“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#751381 Jul 1, 2014
dirty white boy- wrote:
I personally think atheism is a religion
Do you care to discuss that? If so, please give us the definition of religion that you are using. The closest definitions that I could find that might be useful to you are these:

[1] "a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs."

If you ignore the part beginning with "especially," you could include science and secular humanism as religions, but not atheism.

[2] "a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion."

Atheism is not a set of beliefs, but one single belief, namely, hat nobody has provided compelling evidence or argument supporting a god belief. If you hold that belief, you are an atheist. All other beliefs an atheist holds should be called something else. For example, if you believe that life evolved on earth, then you are an atheist who accepts evolutionary science. Such acceptance is neither necessary nor sufficient to identify an atheist. Some theists believe that.

And there are no practices associated with atheism.

Nor does there need to be agreement between atheists on any matter at all. If there were only one unbeliever in the world, s/he would still be an atheist.

[3] "a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.'consumerism is the new religion' "

Even this overly broad, metaphorical definition of religion doesn't include atheism. My anti-theism might be defined that way. I consider the diminution of the Christian church's cultural hegemony (i.e.its dominant influence) to be a high priority, but that also doesn't define atheism. Muslims probably want that as well.

So please tell us which definition of religion you are using so that we can discuss whether atheism does or does not conform to it. I think that if you give the matter some thought with an open mind, you'll see that you are incorrect.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#751382 Jul 1, 2014
dirty white boy- wrote:
<quoted text> hahaha! All dressed up, with nowhere to go..
hahaha! All dressed up, and no one to blow

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#751383 Jul 1, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you care to discuss that? If so, please give us the definition of religion that you are using. The closest definitions that I could find that might be useful to you are these:
[1] "a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs."
If you ignore the part beginning with "especially," you could include science and secular humanism as religions, but not atheism.
[2] "a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion."
Atheism is not a set of beliefs, but one single belief, namely, hat nobody has provided compelling evidence or argument supporting a god belief. If you hold that belief, you are an atheist. All other beliefs an atheist holds should be called something else. For example, if you believe that life evolved on earth, then you are an atheist who accepts evolutionary science. Such acceptance is neither necessary nor sufficient to identify an atheist. Some theists believe that.
And there are no practices associated with atheism.
Nor does there need to be agreement between atheists on any matter at all. If there were only one unbeliever in the world, s/he would still be an atheist.
[3] "a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.'consumerism is the new religion' "
Even this overly broad, metaphorical definition of religion doesn't include atheism. My anti-theism might be defined that way. I consider the diminution of the Christian church's cultural hegemony (i.e.its dominant influence) to be a high priority, but that also doesn't define atheism. Muslims probably want that as well.
So please tell us which definition of religion you are using so that we can discuss whether atheism does or does not conform to it. I think that if you give the matter some thought with an open mind, you'll see that you are incorrect.
Any group rallying around a specific cause or purpose for furthering said cause or purpose..

Location hidden

#751384 Jul 1, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
hahaha! All dressed up, and no one to blow
You know, I like eating peaches christine, Especially the two- legged kind :) So Sweet :)

here, for you

He isn't talking about a coffee cup :)

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#751385 Jul 1, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>At the moment, you can't wear enough sweaters once it gets dark.
Hm. Ok. Cheers.

#751386 Jul 1, 2014
curiouslu wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh no you didn't!
Lol, with the exception of soccer (which I'm boycotting because FIFA sucks), I agree.
Oh, I did... sorry...

Football (soccer) sucks (or bites) for sure.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#751387 Jul 1, 2014
gort wrote:
science isn't god. science proves god is. science has no idea what meaning or purpose or love are. devoting oneself to science as a frightened fundie atheist can't soothe the soul at death. science has nothing to offer man's search for meaning and what the afterlife holds or if there is one. Liars and fools try to convince themselves those things don't matter. they r FOOLS.
Science uncovers the beauty of god's creation; his laws r unfathomable and sublime.
inquizzie is a spoiled, burnt-out hippie holding on to anything that may make her seem unique and rebellious.
Oh some bread with lots of spam!

#751388 Jul 1, 2014
dirty white boy- wrote:
<quoted text> You know, I like eating peaches christine, Especially the two- legged kind :) So Sweet :)
here, for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =l-atuvoMXVwXX
Yup got the album
reply mail

Lawrenceville, GA

#751389 Jul 1, 2014
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Satan does not exist, but the Christians will never know this because they will think I'm an agent for Satan....or Satan himself.
Got themselves totally covered.
Shame.....
Satan does exist. We have your wickedness and rebellious life to prove it.
reply mail

Lawrenceville, GA

#751390 Jul 1, 2014
Screw Religion wrote:
<quoted text>
Porta Potty Mouth with Shit for Brains, we already knew you were a stark raving mad certifiably insane Christian whack job who should be institutionalized for the rest of your miserable existence.
Your hopelessness and desperation as an atheist keeps me laughing.
gort

Anonymous Proxy

#751391 Jul 1, 2014
mythicists are entertaining because they believe in and promote absolute, utter nonsense. their major points are wrong and they cling to so many factual errors and make so many outlandish assertions that it is hard to take them seriously. they are rejected and their views are not taken seriously by real scholars.

#751392 Jul 1, 2014
dirty white boy- wrote:
<quoted text> You know, I like eating peaches christine, Especially the two- legged kind :) So Sweet :)
here, for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =l-atuvoMXVwXX
Try
https://www.youtube.com/watch...
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch...

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#751393 Jul 1, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No claim of "irreducible complexity" has ever held up under scrutiny. The ID authors rely upon ignorance of the area of their claims. So, Behe tried to find the least well known systems to make his argument - then other people studied them and, voila, we know enough to draw out the phylogeny.
We are nearing the point where we can manufacture life in labs. We've already made novel lifeforms out of empty cells + genes stitched together.
The real problem is showing something like RNA or DNA coming into existence, then replicating and starting evolution. We'll get there, though.

If you haven't seen this, you might be interested.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#751394 Jul 1, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, I did... sorry...

Football (soccer) sucks (or bites) for sure.
No no no. Soccer is awesome as is the original spirit of the World Cup.

A copa do mundo.

My favourite game was the final game between Brazil and Germany many moons ago. I watched it in a big surround sound sound room and on a huge cinematic screen. In Planet Hollywood. I was very undecided on who to cheer for.

FIFA sucks.
reply mail

Lawrenceville, GA

#751395 Jul 1, 2014
Screw Religion wrote:
<quoted text>
Good riddance, Porta Potty Mouth with Shit for Brains!
Porta potty only exists in your weak and enraged mind.

Fennario

#751396 Jul 1, 2014
Ghost Writer 2 U wrote:
Atheism may have started out as an individual disbelief in any or all deities, but the new wave of atheism has certainly been transformed into a religion. There are 8 general characteristics that most major religions have in common. Let's compare our worldviews based on these 8 characteristics and see how much the new atheism has turned into it's own religion:

1) Sacred texts that convey the central importance to a specific religion's structure.
a) Christianity - The Bible (all versions), bible commentaries, theology books
b) New Atheism- The God Delusion (Dawkins), God is not Great,(Hitchens) The Atheist Manifesto (Onfrey)
None of those last three works is sacred, nor important to atheism. Many atheists have read none of them.
Ghost Writer 2 U wrote:
2) Central Beliefs that are the core and most important concepts that must be held or followed in everyday life.
a) Christianity- That Jesus was born of a virgin, was crucified, and rose again for us.
b) New Atheism- That there is no god of any kind and that science and naturalism will eventually answer all questions.
I do not say that there is no god of any kind. Such an assertion is not a necessary condition of atheism.
Ghost Writer 2 U wrote:
3) Dogmatic belief of narratives that are considered to be important to the religion itself
a) Christianity- The resurrection of Jesus Christ as told by the four canonical gospels.
b) New Atheism- Belief that Darwinian evolution can account for the origin of all life.
Atheism does not require a belief in evolutionary theory or any other belief beyonf the belief that the case for a god has never been successfully made.
Ghost Writer 2 U wrote:
4) Important symbols that convey the main message of that religion's beliefs to it's followers.
a) Christianity- The Cross
b) New Atheism- The Atheist Logo
What, the "A"? That's irrelevant to atheism. Are the Dodgers a religion because they have an "LA" on their caps?
reply mail

Lawrenceville, GA

#751397 Jul 1, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
He is no worse than Viking who belongs on your side. He is without a doubt the most awful human being to use a keyboard. Scrooge is only second. Take that back, he is fourth, cause he comes behind Viking, gort and reply mail.
I think you are a dumbass.

Fennario

#751398 Jul 1, 2014
Ghost Writer 2 U wrote:
5) Sacred Rituals are customs that are kept and passed down to following generations to celebrate and proclaim beliefs to others around the world.
a) Christianity- Easter Mass in St. Peter's Square at the Vatican.
b) New Atheism- The Rally for Reason on the Mall in Washington, D.C.
A rally is not a ritual, nor is it sacred, a custom, nor passed from generation to generation. Gatherings for discuss common interests do not establish a religion.
Ghost Writer 2 U wrote:
6) Moral and ethical teachings through rituals which provide understanding of worldview and beliefs central to that worldview.
a) Christianity- Sermons and bible studies that focus on a moral or ethical issue.
b) New Atheism- Seminars and scientific discussions centered on atheism.
Where do you see moral or ethical teaching in atheism? Atheism is one idea: "I don't accept any god claims."

What is the atheist worldview? Some atheists might see the world as being controlled by the movements of the stars. Astrologists are also atheist if they have no god belief.
Ghost Writer 2 U wrote:
7) Religious experience is the feelings one has as a result of a change based upon understanding and/or overcoming a troubling event central to the worldview.
a) Christianity- Indwelling of the Holy Spirit.
b) New Atheism- Euphoria based upon emotional relief after suppression of guilt.
Sorry, but there is no more feeling associated with rejecting gods than with rejecting vampires and leprechauns.
Ghost Writer 2 U wrote:
8) Social structure is the relationships that exist between certain groups and individuals from a common shared perspective.
a) Christianity - Campus Crusaders.
b) New Atheism - Freedom From Religion Foundation (how ironic)
No social structure is necessary for atheism.
Ghost Writer 2 U wrote:
So you see IANS, that religion isn't just tied to individuals or groups who believe in deities. Religion is how humans relate to their worldview in cooperation with those who share that same worldview. The "old" atheism was more individual. The New Atheism is now a solid religion.
You seem to be confusing the activism that many atheists enjoy to be essential to atheism, and religious in nature. It is neither. Once the church has been successfully diminished, there will be no more need for atheistic activism than there is now for aleprechaunistic activism.

How would it serve you or the church to convince the world that atheism is a religion? Is your purpose to demean atheism and diminish the influence of atheists?
reply mail

Lawrenceville, GA

#751399 Jul 1, 2014
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Still at it Pomona? Goodness gracious, he thinks he speaks for the Atheists. Sit down and shuddup will ya!?
Pomona the Putz has no boundaries when it comes to hatred. His dogma and religion of atheism keeps his mind in the marsh of life all day long.

Location hidden

#751400 Jul 1, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup got the album
I am a big fan of the stones.

my all time favorite song

and why not

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 min Jac 99,739
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 10 min guest 589,662
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 15 min We Are Almost There 4,206
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 47 min lisw 176,848
Skype Humiliation Domination 48 min SexyBossyBlonde 4
News Former NH gov.: Obama is 'inciting' birthers wi... 1 hr monkey pres 4
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 1 hr The swamiji 1,436
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr Truths 612,160
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr WasteWater 271,294
More from around the web