Prove there's a god.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#756193 Jul 11, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I live in Florida. I've volunteered for hurricane duty, as prepositioned security, on a number of occasions - I've been through a bunch of hurricanes.
Don't much like 'em.
I always think I'm going to enjoy them - you know, they've kind of lost most of their power by the time they get to Tokyo. So I get my drinks, sit back and enjoy the rain.

Then my cheap wooden house that would be labeled unlivable anywhere but here shakes all night long and I don't get any sleep, am all grumpy the next day, it's hot and human b/c the windows were closed, all my shoes are moldy, and so on.

I mean, obviously that's better than you guys in Florida where hurricanes aren't just a nuisance but can remove entire neighborhoods. Ok, once again I feel like an idiot. Sorry.

Some stable somewhere

#756194 Jul 11, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>So your uncle did you too? Big deal, Creampie.
err...uhm...ah...if...his uncle did him...too...that suggests...ah...well....that you may know the uncle.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#756195 Jul 11, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>Wow now there's a beautiful creature.
Oh yeah.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#756196 Jul 11, 2014
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...
Godspeakinginmydreamslol wrote:
One of the smarter posts here.
Godspeakinginmydreamslol wrote:
I get totally creeped out by public religion. Chruch bells in the night? WTF I want to sleep. Where is my religious freedom? Can I play music so the whole town can hear it at midnight too?
Of course not. Nor could you do it tax free. That's Christian exceptionalism - the idea that somehow, the church is special, and should enjoy special rights.

It's what motivates the claim that there is a War on Christmas because unbelievers advocate a kind of pluralism with "Happy Holidays" that enrages an certain element that want the holiday to be Christian only.

Christian exceptionalism is also what agitates Christians when non-Christians want to give invocations. They think that that right should be reserved for Christians only

"City of Rowlett denying atheists chance to give invocation."
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/2014/07/ci...

And Christian exceptionalism is what motivated this. Apparently, only Christians should enjoy the benefit of tax supported school vouchers:

"Valarie Hodges, Louisiana Lawmaker, Retracts Support For Voucher Program Because Of Muslim School Inclusion "
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/06/vala...

I think that the rest of us have a right and a duty to push back.

I hear (Roman Catholic) church bells every day as well, generally chiming out Ave Maria. I understand your objection, but in my case, I actually like it, since it's a pretty tune, it's about a quarter mile away, and it's in the daytime only. I can also see the church's purple neon cross at night, which I also like.

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#756197 Jul 11, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Now now, that's not especially nice to Christine.
Please apologize.
odd that a woman would call another woman the C word..

Some stable somewhere

#756198 Jul 11, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>But it doesn't bother you at all when IANS and Christine lie.
That wasn't a question.
I have never seen either of them lie.

And, no, if they did, it wouldn't bother me because, you know what? They aren't stopping me in the street with a lie designed to earn my patronage for some deity and totally wasting my time.

In fact, I can't see either of them lying in a fashion that could possibly hurt me. Likewise were you, LB or any of the Christians here to start some strange rumor about me like the one you actually did - about me being a transvestite (waaasssuuup still believes that, hahaha), it doesn't actually upset me.

I, in fact, do not care if people lie here. Go hard. It's your life. If it makes you feel better. It certainly does seem to make you feel better that you think all the other girls on here are trannies. Not sure why...and come to think of it Nano, that's really strange of you. Do you not feel special?

We can try to make you feel special! Yaaaaaaaaaay for Nano! Sticks up against chauvanistic Christians ~ woohooo ~ well done!

Some stable somewhere

#756199 Jul 11, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
Is there a Topix Xhristian that appears human?
Al.

Dreamy, dreamy Al.

Some stable somewhere

#756200 Jul 11, 2014
So, you want to go out with me and get some dinner, maybe a movie later?
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>At this point? Anyone but you.
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

You suck!

Some stable somewhere

#756201 Jul 11, 2014
dirty white boy- wrote:
<quoted text> Thank you and yes I do Rosa..
Front or back?

Some stable somewhere

#756202 Jul 11, 2014
VIKING wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Grammar Nazi...."yoru" is not a word. You silly, self defeating sap.
I beg to differ sir!

yoru means "night" in my language.

:p

Some stable somewhere

#756203 Jul 11, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I think I indicated the answer to that. When the church can no longer affect those uninterested in its opinions.
As long as there are enough Christians left for the church to continue scapegoating and stigmatizing gays and atheists, or to significantly degrade America's scientific literacy, for example, the non-Christian community should continue making the argument.
As I've said before, the church brings this on itself with its incessant meddling in the affairs of non-Christians. It's an unwelcome neighbor.
Don't feel threatened, however. That will be accomplish that peacefully by helping young people understand what Christianity really is and does. As the years pass, believers will be replaced by their skeptical children. No individual Christian's right to worship will be affected ever. You aren't the target. The repulsive and destructive institution that teaches people such destructive things is.
Do you think that we don't have the moral right to do so? We 're doing it peacefully, democratically, by appealing to reason, and by appealing to people's sense of fairness. The church has the opportunity to make its case for itself. Isn't that what unbelievers like me and Christians like you are doing every day on Topix, in the news, and elsewhere?. May the best argument prevail.
Nicely said.

The issue is that Christianity is a dominant religion because it includes the "go forth and be fishers of men" stuff. So they are desperate to make you like them.

We can think of such belief systems as evolutionary stable strategies. In brief, they compete for space in human thinking. It's not just about appealing, but about dynamically changing to the current cultural context and times while being able to outcompete alternative world systems.

ESSs are pretty fascinating - each one does very well at maintaining it's territory (in the human landscape) while expanding into some. For ex., Catholicism changes depending on cultural context - Mayan Catholics sacrifice chickens to God in blood rituals,(some) Polynesian Catholics still use ancestral altars to pray to the deceased - but Protestantism doesn't. Yet Protestantism is less rigid, more open to interpretation, and so spawns sect after sect after sect - both are receding now thanks to 1) increased information and education, 2) increasingly complex world with increasing communication between disparate people., etc.

I found it interesting that the Catholic church reached out to the Anglican church, saying "hey! want back in? our numbers are low..." and the Anglicans were like "huh? No way I'm giving up marriage you crotchety old virgins! Screw off!"

So we're seeing their decline :) but we might need a better ESS to increase that speed - I really think education is the goal. And an analysis of people, how they work, etc. Once you go anthro, you also go atheist.

Some stable somewhere

#756204 Jul 11, 2014
dirty white boy- wrote:
<quoted text> odd that a woman would call another woman the C word..
And she does accuse everyone but herself of being a transvestite...

Location hidden

#756205 Jul 11, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Front or back?
I missed it..

Location hidden

#756206 Jul 11, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
And she does accuse everyone but herself of being a transvestite...
May be some kind of twisted fantasy or something..
A traumatic personal experience like what christine said, would give one a complex and make them Jaded, but towards other women is what's odd to me..

Location hidden

#756208 Jul 11, 2014

Some stable somewhere

#756210 Jul 11, 2014
dirty white boy- wrote:
<quoted text> May be some kind of twisted fantasy or something..
A traumatic personal experience like what christine said, would give one a complex and make them Jaded, but towards other women is what's odd to me..
Ah she just wants to feel special and get all the attention.

I was really hoping that Nano would date Dave. Dave really worshiped her.
gort

Netherlands

#756211 Jul 11, 2014
therefore, we are offering the following special, the gospel and our Hindu hipsters, everything Horus did to prepare the way for Buddha, the boys and james brown called, Mahabharata by Amar Chitra Katha- The Birth of Bhagavad Gita- in our brightly packaged 42 Comic Books in 3 Volumes set.

Fennario

#756212 Jul 11, 2014
dirty white boy- wrote:
Doesn't your admitting that some "Gods" are possible except the Christian "God" make you a hypocrite? Sure it does when you spew shyt out here daily about the Christian "God"..
I don't think so. If you do, please find your favorite dictionary definitions of hypocrite or hypocrisy, post it here, and explain to me how it pertains to that opinion. If given my reasons for forth parts of it. It's the best conclusions I can reach in each case.

Incidentally. if you want to quote me, use a lower case "g" for the word "god" when used in the generic sense. I never refer to the Christian god nor any other gods as "God." I do, however, always capitalize the words "Jehovah," "Yahweh," and "Jesus."
dirty white boy- wrote:
One even admitted to believing In an afterlife and spewed hate at Christians but you accepted "her" solely on her hate for Christians.
I don't know to whom you refer, or what you mean by accepting her. Nor am I interested in hatred for Christians. it's their church that concerns me. The rank and file Christian isn't the perp. S/he's the victim, more so than the rest of us.

And whatever it is you're referring to, please explain how it meets the definition you retrieve for us.
dirty white boy- wrote:
your "hypocrisy" seems to go only so far as to it suiting you and your cause IANS.
These vague allegations without linking to specific examples have to be rejected out of hand. It sounds to me like you are criticizing me for taking only one side of an argument.

Fennario

#756213 Jul 11, 2014
dirty white boy- wrote:
I do see what you're saying about the religious spewing just as much hate as atheist on here, and I do agree that it's fkd up that they act that way and talk about atheists lifestyle.
I don't recall saying that. We've got one non-Christian poster here that uses abusive language almost exclusively, and another intermittently. Some of the rest of us will return abusive language, but not in a reply to an idea about an idea. Posters like River, Luci, Rosa, sweets, Christine, Tide, scaritual, Hiding, Rocco, wilderide, and Catcher (as well as others that I am probably forgetting) either never do so, or do so only after being subject to bad manners from some angry Christian.

Most of Christians posting here choose to use abusive language from time to time in a reply to an idea about an idea that they don't like, although I believe that it's only Viking Warrior, nanoanomaly, and reply mail that do so in most or all of their posts. The remainder do so intermittently - people like lightbeamrider, gort, RR/Proxy Queen, RiccardoFire, Joyful, and others.

So, no, it's hardly equal.

Fennario

#756214 Jul 11, 2014
dirty white boy- wrote:
I am NOT a fan of religion but it doesn't effect me personally/
I'll bet it does, but probably not in any way you mind.

You might have a different opinion if you were gay or an atheist, if you took global climate change warnings seriously and connected the national lassitude on the matter to Christian anti-scientism, or if you were aware of how much you were paying in extra taxes to cover your share - about $350 per taxpayer per year - of the estimated $70 billion dollars in tax breaks given the American church to subsidize its sprinkling a few crumbs of its enormous budget on the needy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 8 min Hypocrite watch 80,891
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr CATHOLIC TRUTH 701,767
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 3 hr doG mnaDed lyoH i... 448,425
O.J. Nicole & MARCUS: Fatal Attraction 3 hr Doctor REALITY 8
Not havin" 'Iggy' ain't gone be NO EXCUSE 4 War... 3 hr Doctor REALITY 3
Heros of the Simpson criminal trial 3 hr Doctor REALITY 55
Judas Iscariot and Mark Fuhrman 3 hr Doctor REALITY 46