Prove there's a god.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Opal-Hearted Land

#738544 May 28, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Not everyone, just ignorant, radical, evangelist, literalist, fundamentalists like you and your ilk.
Thank God you are a minority of all Christinas. You are nothing more than an insane and often dangerous cult.
He is a funny-mentalist. Guess someone had his avatar deleted.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#738545 May 28, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Basically, yes. They believe the Qur'an is a clarification of the "corrupted" Scriptures of the Jews and the "corrupted" Gospels of Christianity.
The main difference between Islam, Judaism and Christianity is as follows:
Jews: "Jesus was a fraud. Jesus is not the Messiah"
Christians: "Jesus is God and the Messiah."
Islam: "Jesus was not God but He will be the Messiah in the end of days."
Note the difference in that Islam says Jesus "will be" the Messiah when he fulfills the role of Messiah. While Christianity says He "is" the Messiah even though he has not completed the task of Messiah.
Interesting stuff. Not all Muslims are rabid jihadis and I've had some interesting discussions with them.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#738546 May 28, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
"The winners" were just as guilty for the war. In fact, Russia started the whole thing with invading Austria trying to "annex" Serbia using the assassination as an excuse. After which France and Britain sided with Russia (who backed out before it ended) and later the US got roped in over a dubious "German Plot" to entice Mexico to invade the USA.
It was a humungous clusterfuk that occurred because the leaders of all involved were gready imbeciles.
We studied WWI for History @ school. It was a bit dull, they were stuck in trenches all the time. Then U Americans entered the war.

That's why we call our soldiers "diggers".

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#738547 May 28, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I hadn't read that from you before. Sorry.
Thanks but don't be sorry.

It's not like they dropped me in a dumpster after a 7/11 robbery went bad.

My upbringing and education was paid for. I don't come cheap, ya know?

My biological parents paid somebody to raise me.

The person who raised me still lives in my house. She has a daughter now. I help raise her. Her father died in a war.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#738548 May 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Yes I understand. Apologies.
No problema, and thank you

Fennario

#738549 May 28, 2014
How about the truth of Nazi Germany's Christianity? Care to deny that? Imagine a nation filled with people like the Christians posting here. How would they react to a Hitler shouting praises to Jesus and calling for a final solution to the Christ killers in obedience to a message he claimed to have received from on high? They'd be sieg heiling and goose stepping. Now picture rational skeptics and humanists like those posting here in the same situation - intractable, rational, and authority-questioning. We'd reject that crap just like we reject church ethics and bible atrocities now. We look at that book and shake our heads in disgust, while the faithful, seemingly unaffected, say, "Oh well - that was then, this is now." We are your best protection. Faith based thinkers are our weakest link.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I would reject the insanity of Hitler. You don't have to believe me.
I would like to think that that is true, and it might be.

Nevertheless, I would feel safer in a community that is predominantly non-theistic to one that is mostly Christian or Muslim. Those faiths deform reason and ethics. Too many such people are willing to kill or die because somebody convinced them that a god approves - so called Divine Command ethics, which sates that anything is ethical if the god wills it, even if it isn't apparent how. That's not an adequate basis for a moral theory. Nor is scripture. Only reason and compassion - rational ethics - are.

Fennario

#738550 May 28, 2014
gort wrote:
<quoted text>
why would we omit the most spectacular, earth moving, accurate and trusted documentation known to mankind?
Accurate? Your bible? Only believers would agree with that. Without faith, people aren't too impressed. I see vague and often self-contradictory language, failed prophecies, unkept promises, and errors of science and history. What part was accurate?

Fennario

#738551 May 28, 2014
gort wrote:
Sharing DNA common to apes doesn't prove common ancestors
Of course it does. Have you never heard of paternity testing? If your DNA is close enough to a child's, you're it's parent (or sibling). A little less close and you might be a grandparent or uncle. A little less close, of the same ethnicity. A little less close, of the same genus and species. A little less, of the same taxonomical family, like man and the brachiating apes. A little less, of the same order, like man and the lemurs. And on it goes. We even share genetic material with the plants, fungi, and bacteria, which is the basis for Darwin's idea of the universal common descent of all life on earth

With all due respect, don't you think we'd be kind of nuts to take our scientific information from faith based thinkers? You tend to get it from Christian apologetics sources, which exist to promote Christianity, not to be accurate.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#738552 May 28, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>Does that matter?

I washed it really well.
With tequila?

Fennario

#738553 May 28, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
"For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished." - Jesus. The Heavens and Earth still exist, Jesus' work is not accomplished, He hasn't returned yet.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
"Everything is accomplished" is in reference to Jesus' sacrifice on the cross.
There is no evidence to support that interpretation over any other. Had Jesus come again yet? No. That hadn't been accomplished. Nor the rapture.

And you just ignored Ben's point about heaven and earth disappearing.

Aren't you worried about heaven disappearing? Weren't you planning on living there forever?

I wonder if this was the kind of "accuracy" gort was talking about -the kind of thing that seem like perfection to a believer, but very confused and self-contradictory to anybody else.

Fennario

#738554 May 28, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
Yes, it does. DNA proves lineage. Ever heard of a paternity test ?
You beat me to it. Good job.

Fennario

#738555 May 28, 2014
gort wrote:
Evidence, please
Where's your faith? Your god prefers souls that believe without evidence.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#738556 May 28, 2014
<quoted text>Where's your faith? Your god prefers souls that believe without evidence.
Shouldn't believe anything without evidence. Not ever. Nuh uh.

Fennario

#738557 May 28, 2014
GhostWriter2U wrote:
Screwgy Poogey is an anti-theist. As an anti-theist he is more than a non-believer. He wants everyone else to be a non-believer too. He wants to be the thought police. His intolerance is intolerable. As is his lack of logic and intellect. The anti-theist is against freedom of thought even though they try to claim the opposite. This will offend him. Watch for the negative icons on this post. It will prove my point.:)
I'm anti-theistic, and I don't want any of those things. I don't want to be the thought police, and I don't need for any particular number of people to be unbelievers as long as they comprise a majority strong enough to keep the church out of the government and to keep it from determining the dominant cultural mores.

Regarding thought police, doesn't the Christian god condemn souls to hell for eternity for thoughts?

And what are you doing if not playing thought cop yourself trying to dissuade would-be judgit placers by claiming that if they rate your post negatively, that it proves your point that they are horrible people?

Fennario

#738558 May 28, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
how might your life and relationships be different if you asked God for help to resist the flesh rather than fulfill it?
Not at all different. My relationships are pretty satisfying, and I believe that I have found a good compromise between carnal restraint and indulgence. How could your god help me with either?
waaasssuuup wrote:
i can tell you that it made a world of difference to me!
Really? You don't seem to have much control over your salacious posting. Aren't you a married man?

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#738559 May 28, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Shut up, pothead. There is a Christ for every Christian. I can find millions that disagree with your spew here. It's all BS, you know, like your sobriety.
hahaha, play nice...

Fennario

#738560 May 28, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Until you describe what you mean by a god and the exact nature of your god, your question is pointless. How can anyone know what you mean by a god. There are as many different Christian gods as there are Christians and there are as many different gods as there are theists. The term god is so diluted as to be meaningless.
Are you familiar with the term "ignosticism"? From Wiki:

"Ignosticism is the view that any religious term or theological concept presented must be accompanied by a coherent definition. Without a clear definition such terms cannot be meaningfully discussed. Such terms or concepts must also be falsifiable. Lacking this an ignostic takes the theological noncognitivist position that the existence or nature of the terms presented (and all matters of debate) is meaningless. For example, if the term "God" does not refer to anything reasonably defined then there is no conceivable method to test against the existence of god. Therefore the term "God" has no literal significance and need not be debated or discussed."

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#738561 May 28, 2014
you been doing that for hours.. stop it!

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#738562 May 28, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
you been doing that for hours.. stop it!
Who the fck are you talking to?

Since: Apr 14

Location hidden

#738563 May 28, 2014
andet1987 wrote:
<quoted text>
very nice post. we only live life one time. we might as well be nice to one another.
Thank you. I completely agree. Have a great and wonderful day Andet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 4 min Buck Crick 49,278
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min Michael 646,815
topix drops human sexuality forum.......this be... 12 min patsy the shared ... 26
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 38 min Student 44,713
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 42 min Freebird USA 182,658
Just HOW angry is Satan??? 53 min Thinking 14
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 59 min Lbj 105,652
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr ChristineM 445,746
More from around the web