Prove there's a god.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#720585 Apr 25, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
If you knew anything about what an omniscient, omnipotent god that wanted to be known, loved and worshiped by man would be capable of dong, and how very far shoet of that this falls, you would understand why your apologetics don't fly.

Ghost Writer 2 You wrote, " It's very amateurish. In the end, it's good that you didn't step up. You saved yourself from embarrassment. I think Divinity Surgeon did quite well. She has surpassed you in character and courage.
"

This kind of posting undermines your claim to be an authority. Academics simply don't write like this. These are the hallmarks of a propagandists - somebody trying to impose his viewpoint not with evidence and cogent argument alone, but with manipulative speech such as cajoling, demeaning, insisting the reader reach his conclusions, and self-aggrandizing. The willingness to deploy such tactics reveals a set of values that are inconsistent with scholarship, and are more typical of Christian apologetics.
Well said Teddy.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#720586 Apr 25, 2014
Ghost Writer 2 You wrote:
<quoted text>
You ask why we keep using the same old dusty arguments. Right?
The answer should be obvious. We believe them.....
Correct. You are brainwashed and incapable of independent thought.

You all keep repeating the Nicene Creed of Constantine and 90% of the doctrines set in stone by the Catholic Church.

The only reason you "believe" anything at all is because the same "beliefs" have been repeated for 1700 years.

Prior to 350 AD there were hundreds of Christian beliefs from Gnostic to Jewish to African to Northern European. None of which agreed on hardly anything at all. It was not until Constantine declared all but the Roman Church to be legal that all other Christians were converted or exterminated.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#720587 Apr 25, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but made up answers just because you want an answer don't really solve anything. I think this is one of the biggest problems with religion. It claims to know things that it really doesn't. In other words, it lies to people.
Oh.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#720588 Apr 25, 2014
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
You write:
" In other words, do you think the government should be able to tell a woman whether or not she can get an abortion?"
Do you think the government is not controlled by religion on this matter?
All the abortion crap emanates from religion trying to tell women what to do with their own bodies. Pure religion, trying to control your body and your sex life.
Taking away your ability to choose for yourself what you want or don't want.
No. The govt isn't controlled by religion, the First Amendment makes sure that can't happen.

When the unborn child is killed, you've successfully taken away his/her right to choose. What say you on that?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#720589 Apr 25, 2014
It would be great if we could all start an online bible study group for those of us who post here. If you register we can all communicate and set something up. It's my wife's idea.:)
You might like to visit the Why Should Jesus Love Me thread and get to know that crowd. They already do something like that using Facebook.

I see a trend in that direction as a good thing for all parties involved. Religion should be confined to the religious. No skeptic has a legitimate complaint against private worship and fellowship. It's only when it leaks out into our world that we have a interest in it.

Likewise, no believer has the right to expect his audience to receive him without argument and rebuke if he does otherwise. Private religion is your business. Public religion is everybody's, and we have a right to make that as uncomfortable for you and as useful to our purpose as we are able.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#720590 Apr 25, 2014
<quoted text>Can God influence man to help man?

Do you do your part to help? Do you give to World Vision? It's one of the few charitable children's organizations that meets standards and has received good reviews.

http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/national/c...

http://www.worldvision.org/charity-for-a-chil...
Irrelevant to the question.

Why would such a powerful god care more about keeping a man and his pamphlets dry in a brief shower than keeping children from starving to death?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#720591 Apr 25, 2014
Joy wrote:
<quoted text>
Ooh RR, why oh why did you make me think of this. I now cannot stop thinking about it.:)
Even if the government was moral and led by Christians, should they be able to tell a woman whether she could have an abortion or not.
No, still! Grrrr! RR. You are turning my whole thought process on it's end.:) If God believes in free will, then even the Christian run government (supposed here everyone) should not be allowed to control this because that would be violating their free will. Once again RR, Grrrr at you. Actually, thank you for helping me to open up my mind. I am still against abortion and I have every right to be, but that does not stop free will.
I'm against abortion too, I hate it. It's a despicable act and it's wrongly used as birth control. But I'm all FOR freedom, FOR choice.

I just wish more women would choose life instead of death.

Fennario

#720592 Apr 25, 2014
thewordofme wrote:
Christian apologist.
Agreed. Strobel's not fooling anybody. If it walks like a duck ...

I place Ehrman in that same category.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#720593 Apr 25, 2014
<quoted text>
Did I say convicted, or did you, Either way, you're a felon. You committed a felony. Did you beat the rap, Chester?
You did.

You called me a convicted felon.

You are incorrect, I've never been convicted of a felony.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#720594 Apr 25, 2014
thewordofme wrote:
Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live. means one thing only....kill witches.
Exodus 22:18

Who wrote it?

Why?

When?

To whom?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#720595 Apr 25, 2014
<quoted text>
It's amazing how people try to apply modern concepts to ancient history and expect it to make sense. And then they wonder why they get even more confused. Historical research as a discipline avoids this academic mistake like the plague.
The biggest challenge to the historian is to remove his or her modern perspective and leave it at the door. This doesn't mean abandoning reasoning or thinking. It means putting yourself in the shoes of the person or persons you're researching. If they lived in an era before the invention of motion picture or voice recording, then you must abandon the belief that you'll discover evidence that would be as compelling as what that type of modern media can give us. It just won't happen. That's the big reason that people don't understand historical research. They think it must conform to modern media standards before they accept the validity of it.
Historical data can only be analyzed against the standards of the era from which it came.
Makes sense, yessir.

This is why I know that Ben is not any kind of historian, certainly not university trained.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#720596 Apr 25, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Trust you to wear your blinders and focus on Salem.
40,000 - 100,000
Is the number of witches murdered by christians, worldwide, in the Middle Ages.
There's a great big world outside of your village and christianity has pissed on most of it.
"She can read and has independent thoughts! She's a witch! Let's kill her!"
- Male christian retards.
Oh.

Well which number is it?

"40,000 - 100,000" has a huge margin.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#720597 Apr 25, 2014
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
You’re asking me to help you flatter yourself? I really don’t think you need it.
But I *would* like you to answer this, if you’re willing or even able:
Where’d Cain’s wife come from?
Oh geez. AGAIN?!

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#720598 Apr 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh geez. AGAIN?!
HaHa!

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#720599 Apr 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You called me a convicted felon.
Nope. He called you a felon. He, like many of us, believe you are a criminal. Just like many of us believe OJ is a murderer regardless of court decisions.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#720600 Apr 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

BZZZZT! Wrong.

"In God We Trust" first appeared on US currency in 1864.

http://www.treasury.gov/about/education/Pages ...
You lose.
BZZZZZT! Wrong.
"Under God" ...
I said "In God We Trust" first appeared on US currency in 1864.

How's that wrong?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#720601 Apr 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
How do you know those are Christians doing the burning and witches being burned?
*Who else* believes that accused witches need to be burned? The muslims? They just cut people's heads off.
The Jews? I think not.
Christians? Well, that's what they did six hundred years ago, sooooo...
So you don't know. You assume.

Uh-huh....

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#720602 Apr 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

He offered no evidence that those were Christians doing the burning, neither have you.
You are at war with reality.
He offered no evidence that those were Christians doing the burning, neither have you.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#720603 Apr 25, 2014
<quoted text>Good eye.
Cheers :-)

Thought you might find this interesting, if you haven't read it already that is.

https://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki1...

Fennario

#720604 Apr 25, 2014
Pokay wrote:
I'll repeat that if you guys had your way you would enact laws to ban religion and then it would get real ugly as you try to enforce those laws; as ugly as the Inquisition was.
You don't think much of the Christians' ability to function in a democracy. Neither do I.

This from an email I received is regarding a court case brought by the American Humanist Association petitioning for the removal of "under God" from the Pledge:

"Removing “under God” from the Pledge of Allegiance is long overdue ...You and I both know that the Religious Right increasingly cites “under God” as proof that the United States is a Christian nation, and politicians use it to pass legislation that aims to erode Jefferson’s Wall separating church and state.But most importantly, public schools should not be conducting a daily patriotic exercise that exalts God-belief and casts atheist and humanist children as second-class citizens."

Yeah, you can expect a major stink from the church - the kind of fit they're presently throwing over the new Cosmos:

"Neil deGrasse Tyson Said Earth Is 4.5 Billion Years Old on TV: Creationists' Heads Explode"
http://www.alternet.org/belief/neil-degrasse-...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 11 min Jim-ca 53,373
Got my ex pregnant before break up. What do I do? 33 min onemale1 3
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 38 min Phooey 693,592
Is God a "Bully" sometimes? 1 hr Peter Ross 56
Last Post Wins !!! [ game time :) ] (Jan '11) 1 hr Hatti_Hollerand 2,483
Can Chinese girls date foreign men? 1 hr Puttin Bro 2
Who are the most racist people towards inter-ra... 4 hr Doctor REALITY 15
Skype gay sex (Dec '14) Mon dirtyguy34 35
More from around the web