“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#752247 Jul 2, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> That assumes it needs science to support it. Why would you assume that unless you also assume so called scientific method is the only way to derive truth?
Wait, what???

Now you are claiming ID can be "true" despite that it has no evidence to support it???

That's hilarious.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#752248 Jul 2, 2014
curiouslu wrote:
I love these imgur links. Please keep them coming.

I would, however, slightly modify Takei's comment, "We are a nation that respects religious beliefs, but also the right not to have those beliefs imposed on you by others."

There is no reason to respect religious beliefs. Do you respect the belief that gays and atheists are an abomination to a god, and that such people deserve and will receive eternal torment?

"I don't respect your beliefs and I don't care if you're offended." Pat Condell

What we respect is not the beliefs themselves, but the freedom to hold them, because we understand the danger of the alternative. The growing wave of unbelievers is committed in part to arguing against those beliefs because we don't respect them, and doing our level best to reduce the relative number that holds them. But because we respect freedom, we eschew coercive tactics and limit our efforts to cogent argument.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#752249 Jul 2, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
So what created God ?
Your magical invisible fairy can exist forever but not a mess of rocks and gas ?
ROFLMAO
All you do is prove you haven't a clue about much of anything.
I'm going to bed while you google for some insane apologetic to C&P .
G'nite Beamer.
Have a good sleep!

Nice engaging with you.

Fennario

#752250 Jul 2, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
If you want peace, it will happen.
It's not up to me. My only choices are to disengage from the thread, or remain and deal with the incessant and unprovoked verbal abuse either by being a doormat and meekly turning the other cheek, or by returning fire. None of those is peaceful coexistence.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#752251 Jul 2, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Atheism falls apart on its own. It needs no help from me. <quoted text> Exactly! Atheism generates no knowledge. I simply cannot go on with you. It is too hard to put my disgust in check.
- not a single scientific theoretical framework includes divinity or magical creatures.
- therefore all scientific theories are, in a sense, atheist :) b/c they are "without theism"
- however, atheism itself is NOT the driving force behind science (to argue that would be silly). Curiosity is. Desperation is. Morality (sometimes) is.
- we do not have any religious technologies that are efficacious and solve real world problems. We do not have "Christian chemistry," "Islamic biology," or "Shinto mathematics."
- Religions are simply not producers of technology or new knowledge

LB, you are ethnocentric in your arrogant belief that only your religion is correct. All religions are correct to their believers. All religions are subjectively real to their believers.

Howcome you cannot understand that?

And why isn't "howcome" one word?!? I am going to write as if it is! mwahahahahaa!

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#752252 Jul 2, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
So what created God ?
Are you to su*pid to understand the concept in theory? Uncaused Cause does not need creator. I tried to dum it down to the you as much as possible to no avail. The report from history being God is uncaused. That means God depicted needs no cause to exist. Now i know you do not accept that but at least get the theory right!

What caused the universe?

Answer
Something. Not nothing.

God has always been the majority report because all the other theories suck. From Life comes life. Happens every time. From history God is the source of all life. Life does not pop out for no reason no matter the time or circumstance, it just does not happen.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#752253 Jul 2, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I love these imgur links. Please keep them coming.
I would, however, slightly modify Takei's comment, "We are a nation that respects religious beliefs, but also the right not to have those beliefs imposed on you by others."
There is no reason to respect religious beliefs. Do you respect the belief that gays and atheists are an abomination to a god, and that such people deserve and will receive eternal torment?
"I don't respect your beliefs and I don't care if you're offended." Pat Condell
What we respect is not the beliefs themselves, but the freedom to hold them, because we understand the danger of the alternative. The growing wave of unbelievers is committed in part to arguing against those beliefs because we don't respect them, and doing our level best to reduce the relative number that holds them. But because we respect freedom, we eschew coercive tactics and limit our efforts to cogent argument.
Thus, when I see you adding to the various possible explanations for the existence of the universe deities, I see it as respecting the views of the religious over the necessity that our hypotheses be grounded in testable, disprovable predictions.

:p

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#752254 Jul 2, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Are you to su*pid to understand the concept in theory? Uncaused Cause does not need creator. I tried to dum it down to the you as much as possible to no avail. The report from history being God is uncaused. That means God depicted needs no cause to exist. Now i know you do not accept that but at least get the theory right!
Answer
Something. Not nothing.
God has always been the majority report because all the other theories suck. From Life comes life. Happens every time. From history God is the source of all life. Life does not pop out for no reason no matter the time or circumstance, it just does not happen.
Are you too su*pid to understand the concept in theory? Uncaused Cause does not need creator. The report from physics being that the Universe is uncaused. That means the Universe depicted needs no cause to exist.

Answer
Nothing.

The Universe has always been the majority report because all the other theories suck. From chemical processes comes life. From history evolution is the source of all variety in life. Life does not pop out for no reason no matter the time or circumstance, it just does not happen. Rather, life is the product of the mechanics of chemistry - and, once replication started, the continuing outcome of evolutionary processes.

I fixed that for you, LB.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#752255 Jul 2, 2014
<quoted text>
It's not up to me. My only choices are to disengage from the thread, or remain and deal with the incessant and unprovoked verbal abuse either by being a doormat and meekly turning the other cheek, or by returning fire. None of those is peaceful coexistence.
Don't disengage from the thread. Drama is life!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#752256 Jul 2, 2014
<quoted text>I love these imgur links. Please keep them coming.

"I don't respect your beliefs and I don't care if you're offended." – Pat Condell

Good modification, cheers for that.

I agree, I respect some people regardless of what they do or do not believe however, some beliefs in themselves, cannot be respected nor do they warrant respect.

http://i.imgur.com/RFnSaWK.jpg

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#752257 Jul 2, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Can't get past your prejudice which cripples you.
It's not prejudicial to ask for achievement, let's put it this way.
To get a grant a institution shows it's research and asks for research money.
Then when it comes time, to ask for more money or indeed after some time they have to show the fruit of the labor and show results. If they have made discovery or confirmed some hypothesis, made progress that can be shown the money is well spent, they may get funded again. If they cannot show this then the program gets cut and it end of the line for this research.
The ID hypothesis and all claims have been shown false, it has made no discovery , confirmed no hypothesis and made zero progress. How long do you support a dead cause?
Another 20 years of stagnate research and massive waste of money?
I think not, the ID hypothesis is dead, you are just the postmortem nervous death pangs till it just quits jerking and grows cold. Then it will it will need to be buried.
You can say the lords prayer now.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#752258 Jul 2, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
<quoted text>
You like wiki, here:
Technology ... is the making, modification, usage, and knowledge of tools, machines, techniques, crafts, systems, and methods of organization, in order to solve a problem, improve a pre-existing solution to a problem, achieve a goal, handle an applied input/output relation or perform a specific function. It can also refer to the collection of such tools, including machinery, modifications, arrangements and procedures. Technologies significantly affect human as well as other animal species' ability to control and adapt to their natural environments. The term can either be applied generally or to specific areas: examples include construction technology, medical technology, and information technology.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology
Understand that some technology wouldn't exist without the scientific method but plenty if other pieces of technology existed long before science. Things like a hammer or a windmill or ancient irrigation technology.
Stop thinking technology = modern, electrical stuff.
Technology is the result of implementing the scientific method.

Tool construction requires a hypothesis and hypothesis testing. Even beyond that, using a found object as a tool requires that you first have the idea that it could be used to achieve some objective, then you have to test that idea. If it turns out the object didn't work for you, then you can continue to do some rudimentary science to determine why it didn't work, furthering your understanding of the subject.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#752259 Jul 2, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
1. To make a claim about the nature of the universe, you must describe your claim.
Well i can from the Bible. But really you seem to put arbitrary claims Creator must be described. Not really. That is not how life works for anything. I do not need to know the ins and out of an aircraft down to the nuts and bolts to go on a trip. Nor do i need to hypothesize about the character of God down to the nuts and bolts to assume Something Intelligent rather than nothing and non intelligent. Something Intelligent is a better explanation. Better fits the facts. Go ahead and assume nothing and non Intelligent if you wnat but do not attenpt to justify that absurdity by throwing up arbitrary 'musts' or must nots.
2. How the universe came into existence does not rely upon the will of the majority. You're making the Argumentum ad populum fallacy.
The majority is not always wrong.
3. Faeries enjoy exactly as much evidence for their existence as any religion's deities.
Nobody argues for fairies. If you think both are equally valid then the burden of proof is on you since your claim can be rejected because it is so trivial.
Learn more about physics.
Too busy producing and making money. Those who can--do.
One can ONLY theorize about how gravity works WITHOUT invoking (your) God.
BS. That is only in your closed mind which shuts God out. You are in a box.
Not a single scientific theoretical model includes any divine or magical creatures.
God depicted is outside as the Painter is outside his painting. Seems you want to put the painter inside his painting. That is not the way it works.
God as an explanatory hypothesis IS rejected b/c it is untestable and non-disprovable.
everything from nothing for no reason is provable? I have to go to work, bye.

“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#752260 Jul 2, 2014
<quoted text>It's not up to me. My only choices are to disengage from the thread, or remain and deal with the incessant and unprovoked verbal abuse either by being a doormat and meekly turning the other cheek, or by returning fire. None of those is peaceful coexistence.
Well put.

There are other options, I've discovered and decided to develop an adamantium sheet. It's very peaceful and it doesn't make me a door mat either. Having been a door mat, I know the difference.

Don't know if that makes me evolved or evolving in progress but it's certainly less revolving.

http://i.imgur.com/yEwCahn.jpg

If firing back serves you, that's alright too. In some cases, it simply doesn't.

Please don't disengage. Unless YOU want to, that's acceptable.

This is a public forum.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#752261 Jul 2, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
I disagree. Atheism doesn't account for sexual perversion
Okay so far.
no more than Christianity is responsible for pedo priests.
Christian ideology is partially responsible for pedo priests.

The RCC's policies create an environment conducive for pedophilia among the clergy. Those policies stem from Christian ideology.
I know a few atheists personally and they are not what you describe.
Are some atheists sexually perverted? Yes. Does atheism cause them to be? No.
Are some Christians also sexually perverted? Yes.
Okay so far.
Does Christianity cause them to be? No.
The correct answer is "Not necessarily".

Christianity can significantly contribute to what you call sexual perversions. It can be the root cause.
Allie

Millington, TN

#752263 Jul 3, 2014

Fennario

#752264 Jul 3, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Thus, when I see you adding to the various possible explanations for the existence of the universe deities, I see it as respecting the views of the religious over the necessity that our hypotheses be grounded in testable, disprovable predictions.
:p
I assure you that I do not respect those views. It's simply that I don't know how to rule gods out, and until I do, they remain logically possible however untestable the hypothesis..

Furthermore, if intelligent design of the universe were demonstrated, the god hypothesis would be the only one that could account for it, which is why the Christians search for it. If we call the multiverse intelligent, purposive, and capable of designing and constructing universes, then it becomes a god.

Not only do I consider this argument sound, it's useful.

For one thing, I have no argument with deists, or people like BenAdam and Kaitlin who hold beliefs that include gods - if I understand them correctly. They are allies in the struggle against the Christian church. So, I have no problem with god beliefs per se. It's organized religion that is the problem. And I am glad to be able to say to those people that although I don't share their beliefs, I don't find them absurd, just unsupported.

And for another, the willingness to agree that gods are logically possible diffuses the claim that atheists positively assert that gods don't exist. Here's one that doesn't. I only assert that the logically impossible ones like the Christian god don't exist. That's just as firm a repudiation of Christianity and its god as yours, yet allows me to repeatedly pull the carpet out from under theists like Buck Crick who depend on that argument.

So I'm very comfortable with my present position.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#752265 Jul 3, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text>
To be honest, LB, your Christianity doesn't bother me. I'm glad it keeps you happy. Your scientific ignorance is appalling, especially since it's furthered by frauds like the Disco Institute, but whatever. I'm doing my part in education and fully grown adults like yourself can make your own choices.

Anyways, nice chatting with you.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#752266 Jul 3, 2014
To everyone else: miss you all! Loved being back, seeing everyone and all my old friends. I'm taking off, gotta get back to my real work. It's kind of crunch time, my supervisor told me I need to write something like 6 journal articles this year and apply for grants. I obsess too much about this silly site and all it's crazy, refusing to learn, religious people (whom I cannot help).

Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#752267 Jul 3, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Are you to su*pid to understand the concept in theory? Uncaused Cause does not need creator. I tried to dum it down to the you as much as possible to no avail. The report from history being God is uncaused. That means God depicted needs no cause to exist. Now i know you do not accept that but at least get the theory right!
Answer
Something. Not nothing.
Nor did life just string up from nothing, the chemical origin of life was slow and meticulous. But the evidence is there to show it did happen, and not without reason.
The reason is matter has an affinity to evolve toward complicated processes

Biopoiesis is very much like the processes that drive matter toward the creation of planets stars and galaxies Molecular evolution has only refined itself to convert sunlight and hydrogen into energy, and photosynthesis was born, this refine itself to survive by colonization. The colonization refined itself to become very simple life, and this simple life evolved into proto cells and then cells,(Cyanobacteria)
This life in it's process of converting sunlight into energy inadvertently poisoned itself, so it split into, two clades one that could survive in in the poison (oxygen) Eukaryote's and one that removed itself from oxygen Archaea. While the bacteria developed a tolerance to oxygen. The rest is the evolution of the Phylogenetic tree.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I caught my husband on dating site for cheaters (Aug '13) 29 min della 9
Thousands march in Holocaust memorial (Apr '06) 31 min Alexey25 507
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 51 min truth 607,250
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr AussieBobby 267,536
Scientific proof for God's existence 1 hr Make World peace ... 617
Sleeping with mother (Oct '13) 1 hr Ntakudyaunya 12
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 1 hr MUQ1 38,065
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 hr guest 568,404
More from around the web