Prove there's a god.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#758342 Jul 16, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
Excellent post, Al. That's a great example of how churches help their communities across the country.
Or maybe it's just a great example of one atypical congregation in one community being of service to its community. You take liberties when you generalize beyond that.

I'd like to see an audit of the church before I passed final judgment on its benevolence.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#758343 Jul 16, 2014

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#758344 Jul 16, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
<quoted text>
If it says miscarriage, it says miscarriage and I'd go along with that. None of the translations I've seen (aside from two posted here) says miscarriage, though. From my perspective, it says premature birth - because "no harm" is done.
HOWEVER, in all honesty and fairness, I've discovered this from a site I use and trust very much, gotquestions.org :
They are discussing abortion in the Bible:
"Exodus 21:22-25 prescribes the same penalty—death—for someone who causes the death of a baby in the womb as for someone who commits murder."
http://www.gotquestions.org/abortion-Bible.ht...
I think they're referring to Exodus 21:23, not Exodus 21:22. What do you think?
ALSO, I've discovered this:
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...
(click on the "[e]" after the word 'prematurely')
My interpretation may have been skewed, maybe not. Who's to say?
Thanks for your honesty. I am quite impressed. You seem to have tapped into something substantial.

I think that the ancient Hebrew really only tells us that the fetus was delivered prematurely without specifying dead or alive. Most such fetuses would die. If one survived, I'm not sure what the fine would be for. As far as I know, people didn't get fined for fighting one another. They were fined to compensate somebody for a loss.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#758345 Jul 16, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
<quoted text>
1. You quote the Bible too, so....
2. Are you assuming that the "Bronze Age yokels" didn't know the difference between a miscarriage and a premature birth?
1 Yes I do quote the babble, to punctuate my points of the lies, hypocrisy and stupidity of the babble.

2 I am assuming based on documented data. From early Egyptian medicine through to the rise of modern medicine little changed in the knowledge of the human body. Christian religion actually made it impossible to advance medical knowledge by offering a slow and painful death to any medical practitioner accused of attempting such heresy. A child was either born or miscarried, at the time considerably more miscarriages and still deaths than live births. There was no understanding of the mechanism so goddunit.

And still some of the translations are ambiguous... Some words do not even have direct translations but guess how many times there are blanks or notation of ‘here be dragons’ in the bible?

#758346 Jul 16, 2014
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
John Wycliff- The first CATHOLIC to translate the Bible into English. The Church gave him a standing ovation for it. Nooooo..... 30 years after wycliff's death, the Council of Constance ended “the three popes’ reign” and elected Alexander V, who immediately denounced Wycliffe as a heretic, had as many of his books burned as could be found on the Continent and in England, excommunicated and consigned to everlasting flames from the moment of his death. In 1428, Pope Martin V had him dug up and burned at the stake. ecause knowledge is power, and the Catholic Church had all of both. For about 1,000 years, the Bible remained well known only to the church officials, clergy of all orders, and an elect few well educated scholars. It was never counter to any Papal Bull for any person to translate the Bible into another language. However, anyone who intended to do so was strongly admonished by the Pope himself. Poor John Wycliff. He was just trying to get the message out to the people.
Galileo- Do we need a lesson of what happened to him?
Jan Hus-he protested about the church using indulgence for money. Catholic Church saw indulgences as a very good way to get rich, and it worked magnificently. Threaten an ignorant person with eternal burning, and he’ll give you some money to feel safe again.This infuriated the Church officials, who promptly sentenced him to death. They refused him the Last Rites and burned him at the stake. Profit before anything I guess.
William Tyndale-Tyndale dedicated his life to translating the Bible into vernacular English, so the laypeople of England could read it for themselves. He was finally caught after some help from a backstabbing friend named Henry Phillips, charged with heresy for no other reason than translating the Bible into English, and strangled, then burned at the stake, on 6 October 1536, in Vilvoorde, outside Brussels. The Catholic Church has never apologized.
The Inquisitions- need we say more?
The Witch Hunts-
Yup.... The Catholic Church did good...
Oh BTW the First University in the World was not Catholic. It was founded by Muslims.
Nicely said, factual and concise

BTW the Inquisition still exists, only the name on the door has changed to “The Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith”
The cardinal who until recently ran the department was promoted to Pope Benedict XVI.

To be fair though the catholic church did apologise to Galileo – more than 300 years after his death

#758347 Jul 16, 2014
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Black Sabbath is cool and all,,, but I really cannot take Ozzy's voice. Got one of the least impressive voices in metal. Compared to Dio, Ozzy loses bad. Compared to the real monster vocalists, like Halford, Ripper, Dickinson, Tate and Cornel, Ozzy loses worse still.
I live here (well 100 miles north) and the brummie accent is pretty poor for sure.

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#758348 Jul 16, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
You are...
Obsess much?

#758349 Jul 16, 2014
dirty white boy- wrote:
<quoted text> Obsess much?
Nope – you?

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#758350 Jul 16, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Ben Adam stupid #2. Ther interpretation is off claiming the pregnant female miscarries and gives birth to a dead baby. Its an idiot interpretation. So F off.
Thank you for proving my point.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#758351 Jul 16, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So mac, are you staying in the US of A?
Long enough to work up the necessary grubstake...

Location hidden

#758352 Jul 16, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope – you?
Nope! Sugar?

#758353 Jul 16, 2014
dirty white boy- wrote:
<quoted text> Nope! Sugar?
There ya go honey, see what happens when you guess?

Location hidden

#758354 Jul 16, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
There ya go honey, see what happens when you guess?
You keep saying that you're not gonna post to me anymore, but there you are every morning..
Just how many chances you gonna give me?
YOU are on the List!

#758355 Jul 16, 2014
dirty white boy- wrote:
<quoted text> You keep saying that you're not gonna post to me anymore, but there you are every morning..
Just how many chances you gonna give me?
YOU are on the List!
I do not say that, I said you have had 2 chances to prove yourself and failed both times. Just because you are a looser does not mean I will not post to you anymore, I enjoy humiliating sick minded dickheads like you. Sh|t I even post to no no no brain on occasion and she has a long time passed any chance she deserves.

It is you who has claimed you would not post to me any more and your obsession got the better of you after just 6 minutes

What list?

Location hidden

#758356 Jul 16, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not say that, I said you have had 2 chances to prove yourself and failed both times. Just because you are a looser does not mean I will not post to you anymore, I enjoy humiliating sick minded dickheads like you. Sh|t I even post to no no no brain on occasion and she has a long time passed any chance she deserves.
It is you who has claimed you would not post to me any more and your obsession got the better of you after just 6 minutes
What list?
I don't have to prove anything to you christian..
The RAT list!
Don't you ever get tired of nano serving you crow?
I have noticed that she serves it well..

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#758357 Jul 16, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Kind of like what Christians still do :)
Exactly, at least some claim the authority.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#758358 Jul 16, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Totally. Well said!
Thanks, Hiding.

#758359 Jul 16, 2014
dirty white boy- wrote:
<quoted text> I don't have to prove anything to you christian..
The RAT list!
Don't you ever get tired of nano serving you crow?
I have noticed that she serves it well..
Then WTF do you consider it clever to prove yourself by posting a youtube page about me? Sounds kind of embarrassing now you have come down a bit eh? Such a pity that you cannot control your emotions when you get stoned, isn’t it?

Yup whatever, you meant the informing on the criminal thief list. You are welcome to condone theft as you choose, you only have your own conscience to appease, as I do with mine and I am happy to thwart criminal intent, how about you?

Don’t know, never seen it happen but your belief is whatever seems to sexually excite you. Personally I think you are better off on your own without brown nosing the no no.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#758360 Jul 16, 2014
scaritual wrote:

Yeah.
You know none of this is about winning. Not for me anyway.
Me neither, brother. Not anymore, anyway. It's about sharing ideas and hopefully learning something new. That's why I stopped debating you about this, there's no reason to.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#758361 Jul 16, 2014
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately I can't. I'm sorry. When a corrupt person or organization exists and even if they do good but they refuse to change their ways and still continue on their destructive path, how in the world is anyone supposed to be ok with it. It's like a neighbor that murdered those people but in between those murders saved my kitty from the tree. I guess he's " not all that bad"
That's not very fair, Al. How can you compare an organization to a person like that?

I see it more like a neighbor that murdered those people but no one else in the community has. I guess they're "not all that bad", just the one bad apple is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Free CLASSIFIEDS | POST UNLIMITED FREE CLASSIFI... (Mar '16) 14 min gina5l 3
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 19 min swampmudd 2,733
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 28 min Bongo 119,228
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 1 hr Paul Scott 6,274
is god black or white? and why? (Oct '08) 3 hr Paul Scott 457
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr kent 679,242
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 4 hr xavier 4,112
More from around the web