Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Wednesday Jul 16

Judged:

Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, so it's a trick because it is an embarrassment to our culture? But what about to the culture of newly converted Jews to which Paul wrote to in Galatians? Would Mosaic law be an insult to them? Of course not, in fact they were insisting that gentiles would need to live by some of those laws in order to find salvation.
Paul's argument is that we aren't righteous due to obedience to the law, though the law is still there in full affect. That the law serves to curse us, but that Christ took the curse for us. Therefore the law was not rescinded, abolished, amended, reformed or whatever else you can do to a law. It was something completely different, something that doesn't really exist outside of the context of Mosaic law and its' relation to a Christian saved by grace, fulfilled.
Yeah a law can't be fulfilled, unless you're Jesus.
And I said I was done with the semantic argument, oh well, not the first time I've been a hypocrite.
I think your religion is fantastic - what wonderful mental gymnastics!

You're basically saying that your religion requires people to be "born evil" so that suffering is easier to explain. Such ideas weren't really an issue for most people until the concept of childhood arose in industrial cultures - once you have a cultural construction of children as naive and innocent beings, you're forced with reconciling "original sin" and "children."

Clearly most Christians don't care to think about that paradox. Yet it's just one more contradiction enjoyed by your religion that require carefully mediated justification.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Wednesday Jul 16

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
You're right [nanoscrunt]. You have no choice but to read each and every one of his posts. Carry on.
LOL. Can nanoscrunt be launched into space like Jesus was?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Wednesday Jul 16

Judged:

Proxy Queen wrote:
Interesting. See? This is moving forward instead of being stuck in the usual Topix rut. Can you expand on becoming one with math? As math is a chore for me, not a pleasure, that's an alien sentence. What do you mean?
Look at this, then let's discuss it - what you liked, didn't like, or would like to discuss in any other way http://www.examiner.com/article/mathematics-a...

This is so good of you to be this way. Cherish it. Nourish it.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Wednesday Jul 16

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
Don't give up on yourself, Nano.
Why not? Who better?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Wednesday Jul 16

Judged:

Lab28 wrote:
Paul ... His message is consistent and doesn't contradict what we learn in the gospels.
Except where it isn't/doesn't.

For example. Jesus said the old law was still in effect. Paul overturned that.

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished." (Jesus in Matthew 5:17–18)

“Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.”(Paul in Galatians 3:23-25)

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Wednesday Jul 16

Judged:

scaritual wrote:
We've discussed this before, but the word, "spiritual" has been hijacked by religion(S). Religion has taught and enforced that spiritual experiences can only come from religion, and specifically, deity centered religions. It's a great disservice to humanity.
Agreed. Let's take it back. Spirituality is far from religiosity.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Wednesday Jul 16

Judged:

gort wrote:
what do i gotta do? witch, viking, gw2? joyousness77? wordofyou? screwu? proxybybirth? ANYBODY? sacred? trissha? can i smash a chick's face in, if the mood strikes me? blow up women's health centers? charge 5000 percent interest. have chickies all i want rob banks. set u on fire
You should stay indoors and confine your activities to microwaving, eating, sleeping, Internetting, reading, and watching TV. I assume you don't work or have a family.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Wednesday Jul 16

Judged:

curiouslu wrote:
Know what helps the world turn? People. Humans are beautiful creatures, did you know that? They can care about and love each other and help each other out.
That's my species! We're the best think that the universe has made that we are aware of, and probably the best thing for light years. Congratulations to us both for being human..

And if your religion teaches differently, sorry about that. It did you a disservice.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Wednesday Jul 16

Judged:

Al Garcia wrote:
Standing in the corner and condemning others is wrong. Building a community with understanding and love is right.
I'm sure that you are aware that whenever you literally try to be Christlike, you run into the most backlash not from unbelievers, but from Christians that you make feel guilty.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Wednesday Jul 16

Judged:

BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF ?
He quoted Exodus in the segment you responded to.
Do you constantly demonstrate your stupidity in public or just on anonymous forums ?
Ben Adam stupid #2. Ther interpretation is off claiming the pregnant female miscarries and gives birth to a dead baby. Its an idiot interpretation. So F off.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Wednesday Jul 16

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Except where it isn't/doesn't.
For example. Jesus said the old law was still in effect. Paul overturned that.
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished." (Jesus in Matthew 5:17–18)
“Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.”(Paul in Galatians 3:23-25)
Paul was post resurrection to an audience of Gentiles. Jesus was pre resurrection to an audience of Jews. So much for kindergarden Christianity to Topix idjuts.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Wednesday Jul 16

Judged:

dirty white boy- wrote:
<quoted text> I had almost rather be alone and lonely than be with someone and made to feel lonely and alone..
You are...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Wednesday Jul 16

Judged:

nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>You're the only one hallucinating about rape comments.
Nope.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Wednesday Jul 16

Judged:

Proxy Queen wrote:
Excellent post, Al. That's a great example of how churches help their communities across the country.
Or maybe it's just a great example of one atypical congregation in one community being of service to its community. You take liberties when you generalize beyond that.

I'd like to see an audit of the church before I passed final judgment on its benevolence.

“Ungood doubleplus duckspeak.”

Since: Dec 12

jill hart photography

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Wednesday Jul 16

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Wednesday Jul 16

Judged:

Proxy Queen wrote:
<quoted text>
If it says miscarriage, it says miscarriage and I'd go along with that. None of the translations I've seen (aside from two posted here) says miscarriage, though. From my perspective, it says premature birth - because "no harm" is done.
HOWEVER, in all honesty and fairness, I've discovered this from a site I use and trust very much, gotquestions.org :
They are discussing abortion in the Bible:
"Exodus 21:22-25 prescribes the same penalty—death—for someone who causes the death of a baby in the womb as for someone who commits murder."
http://www.gotquestions.org/abortion-Bible.ht...
I think they're referring to Exodus 21:23, not Exodus 21:22. What do you think?
ALSO, I've discovered this:
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...
(click on the "[e]" after the word 'prematurely')
My interpretation may have been skewed, maybe not. Who's to say?
Thanks for your honesty. I am quite impressed. You seem to have tapped into something substantial.

I think that the ancient Hebrew really only tells us that the fetus was delivered prematurely without specifying dead or alive. Most such fetuses would die. If one survived, I'm not sure what the fine would be for. As far as I know, people didn't get fined for fighting one another. They were fined to compensate somebody for a loss.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Wednesday Jul 16

Judged:

Proxy Queen wrote:
<quoted text>
1. You quote the Bible too, so....
2. Are you assuming that the "Bronze Age yokels" didn't know the difference between a miscarriage and a premature birth?
1 Yes I do quote the babble, to punctuate my points of the lies, hypocrisy and stupidity of the babble.

2 I am assuming based on documented data. From early Egyptian medicine through to the rise of modern medicine little changed in the knowledge of the human body. Christian religion actually made it impossible to advance medical knowledge by offering a slow and painful death to any medical practitioner accused of attempting such heresy. A child was either born or miscarried, at the time considerably more miscarriages and still deaths than live births. There was no understanding of the mechanism so goddunit.

And still some of the translations are ambiguous... Some words do not even have direct translations but guess how many times there are blanks or notation of ‘here be dragons’ in the bible?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Wednesday Jul 16

Judged:

Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
John Wycliff- The first CATHOLIC to translate the Bible into English. The Church gave him a standing ovation for it. Nooooo..... 30 years after wycliff's death, the Council of Constance ended “the three popes’ reign” and elected Alexander V, who immediately denounced Wycliffe as a heretic, had as many of his books burned as could be found on the Continent and in England, excommunicated and consigned to everlasting flames from the moment of his death. In 1428, Pope Martin V had him dug up and burned at the stake. ecause knowledge is power, and the Catholic Church had all of both. For about 1,000 years, the Bible remained well known only to the church officials, clergy of all orders, and an elect few well educated scholars. It was never counter to any Papal Bull for any person to translate the Bible into another language. However, anyone who intended to do so was strongly admonished by the Pope himself. Poor John Wycliff. He was just trying to get the message out to the people.
Galileo- Do we need a lesson of what happened to him?
Jan Hus-he protested about the church using indulgence for money. Catholic Church saw indulgences as a very good way to get rich, and it worked magnificently. Threaten an ignorant person with eternal burning, and he’ll give you some money to feel safe again.This infuriated the Church officials, who promptly sentenced him to death. They refused him the Last Rites and burned him at the stake. Profit before anything I guess.
William Tyndale-Tyndale dedicated his life to translating the Bible into vernacular English, so the laypeople of England could read it for themselves. He was finally caught after some help from a backstabbing friend named Henry Phillips, charged with heresy for no other reason than translating the Bible into English, and strangled, then burned at the stake, on 6 October 1536, in Vilvoorde, outside Brussels. The Catholic Church has never apologized.
The Inquisitions- need we say more?
The Witch Hunts-
Yup.... The Catholic Church did good...
Oh BTW the First University in the World was not Catholic. It was founded by Muslims.
Nicely said, factual and concise

BTW the Inquisition still exists, only the name on the door has changed to “The Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith”
The cardinal who until recently ran the department was promoted to Pope Benedict XVI.

To be fair though the catholic church did apologise to Galileo – more than 300 years after his death

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Wednesday Jul 16

Judged:

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Black Sabbath is cool and all,,, but I really cannot take Ozzy's voice. Got one of the least impressive voices in metal. Compared to Dio, Ozzy loses bad. Compared to the real monster vocalists, like Halford, Ripper, Dickinson, Tate and Cornel, Ozzy loses worse still.
I live here (well 100 miles north) and the brummie accent is pretty poor for sure.

“ dirty for dirty”

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Wednesday Jul 16

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
You are...
Obsess much?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

409 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 12 min shyam 4,594
Last Word + 2 17 min Rosie 46
Carver Dyck For president!!! (Oct '12) 21 min Carver Dyck 4
I Never Can Say Goodbye 32 min andet1987 3
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 33 min The Awakener 172,342
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 40 min Mi Lin 532,626
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 42 min Krackerjacks 37,607
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 50 min Mandela 115,023
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Commander Bunny 256,450
Does anyone do incest sex with your sister (Apr '12) 4 hr Larry 122
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••