Prove there's a god.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#759495 Jul 19, 2014
curiouslu wrote:
So true. So much damage.

A study published in the July issue of Cognitive Science determined that children who are not exposed to religious stories are better able to tell that characters in “fantastical stories” are fictional whereas children raised in a religious environment even “approach unfamiliar, fantastical stories flexibly.”

In “Judgments About Fact and Fiction by Children From Religious and Nonreligious Backgrounds,” Kathleen Corriveau, Eva Chen, and Paul Harris demonstrate that children typically have a “sensitivity to the implausible or magical elements in a narrative,” and can determine whether the characters in the narrative are real or fictional by references to fantastical elements within the narrative, such as “invisible sails” or “a sword that protects you from danger every time.”

However, children raised in households in which religious narratives are frequently encountered do not treat those narratives with the same skepticism. The authors believed that these children would “think of them as akin to fairy tales,” judging “the events described in them as implausible or magical and conclude that the protagonists in such narratives are only pretend.”

And yet,”this prediction is likely to be wrong,” because “with appropriate testimony from adults” in religious households, children “will conceive of the protagonist in such narratives as a real person “even if the narrative includes impossible events.”

The researchers took 66 children between the ages of five and six and asked them questions about stories “” some of which were drawn from fairy tales, others from the Old Testament “” in order to determine whether the children believed the characters in them were real or fictional.

“Children with exposure to religion “” via church attendance, parochial schooling, or both “” judged [characters in religious stories] to be real,”the authors wrote.”By contrast, children with no such exposure judged them to be pretend,” just as they had the characters in fairy tales. But children with exposure to religion judged many characters in fantastical, but not explicitly religious stories, to also be real “” the equivalent of being incapable of differentiating between Mark Twain's character Tom Sawyer and an account of George Washington's life.

This conclusion contradicts previous studies in which children were said to be “born believers,” i.e. that they possessed “a natural credulity toward extraordinary beings with superhuman powers. Indeed, secular children responded to religious stories in much the same way as they responded to fantastical stories “” they judged the protagonist to be pretend.”

The researchers also determined that “religious teaching, especially exposure to miracle stories, leads children to a more generic receptivity toward the impossible, that is, a more wide-ranging acceptance that the impossible can happen in defiance of ordinary causal relations.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/07/18/researc...
Thanks for that.

It's not hard to see how that kind of disconnect from reality can have a lasting detrimental impact on a life. It's also further evidence that inculcating unwitting children with religion should be considered child abuse. If you can't convince them as mature, critical thinkers, you shouldn't be allowed to when they're defenseless intellectually.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#759500 Jul 19, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for that.

It's not hard to see how that kind of disconnect from reality can have a lasting detrimental impact on a life. It's also further evidence that inculcating unwitting children with religion should be considered child abuse. If you can't convince them as mature, critical thinkers, you shouldn't be allowed to when they're defenseless intellectually.
I agree completely.

http://youtu.be/qs35t2xFqdU

This song talks about society in general but it can easily be applied to religion and considering that the majority of the youth in our time now prefer to live in a world of drug addled fantasy, I don't think your views can be discounted. I also seem to hold similar views as far as cognitive dissonance goes and have observed myself living in it.

I have no respect for religion at all.

Have you seen this movie?

http://youtu.be/raleKODYeg0

*shudders*

Location hidden

#759501 Jul 19, 2014
VIKING wrote:
<quoted text>Stop hitting on me.......I'm happily married

Stop that
*see? unable to distinguish fantasy from reality*

{vomits in own mouth}

Location hidden

#759505 Jul 19, 2014
VIKING wrote:
<quoted text>I think it is YOU that loves me.

Now cut it out or I'll give Nurse Ratched your whereabouts.
I love all my sons, even fictional quasi adopted ones such as yourself and I understand that your real mumsy is a skeleton on a rocking chair now but I'm really not a pedophile.

I do find you to be very amusing though, haha. So don't cry too much. M'kay?

http://i.imgur.com/o1GaDdr.jpg

There's a good little Viking.

Location hidden

#759510 Jul 19, 2014
VIKING wrote:
<quoted text>Riiiiiiiight........Ri iiiiiiiiiight......you love all your sons........all four of them.......but of course...of course......the only problem is you're on this thread more than Oxygen and probably don't have time to have 4 parakeets let alone 4 sons

Yeah okay.......if you have 4 sons I'm Mrs. Buzz Aldren
I can see that being rejected puts you into a repeat sequence malfunction, which is boring. Yawn.

I'm sorry for your troubles Mrs Aldren but I'm not into women in a more than friends way, either.

http://i.imgur.com/qS7P6US.jpg

Fennario

#759512 Jul 19, 2014
KENTUCKY wrote:
I HAVE QUESTIONS FOR YOU !
And I will try to answer them, even though you ignored mine.
KENTUCKY wrote:
Do you often provide links that destroy your arguments of Religious bigotry, bias and intolerance ? Was it intellectual laziness to frantically search, in a half azzed manner, while not reading the links PROVIDED BY YOU, in a feeble attempt to rewrite history and the positive things Catholics have done ? Did you even bother to read the links ? or are you so set in your ways that key components of your allegations escape your comprehension ?
My links contradicted your assertions. You made bold claims that simply aren't justified.
KENTUCKY wrote:
With 5500 hospitals, 18,000 clinics do you honestly think there is no research going on ?
That wasn't my claim. I was merely challenging yours, which was that the Catholic church "remains the SINGLE GREATEST private provider in medical care and research IN THE WORLD"

Incidentally, that isn't charitable work. It's big business.

"Christians run 637 hospitals in America to portray a positive image and make billions of dollars in profit."
http://exposingreligionblog.tumblr.com/post/1...

I didn't see any mention of research there. And why would we? It's not profitable unless done to develop proprietary devices and medications..

Location hidden

#759513 Jul 19, 2014
VIKING wrote:
<quoted text>That's the 4th time you call me a Bi*CH....I realize you sexually pine for me and desperately wish I were your BIT*H but that distinct privilege and high honor belongs to my wife.

Maybe in the next life, you horny two-balled Dominatrix you.
Stop fantasising about my balls, it might upset your unfortunate wife. Bitch.

Fennario

#759514 Jul 19, 2014
KENTUCKY wrote:
Are you sure you a retired doctor ?
You're getting dangerously close to lightbeamrider and Joyless' gutter of personal attack. Do you really want to go there?
KENTUCKY wrote:
Did you know about the rampant child sex operations going on in Mexico b4 you moved there ?
No.
KENTUCKY wrote:
if so, what are doing about it ?
Nothing. What do you recommend I do? Maybe I can try a dew of the things you're doing about sexual crimes committed against American children. I assume that you've at least ceased giving money to the Catholic church.

Have you seen this? "Billions of dollars that are donated to churches are used to defend pedophile priests and settle lawsuits for their child raping habits."
http://exposingreligionblog.tumblr.com/post/1...

Fennario

#759515 Jul 19, 2014
KENTUCKY wrote:
Do you agree with the RCC's stance on Mid East wars ?
Don't know it. Should I? Is it different than it was during the Crusades? If so, did it make a positive difference this time?

I searched the Internet and didn't find a single citation discussing the subject. Could you direct me to something relevant NOT produced by Christians? Any actual facts should be available from both Christian and secular resources.

Please forgive my skepticism, but I've found that material found on apologetics sites tends to be exaggerated, like whatever sources taught you the things you claimed here about the Catholic contribution to health care.
KENTUCKY wrote:
Most importantly. Does it hurt hurt when you talk out your azz ?
You made exaggerated claims for your church that you are unable to defend, such as "It was the Catholics who gave rise to systematic nursing and hospitals." I put them in a more proper perspective. The facts appear to be that the Catholic church was involved to varying degrees at various times in those areas, but not that it created the hospital system or the nursing system.

Fennario

#759517 Jul 19, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Puh-leeease. She is a vile, mindless, and passive-aggressive birdbrain.
KENTUCKY wrote:
More sympathy from the intolerant.
She lost my sympathy when she belly flopped into lightbeamrider's gutter. And your repeated references to what you think about me are drawing you closer.

I realize that you are more into asking questions than answering them, but please tell me what you think intolerance means in this context, and what duty you think that I have to such a person. You seem to think that I owe her more.

Location hidden

#759518 Jul 19, 2014
VIKING wrote:
<quoted text>Not by YOU. You give me more air time than anybody......except maybe ODOR MYRA AND ROY WINKLE......Must be a K*NT UNDER thing
Did it ever occur to you that it might be a "wow, new species of cockroach" case study, thing?

You're also very helpful to us and I happen to be a jackass whisperer. Somebody's gotta do it.

Praise jesus for your precious heart.

There there, you matter. Fret not.

http://i.imgur.com/GUXZLHK.jpg

Fennario

#759522 Jul 19, 2014
KENTUCKY wrote:
More sympatico from the exiled Gingo.
Boom! Face down you go into the gutter. You disappoint, but don't surprise.

This is the expression of your welling anger and frustration, which indicates your psychological state after trading ideas about your church. Sorry, but it was your choice to defend the indefensible.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#759523 Jul 19, 2014
VIKING wrote:
<quoted text>
Shut up you overwhelming freak; you make as much sense as a drunk Archie Bunker.
Yeah , that big red nose of yours is a real honker.

Location hidden

#759524 Jul 19, 2014
VIKING wrote:
<quoted text>There you go again. Here, let me help you out so your fantasy becomes a little more real when you dream about me being your Bit*h

6 foot 4......225......Alabaster/Rubi cund complexion...... Athletic build........Soul-penetrating Blue Eyes (like the actor who played the killer in the first Saw movie) Broad Shoulder and Blonde hair parted in the middle

Knock yourself out Mumsy
All that and the brain of a jelly fish, such a terrible waste.

Go read some books, girl.

Courtesy of Rebel Circus:

http://i.imgur.com/dOdcFz2.jpg

You're welcome.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#759526 Jul 19, 2014
VIKING wrote:
<quoted text>
You DO realize I occupy more space between your ears than your brain does.......you DO realize that right?
You do realize your fantasy is bleeding into reality, and you have no idea which is which.

Location hidden

#759528 Jul 19, 2014
VIKING wrote:
<quoted text>You sound pretty bitter and upset.

Did you take your Seroquel?
*again, it's plain to see the effects of religion on reality perception*

I do believe you are projecting again, subjectively.

Does Seroquel really work for you? I'm thinking not, perhaps a warm glass of milk and a little nap might be more adequate?

Location hidden

#759530 Jul 19, 2014
VIKING wrote:
<quoted text>Which compared to yours makes me a mental giant.

So long Royce.

And please stop stalking me.

Let's have a liitle self respect huh?
Is the "wife" driving herself then?

Probably safer.

http://i.imgur.com/TvNRa8K.jpg

Fennario

#759531 Jul 19, 2014
KENTUCKY wrote:
MORE CATHOLIC CONTRIBUTIONS TO SCIENCE
http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/features/2011...
There is a difference between a Catholic and Catholicism. No part of Christianity has contributed to science or its method. When Christians do good science, they are using secular methods and principles, namely, rational skepticism and empiricism. As soon as the process is contaminated by faith or bibles, it becomes junk science.

From your link:

"At a recent debate, broadcast worldwide by the BBC, over 87 per cent of the audience rejected the notion that the Catholic Church is a force for good in the world. Although the defenders of the Church were confronted by two masters of rhetoric, there is little doubt that the vote reflected a shift in attitudes towards Christianity in general and the Catholic faith in particular. To put this shift in blunt terms, whereas we were regarded recently as nice but naïve, today we are increasingly regarded as evil.

As a result, teaching the faith and defending Christian ethics has become much more difficult."

No kidding. You're finding that out yourself, aren't you?

"To address this challenge at its root, I believe it is vital that we remind ourselves of the extent to which the Catholic faith is a force for good in the world."

No, you need to convince us if you wish to address that challenge, and "WE CATHOLICS DONT GIVE A RATS AZZ IF YOU LIKE US OR NOT ! " won't do.

"Jesus said:“You will know them by their fruits.”

Can't argue that one.

I didn't see anything in that article to cause me to think that Christianity has any good ideas at all. Christians may have good ideas, but they don't come from their bibles. They come from such things as human curiosity, applying reason to evidence, and the creative faculties.

Now let me guess: You feel that you have the right to promote your religion, but that I don't have the right to express the opposite opinion, and that if I do, you have the right to try to demean my character. Is that pretty close?

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#759532 Jul 19, 2014
curiouslu wrote:
<quoted text>
Is the "wife" driving herself then?
Probably safer.
http://i.imgur.com/TvNRa8K.jpg
Troll

:-)

You've come a long way, Lucy.

I'm proud of you.

Fennario

#759533 Jul 19, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
In all ages hypocrites, called priests, have put crowns on the heads of thieves, called kings.— Robert Green Ingersoll
Agreed. The Christian bible is hostile to individual political freedom and democracy. It advocates for obedience to a monarch, and with it, the concentration of wealth, power, and privilege.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 3 min Bobby Bobson 30,697
Popcorn time for movies and shows using VPN 1 hr clayvligon 2
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 hr guest 687,171
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 4 hr LAWEST100 184,840
Anthony Bragg 6 hr Oic yes 28
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 7 hr Anonymous 286,539
Clinton Foundation Scandals 9 hr Hiddn Numbrz 2
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 21 hr Here For Now 619,788
More from around the web