Prove there's a god.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#761173 Jul 23, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
I'm going to handle this like I always do when somebody repeatedly fails to answer a question. I'll answer it for you, and allow you to correct my answer to reflect what you actually believe. There is no quicker way to resolve such a matter. My question (asked twice now): "So what then is your larger point? That we have the bible or Christianity to thank for abolition, civil rights and/or women voting? I would argue the opposite. Citing examples from history of Christians behaving honorably or intelligently is not an endorsement of Christianity unless you can also demonstrate that it was their Christian upbringing in biblical principles that led them to those conclusions, conclusions that non-Christian not referring to bibles couldn't have come to. Is that your position? "

Posited answer: I can't show any correlation between the actions of exceptional Christians and their Christian upbringing. I would like for my church and religion to get credit for that, but I cannot causally connect the two. For example, I have cited Martin Luther King Jr, a renowned genius and civil rights leader, and have implied that his Christian upbringing was somehow relevant,but am unable to account for why there was only one like him. If the church were in any way responsible for that man, there ought to be tens of thousands or millions of copies like him.
Lab28 wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W oman%27s_Christian_Temperance_ Union
I think we both have an ideal picture of what should happen if someone is living out the implications of their faith and that faith is Christianity. But we both know that it isn't the case in this world.

But it draws two completely different conclusions.
That doesn't appear to be the case. I see only one conclusion, the one expressed explicitly by me. At this point, you are tacitly concurring with it. I posted, "I'll answer it for you, and allow you to correct my answer to reflect what you actually believe," and you declined to disagree. It is assumed that you would have provided a cogent rebuttal if you had one.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#761174 Jul 23, 2014
<quoted text>dirty white boy- wrote, "Hey bro, that's good looking out there for what you're trying to do for those two.."

KENTUCKY wrote, "yes , later bud."

Behold Christianity. They're patting one another on the back for this effort to cause strife. This is the hive swarming.
Dare I even bother to look at the link?

Fennario

#761175 Jul 23, 2014
Joyful8118 wrote:
Kindness is something that everyone should show, not just Christians.
Just Christians? GTFOOH

We're quite familiar with Christian kindness. This thread is littered with it. We just saw some from Kentucky and Dirty White Boy, and you are another fine example.
Catcher1 wrote:
You have a right to say whatever you want.
Not just a right to say whatever her precious little heart desires, but an expectation from those interested in observing and exploring the character of Christianity that she will. It is here that we can witness the huge disconnect between the claims of Christianity for itself and what it actually is and does.
Catcher1 wrote:
But you still come off pretty much as a self-absorbed idiot.
And there it is. This Christian is especially prone to telling us how smart and kind she is as she proceeds to live out stupid and abusive.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#761176 Jul 23, 2014
Good on him.

<quoted text>
Tom Petty Criticizes Catholic Church For Sex Abuses In New Song 'Playing Dumb'
Antonia Blumberg The Huffington Post 07/21/14 11:43 AM ET
Rocker Tom Petty has taken on a weighty and controversial topic in the bonus track to his new album, "Hypnotic Eye," and it's not bound to win him any friends at the Vatican.

The song -- "Playing Dumb" -- addresses the victims of the Catholic Church's sex abuses over the last several decades and will appear as a bonus track on the new album's vinyl release.

In an interview with Billboard preceding the album's release, Petty said:

"I'm fine with whatever religion you want to have…[But] if I was in a club, and I found out that there had been generations of people abusing children, and then that club was covering that up, I would quit the club. And I wouldn't give them any more money."
Billboard quoted several lines from the song that illustrate a sense of distrust toward the church:“For every confession that wasn’t on the level/For every man of God that lives with hidden devils.”

Although "Playing Dumb" may be one of the first songs explicitly written about the Catholic Church's sex abuses, Petty isn't the first mainstream artist to publicly condemn the church its response to the allegations. In 1992 singer Sinéad O'Connor unexpectedly ripped up a photograph of Pope John Paul II on the set of Saturday Night Live to protest sex abuse in the church.

In an interview with Salon ten years after the incident O'Connor expressed a desire to "be honest" about the Catholic Church, even if that honesty landed her in trouble. "You can’t let fear stop you," she said. "That’s one of the things you learn from people like Jesus, or the Martin Luther Kings or any of those people. You can’t let fear stop you from being honest.”
<quoted text>
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5605881...

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#761177 Jul 23, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Behold Christianity. They're patting one another on the back for this effort to cause strife. This is the hive swarming.
There is nothing Christian about me bud!
I guess you're wanting your " ego " stroked by your parrots for that huh..

Location hidden

#761178 Jul 23, 2014
<quoted text>
And here's a nice illustration of what I was just talking about. Kentucky witnessed an effort by a Christian and a non-Christian to find common ground and deal with one another politely and constructively, and his reaction is to mock it and attempt to foment discord in ots place. What better illustration could you ask for? The culture of Christianity has nothing to do with loving one another or the Golden Rule. It's about the opposite.
And that is one of the lessons learned from the Topix experience: the nature of this religion and the damage it does.
From a few hours ago:
Lab28 wrote: "That's nice "you are an object of study for us."
IANS wrote: "Is that offensive? We learn about the effect of Christianity on people by observing the Christians posting here."
Yes, Lab, people like Kentucky are objects of study. Witness Christianity in action.
Do you need a tissue dude?
I got a white sheet you can borrow to dry your tears..
Seems you think Christianity is your only problem?
A few doesn't make up the whole IANS, unlike the .0001 percent of atheist..

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#761179 Jul 23, 2014
curiouslu wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel sorry for his wife, the poor woman is not only for sale at Walmart of all places but has to be the one who fastens his straight jacket.
Absolutely, certifiably stark raving .

Fennario

#761180 Jul 23, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
So the first three commandants are those of a stalker
Lab28 wrote:
Here is another story Jesus told:“The Kingdom of Heaven is like a farmer who planted good seed in his field ... So, does it sound like the farmer is diligently keeping his eye out, watching as the wheat grows and diligently pulling out anything that looks like a weed? Nope. He let's them grow, gives them the freedom to be weeds, let's them get good and strong until the harvest. Does that sound like a stalker to you?
Different god. She was referring to the angry, judgmental, vengeful, narcissistic god of the Old Testament, Jehovah, not the New Testament god that you quoted, Jesus. That one is much gentler.
Lab28 wrote:
Morals. So, what evidence do you have that anyone, anywhere has made the implication that there weren't morals before Mosaic law?
Really? You've never read anything like this:

"When Jesus was tempted in the wilderness, He used only the word of God to overcome Satan's attacks. Without it, man has no moral compass; without it, man has no understanding of God's will; and without it, man has no weapon against the destroyer who wants to lead him down the path of destruction."
http://seekhimnow.com/seekers/modules/iconten...

Nanoanomaly (posting as Sheila) claimed that man learned incest avoidance from Deuteronomy
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

It's a pretty common claim from Christians that morality was invented by their god, and that those morals are objective and absolute. If they acknowledge that any other competing moral systems existed before their scriptures, the consider them false morals. Generally, they tell us unbelievers that we have no morals at all and are free to do whatever we like if not subjected to what they consider the only authentic moral code.

You might not agree with that, but many of your fellow saints do.

Location hidden

#761181 Jul 23, 2014
I would like to apologize to the board and IANS for what I said last night regarding IANS..
There were thangs going on here that had nothing to do with the board..
I lash out on paper and am used to writing stuff down, and this was the most handy at the time.
My Apologies..

Location hidden

#761182 Jul 23, 2014

Location hidden

#761183 Jul 23, 2014

Fennario

#761184 Jul 23, 2014
Joyful8118 wrote:
I could never demean or attack you for your beliefs and I would never bring your personal life/you personally into it
Liar. That's exactly what you do.

Since: Mar 14

Lawnton, Australia

#761185 Jul 23, 2014
Christian power is the making of current souls. In the moment there is no sin. We are the powerful 51percent Stu

Lawnton, Australia

#761186 Jul 23, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Different god. She was referring to the angry, judgmental, vengeful, narcissistic god of the Old Testament, Jehovah, not the New Testament god that you quoted, Jesus. That one is much gentler.
<quoted text>
Really? You've never read anything like this:
"When Jesus was tempted in the wilderness, He used only the word of God to overcome Satan's attacks. Without it, man has no moral compass; without it, man has no understanding of God's will; and without it, man has no weapon against the destroyer who wants to lead him down the path of destruction."
http://seekhimnow.com/seekers/modules/iconten...
Nanoanomaly (posting as Sheila) claimed that man learned incest avoidance from Deuteronomy
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
It's a pretty common claim from Christians that morality was invented by their god, and that those morals are objective and absolute. If they acknowledge that any other competing moral systems existed before their scriptures, the consider them false morals. Generally, they tell us unbelievers that we have no morals at all and are free to do whatever we like if not subjected to what they consider the only authentic moral code.
You might not agree with that, but many of your fellow saints do.
I am not the spokesperson but I know we are all the children of god. Perhaps I am the spokesperson in the absence thereof?

Lawnton, Australia

#761187 Jul 23, 2014
The infinite has a morality that touches us. As children we see, the adult that rules is the lie. We are all the children of god. stu

Fennario

#761188 Jul 23, 2014
Joyful8118 wrote:
Like I said, I was making a point to IANS ...
You made your point. Now I am making mine.
Joyful8118 wrote:
... not trying to hurt him. You, him, and others here don't care what you make others feel.
Sorry, but that's you. I asked you like I ask every other poster: keep it to ideas, not personal attacks. You refused. You were indifferent. You got angry over nothing and lashed out. Of course you were trying to be hurtful.
Joyful8118 wrote:
Is that how atheists are? Is that how humanists are?
It's how you are.
Joyful8118 wrote:
you caused the problem because you got rude with me when you didn't agree with my view and because I would not bow down to your view, so I let go on you. I have a right to believe what I want.
YOU caused the problem. You don't understand what you read, you get angry at your misunderstanding, and then you lash out. I was not rude to your before that.
Joyful8118 wrote:
You don't have a right to bully me when I don't agree. If you don't like it, don't do it to others.
YOU are the bully. In this venue, bullying is limited to words, and it was YOU who chose to introduce abusive language. Now you want to blame others for your own failures.
Joyful8118 wrote:
I am a Christian.
You are also a contemptible little worm for the reasons given above (I hope that you don't mind that I modified your "deceitful snake" comment to me that much before reflecting back on you).

Is that what you mean by bullying?

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#761189 Jul 23, 2014
Stuart Cudahy wrote:
The infinite has a morality that touches us. As children we see, the adult that rules is the lie. We are all the children of god. stu
What would the purpose of God wanting us to remain Innocent as children?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#761190 Jul 23, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
from the movie "Dune".....but since I am not a "nerdy nerd" - I had to google it.
:o)
I used this name once as a Dungeons and Dragons character. Lol

Nerdiest of the nerds....

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#761191 Jul 23, 2014
Stuart Cudahy wrote:
I heard once that Satan was/is a fan of man and that He thought God was holding man hostage by wanting him to remain un knowledgeable about the world.
Satan was obviously given the power to tempt man, why do you think that was? I mean if God had wanted us to remain Innocent, why unleash a beast of vile like Satan on man?

Fennario

#761192 Jul 23, 2014
Lab28 wrote:
it is the responsibility of each of those individuals to not allow their feelings to take over and devalue or dehumanize the other person. That is the only way that there can be peace.
Then the prognosis for peace is grim. Few Christians can remain as impassive as you have been in the face of anti-ecclesiatical criticism..

It appears that nothing can be done to heal the division caused by Christian dogma. You might have seen the four scriptures I posted that describe unbelievers as lying, corrupt, vile, abominable, godless vessels in the service of evil, not one of which does any good, and fit to be burned alive forever as the moral equivalent of murderers and whoremongers?(Psalm 14:1, Revelation 21:8, 2 Corinthians 6:14, and 1 John 2:22). That doctrine and the hatred that follows creates an irreconcilable division between Christians and unbelievers.

I understand that you would like to see peace and mutual respect of persons if not of ideas. So would I. But how will you stop the hive from swarming, and how can there be peace without that?

"There is a cost to deciding that you’re going to take Christianity on faith, and that is that when you run into folks like us who don’t believe it, you are compelled ... to think all kinds of horrific things about us, and come at us with these threats of eternal torment which draws an insurmountable line between us. We cannot be friends because of what you have decided to take on faith.”- Jeff Dee

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 min Joe Fortuna 63,124
Queen Cleopatra was clearly Black. White people... (Aug '10) 4 min gundee123 792
Straight/Gay Question 18 min Help 8
The REAL reason the world trade center was dest... (Apr '15) 27 min Johnny 42
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 36 min Regina 653,553
Jokes About The Crew !!!!!! (Oct '10) 39 min andet1987 9
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 50 min andet1987 2,561
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Peace_Warrior 618,730
first gay experience? (Sep '14) 6 hr Katie_Anderson14 41
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 8 hr RiccardoFire 106,459
More from around the web