Prove there's a god.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#719343 Apr 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, what's wrong? In my not falling into your ideal pro-choice atheist agenda?
Guess what, I don't care and I don't have to.
Like I said, I always hope the woman chooses life over death. In the end, obviously it's her choice. Why the father gets no say so, who knows. Do you?
The father is left out because its the woman's body and future....at least that is what I assume (dangerous thing to do I know) and the fetus is just a fetus, unfeeling and unknowing.

I don't ask you to conform to what I think...half the time I agree with your position.

I don't think you are as 'pro-choice' as you think you are.

I also believe the women should not abort a child, but I understand and support her if she does.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#719344 Apr 22, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Welcome to christian charity.
From a supposed first world country that has a third world country number of starving children.
Tell it to the government who gives away billions of those kids parents' tax dollars to foreign countries and corporations.

The U.S. spends too much on those who don't deserve it instead of on their own.

America's poor Christian majority has already given more than their fair share to the world and gotten very little appreciation for it. You can't blame the hungry on Christianity. Blame the cultures that allow the children to eat only if there's food left after the parents are full.

Hypocrite.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#719345 Apr 22, 2014
Ghost Writer 2 You wrote:

That law is located in Numbers 19:11- "The person who touches any human corpse will be unclean for seven days." Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB) If the disciples had touched the body they would've been unclean and unable to worship in the temple or any synagogue. This is another reason why the leaders made the claim the disciples stole the body. They didn't want the disciples coming into synagogues declaring that Jesus had risen. If they were unclean, they wouldn't be allowed in the temple or synagogue. It was all politically calculated.
I understand that being clean is just as important now as it was in Biblical times. Think of the water most of us prefer today, crystal clear, cold and pure.

What do you think about personal purity and how it pertains to Biblical purity? Is it outdated or still relevant today?
1) Passion of the Christ was filmed from a Roman Catholic perspective because Mel Gibson is Catholic. The film took some artistic liberties from reality, most notably in the crucifixion scenes. The story of Jesus saving a woman from stoning isn't in the earliest manuscripts we have. This doesn't mean it didn't happen. It might have happened and been preserved in oral traditions or later writings by the early church fathers and was later included on that basis.
Not in the earliest manuscripts? I didn't know that. Either way, I've always liked the moral of that story; "He who is without sin, cast the first stone..."
2) Mary Magdalene was possessed by seven demons, and Jesus cast them out in the village of Magdela.
3) As for another woman named Mary that Jesus dealt with, it's likely He dealt with a lot of women named Mary. One fourth of first century Palestinian Jewish women were named Mary, or some variation such as Mariam.
Yes I know that. Interesting that many Bible names are still common today whereas other religious names at the times aren't. Me and two of my brothers have Biblical first and middle names.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#719346 Apr 22, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
What MAN would they choose to give a virgin birth. At least we could believe it was a VIRGIN birth.
Oh.

Question: How can you tell if a man is a virgin?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#719347 Apr 22, 2014
Joy wrote:
<quoted text>
The question is not of his history or past but of his present and future. No one can change their past, but can only strive to improve their present and future. We all make mistakes. No one is perfect. I pray that Redneck is striving to improve his present and future.
Well said.

And thank you.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#719348 Apr 22, 2014
<quoted text>
Straw man much? It requires theological understanding. You don't have that. I do.:)
You just made the list:

REASONS GIVEN ON TOPIX WHY SKEPTICS AREN'T QUALIFIED TO COMMENT ON THE BIBLE

[1] I took the scripture out of context. It means something other than what it says (context and implied meaning never supplied).
[2] I don't understand literary criticism
[3] It's an allegory, not literal.
[4] It's literal, not an allegory.
[5] Scripture is only transparent to those with a child's perspective
[6] Scripture is only transparent to biblical scholars
[7] I am not filled with the Holy Spirit
[8] That's the mystery of it all. "God works in mysterious ways"
[9] Man's mind is too puny to grasp the immensity of God's truth and justice.
[10] You were obviously never a "true christian"
[11] You don't have enough faith. You have to believe to understand.
[12] You can’t criticize the bible because you don’t believe or understand it.
[13] Why do we think we can pretend to know God?
[14] Scripture always interprets scripture
[15] Ever heard of biblical hermeneutics?
[16] You are not TRULY with truth and sincerity seeking God.
[17] You have to know how to translate Hebrew and Greek
[18] You are using a completely unsupportable transliteration of Scripture
[19] You have clearly not studied the ancient peoples who wrote those things or you would not come up with the conclusions you have.
[20] It takes humility to understand the Bible
[21]“Stop scripture mining."
[22] You have to be familiar with the technical terminologies in the bible before you can comprehend it.
[23] Even Satan can quote scripture.
[24] In any other field, like medicine, engineering, technology, electronics, software, computer, unless you have qualifications and experience, you are not allowed to open you mouth.
[25] You have no reference in the knowledge of God to know our experience in Christ Jesus. The Word has to be embedded in one's heart, and that can come from God only.
[26] You're asking me to give you a four year bible study course on Topix?
[27] Dont fall in the trap of being a one verse wonder. You need to understand the passage and true meaning of the verse.
[28] You're only making a fool out of yourself trying to argue over something that you are not Blessed to understand.
[29] When you read scripture, one has to discern WHO that particular verse was written to..The believer or the Non believer. If we cant understand that then YES, the bible would seem to be very contradicting.
[30] A doctor, lawyer, scientist, or engineer are so used to reading their professional documentation literally, that metaphor, allegory, parables, hyperbole, and analogies are like another language unto themselves.
[31] You are not bright or educated enough to spew against Bible
[32] I would question the person who thinks that you understand even one page of any Bible. Without first learning the language how could you.
[33] Your arguments are so full of errors and misconceptions I don't even wanna touch it.
[34] You and others like you can't understand because you're not permitted to unless/until you repent and confess Christ as LORD.
[35] The power of the gospel is designed to frustrate the wisdom of the wise.
[36] It's so damn cute when atheists reach for their Bible to make their point. I love it!
[37] Your biased interpretation of the text is not the absolute interpretation that is required.
[38] It requires theological understanding. You don't have that. I do.

Evolution is true.....

#719349 Apr 22, 2014
<quoted text>
Yes, and what's your point? Multiple women visited the tomb. That's not unusual in ancient Judaic tradition. In fact, it would be expected. Men weren't allowed to touch a dead body. The more women present, the easier it would be to do the lifting if it needed doing.
As for multiple accounts, Mary Magdalene is present in all four. So now look at the other accounts as one harmonized account, and add the other named women.
Mary Magdalene, Mary (mother of James), Salome, Joanna, and at least one more.
What you have here is a completed account derived from fragmentary accounts. No single account disagrees with another. Just new names are added. This is known as harmonization.
"This is known as harmonization."

Could also be known as non-eyewitnesses reporting on something they don't really know about.

We also understand that there was quite a bit of plagiarism going on between Mark, Matthew, and Luke. A lot of word for word copying.

“Faith = Trust”

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#719350 Apr 22, 2014
JaclynNoel wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, this is known as CBFCTCE, which stands for Christian Bullshit For Contradictions They Cannot Explain.
No. It's a very real process used by police officers, investigators, and historians. I'm a professional historian.:)

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#719351 Apr 22, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Welcome to christian charity.
From a supposed first world country that has a third world country number of starving children.
Jesus the communist:

Matthew 19:21 "Jesus answered,“If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

Followed by...Jesus the cult leader:

Matthew 19:28-30 "Jesus said to them,“Truly I tell you, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life. But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first."

Now everyone have some Kool-Aid!

Evolution is true.....

#719352 Apr 22, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You just made the list:
REASONS GIVEN ON TOPIX WHY SKEPTICS AREN'T QUALIFIED TO COMMENT ON THE BIBLE
[1] I took the scripture out of context. It means something other than what it says (context and implied meaning never supplied).
[2] I don't understand literary criticism
[3] It's an allegory, not literal.
[4] It's literal, not an allegory.
[5] Scripture is only transparent to those with a child's perspective
[6] Scripture is only transparent to biblical scholars
[7] I am not filled with the Holy Spirit
[8] That's the mystery of it all. "God works in mysterious ways"
[9] Man's mind is too puny to grasp the immensity of God's truth and justice.
[10] You were obviously never a "true christian"
[11] You don't have enough faith. You have to believe to understand.
[12] You can’t criticize the bible because you don’t believe or understand it.
[13] Why do we think we can pretend to know God?
[14] Scripture always interprets scripture
[15] Ever heard of biblical hermeneutics?
[16] You are not TRULY with truth and sincerity seeking God.
[17] You have to know how to translate Hebrew and Greek
[18] You are using a completely unsupportable transliteration of Scripture
[19] You have clearly not studied the ancient peoples who wrote those things or you would not come up with the conclusions you have.
[20] It takes humility to understand the Bible
[21]“Stop scripture mining."
[22] You have to be familiar with the technical terminologies in the bible before you can comprehend it.
[23] Even Satan can quote scripture.
[24] In any other field, like medicine, engineering, technology, electronics, software, computer, unless you have qualifications and experience, you are not allowed to open you mouth.
[25] You have no reference in the knowledge of God to know our experience in Christ Jesus. The Word has to be embedded in one's heart, and that can come from God only.
[26] You're asking me to give you a four year bible study course on Topix?
[27] Dont fall in the trap of being a one verse wonder. You need to understand the passage and true meaning of the verse.
[28] You're only making a fool out of yourself trying to argue over something that you are not Blessed to understand.
[29] When you read scripture, one has to discern WHO that particular verse was written to..The believer or the Non believer. If we cant understand that then YES, the bible would seem to be very contradicting.
[30] A doctor, lawyer, scientist, or engineer are so used to reading their professional documentation literally, that metaphor, allegory, parables, hyperbole, and analogies are like another language unto themselves.
[31] You are not bright or educated enough to spew against Bible
[32] I would question the person who thinks that you understand even one page of any Bible. Without first learning the language how could you.
[33] Your arguments are so full of errors and misconceptions I don't even wanna touch it.
[34] You and others like you can't understand because you're not permitted to unless/until you repent and confess Christ as LORD.
[35] The power of the gospel is designed to frustrate the wisdom of the wise.
[36] It's so damn cute when atheists reach for their Bible to make their point. I love it!
[37] Your biased interpretation of the text is not the absolute interpretation that is required.
[38] It requires theological understanding. You don't have that. I do.
Beautiful list....Bravo

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#719353 Apr 22, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>My baby used to get hiccups starting at about 6 months gestation. And even cried a couple times before birth. Spooked me out the first time. Anybody who claims the unborn aren't individuals are crazy.
Cried, how?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#719354 Apr 22, 2014
<quoted text>
Yes, and what's your point? Multiple women visited the tomb. That's not unusual in ancient Judaic tradition. In fact, it would be expected. Men weren't allowed to touch a dead body. The more women present, the easier it would be to do the lifting if it needed doing.
As for multiple accounts, Mary Magdalene is present in all four. So now look at the other accounts as one harmonized account, and add the other named women.
Mary Magdalene, Mary (mother of James), Salome, Joanna, and at least one more.
What you have here is a completed account derived from fragmentary accounts. No single account disagrees with another. Just new names are added. This is known as harmonization.
I think atheists find contradictions because their desire to find contradictions overwhelms them. They love trying to use theology paradoxes like the "Can God create a rock so heavy that he can't lift it" paradox. They think when the posit that question, they've got the religious, and subsequently God, by the balls.

They also like to employ the fallacy "Law of excluded middle", or as Aristotle put it: With contradictory propositions (where one proposition is the opposite of the other) one must be true, and the other false. No if ands or buts with these people.

Thoughts?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#719355 Apr 22, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
Relax. I REALLY hate snakes, so "somewhat" leaves you rather low on the love scale.
xD
Oh whew! Thanks.

Ima fighter not a liver :)

Fennario

#719356 Apr 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I've never seen nano, or any other theist, be as vile and evil as you and your cronies.
Have you ever seen a poster as loathed by a thread as nanoanomaly?

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#719357 Apr 22, 2014
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>A fetus does not think or feel, female or male, it makes no difference.

You said you were 'pro-choice' what's the matter here?
He amended his statements from "pro life" to "pro choice".

He's lying. What a surprise.

Fennario

#719358 Apr 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
If you don't want me to get hostile towards you, don't lie about my actions, don't lie about my words.
You've got that backwards.

San Francisco

#719359 Apr 22, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Cried, how?
Maybe she gestated it in a box.

Fennario

#719360 Apr 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Oh, I keep forgetting. The Topix Atheist! thinks that the Jews are the experts on their book but the atheists are the experts on the Christian Bible, not the Christians.
This is typical for you.

San Francisco

#719361 Apr 22, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever seen a poster as loathed by a thread as nanoanomaly?
Prickles can be both obnoxious and hypocritical ("you overindulge in insults!") but she isn't the worst. Unfortunately.

Fennario

#719362 Apr 22, 2014
You have a point here, and I'm going to call it the way I see it. I see alliances made based upon what side of the fence one is on. And I see it on both sides. Anyone who denies this is full of sh!t. When there aren't flame wars going on, we can seem to get along with each other with regard to some of the topics discussed. For example, I loved reading the posts from Double Fine on venomous snakes. No matter my opinion of his worldview, nobody can say he's ignorant regarding these dangerous creatures. He knows venomous snakes like I know history and historical research. I'm willing to acknowledge that if you and I were to discuss medical history, you could teach me a lot. Our passions are easily aroused by our worldview, and there must be a point in the human psyche (different for everybody of course) that reacts to certain concepts to the point that we forget courteous discussion and revert to a "any enemy of my enemy is my friend" type of ad hoc alliance.
I'm sure you see at least some degree of truth in this observation.
I can agree with that.

Why do you suppose religion is so divisive a topic?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 37 min Travesty 52,404
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr awesome wise man 693,338
the Lord JEHOVAH YAHWEH..has ALWAYS EXISTED??! 2 hr Holy dr Shrink 7
I need a name for a song. 2 hr LatinoVargas55 1
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 2 hr Holy dr Shrink 446,000
Jake Tapper: I Lied About Trump S Hole Comment 3 hr Frmr Dem Now4Trump 1
___TRUMP Already Met & Deceived by ANTICHRIST___ 3 hr 2018 Breaking 1
More from around the web