Prove there's a god.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#759385 Jul 18, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Try as I might, I cannot give you the sum of my investigations into humanity via the disciplines of psych (evo, neuro), anth (bio, evo, cultural), biology and history. Given that I'm basing my position on the findings in social science, science and history, I think it's fair to say my position is an intellectual one.
And I am being completely honest when I write "there are no deities." It is precisely as if I am writing "I do not believe in deities" because I, with all my heart and understanding, believe that there are no deities. I am not being dishonest here, covering up my secret beliefs or lying - the above is what I think or what I "know."
I further believe that our science and social science demonstrate beyond any doubt that deities are all human inventions.
Just the cross-cultural evidence alone is compelling enough to conclude that. Hence, not a single believer here has ever been able to answer the "why your deity and not anyone else's" problem, and the "other believers of other religions "know" just as much as you do that their religion is true" and the, perhaps more damning reality that some cultures do not have deities (most South American ones, and many hunter-gatherers) and some do not even have sorcery or spirits, and some do not accept an afterlife.
Clearly, your religion - like any and all religions - are not human universals. The concepts you accept as normal and natural are foreign to many peoples.
And the whole Satan thing is silly and infantile. I don't know why I see that as worse than belief in your main deity. After all they amount to the same thing, but it just seems sillier.
I agree completely.

Since: Sep 10

Manhattan Beach, CA

#759386 Jul 18, 2014
dirty white boy- wrote:
<quoted text> As are most lawyers..
That's not the case.

I know a lot of lawyers.

Scores, literally.

And I can tell you that there are happy lawyers and there are unhappy lawyers.

Same as with any other trade and profession.
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Wheatley, Canada

#759387 Jul 18, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what's so strange, and where we differ. I can't imagine a sane person *not* believing that Satan exists.
To an atheist Satan is about the same as Santa clause

Manhattan Beach, CA

#759388 Jul 18, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I must disagree with Carlos. I fear nothing and I don't think I'm a complete idiot.
Well, you're special, River.

But what I think he means is that discretion is the better part of valor.

Or, as Dave would say, or something like that.

BTW, this is the first time I've seen him referred to as Carlos.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#759389 Jul 18, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
On your last suggestion: There's actually a book by a Japanese author, for children, titled Everyone Poops.
She also wrote The Holes In Your Nose.
let me ask you catch. I am thinking about taking a cruise this fall and with me being a convicted felon, would I be able to travel w/out felony checks, like say to Jamaica ?

Location hidden

#759390 Jul 18, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not the case.
I know a lot of lawyers.
Scores, literally.
And I can tell you that there are happy lawyers and there are unhappy lawyers.
Same as with any other trade and profession.
I to know lawyers.
scores, literally .
and I can tell you they're all snakes..
most I know are crooked..
most being the key word..

Location hidden

#759391 Jul 18, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
The current IRS law says that isn't your concern.
I get to decide what concerns me, fascist.

And this seems to be your best rebuttal.

The law is the law. No shit.

Where is your argument that the law is fair?

Location hidden

#759392 Jul 18, 2014

Manhattan Beach, CA

#759393 Jul 18, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> let me ask you catch. I am thinking about taking a cruise this fall and with me being a convicted felon, would I be able to travel w/out felony checks, like say to Jamaica ?
If you are holding a valid U.S. passport, you should have no problem.

If your passport has been revoked, that's another matter.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#759394 Jul 18, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what's so strange, and where we differ. I can't imagine a sane person *not* believing that Satan exists.
Satan supposedly alters the behavior of us all, believer or non-believer, no prior belief required, whereas god requires unremitting faith before he'll open open his door even a crack. Odd that...

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#759395 Jul 18, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep.
But the Santa thing, in my view, is fine for little kids.
They live in world of fantasy. They can truly believe they have an invisible friend sitting next to them on the bus.
But ferchrissakes, adults have to get over this sort of stuff.
Or become laughingstocks, at least in the world I live in.
Agreed.

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#759396 Jul 18, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are holding a valid U.S. passport, you should have no problem.
If your passport has been revoked, that's another matter.
you have to have a passport to go on a cruise?
dam, i figgered you just bought a ticket and climbed aboard..
fk, I gotta get out of these mountains..

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#759397 Jul 18, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Satan supposedly alters the behavior of us all, believer or non-believer, no prior belief required, whereas god requires unremitting faith before he'll open open his door even a crack. Odd that...
Satan is the only deity in the Christina Pantheon that has any power. One could easily argue that Satan is the ONLY "God" of Christianity.

If such beings were real I would side with Satan, he seems much nicer, honest and trustworthy than YHWY.

Location hidden

#759398 Jul 18, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
Hmmm. I think I see your point.
I'm thinking of HFY (shocking, I know), and how she was never introduced to Christianity as a child like I was - which created a person seeing Christianity as something like "simply ridiculous" (my words, not hers, but I'm sure she'd agree).
In the same way, I was never taught Santa stuff as a kid and as such have always seen belief in Santa as "simply ridiculous" and can't understand why ANY parent would lie to their kids like that.
Is that how some of you see religion? That question is for all atheists here, not just Tide.
There are some important differences. I use Santa Claus as an analogy because we all know that's just made up.

Kids are taught to believe in Santa by parents that don't believe. They mislead children for a purpose. Unless they lose sight of their purpose, I don't have a problem with it. I think the Santa stuff should be preserved and used as a teaching tool, among other things. Ideally, we'd all agree to not ruin it for kids by letting them in on the secret, that Santa isn't real. They can't learn the lesson unless they are fooled for several years. Seeing through the deception is an important life lesson, if you let it be.

Religion can be used to teach lessons using fiction, but people generally believe that the fiction is true. They have faith that it's true. At that point religion becomes something extremely dangerous. Any benefits become overshadowed by the damage it causes.
Lab28

Anaheim, CA

#759399 Jul 18, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
So the core here is that you are incapable of dealing with the fact that your religion, like every other religion, is learned via enculturation and is a subjective reality not an objective one. And, yes, all atheists also experience a subjective and not objective reality.
You're joking right? You really don't understand that you just said everyone is wrong but us.

My point is that the argument of "there are so many religions out there how are you sure yours is right?" Comes with the implication that they are all wrong, or as you put it "subjective realities." Which is self-refuting because at the same time you are saying "I have recognized them all as being subjective realities, therefore I'm right." Even better than that, you are seeing the truth. The ultimate wisdom! You are above the fray on this one!

Hence, my belief is right, all others are wrong. That's exactly what you're saying while at the same time asking me: "with so many religions out there, how can you be so sure yours is right?"

Do you really want my answer on why my "subjective reality" is the true one? I really don't want to give it now that you've basically told me you see anything having to do with the supernatural as primal. It obviously won't do me or you any good.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#759400 Jul 18, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> I to know lawyers.
scores, literally .
and I can tell you they're all snakes..
most I know are crooked..
most being the key word..
You're writing to a man - a lawyer - who travels the world to uphold the rights of the poor and disenfranchised.

It was lawyers who pushed abolition through the English system, and lawyers who ended slavery for tens of thousands of people.

Some stable somewhere

#759401 Jul 18, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Satan is the only deity in the Christina Pantheon that has any power. One could easily argue that Satan is the ONLY "God" of Christianity.
If such beings were real I would side with Satan, he seems much nicer, honest and trustworthy than YHWY.
hahaha, that's hilarious!

I wonder if that's why I'm more against the belief of Satan than Jehovah - it seems even sillier to me. But they must amount to the same thing.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#759402 Jul 18, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
It's amazing LB is still around. Usually s/he runs away after taking such a thrashing.
Thanks, Scar :)
Much like you have done in the past.

Some stable somewhere

#759403 Jul 18, 2014
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're joking right? You really don't understand that you just said everyone is wrong but us.
My point is that the argument of "there are so many religions out there how are you sure yours is right?" Comes with the implication that they are all wrong, or as you put it "subjective realities." Which is self-refuting because at the same time you are saying "I have recognized them all as being subjective realities, therefore I'm right." Even better than that, you are seeing the truth. The ultimate wisdom! You are above the fray on this one!
Hence, my belief is right, all others are wrong. That's exactly what you're saying while at the same time asking me: "with so many religions out there, how can you be so sure yours is right?"
Do you really want my answer on why my "subjective reality" is the true one? I really don't want to give it now that you've basically told me you see anything having to do with the supernatural as primal. It obviously won't do me or you any good.
Ok, I give up. I'm going to argue the point that you think I am arguing so that you can see the difference in my wording. Ok? Ready? Please keep in mind, this is NOT the argument I am making but the argument you tell me I am making:

Atheists are logical and have the only objective position. Atheists know, because science shows us directly, what you are unable to know b/c of the blinders from religion. We have direct access to reality as it is. Our brains cease to function like human brains and plug directly into the universe, giving us special knowledge that no one else but atheists can acquire.

Location hidden

#759404 Jul 18, 2014
River Tam wrote:
I must disagree with Carlos. I fear nothing and I don't think I'm a complete idiot.
Fear is the mind killer, and a path to the dark side.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min Just Think 646,791
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 9 min Buck Crick 49,251
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 13 min ChristineM 445,736
Jesus and Muhammad were FRAUDS 59 min Truthiness 26
Love or money 1 hr Truthiness 2
Just HOW angry is Satan??? 1 hr Truthiness 12
Choosing the best candidate 1 hr Kamal Hussain 10
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 4 hr Annaleigh 105,649
topix drops human sexuality forum.......this be... 12 hr taylorr 25
More from around the web