Prove there's a god.

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#719072 Apr 22, 2014
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>I mentioned Harris and Dawkins. They both would love to see it happen. If they ever find a way to approve it you know they would do it. It's not a question of intent. Happy?
You are full of it Pokay. What the heck has happened to you in the couple of years since I last talked to you on Topixs? You used to be interested in things, never took sides even tho you said you did have one experience that made you ask questions. Believe me I have not forgotten you.

Now you pick one Topix bully to hide beneath their skirts as the two of you go your rounds of threads. You talk about going back 100 pages but go back a couple of years and see who is the bully. And you want to be a part of that. Shame on you. You are no longer the pacifist, peace maker you say you are.

“Faith = Trust”

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#719073 Apr 22, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
We have documented eye witness testimony ...
"When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter, I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter. Away to the window I flew like a flash, Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash."
... including a detailed description of how he looked:
"He was dressed all in fur, from his head to his foot, And his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot; A bundle of toys he had flung on his back, And he looked like a peddler just opening his pack."
... and miracles he performed, including magic reindeer:
"So up to the house-top the coursers they flew, With the sleigh full of toys, and St. Nicholas too."
Not convinced yet? Maybe this will help delineate which criteria are to be used to determine which passages are to be taken literally and which metaphorically:
Background knowledge of boreal cultures is greatly helpful. The following should be considered:
1) Language development - dialects, idioms, parables, oral traditions, etc.
2) Literary development - genres, sub-genres, material availability, language development
3) Historical trends - social classes, religious, educational, agricultural, industrial, economic, political, military alliances and campaigns.
4) Environmental - population density, geographic region, topography (mountain, forest, etc.)
This list is not exhaustive by any means. It's simply a good place to start.
I hope that you found this compelling. If not, I ask you if you are looking for a collection of circumstantial evidence or a single piece of empirical evidence. If you'll accept nothing but empirical evidence, you're already limiting the amount and type of evidence to such a degree that the quality and quantity of evidence may not be enough. Of course I do believe this is the true M.O. of the internet Christian. Demand such a high quality with an 'a priori' assumption that such a standard can never be met to your satisfaction.
[Full disclosure: Some of the above may be plagiarized]
Thanks for the flattery!!:)

“Truth is beyond wavelength ”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#719075 Apr 22, 2014
<quoted text>
I care. It's not good for the neighborhood or the nation for the numbers of religious to be so high. Christian doctrine and faith based thinking damage people. It damages their intellect and character. It makes them submissive and easily demagogued. It teaches them to be nihilistic and misanthropic. It fosters magical thinking, promotes anti-intellectualism, teaches defective versions of love and spirituality, fosters a disregard for honesty, generates fear and guilt, and scapegoats and marginalizes various target groups including unbelievers, which it trains the faithful to despise.
No, I want to know what *specifically* makes them so bad in everyday life. I don't see Christians tackling non-believers in the grocery store and making them listen to "reason". Like I said in my last post, you can't get rid of belief systems (magical thinking) until we come up with some absolute answers to existence itself. So until then, you're wasting your time. You need to give them an alternative.

They're asking you to just believe that there is a God and you;re asking them to believe there just isn't a God. "Just isn't" isn't a good thing to bank on; you have to go with your own conviction.

I don't see you atheists "regarding honesty" very well either. Yea, like most of the lying politicians actually believe in God. They just say they do.

What do you know about love and spirituality? That was the last thing I would expect to hear from you is spirituality.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#719076 Apr 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Christians are the experts on OUR book. Stay out of it, atheist.
It's not your book any more than it's mine. The book belongs to the world.

As for asking you to stay out of it, it's not necessary. You're already out of it.

Location hidden

#719077 Apr 22, 2014
I'm sick? For objecting to organized religion and speaking against it?
Incidentally, you're a great example of what I was just referring to regarding people being trained to despise unbelievers. I given you no call to post to me like that. I've merely expressed my sincere opinions about the church.
You have been hostile from the outset, then call yourself a pacifist. That's passive-aggressive. It is reasonable for me to want there to be fewer people in the world like you and nanoanomaly, with whom you identified immediately. And who is more bellicose that she?.
<quoted text>
No, you *claim* I have been hostile. Now you're going to treat me just like you treat nano. It's pretty obvious. I don't despise unbelievers. I am not religious myself though I believe in a higher power in my own way. I don't despise anyone really, they will all get sorted out in the end. It's not unbelievers I lack appreciation for; it's people that don't play fair that I don't appreciate. You are the one that cares what people believe or not believe.
What we're doing is nothing like killing to make peace, and it's no different that what the church is doing. We're making a case in a great public debate. And yes, that makes perfectly good sense.
You can dispense with the faux pacifism now. You're here to fight. As I noted, you have been hostile to me without provocation, and defend others that are belligerents.
Without provocation? That's a lie. And I'm not hostile, I don't see me throwing around profanity or name calling. I'm just explaining my opinions. I'm here to point out that no one knows some of the ridiculous things the people on your side claim to be true.

You realize that Scrooge thinks that motion came from non-motion?(or something very similar). Why don't you reprimand him? You know that's a load of bull.

Location hidden

#719078 Apr 22, 2014
Jehovah Witnesses. They can be a nuisance but so are telemarketers. At least we can call the police on the JWs if they don't leave you alone, but we're still stuck with tele marketers. It's a constant battle trying to get the marketers to leave us alone.

How about we wage war against telemarketers? Cmon, IANS, I need a front man.

Fennario

#719079 Apr 22, 2014
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
When the christians attempted to steal Easter and modify it to their own purpose, the Pagans never completely let go of it.
It looks like they didn't let go of it at all, at least not in America. There's no Jesus in its Easter decorations and celebrations.

Here in Mexico, it's a Easter remains a Christian holiday - no bunnies or colored eggs, just scourgings, centurians, and crucifixions.

But we got a Wal.Mart here a few years ago, and they'll change that just like they're changing Christmas. The Mexicans didn't used to have Santa or Christmas lights five years ago, either, and now, thanks to Wal.Mart carrying all of that, and the general lust for all things northern, it's beginning to transform.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#719080 Apr 22, 2014
Ghost Writer 2 You wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh the irony. Coming from an atheist lawyer (pronounced L-I-A-R) who doesn't believe theists. LMAO
Check this out RR. You should be laughing about now.:)
HA HA!!!

" lawyer (pronounced L-I-A-R) "

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#719081 Apr 22, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
On average, every second post of yours contains a lie.
You're a hypocrite all the time.
Oh? What have I lied about?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#719082 Apr 22, 2014
You made a mistake. She's the perp, not the victim.
Oh ya, like you're Mr Innocent...

BenAdam wrote: If you were hit by a car, I would mourn the damage to the car.

IANS wrote: LOL. Whack! You could have her stains buffed out here in México for about $3.75 (50 pesos)- less if your car were brown.

“Faith = Trust”

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#719083 Apr 22, 2014
<quoted text>
As for asking you to stay out of it, it's not necessary. You're already out of it.
I keep issuing a challenge to atheists here and nobody has stepped up to the plate yet.

I wonder if you'd humor me and test your understanding. Care to give it a try?

Fennario

#719084 Apr 22, 2014
gort wrote:
“I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it.”
&#8213; Alice Walker, The Color Purple
Tyson alluded to that in the sixth episodes of Cosmos, when he referred to the advent of flowering plants (the angiosperms), before which, the landscape was all green and brown with mosses, ferns and conifers. He specifically dwelt on the color purple, but forgot to mention your god.

From a review of the episode at http://evolution.about.com/od/Cosmos/fl/Cosmo...

"Next, he’s walking through a field of flowers and says it’s hard to imagine, but plants were around for hundreds of millions of years before they produced their first flowers. This happened about 100 million years ago – just before the dinosaurs were wiped out. Tyson says the world must have been a drab place dominated by shades of green and brown, but not the purple of an iris or the crimson of a red rose."

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#719085 Apr 22, 2014

I care. It's not good for the neighborhood or the nation for the numbers of religious to be so high.

It's worked well for America for over 200 years...
Christian doctrine and faith based thinking damage people.

Wait, what?
It damages their intellect and character.

Wait, what?
It makes them submissive and easily demagogued.

Wait, what?
It teaches them to be nihilistic and misanthropic.{SNIP}
Wait, what?!?

nihilistic
adjective
rejecting all religious and moral principles in the belief that life is meaningless.

Christianity teaches that?!

misanthropic
adjective
disliking humankind and avoiding human society.

Christianity teaches that?!

You're nuts, dude. Absolutely nuts.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#719086 Apr 22, 2014
Pokay wrote:
Jehovah Witnesses. They can be a nuisance but so are telemarketers. At least we can call the police on the JWs if they don't leave you alone, but we're still stuck with tele marketers. It's a constant battle trying to get the marketers to leave us alone.

How about we wage war against telemarketers? Cmon, IANS, I need a front man.
It's called a do-not-call list.

Location hidden

#719087 Apr 22, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are full of it Pokay. What the heck has happened to you in the couple of years since I last talked to you on Topixs? You used to be interested in things, never took sides even tho you said you did have one experience that made you ask questions. Believe me I have not forgotten you.
Now you pick one Topix bully to hide beneath their skirts as the two of you go your rounds of threads. You talk about going back 100 pages but go back a couple of years and see who is the bully. And you want to be a part of that. Shame on you. You are no longer the pacifist, peace maker you say you are.
I think you are blinded by your hatred for the religious. I'm not really taking sides. I don't care who wants to believe or not believe. What I am seeing here is people that care who believes, so much so that they would like to see the believers all burn at the stake. Does that not make them equal tho opposite from the Puritanical witch burners a century or two ago? Shame on me for what? I'm not defending religion. I'm defending everyone's right to believe what they want. What's wrong with that?

I never condoned the religious side for some of the way they treat your side either, but they are not the ones that give me a hard time about my belief that it's likely that dimension is an illusion, and that consciousness remains every bit a mystery, and that there is no evidence as to how motion or energy ever came into being as ooposed to always being. THAT is why I argue with your side. That's the only reason. Wake up there sweets.

So what reason do I have to argue with them? Cmon, sweets, it's not that hard to understand.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#719088 Apr 22, 2014
LOL. The numbers of us that have expressed an extreme dislike of her to the point of joking about her demise seems to be growing.
Argumentum ad populum.

Hypocrite.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#719089 Apr 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
What was I hypocritical about?

What did I lie about?

Answer those questions or you are the liar.
Aerobatty wrote:
GFY.
I see you have nothing to stand on.

Very well, liar.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#719090 Apr 22, 2014
<quoted text>
The plot thickens.....

Jews are the expert on the Torah and the Torah is the Jew's book, but the Christian Bible is not the Christian's Bible, it's the world's Bible and Christians are not the experts on it, atheists are.

Interesting...

So is the book of Mormon also the world's book?

Is it Quran also the world's book?

Or is it just Christianity that you hate?

I mean, "the church"....

Location hidden

#719091 Apr 22, 2014
Did you guys all get that? Let me repeat. I am not religious. I argue with the atheists, not because I despise them (most of my friends are atheists), I argue with the atheists because they are the ones that insist that I am wrong when I say we don't have a clue as to origins of energy or of consciousness.

The religious side doesn't give me a hard time with what I say. The religious don't misrepresent science in order to try making it look like I don't have a point. They pretty much ignore science. Which I don't agree with either, but it doesn't bother me that they believe what they believe. It bothers me that you atheists misrepresent science when it suits your agenda.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#719092 Apr 22, 2014
It looks like they didn't let go of it at all, at least not in America. There's no Jesus in its Easter decorations and celebrations.
Lies, damn lies.

Nearly every Christian church has some kind of resurrection celebration, most of them do it in the form of a play, depicting Jesus dying on the cross and resurrecting three days later.

Your flat out lying saying there's no Jesus in Easter celebrations.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min kent 653,691
You are of your father......THE DEVIL. 14 min Knock off purse s... 21
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 19 min Dr Banonator 63,435
Fedz Pimping Poison Meat - Don't Buy 1 hr HiddnNumbrz 1
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 hr Rosa_Winkel 106,478
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 2 hr WasteWater 2,568
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 2 hr Classic 3,797
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 5 hr LAWEST100 618,751
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 6 hr Pegasus 281,841
More from around the web