Prove there's a god.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#719182 Apr 22, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is a subject we agree on. Every time I see those pitiful ads wanting people to send so much a month to support these children living in squalor in other countries, while they are still breeding like flies it makes me sick. If they would distribute birth control pills along with asking for help for these children, I may have some sympathy. If you want to fill in a hole to level the playing field, you have got to stop digging the hole bigger.
Notify the Vatican!

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#719183 Apr 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus fulfilled 44 Judaic prophecies that I know of.
You can't say He didn't without either lying or being ignorant.
I keep posting evidence to the contrary, and you keep pretending that it doesn't exist:

Jesus Did Not Fulfill the Messianic Prophecies

What is the Messiah supposed to accomplish? One of the central themes of biblical prophecy is the promise of a future age of perfection characterized by universal peace and recognition of God.(Isaiah 2:1-4, 32:15-18, 60:15-18; Zephaniah 3:9; Hosea 2:20-22; Amos 9:13-15; Micah 4:1-4; Zechariah 8:23, 14:9; Jeremiah 31:33-34)

Specifically, the Bible says he will:

Build the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-28).

Gather all Jews back to the Land of Israel (Isaiah 43:5-6).

Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. As it says: "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)

Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite humanity as one. As it says: "God will be King over all the world &#8213; on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One" (Zechariah 14:9).

If an individual fails to fulfill even one of these conditions, then he cannot be the Messiah.
Because no one has ever fulfilled the Bible's description of this future King, Jews still await the coming of the Messiah. All past Messianic claimants, including Jesus of Nazareth, Bar Cochba and Shabbtai Tzvi have been rejected.

Christians counter that Jesus will fulfill these in the Second Coming. Jewish sources show that the Messiah will fulfill the prophecies outright; in the Bible no concept of a second coming exists.

http://www.aish.com/jw/s/48892792.html

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#719184 Apr 22, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I care. It's not good for the neighborhood or the nation for the numbers of religious to be so high. Christian doctrine and faith based thinking damage people. It damages their intellect and character. It makes them submissive and easily demagogued. It teaches them to be nihilistic and misanthropic. It fosters magical thinking, promotes anti-intellectualism, teaches defective versions of love and spirituality, fosters a disregard for honesty, generates fear and guilt, and scapegoats and marginalizes various target groups including unbelievers, which it trains the faithful to despise.
<quoted text>
I'm sick? For objecting to organized religion and speaking against it?
Incidentally, you're a great example of what I was just referring to regarding people being trained to despise unbelievers. I given you no call to post to me like that. I've merely expressed my sincere opinions about the church.
You have been hostile from the outset, then call yourself a pacifist. That's passive-aggressive. It is reasonable for me to want there to be fewer people in the world like you and nanoanomaly, with whom you identified immediately. And who is more bellicose that she?.
<quoted text>
What we're doing is nothing like killing to make peace, and it's no different that what the church is doing. We're making a case in a great public debate. And yes, that makes perfectly good sense.
You can dispense with the faux pacifism now. You're here to fight. As I noted, you have been hostile to me without provocation, and defend others that are belligerents.
True debate does not involve death threats and suggestions of suicide. You can't even get logic right long enough not to make readers dizzy. Maybe if you laid off the herb you might achieve that ability, maybe not.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#719185 Apr 22, 2014
wilderide wrote:
I understand. But I find it hard to fathom that a rape victim would want to raise a child that would be a permanent reminder of what happened, and rape can be many degrees of horrific.
Understood and agree. That's why I said I don't think the law should ever deny a rape victim the choice. I don't think the law should deny anyone the choice. Like I've said over and over, I just hope that more women would choose life over death.

San Francisco, CA

#719186 Apr 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Order. That's what you get. Order.
Which appears to be much better than the chaos you and your kind propagate.
Law'n order, a la Mussolini.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#719189 Apr 22, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I keep posting evidence to the contrary, and you keep pretending that it doesn't exist:
Jesus Did Not Fulfill the Messianic Prophecies
What is the Messiah supposed to accomplish? One of the central themes of biblical prophecy is the promise of a future age of perfection characterized by universal peace and recognition of God.(Isaiah 2:1-4, 32:15-18, 60:15-18; Zephaniah 3:9; Hosea 2:20-22; Amos 9:13-15; Micah 4:1-4; Zechariah 8:23, 14:9; Jeremiah 31:33-34)
Specifically, the Bible says he will:
Build the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-28).
Gather all Jews back to the Land of Israel (Isaiah 43:5-6).
Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. As it says: "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)
Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite humanity as one. As it says: "God will be King over all the world &#8213; on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One" (Zechariah 14:9).
If an individual fails to fulfill even one of these conditions, then he cannot be the Messiah.
Because no one has ever fulfilled the Bible's description of this future King, Jews still await the coming of the Messiah. All past Messianic claimants, including Jesus of Nazareth, Bar Cochba and Shabbtai Tzvi have been rejected.
Christians counter that Jesus will fulfill these in the Second Coming. Jewish sources show that the Messiah will fulfill the prophecies outright; in the Bible no concept of a second coming exists.
http://www.aish.com/jw/s/48892792.html
Again?

I'll come back to this after work, when I have more time.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#719190 Apr 22, 2014
Scrooge wrote:
<quoted text>Eradicating ignorance would eradicate religion. Indoctrination is a crime against humanity and will be internationally banned in the decades ahead.
But it's got to be in that order.

Eradicate ignorance and religion dies a natural death.

San Francisco, CA

#719191 Apr 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Understood and agree. That's why I said I don't think the law should ever deny a rape victim the choice. I don't think the law should deny anyone the choice. Like I've said over and over, I just hope that more women would choose life over death.
Don't hope, dude.

Pray!!

Location hidden

#719192 Apr 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh give it a rest, you crazy ass. I never have and never will pray for anyone to die.
Agreed.

I don't pray very often, a year or two may go by between one and the next.

If I ever felt like bothering mentioning "Kaitlyn" to God it would be to ask him to allow her some grace or peace of mind before her end.

Location hidden

#719193 Apr 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If you don't want me to get hostile towards you, don't lie about my actions, don't lie about my words.
You forget; the truth does not serve his purpose.

Something he admitted many moons ago.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#719194 Apr 22, 2014
Ghost Writer 2 You wrote:
The NT is based on circular reasoning? No. The NT illustrates how God's redemptive plan from the time of the covenant with Abraham, was put into action during the time of Jesus Christ.
Either you or I can make a plan that will benefit our children and see it through to completion even though our children may not recognize that plan as they are growing up. Once they are grown they may understand what our purpose was. This is not circular reasoning as you state. The same principle applies to the Abrahamic and NT covenants. One preceded the other.(...edited for relevance..)
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
And when the book you follow tells you that the prophecies in an older book were fulfilled because "if you read right here it says they were fulfilled" then it's easy to understand you rely on circular reasoning.
Straw man much?
Nope, not a Straw man, the comment was a valid observation as you can see above, and the link here, http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE... , provides the instance and reason why the observation was made.

San Francisco, CA

#719195 Apr 22, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>You forget; the truth does not serve his purpose.
Something he admitted many moons ago.
I have been under the impression that mooning violates the Topix rules.
Scrooge

Scottsdale, AZ

#719196 Apr 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Just my opinion...
No sane person gives a shit about the opinions of an insane lunatic. Seek professional help already, azzhole!

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#719197 Apr 22, 2014
It requires theological understanding. You don't have that. I do.:)

Theology involves the understanding of the nature and effects that religion has upon believers and why they believe what they believe, and, the circumstances that gave rise to the theology of the religion.

"Theological understanding"

It's an opinion based field, by and large, and the only facts about a specific theology/belief to be found are in the religious writings of the originating - or religion spawning - literature. In the case of Christianity, that would be the bible. Again, the bible isn't difficult to understand.

Christians often state it is difficult to understand, and requires much study and instruction to fully grasp the meaning in the bible in order to believe it. That, however, isn't the problem.

The problem is that it is - not believable or credible - to those that understand what the bible represents. Mythology.

Your religious belief is no different than the religious belief of the Hindu, Muslim, Baha'i', Chinese folk religion adherent, etc.

Although I've no doubt you_.·:*¨`*†believe†*¨`*:·._it is different.

It isn't.

Location hidden

#719198 Apr 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya. It's so evil to consider that there's a new life at stake, not just the club slut that got knocked up....
Oh the humanity!
A Finnish study revealed that abortion does lasting physical and psychological damage to many women.

http://www.deveber.org/text/chapters/Chap14.p...

Many suffer long term guilt and depression, self destructive thoughts and suicide at a 6 to 7% higher rate than women who don't seek abortions. It can also cause premature birth in a later, "wanted" pregnancy.

For the women, it's about whether their conscience can deal with the "choice" and many have no idea that what they thought they could handle, emotionally, was incorrect.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#719199 Apr 22, 2014
thewordofme wrote:The Old Testament is the 'founding documents' of the Christian religion. Without it the Christians have no basis, no foundation, so to speak.
Now, with the OT being disproven, I wonder what Christianity will do.

scaritual wrote: I tend to think that's why Christianity has come up with the, "You have to be a Christian and reeeeally study it to truly understand it", excuse.
It's not an excuse. It's the truth. It requires theological understanding. You don't have that capability. It's beyond your grasp. The fact that you argue against it is proof of that.
The fact that you argue against it is proof of that.
Even though the first portion of the post above supports what I said, the last line may be the funniest thing I'll read this day.
Scrooge

Scottsdale, AZ

#719200 Apr 22, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
drawn to their cult.
A lack of belief in supernatural deities isn't the basis of a cult. Rational thought naturally leads to atheism. Compassion leads to an opposition to religious brainwashing which produces retarded and revolting c*nts like you.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#719201 Apr 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>What war on contraception?!? I have no war on contraception. If anything, I'm the one pushing it much. I'm the one pushing responsible sex over abortion.

There's no such thing as an accidental pregnancy.
Seriously?

Unbelievable.

Almost.
Scrooge

Scottsdale, AZ

#719202 Apr 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Would you want to institutionalize these punks?
It's historical fact that organized religion is a hoax founded to control the pathetically weak. It's also an historical fact that preying religious cults with violence inciting dogma pose the greatest threat to the future of the human race. There will be an international ban on religious brainwashing in the coming decades and fanatics like you will need to be forcibly removed from society.

Location hidden

#719203 Apr 22, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL. The numbers of us that have expressed an extreme dislike of her to the point of joking about her demise seems to be growing..
"Joking?"

Now that IS funny, considering one of your crew said that if they ever found my address they would kill me. Very funny, liar.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min June VanDerMark 596,508
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 12 min andet1987 6,154
"Hey!!!! Do you think I have an ODD-SHAPED HEAD... 13 min USaWarringIdiotSo... 38
The Christian Atheist debate 29 min ChristINSANITY is... 1,033
4 word game (use same Letter) (Mar '13) 38 min andet1987 1,461
"How much WIGGLIN' you plan on DOIN'??! lol 45 min Doctor REALITY 10
REAL Music !!! Part IV !! 1 hr Doctor REALITY 8
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr End Times 612,638
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr An NFL Fan 177,211
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 9 hr I Am No One_ 444,356
More from around the web