Prove there's a god.

Since: Sep 10

Manhattan Beach, CA

#759370 Jul 18, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
<quoted text>
Then, like you told me about biology and genetics, don't post stuff as fact if you're not really sure about it.
Part of the First Amendment says:
"Congress shall make no law respecting and establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."
Notice there are no words "separation," "church," or "state" found there.
There are discussions recorded in the Congressional Records, one if those discussions, recorded in 1799, was:
"We do not want in America what we had in Great Britain: we don’t want one denomination running the nation. We will not all be Catholics, or Anglicans, or any other single denomination. We do want God’s principles, but we don’t want one denomination running the nation."
...and...
"By our form of government, the Christian religion is the established religion; and all sects and denominations of Christians are placed on the same equal footing."
In 1802, there was a church called the Danbury Baptist Association based in Danbury, Connecticut. They heard rumors that other Christian denominations might become a "national denomination" so they wrote a letter to Jefferson, the current POTUS, about it. Of course they didn't want that. Jefferson wrote them back telling them that is not going to happen, he told them that "the First Amendment has erected a wall of separation between church and state."
And that laid dormant for many years. Nowadays all you hear is "separation of church and state", out of context or explanation as of it's part of the Constitution.
Hey, you're the one who believes in Satan.

It's probably his doing.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#759371 Jul 18, 2014
I'm out y'all.

Have yourselves a great day/night/evening with blessings of love and kindness and butterflies on dandelions and shit.

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#759372 Jul 18, 2014
VIKING wrote:
<quoted text>
TRANSLATION: I'm far too stupid to understand ANYTHING Viking writes.
Translation: Only Viking has the demented mind and the secret Viking decoder ring.

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#759373 Jul 18, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what's so strange, and where we differ. I can't imagine a sane person *not* believing that Satan exists.
Does he go by the name Viking?

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#759374 Jul 18, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
I'm out y'all.
Have yourselves a great day/night/evening with blessings of love and kindness and butterflies on dandelions and shit.
So you don't want those naked pics?

Ok, have a good sleep with the butterflies dandelions and shit.

Some stable somewhere

#759375 Jul 18, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, you're the one who believes in Satan.
It's probably his doing.
Satan loves you this I know, for the devil tells me so.

Manhattan Beach, CA

#759377 Jul 18, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm. I think I see your point.
I'm thinking of HFY (shocking, I know), and how she was never introduced to Christianity as a child like I was - which created a person seeing Christianity as something like "simply ridiculous" (my words, not hers, but I'm sure she'd agree).
In the same way, I was never taught Santa stuff as a kid and as such have always seen belief in Santa as "simply ridiculous" and can't understand why ANY parent would lie to their kids like that.
Is that how some of you see religion? That question is for all atheists here, not just Tide.
Yep.

But the Santa thing, in my view, is fine for little kids.

They live in world of fantasy. They can truly believe they have an invisible friend sitting next to them on the bus.

But ferchrissakes, adults have to get over this sort of stuff.

Or become laughingstocks, at least in the world I live in.

Manhattan Beach, CA

#759378 Jul 18, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
I'm out y'all.
On your last suggestion: There's actually a book by a Japanese author, for children, titled Everyone Poops.

She also wrote The Holes In Your Nose.

Some stable somewhere

#759379 Jul 18, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm. I think I see your point.
I'm thinking of HFY (shocking, I know), and how she was never introduced to Christianity as a child like I was - which created a person seeing Christianity as something like "simply ridiculous" (my words, not hers, but I'm sure she'd agree).
In the same way, I was never taught Santa stuff as a kid and as such have always seen belief in Santa as "simply ridiculous" and can't understand why ANY parent would lie to their kids like that.
Is that how some of you see religion? That question is for all atheists here, not just Tide.
RR, PQ, I think you're the first Christian here to reach into the mystery and horror and delight that is the atheist mind.

<dark music, heavy with bass>

Will PQ come out mad??? Or will PQ find deeper understanding???

On the next "Prove there's a God."

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#759380 Jul 18, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Mine?
Hey, I'm happy as a...snake, or a serpent, or a satanic being.
As are most lawyers..

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#759381 Jul 18, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
That's what's so strange, and where we differ. I can't imagine a sane person *not* believing that Satan exists.
I don't believe you.

I think you can imagine a sane person not believing in Satan.

I think you avoid imagining it. I think it causes too many uncomfortable realizations.

You've just said that I'm insane for not believing in Satan.

You've just said that all people who do not believe in Satan are not sane. You can't even imagine that they could be.

So no, I don't believe you.

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#759382 Jul 18, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
RR, PQ, I think you're the first Christian here to reach into the mystery and horror and delight that is the atheist mind.
<dark music, heavy with bass>
Will PQ come out mad??? Or will PQ find deeper understanding???
On the next "Prove there's a God."

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#759383 Jul 18, 2014

“What game?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#759384 Jul 18, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
“Don't be afraid of being scared. To be afraid is a sign of common sense. Only complete idiots are not afraid of anything.”
&#8213; Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Angel's Game
I must disagree with Carlos. I fear nothing and I don't think I'm a complete idiot.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#759385 Jul 18, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Try as I might, I cannot give you the sum of my investigations into humanity via the disciplines of psych (evo, neuro), anth (bio, evo, cultural), biology and history. Given that I'm basing my position on the findings in social science, science and history, I think it's fair to say my position is an intellectual one.
And I am being completely honest when I write "there are no deities." It is precisely as if I am writing "I do not believe in deities" because I, with all my heart and understanding, believe that there are no deities. I am not being dishonest here, covering up my secret beliefs or lying - the above is what I think or what I "know."
I further believe that our science and social science demonstrate beyond any doubt that deities are all human inventions.
Just the cross-cultural evidence alone is compelling enough to conclude that. Hence, not a single believer here has ever been able to answer the "why your deity and not anyone else's" problem, and the "other believers of other religions "know" just as much as you do that their religion is true" and the, perhaps more damning reality that some cultures do not have deities (most South American ones, and many hunter-gatherers) and some do not even have sorcery or spirits, and some do not accept an afterlife.
Clearly, your religion - like any and all religions - are not human universals. The concepts you accept as normal and natural are foreign to many peoples.
And the whole Satan thing is silly and infantile. I don't know why I see that as worse than belief in your main deity. After all they amount to the same thing, but it just seems sillier.
I agree completely.

Manhattan Beach, CA

#759386 Jul 18, 2014
dirty white boy- wrote:
<quoted text> As are most lawyers..
That's not the case.

I know a lot of lawyers.

Scores, literally.

And I can tell you that there are happy lawyers and there are unhappy lawyers.

Same as with any other trade and profession.
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Wheatley, Canada

#759387 Jul 18, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
<quoted text>
To an atheist Satan is about the same as Santa clause

Manhattan Beach, CA

#759388 Jul 18, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I must disagree with Carlos. I fear nothing and I don't think I'm a complete idiot.
Well, you're special, River.

But what I think he means is that discretion is the better part of valor.

Or, as Dave would say, or something like that.

BTW, this is the first time I've seen him referred to as Carlos.

Location hidden

#759389 Jul 18, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
On your last suggestion: There's actually a book by a Japanese author, for children, titled Everyone Poops.
She also wrote The Holes In Your Nose.
let me ask you catch. I am thinking about taking a cruise this fall and with me being a convicted felon, would I be able to travel w/out felony checks, like say to Jamaica ?

Location hidden

#759390 Jul 18, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not the case.
I know a lot of lawyers.
Scores, literally.
And I can tell you that there are happy lawyers and there are unhappy lawyers.
Same as with any other trade and profession.
I to know lawyers.
scores, literally .
and I can tell you they're all snakes..
most I know are crooked..
most being the key word..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min truth 667,986
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 10 min truth 183,654
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr AussieBobby 46,044
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 hr MUQ2 92,793
Witches and Warlocks will burn in Hell ! (Oct '11) 1 hr Paige 26
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 hr UIDIOTRACEMAKEWOR... 619,238
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 6 hr onemale 286,102
More from around the web