#759419 Jul 18, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>And gravy?
I say yes.

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#759420 Jul 18, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Ok, as Catcher would say, "off to the gym." Except for me, it's off to the shower, then the 100 yen store to get beer bottling supplies and tape, then housework, then bottling beer while drinking beer and picking up a friend - fellow anthropologist is visiting - and have interesting discussions while making fun of ... no, not theists, but other anthropologists.
Seeeeee youuuuuuuuuu
You bottle beer?
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#759421 Jul 18, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I must disagree with Carlos. I fear nothing and I don't think I'm a complete idiot.
You're encircled by a gang of Hell's Angels, each twirling a chain. No fear?

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#759422 Jul 18, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for correcting me on your minimum standards for what would constitute a deity. Your position is reasonable.
I'm sure you will pardon me if I do not find such creatures likely - and, I will continue to take the more extreme view that such things simply don't exist and cannot exist, based on what we know of humans.
I know that my views are not supportable from a "prove/disprove" point of view - and your position is tenable - but I believe all evidence about human evolution, cognition and experience strongly suggest that such things are impossible. Ergo, parsimony, no deities.
Well, I suspect that anybody that could create this type of hologram...

http://www.nature.com/news/simulations-back-u...

...would be considered a god for all intents and purposes. God's "substance" (exotic matter), could be as different from our own as you are from lightning.

Funny, but the "mama's got a squeeze box" tune is romping through my mind now. Those darn, dirty oscillators!

Location hidden

#759423 Jul 18, 2014

Location hidden

#759424 Jul 18, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Gods don't merely travel between universes. They create them. If no such creatures exist, then there are no gods.
Do tell.

http://www.nature.com/news/simulations-back-u...

A reasonable person does not expect God to live inside the petri dish with them.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#759425 Jul 18, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Try as I might, I cannot give you the sum of my investigations into humanity via the disciplines of psych (evo, neuro), anth (bio, evo, cultural), biology and history. Given that I'm basing my position on the findings in social science, science and history, I think it's fair to say my position is an intellectual one.
And I am being completely honest when I write "there are no deities." It is precisely as if I am writing "I do not believe in deities" because I, with all my heart and understanding, believe that there are no deities. I am not being dishonest here, covering up my secret beliefs or lying - the above is what I think or what I "know."
I further believe that our science and social science demonstrate beyond any doubt that deities are all human inventions.
Just the cross-cultural evidence alone is compelling enough to conclude that. Hence, not a single believer here has ever been able to answer the "why your deity and not anyone else's" problem, and the "other believers of other religions "know" just as much as you do that their religion is true" and the, perhaps more damning reality that some cultures do not have deities (most South American ones, and many hunter-gatherers) and some do not even have sorcery or spirits, and some do not accept an afterlife.
Clearly, your religion - like any and all religions - are not human universals. The concepts you accept as normal and natural are foreign to many peoples.
And the whole Satan thing is silly and infantile. I don't know why I see that as worse than belief in your main deity. After all they amount to the same thing, but it just seems sillier.
Great post....thanks

Location hidden

#759426 Jul 18, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
hell and her associates are both litterally and figuratively under the sole of a believers foot;-)
Lulu has been reading too many silly novels. "Forged in hell"....that's funny.

Location hidden

#759427 Jul 18, 2014
mamas got a squeeze box

:) couldn't resist

“What game?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#759428 Jul 18, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
You're encircled by a gang of Hell's Angels, each twirling a chain. No fear?
Not sure. I can't read minds.

;-)

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#759429 Jul 18, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG Mac. Again?!?
From dictionary.com :
1. A reptile of the order Serpentes; a snake.
2. often Serpent
a. In the Bible, the creature that tempted Eve.
b. Satan.
3. A subtle, sly, or treacherous person.
4. A firework that writhes while burning.
5. Music A deep-voiced wind instrument of serpentine shape, used principally from the 17th to 19th century, about 2.5 meters (8 feet) in length and made of brass or wood.
6. Serpent Serpens.
---
Now you have examples, let's hope you don't feel the need to ask again.
Not all serpents are snakes.
So, "Serpentes" means "snakes".

We knew that.

Perhaps you didn't read my question carefully: which species of serpent is not a snake?

Evolution is true.....

#759430 Jul 18, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not in the Constitution, separation between church and state. Neither is separation of church and state.
That was in a letter from Jefferson to the Danbury Baptists in 1802.
Care to know why? C'mon, don't be scared.
Hmmmm....GW2 in disguise?

Evolution is true.....

#759431 Jul 18, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
My reaction to Hiding's post was very different.
I can't imagine a sane teenager believing in the devil.
It's not a sophomoric belief; it's infantile. I'd draw the line at age eight.
But why don't we take a poll. Let's hear who on this thread thinks, or "knows", there's actually a devil, a Satan, currently in "existence".
Obviously, I'd like to hear from believers.
Any of you think there's a Satan?
How can there be a "Satan" when we know there is no "God?"

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#759432 Jul 18, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>So, "Serpentes" means "snakes".
We knew that.
Perhaps you didn't read my question carefully: which species of serpent is not a snake?
All the imaginary ones, dragons and talking ones , then there's the ones in Riddick 2013 , the Chinese ones and assorted others.

Location hidden

#759433 Jul 18, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
<quoted text>
Your claim that "Cubans and Haitians are considered asylees" is incorrect, if they enter the country illegally, they are considered illegal aliens. If they want to be asylees, they have to apply for asylum.
Mexican nationals can apply for asylum , too. They generally don't get it because of the amount of illegal Mexicans in the US, the judges and asylum officers are skeptical of their honesty.
Gee, I wonder why Canada doesn't take them seriously when they try to claim asylum there "after" they've gone through the U.S. to get "there"? The point *being* that they could have stopped anywhere in the U.S and been treated better than a legal citizen. They don't want to assimilate, they want to dominate. Even after living here for one or two decades they will still refer to Mexico as "my country" instead of the one that they suck dry of social services. There's a reason why California has had terrible economic problems in spite of all the jobs available there. It's called "illegal immigrants".

Location hidden

#759434 Jul 18, 2014
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
How can there be a "Satan" when we know there is no "God?"
You, Just as anyone doesn't know there's not a " God "
You " believe " there's no " God "
There's more proof for one than there's proof of their not being one..

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#759435 Jul 18, 2014
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, how do I know my religion is right where others are wrong. There are a bunch of key arguments for evidence of Christianity. Note I didn't say religion, I said Christianity. These are personal to me. I could reference a book I read about it, but I'm going to tell you the things that make me believe the things I do.
One is nifty little prophecies, you're going to laugh at this but one of the biggest things to convince me is actually in Genesis 16.
“You are now pregnant
and you will give birth to a son.
You shall name him Ishmael,[a]
for the Lord has heard of your misery.
12 He will be a wild donkey of a man;
his hand will be against everyone
and everyone’s hand against him,
and he will live in hostility
toward[b] all his brothers.”
Ishmael is the grandaddy of Islam, while Isaac is with Judaism. It's funny that the word brother is plural right? What other brother could the angel of the Lord possibly be referring to? Keep in mind also this is the OT and this stuff was being passed down way before Mohammed was even born.
Another one, well the poor! Jesus said the poor will always be among us. And Christianity is still the number one go to religion of the poor.
I asked you how poverty disproves God because being around poverty for as long as I have has revealed many things about the character of God to me. The most glaring thing being that Christ sets people free regardless of circumstance. That's another reason I believe.
I wish you would watch that documentary. It's secular, it isn't about religion. But the many practices that boost your happiness index are things that good church going folk do anyways, long before neuroscience.
The biggest most glaring thing is consistent philosophy. I am holy and blameless in the sight of God but not for anything I've done. This ought to make me confidently humble.(Most of the time it makes me arrogant, but whatever.) And in light of this how could I not want to give up the fancy fleeting things that this world has to offer that will end up failing me anyways in pursuit of something beautiful and eternal.
Don't think for a second that I don't know that this isn't foolish and passionate. Without reason or comprehension, blind faith walking ridiculousness. But it is more true than any "subjective reality."
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.-1 Corinthians 1:18
You convinced me that you're a Christian, for sure.

Uhm, why is that anything but subjective reality?

All cultures have their miracles and prophecies and fulfilled prophecies. The Oracle of Apollo at Delphi famously prophesied all kinds of outcomes - but no one gives a poop about Apollo anymore. You can read about them here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famous_Oracular_...

Buddhism has a ton of miracles - every temple has some miracle describing why they chose that location, some tell of how their deity appeared with multiple witnesses attesting to it. And prophecies - lots. Most fulfilled.

So, yeah, you demonstrating what it is to be a believer. The above constitutes evidence for you. It doesn't for an outside observer, sorry. Just as you don't believe the miracles of, say, Buddhism, non-Christians don't accept the claims you make as "true."

Location hidden

#759436 Jul 18, 2014

Location hidden

#759437 Jul 18, 2014
Right, poor Ortega...

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html...

...he claims mama Liberty is giving him the stink eye for being on the teat too long, i.e., he found out Canada's changing its policy to please the U.N. and will pay for his legal fees too. How convenient, that, and their social services will pay his baby momma a bigger welfare check than the U.S. Once a mooch always a mooch.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Letter: DNC accept responsibility 1 min PoliciaFederal 42
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min New Age Spiritual... 667,755
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 5 min Rider on the Storm 92,611
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Student 46,035
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr Rider on the Storm 183,621
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 hr onemales son 286,022
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 6 hr dolarsbill 19,322
More from around the web