Prove there's a god.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#725440 May 6, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Different people describing you with subjective opinions does not constitute a logically impossible claim.
If someone claims you exist, then defines you in logically contradicting terms, you don't exist as defined.
I think most theists recognize contradictions in the definitions for their deity and believe only parts of the definition. In the case of the Bible and those that claim to believe it, there are thousands of incompatible and distinct possible combinations of beliefs that can add up to a concept for a deity.
The God character defined by the Bible cannot exist as defined. It would take a considerable amount of editing to remove the contradictions, and that editing could go thousands (if not millions) of directions. The result would be thousands (if not millions) of different deity claims. You don't need to look outside of Christianity to find people who believe in different deities. It seems to me that all theists believe in a unique deity. With nothing to actually observe, there's only one way to define these things, and that's using human imagination. Most people let someone else do most of their imagining for them, but to fill in the gaps, people draw from their own imaginations.
It doesn't really matter if your deity claim is logically possible or not. It doesn't really matter if it's testable or not. Human beings know what the word "deity" means by looking at all the imagined definitions and concepts for all the thousands of deities that people have believed in. These are things that humans are prone to imagine and believe in for various reasons. There's no reason to suspect that any of them might actually be real. None of the deity claims that I've seen stand out from the pack as more compelling than the rest. Most of them rely on the same kinds of fallacious arguments. They rely on similar methods to spread in populations. Faith seems to work the same no matter what you have faith in.
If you think you have a deity claim that's better than all the rest, it might be worth a few minutes to consider. Then again, it might not.
This is a well conceived and well articulated argument.

Fennario

#725441 May 6, 2014
Scrooge wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/Ameri canAtheists/posts/101523692143 42418:0
A list of 40 harmful effects of Christianity:
1. The discouragement of rational, critical thought.
2. Vilification of homosexuality, resulting in discrimination, parents disowning their children, murder, and suicide.
3. Women treated like second-class citizens based on religious teachings.
4. Children growing up to hate and fear science and scientists, because science disproves their parents' religion - leading to appalling scientific illiteracy.
5. Tens of thousands tortured and killed as witches (a practice which still continues today).
6. People aren't making the most of this life because of their belief in an afterlife.
7. People dying because they believe their faith makes them immune to snake venom, or other lethal aspects of reality.
8. People dying - and letting their children die - because their religion forbids accepting medical help.
9. People choked, starved, poisoned, or beaten to death during exorcisms.
10. Genital mutilation of babies endorsed by religious texts.
11. Psychological and physiological conditions blamed on demons, preventing believers from seeking medical care for themselves and their children.
12. People disowning family members for leaving their religion.
13. Friendships and romances severed or never started over religious differences.
14. "Abstinence-only" sex education, resulting in five times the amount sexually transmitted diseases and teenage pregnancies - often leading to ill-fated "emergency" marriages.
15. Women having septic abortions—or being forced to have unwanted children they resent—because religious organizations have gotten laws passed making abortion illegal or inaccessible.
16. Censorship (often destructive) of speech, art, books, music, films, poetry, songs and, if possible, thought.
17. The demonization of other religions, e.g. Christianity demonizing Pagans ("They're devil-worshipers!")
18. Children spending the period of their lives when the brain is most receptive to learning new information reading, rereading, and even memorizing religious texts.
19. People who believe the world is about to end neglect their education, are not financially responsible, and in extreme cases take part in mass suicides.
20. Long-term environmental issues ignored because of beliefs that the rapture/apocalypse or something will happen soon, so they don't matter.
(cont.)
Nice.

Fennario

#725442 May 6, 2014
Ghost Writer 2 You wrote:
I finally came to my senses after a long search for truth that was more intellectually stimulating than anything I ever thought of as an agnostic. I'm going to come right out and say it with no regard for being gentle. When I was an agnostic, I was a dumb-ass just like you. It took a lot of thought and courage to get out of that. It's not me who gave up. It's all of you.
There is no evidence that you were searching for truth. It sounds to me like you were searching for comfort.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#725443 May 6, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>"Soul" means an individual's "life", all living things "are" souls. When the body of a soul/life dies that life force returns to the source it came from. The life force activating the soul is called "spirit".
So animals have souls and go to Heaven ?

Even the billions of virii I just killed in the last 9 ,months ?

“"None shall pass"”

There

#725444 May 6, 2014
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Get well soon my friend.
Thanks, the hard part is over at least..... I hope.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#725445 May 6, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>God doesn't need anything.
Sure it does. Bible God needs humans to grovel at its feet and tell it how wonderful it is or it tortures them for eternity.

Your deity's inferiority complex is only exceeded by its violent sociopathy.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#725446 May 6, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> I agree. I am a loner and I avoid most everyone..
The only non-Topix people that have stuck by me through this illness is my ex, a couple neighbors and a half dozen friends from work.
It's OK, even Jesus had only a dozen friends and one betrayed him, another denied him, a third doubted him and they all hid when he was executed and buried except the three women who truly loved him.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#725447 May 6, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no evidence that you were searching for truth. It sounds to me like you were searching for comfort.
Religion is the opiate of the masses.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#725449 May 6, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>The Source will need to Clorox your energy before gathering it back to itself.
That is a very Jewish concept. It is what is meant by "Gehenna" in both Judaism and Islam.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#725450 May 6, 2014
<quoted text>
Apparently patriotism around here is equated with some corporate agenda these days. Last I knew it was okay to serve one's country. Putting your own interests aside and serving a higher purpose has always been something to admire in most cultures. And serving need not entail military service. It can be the Peace Corps or the American Red Cross.
The mockery of those who think themselves to good to serve was well versed by Rudyard Kipling in 'Tommy':
I'll paraphrase it:
Mocking the men in uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an’ they’re starvation cheap;
An’ hustlin’ drunken soldiers when they’re having a cold beer,
Is five times better business than training in full gear.
I like this one from Adlai Stevenson too:
"On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died." -Adlai E. Stevenson
Translation:
Just when you think you have it made or it's been too much of a struggle and you rest so close to the finish line, you lose.
Patriotism is a good thing when the country is in REAL danger, but consider how the politicians have used propaganda to screw over us common people, and our country.

There have been a number of military excursions that we have engaged in that have had manufactured reasons for American sending our young men into.

Tens of thousands of our sons, daughters, and husbands have been killed or maimed for useless wars that our evil politicians get us into.

Patriotism is the main instrument used to con the people to supporting the war and as an excuse to send men and women to war.

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#725451 May 6, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
It is easy to prove most of these Christians are morons, just ask them a question about their own religion.
How do you stop a Christian from stealing your money ?
Hide it in a Bible.
Just as long as it isn't hidden under the soap.
:-)

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#725452 May 6, 2014
Pineapple and cake. Hm.

~

How the fck would you know what any cake I make might be like?

~

It's called breath. Spirits are figments of the mind and liquor, you lunanotic.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#725453 May 6, 2014
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
:-) Tit for tat.....hilarious. Don't you just love that so many church pastors, ministers. etc., can't seem to keep it in their pants?
Yes! At this stage, the only question I would ask is whether they would prefer that BJ from Debra Murphree or Mike Jones?

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#725454 May 6, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I'll be dancing naked on yours.
TMI. We really didn't need that mental image!

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#725455 May 6, 2014
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Patriotism is a good thing when the country is in REAL danger, but consider how the politicians have used propaganda to screw over us common people, and our country.
There have been a number of military excursions that we have engaged in that have had manufactured reasons for American sending our young men into.
Tens of thousands of our sons, daughters, and husbands have been killed or maimed for useless wars that our evil politicians get us into.
Patriotism is the main instrument used to con the people to supporting the war and as an excuse to send men and women to war.
My country; and my country is the great American Republic. My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.
- Carl Schurz
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Carl_Schurz

It sounds like blind patriotism, IF he didn't add the last bit.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#725456 May 6, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure it does. Bible God needs humans to grovel at its feet and tell it how wonderful it is or it tortures them for eternity.
Your deity's inferiority complex is only exceeded by its violent sociopathy.
Ya. Jist read the crister instruction manual. it tells ya so.

Fennario

#725457 May 6, 2014
thewordofme wrote:
Agreed.

We don't need to be patriotic to want to defend our friends and families when they need defending.

It's just that it's been an awfully long time since that was the case for Americans - a time during which millions of them have died trying to secure oil or bananas for American corporations while thinking that they were serving people like you and me. I realize that I am expected to be grateful for people's willingness to die for Chiquita or Exxon-Mobil, but I'm not.

Fennario

#725458 May 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I absolutely agree with that. I don't think drug abusers, drug dealers, rapists, child molesters, identity thieves, carjackers, gang members, etc. should be allowed to breed.
How do you feel about atheists? Should we be forbidden to breed?

Don't answer that. You don't need your religion to be despised any more than it already is.

Fennario

#725459 May 6, 2014
I'm proud to join the ranks of former agnostics and atheists who have come to their senses.
I feel the same way about moving in the opposite direction. I am proud to be an ex-Christian-

Fennario

#725460 May 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
they upheld the Constitution. Congress can't prohibit the free exercise of religion. If you disagree please tell me what religion they just established.
"God"'s religion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min Slaughterhouse 100,144
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr Peter Ross 445,651
Any hot teen girl wanna email me (Mar '12) 2 hr idk 8
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr RCC Biblical Beas... 670,271
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr NIST 286,454
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 4 hr WildWeirdWillie 184,287
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 4 hr Halle Berry Sister 4,032
More from around the web