Prove there's a god.

“First it steals your mind..”

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#723069 Apr 30, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
...this exercise has now taken up residence in my head..
Lolz. You had one right there

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#723070 Apr 30, 2014
What would you expect this evidence to look like, and who would you be expecting to evaluate it?
Pokay wrote:
Why does it matter? Point is there is no evidence for a dimension of nothingness.
I think it does matter. It's meaningless to assert that something does or doesn't exist without a clear concept of what it is we are discussing.
Pokay wrote:
But we have reasons to wonder that what we experience is not a first order reality, IOW dimension and time could very well be an illusion. Namely that there are no absolute reference points for anything in our reality.
Can you define "first order" in this context?

You might enjoy this at http://newempiricism.blogspot.mx/2009/10/pres... :

"Presentism and the denial of mind - Presentism is the idea that the universe is three dimensional with "time" being an artifact of record keeping. It is the model of the universe that is taught in school science lessons. The immediate consequence of presentism is that everything that happens is the result of motions so nothing can happen now because there is no motion at an instant*. If nothing happens now, if "now" is frozen, then nothing can be known "now".

"Presentism originates in the fact that I cannot measure events that are a microsecond in the future or easily measure events that are a microsecond in the past, here, at the point of the measuring instrument (But electrons can interfere with their past "selves" - see Lindner et al.(2005). Attosecond double slit experiment. and Horwitz's analysis of these experiments).

"The alternative to presentism is four dimensionalism in which there is an aspect of time that occurs as a dimension like the three dimensions of space. This aspect of time is sometimes called "dimensional time" and is another axis, or direction, for arranging things. Four dimensionalism is the modern interpretation of relativity theory, it not only holds that objects are arranged in space and dimensional time, it also says that space and time are interdependent."

When I was in my thirties, my speculations were a lot like yours. I thought about issues like this a lot, and even wrote journals on them to myself. I thought that they were insightful then, although when I reread them now, not as much.

I like suppleness of thought. and like the free form that your speculations take at times. Where we part ways is your dogmatic presentation of them and your emotional reaction to being misunderstood or disagreed with.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Since: Aug 07

Piscataway

#723071 Apr 30, 2014
VIKING wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry you can't write or speak like that. It's called having an exceptional education, going to the number one prep school in America, being a voracious reader, being a lifelong learner, being cerebrally gifted, and generally being blessed with God given talents.
So you can forget it.
And we Christians don't like to "trash mouth everyone" only Christ-hating, God-hating, Bible-hating a-holes whose only purpose in life is to slander God, his Only Son and his Holy Word.
That's not too hard to comprehend..........is it?.
Prep school? You missed a comma and wandered too deeply into the ellipse tunnel. There is a funny corollary about Topix, well, one of many, but, let's call this Topix Corollary Number 72, the more grandiose the hubris, the more utterly shameless the boasting claims, the less likely they are to gain traction or exist in reality.

Thank you for your participation. Christianity veers deeper towards its inevitable, ignoble denouement with each pixel you palpebrate.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Since: Aug 07

Piscataway

#723072 Apr 30, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text> No, it says what it says, regardless of what I want. Kinda like you, it has long passages of really boring shit.
Hmmm, 40,000 sects. It says whatever the reader wants it to say.

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#723073 Apr 30, 2014
Ar aR wrote:
<quoted text>
You're assuming that Ben was honest when he said that he was sick.
But he didn't mention being sick until we started pointing out "another no school day out the in PA, huh?"
The all of a sudden, he had an excuse of why a college professor and high school teacher never teaches. "I'm sick". "I'm on leave".
Whatever. You can buy it if you want.
I will take his word over yours any day of the week.

Fennario

#723074 Apr 30, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Thumbs up.
Clam up
Chin up

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#723075 Apr 30, 2014
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>The number one Prep school in America told you to insult those you disagree with?

If you wish to be taken seriously:

1) Calling someone whom you had never engaged before a f*ckstick, a c*cksucker or d*cksmoker, is trollish behaviour. Trolls are generally ignored.

2) Sign up for a Topix account. Grey boxes are usually seen as possible trolls

3) Bragging about an education you have just after a post with five f-bombs is also troll type material.

If you really come from the background you claim, act like it.
I wouldn't worry about that consistently failed troll. It's only a matter of time before not a Viking gets banned. Again.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#723076 Apr 30, 2014
<quoted text>Clam up
Chin up
Beam up.
Well up.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#723077 Apr 30, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Prep school? You missed a comma and wandered too deeply into the ellipse tunnel. There is a funny corollary about Topix, well, one of many, but, let's call this Topix Corollary Number 72, the more grandiose the hubris, the more utterly shameless the boasting claims, the less likely they are to gain traction or exist in reality.

Thank you for your participation. Christianity veers deeper towards its inevitable, ignoble denouement with each pixel you palpebrate.
It's also not a Viking.

Location hidden

#723078 Apr 30, 2014
Ghost Writer 2 You wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt most lawyers would even give Topix the time of day, let alone a post. Topix is mainly trolls with a sprinkling of a few intelligent souls here and there. As for the atheist community, I suspect we're seeing the bottom end of the gene pool here on Topix.
Thank you for telling us why you are here. The bottom of the gene pool. If that is what you truly think, why haven't you gone on to more intelligent waters? Or do you think you can be the big shark in this little pool?

Fennario

#723079 Apr 30, 2014
Ghost Writer 2 You wrote:
And why does anything have to be testable and falsifiable to be real? Does your mother love you? Do you accept that she really loves you or do you think it's fake? Love cannot be seen. It is experienced. Love is not subject to space or time. I bet your mom loves you no matter where you are or what time it is. Right?
The word "love" is an abstraction that refers to acts that can be observed and experienced, as well as to feelings that we experience and express. Apart from these, it refers to nothing at all.

The private mental experiences called love are known directly and immediately by the one that loves, but only have meaning to others - the objects of that love - in their expression. The test of love is in its expression, which is testable.meaning that we can distinguish between when we are loved and when we are not..

For me, reality is tied to experience or the possibility of experience. Calling something real while excusing it from even the possibility of experience is meaningless.

If you have faith in something that doesn't exist, and don't require it to have any manifestation in objective experience, you have no way to correct your error.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Evolution is true.....

#723080 Apr 30, 2014
VIKING wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry you can't write or speak like that. It's called having an exceptional education, going to the number one prep school in America, being a voracious reader, being a lifelong learner, being cerebrally gifted, and generally being blessed with God given talents.
So you can forget it.
And we Christians don't like to "trash mouth everyone" only Christ-hating, God-hating, Bible-hating a-holes whose only purpose in life is to slander God, his Only Son and his Holy Word.
First off my friend, I do not hate Jesus, God, or the Bible. Since God does not exist and Jesus (as God) surely did not exist....is it really possible to hate something that mankind just made up a couple thousand years ago. Like all other Gods mankind has suffered through in the last few thousand years they will eventually die off.

As far as the Bible goes it is being disproved constantly. Most of the Old Testament is falsifiable. We now know many things about the New Testament that show much of it is not what people think it is.

Most of the books of the Bible are actually anonymous...the 4 gospels definitely are and they are not eyewitness accounts.

Going back to the Old Testament, we know that Adam and Eve never existed as written in Genesis. No Adam and Eve equals no 'Original Sin' equals no need for Jesus to expiate non-existent 'Original Sin'

Adam and Eve....falsified
Noachian flood....falsified
Tower of Babel....falsified
Exodus....falsified
Joshua's conquests....falsified

Still working on other stuff.

Are you a dilettante on religious and Biblical matters, or are you an expert on all things devout, sacred, spiritual, and pious.

Try acting like the learned person you claim to be.

#723081 Apr 30, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Bookmarked for later perusal.
I have watched the Psychology of Belief in the past when you put up the links. Quite good.
Yo DS. I have a question for you, if I may be so bold.

Let us assume I can get a spacecraft in space and tie an engine to it that would give out a constant output and force the spaceship forwards.

Since we are in space, there is very very little in the way of friction, so any acceleration would be quite profound, am I correct? I would imagine so.

Okay. So here we are, accelerating like crazy. If we keep applying the force, at some point, we are going to step into the realm of near-light speed. I know that for any massive object, it would take in infinite amount of energy (i.e. Impossible) to power itself to light speed. But how aboit getting close? As I get closer to C, my inertia would go up exponetially, meaning the ship is resisting accelerating any more. But at which point will we see this happen? 0.8C? 0.9C? 0.999C? 0.99999999C?

Location hidden

#723082 Apr 30, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
thanks for your sincere response!
what do you think of river tams response to me regarding the same post:
"Don't you have some neighbourhoods to stake out?
Those little girls aren't going to come to you, ya know?"
ya know friend, believers in Christ who have been martyred for their faith get killed by people around them because they take a stand and don't agree with same evil that the rest of the world embraces....
"if the world hates you, know that it hated Me before it hated you" - Jesus AND His message
....Believe me, it is not your faith that has all the women despising you. Its your language and snarky sexual remarks.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Evolution is true.....

#723083 Apr 30, 2014
VIKING wrote:
<quoted text>
So you can forget it.
What hubris....

#723084 Apr 30, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Beam up.
Well up.
Pitch up (cricket)
Batter up (baseball)

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#723085 May 1, 2014
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>Pitch up (cricket)
Batter up (baseball)
Back up
Raise up

Location hidden

#723086 May 1, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
paul was killed by the roman caesar & system after spending many years in its prisons for his faith, you willful ignoramous!:-)
And why do you think that is? Paul used to be the henchman for the Roman high priest. He didn't do his job and made him his enemy. Paul took up the Jesus movement and he was a lying fool then and admitted it. He says, I am a Jew to the Jews and a gentile to the gentiles. He was always playing both ends against the middle. He was supposed to be preaching the Jesus message, but he preached his own message. Read Acts. No matter how they tried to rewrite it, they left in quite a few truths. He was not a Jew, he was not a Roman citizen, because at the last riot he caused he showed them he had bought Roman citizenship, most people believe, out of the money he had collected for the Jesus movement.

He was brought back to Jerusalem twice for preaching the wrong message, the second time almost got himself killed. Paul was a pagan. Paul started the eucharist. Jews would never ever drink blood or eat flesh because it was a symbol of cannibalism. You know how picky they were over the method of obtaining food. It would have been an abomination. Paul, being a pagan, thought it was perfectly fine and dandy.

So don't think it was it was only his faith. Paul just played both ends too many times and paid the price.

Fennario

#723087 May 1, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
I notice that when asked "What does the Bible say ?" Christians will respond with their church's opinion rather than what the Bible actually says.
That's correct. When people say that the bible teaches this or that, they are wrong. The bible teaches nothing. It is merely mostly vague words, often with contradictory statements. To those that are reading it independent of outside influence, it says what they want it to say. Riverside Redneck gave us a nice demonstration of that when he answered 11 out of 12 quiz questions with his preferred choice from among two or more options.

By contrast, the church determines how the bible is to be understood by those who submit to it. If the church says in word and/or deed that gays but not liars must be persecuted and denied dignity, then that is how the believers will proceed.

#723088 May 1, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Back up
Raise up
Spit up
Give up

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min ffj 56,016
I LOVE "Swing out Sister" lead singer Corinne D... 4 min Doctor REALTY 2
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min Steve III 650,081
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 23 min Aussie Kev 2,310
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 1 hr Just Think 435
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr WasteWater 106,067
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr New Ideas 44,944
my cousin touches me when i am asleep and i kin... (Mar '14) Mon Jesus 47
More from around the web