Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Manhattan Beach, CA

#759336 Jul 18, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Hence the anger.
Mine?

Hey, I'm happy as a...snake, or a serpent, or a satanic being.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#759337 Jul 18, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
It's not a loophole. It's part of the IRS code being used as intended.
Churches get a rubber stamp. That's not a loophole either. It's just wrong.
Ok, agreed it's not a loophole.

Why should organizations like the FFRF get tax exempt status but not churches?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#759338 Jul 18, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
RR...PQ...Satan, my lord and master, is not real. You're a grown man! You cannot, in any kind of seriousness, believe in the devil. The beast. Abaddon, accuser, adversary, Antichrist, author of all sin, awful monster, Beelzebub, chief of the demons, deceiver, demon, destroyer, devil, devourer, dragon, enemy, enemy of righteousness, evil one, evil spirit, fallen angel, father of all lies, father of contention, father of lies, founder of murder, Great Antichrist, great dragon, liar from the beginning, Lucifer, Mammon, murderer from the beginning, old serpent, Perdition, prince of darkness, prince of devils, prince of the power of the air, prince of this world, serpent, slanderer, Son of Perdition, Son of the Morning, spoiler, tempter, wicked one, or just "Bob" to me, doesn't exist.
It's cute that you think so. But you're not a teenager anymore.
Here, some music to help you out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =I6n3sZlqrCsXX
https://www.youtube.com/watch...
https://www.youtube.com/watch...
Hmmm....

"You're not a teenager anymore"

"It's 2014 and you still believe in the devil?"

I'm not convinced that those kind of statements mean much of anything except personal opinion, of which should be valued very much, and I value yours. But I will be the better person here and not denigrate you for not believing.

Deal?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#759339 Jul 18, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know what an NGO is? Why they have that status and what they have to go through to get that status?
It's not like they are taking untaxed money and using it for the sole purpose of growing followers, to get more money, to canvas more neighborhoods using that money, to get more followers, to get more money...
Haha yes they are.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#759340 Jul 18, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
What else does "serpent" refer to?
I've answered that question at least a dozen times before and once today.

I know you read it, why are you pretending like you didn't? Why do you want me to answer the same question over and over again?

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#759341 Jul 18, 2014
KENTUCKY wrote:
MORE ON SCIENCE AND MISCONCEPTIONS REGARDING RCC
http://listverse.com/2009/07/13/top-10-miscon...
Your argument for Christian apologetics is WHOLE HEARTILY DENIED.
Well that wraps that up, eh?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#759342 Jul 18, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:

The nonprofit FFRF works to educate the public on matters relating to nontheism, and to promote the constitutional principle of separation between church and state.{SNIP}
That is not in the Constitution, separation between church and state. Neither is separation of church and state.

That was in a letter from Jefferson to the Danbury Baptists in 1802.

Care to know why? C'mon, don't be scared.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#759343 Jul 18, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
RR, PQ, pqrr, prqr, NGOs and NPOs are different than religions.
Yes, I understand that.

A question if I may, what religion gets nonexempt status?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#759344 Jul 18, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:

Checks from Obama! Nice.
Checks..... As in "checking off". Like on a list....

Ugh

No checking off jokes.

And no Chekov jokes.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#759345 Jul 18, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm....
I'm not convinced that those kind of statements mean much of anything except personal opinion, of which should be valued very much, and I value yours. But I will be the better person here and not denigrate you for not believing.
Deal?
You are not going to denigrate me for not believing in Santa?

Ok, be my guest.

Wait, wait, sorry, you meant Satan. hahaha :)

Yes, it's unimaginable to me that a fully grown adult human can harbor such beliefs. I guess it shouldn't be - I've seen adults rub statues of Buddha here thinking that it will help their ailments. And, the films I show to my anth class often have shamans or priests or whatever explaining their silly myths.

Here's the thing: you're a Christian, so these are real to you. But when you look at someone else's strange religious beliefs, you probably experience something akin to what I'm now feeling with you.

For ex, the Yanomami "know" that illness is caused by sorcery. Usually they cure their issues with local plant medicines plus ritual. Foreigners brought them measles, to which they have no medicines. So they end up invoking spirits, singing, engaging in ritual and touching the measles person all over (to push the evil spirits and magic out) and basically spreading the disease around.

Now I "know" that measles is caused by a virus and that their ritualistic behavior isn't going to help and might make the disease spread. So I think they're silly. We just give them a vaccine and it's all good.

Another ex: I was writing poetry once, by the beach, and this Buddhist monk came up to me, asking me to write down his thoughts. I was a bit angry, but did so anyways out of slight interest. At the end of it, he implored me not to sit on the ground because bad spirits would enter my anus and cause me to be sick. I laughed and was glad when he left.

I'm pretty sure you share my amusement at the above beliefs - they're silly, not evidence based, totally made up fictions.

So to with your devil.

Some stable somewhere

#759346 Jul 18, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not in the Constitution, separation between church and state. Neither is separation of church and state.
Your nation's laws aren't all that familiar to me. I was just cut and pasting.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#759347 Jul 18, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Interesting. I'm going to have to read Ingersoll one of these days.
I gotta admit, Ingersoll does have his moments.

"The greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart."

Some stable somewhere

#759348 Jul 18, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I understand that.
A question if I may, what religion gets nonexempt status?
No idea. Which one???

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#759349 Jul 18, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
Freedom From Religion Foundation.
The Foundation is a non-profit, tax-exempt organization. Non-profit status under the Internal Revenue Code, Section 501(c)3...
http://ffrf.org/about/getting-acquainted
---
American Humanist Association.
Non-Profit (503c)
Advocate for progressive values and equality for humanists, atheists, agnostics, and freethinkers
---
North Texas Church of Freethought.
was founded by ... to serve the psychosocial needs of atheists, agnostics, and other non-religious people...
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Texas_Ch...
---
Internet Infidels.
The Secular Web is owned and operated by Internet Infidels Inc., a 501(c)(3) nonprofit educational organization...
http://infidels.org
---
All are non-profit "educational organizations", except for the Church of Freethought (it's an atheist church), that shares all the tax breaks that churches get.
Except they get to be involved in politics, where churches can't.
There is a reason why we (non-Christians and liberals) don't want churches to directly promote political agendas.

It's because there is a difference between, "My name is Bob, and I think you should vote Republican." and "My name is Bob, and I speak for God, and he says you should vote Republican."

It's really a moot point nowadays, because of TV and the Internet. Christians have been successfully captured by the Right. You don't need to promote an idea in the church directly to reach the same people just as effectively, with the techniques and technologies that are available now.

That little rule has not protected us. It's a mooooooot point.

Catcher1

Manhattan Beach, CA

#759350 Jul 18, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm....
Deal?
My reaction to Hiding's post was very different.

I can't imagine a sane teenager believing in the devil.

It's not a sophomoric belief; it's infantile. I'd draw the line at age eight.

But why don't we take a poll. Let's hear who on this thread thinks, or "knows", there's actually a devil, a Satan, currently in "existence".

Obviously, I'd like to hear from believers.

Any of you think there's a Satan?

Catcher1

Manhattan Beach, CA

#759351 Jul 18, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
<quoted text>
“Don't be afraid of being scared. To be afraid is a sign of common sense. Only complete idiots are not afraid of anything.”
&#8213; Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Angel's Game

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#759352 Jul 18, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:

Ok, be my guest.
Yes, it's unimaginable to me that a fully grown adult human can harbor such beliefs. I guess it shouldn't be - I've seen adults rub statues of Buddha here thinking that it will help their ailments. And, the films I show to my anth class often have shamans or priests or whatever explaining their silly myths.
Here's the thing: you're a Christian, so these are real to you. But when you look at someone else's strange religious beliefs, you probably experience something akin to what I'm now feeling with you.
For ex, the Yanomami "know" that illness is caused by sorcery. Usually they cure their issues with local plant medicines plus ritual. Foreigners brought them measles, to which they have no medicines. So they end up invoking spirits, singing, engaging in ritual and touching the measles person all over (to push the evil spirits and magic out) and basically spreading the disease around.
Now I "know" that measles is caused by a virus and that their ritualistic behavior isn't going to help and might make the disease spread. So I think they're silly. We just give them a vaccine and it's all good.
Another ex: I was writing poetry once, by the beach, and this Buddhist monk came up to me, asking me to write down his thoughts. I was a bit angry, but did so anyways out of slight interest. At the end of it, he implored me not to sit on the ground because bad spirits would enter my anus and cause me to be sick. I laughed and was glad when he left.
I'm pretty sure you share my amusement at the above beliefs - they're silly, not evidence based, totally made up fictions.
So to with your devil.
You don't have to believe if you choose not to.

But to outright say "there is no god" as if it's a known fact that all don't know doesn't seem very honest or intellectual.

Some stable somewhere

#759353 Jul 18, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
My reaction to Hiding's post was very different.
I can't imagine a sane teenager believing in the devil.
It's not a sophomoric belief; it's infantile. I'd draw the line at age eight.
But why don't we take a poll. Let's hear who on this thread thinks, or "knows", there's actually a devil, a Satan, currently in "existence".
Obviously, I'd like to hear from believers.
Any of you think there's a Satan?
You're probably right about the age thing.

I concede, counselor, I concede!

Catcher1

Manhattan Beach, CA

#759354 Jul 18, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
<quoted text>
Checks..... As in "checking off". Like on a list....
Ugh
No checking off jokes.
And no Chekov jokes.
And don't jac...never mind.

Catcher1

Manhattan Beach, CA

#759355 Jul 18, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, be my guest.
So to with your devil.
As I have said before, I'm not superstitious.

It brings bad luck.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 4 min Trump Whines 46,034
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 13 min onemale 286,686
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 48 min Michael 691,959
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 2 hr trumpthedotard 6,692
"Can I have a minute..I wanna flee...?!.uh writ... 3 hr Doctor REALITY 1
Jeffreys: Evangelicals will vote for Moore 4 hr Edthirty 3
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 hr Dec 2017 News 619,839
More from around the web