min HipGnosis 173,820
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 22 min USA Born 543,051
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 23 min KiMare 227,811
www.mygiftcardsite.com balance - Mygiftcardsite... (Dec '12) 26 min Donald 29
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 30 min vanathiyazhini 5,386
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 49 min Dr_Zorderz 259,673
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 55 min Student 38,716
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 10 hr gangsxofxroses_andii 157

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••