Prove there's a god.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#715538 Apr 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, a few. They weren't anything big time, they were local competitions amongst the residents of the towns. I played a bunch of times in a mountain resort community here called Big Bear Lake.
I never had a chance to play female contestants, honestly I've never known any female that knows how to play chess.
<quoted text>
In a Christian dominated society, a prayer to God is in order.
In a Muslim dominated to society, a prayer to Allah is in order.
In a Hindu dominated society, a prayer to Vishnu is in order.
In an atheist dominated society, I suppose a moment of silence would be in order, if they wanted to recognize their version of a prayer. Don't know why they would.
Lolz. So you only competed in chest tournaments with all male competitors? Interesting.

I have a great love for the game. Played since I was four; I was a prodigy. Went to my first National Championships at the ripe old age of 8. Sadly, I did not make team. This was in the years just following Apartheid and strict quotas were adhered to - black players were selected ahead of white players. Was very sad, but even then I was not bitter: It was affirmative action. For 80 years they could not make it to the championships due to skin colour. I am happy to report, however, that these quotas have been lifted.

Anyways, I have taught some chess class, but I had to do that during my lunch hour at work. Fun, but tight schedule. Currently, I am coaching my 9 year old half sister; she made the South African team just last week. Finished fifth for u/10 girls. World Championships coming up in December

“CHRISTIANITYIS AMENTAL DISEASE”

Since: May 10

"---TOO BAD IT'S NOT FATAL"

#715539 Apr 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The closest thing we get from the Bible is in Isaiah; "He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to Him, nothing in His appearance that we should desire Him.”
Basically it's saying that Jesus was ordinary looking, a regular, lowly man without any emblems of royalty.
Ghost Writer 2 You wrote:
<quoted text>
And then it goes on to say that Jesus as He went to the cross was beaten past the point of recognition, which would be consistent with what we know of Roman crucifixions.
So, are you saying they could have grabbed anyone, accused him of being jesus, then beaten the shit out of him and crucified him, and nobody would have known the difference?
<quoted text> I often wondered the very same thing Kaitlin wonders about why appearances of Jesus were never mentioned. I got my answer surprisingly from an agnostic English literature professor who knew 8 languages and a history of writing styles in those languages. Basically stated, she said that physical appearances weren't really all that important in ancient writing. They just weren't usually a portion of the narrative.
They shoulda been. It would have lent some credibility to the tale.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#715540 Apr 13, 2014
Angel wrote:
Nothing you say will bother, upset, or get at me.:) However, I will pray for you.
Spend time praying for me all you want, in the meantime, I'll think for you.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#715541 Apr 13, 2014
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
Then they weren't witches.
Kind of like the way you tell me that the three guys who broke into my home weren't real christians.
Further evidence that they were fakes. Real witches never make such claims.
In Streheria, it's said that Aradia can grant a Witch the ability to communicate with the dead.

Why wouldn't a that girl I knew be able to? What makes her fake?

Do I have that right?
I'm pretty active in the pagan community, and I don't know one person who even owns an Ouija board. As a matter of fact, in all my years of stregheria I've never found one good use for one other than as a kitchen cutting board.

Only if you can get it for free.

Waaasssuuup would certainly disagree, but then he's...well, he's waaasssuuup; what more can be said?

Yeah well, he also says that Catholics aren't Christians, so I've learned not to take very much of what he says to heart.
There's no real way to tell, is there? Oh well.
That's why it's called a belief....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#715542 Apr 13, 2014
<quoted text>
And then it goes on to say that Jesus as He went to the cross was beaten past the point of recognition, which would be consistent with what we know of Roman crucifixions. I often wondered the very same thing Kaitlin wonders about why appearances of Jesus were never mentioned. I got my answer surprisingly from an agnostic English literature professor who knew 8 languages and a history of writing styles in those languages. Basically stated, she said that physical appearances weren't really all that important in ancient writing. They just weren't usually a portion of the narrative. The printing press hadn't been invented yet, and everything was written by hand. In those days, what a person did was more important than how they looked. We were discussing ancient genres of writing and a fellow student asked that very question of the gospels. I was impressed that the professor was able to answer with a number of sources backing up what she said. I wish I still had my notes from that class.
Interesting. You know, I've wondered that too, about why there's hardly any physical descriptions of anybody in the Bible.

I think the paintings of the white, brown hair, blue-eyed Jesus are funny. He was Jewish, born in the middle east. He probably looked like the guys at 7-11...

Without the towel, of course.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#715543 Apr 13, 2014
But you keep telling me I believe in gods, when I clearly do not.
I thought you did, I don't anymore.
Yes, I am. There are many, many, many different varieties of stregheria, just as there are of christianity. I do not adhere to every single belief. For example, my family's tradition is far different from what's practices by Sicilians. "Stregheria" is a generic term.
Oh. Well shit, you could've just said that to begin with. I'm virtually ignorant of Stregheria.

I didn't know they were many different varieties of it. Is there a specific one that you follow?
Exactly. But the god of the bible was invented by a human or a committee of humans.
Why? Why do you continue to post this opinion of yours as if it's a fact?
Okay, alright, touché
Thank you.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#715544 Apr 13, 2014
Anon wrote:
Actually, no. I simply don't feel the need to start anything with a prayer. It has nothing to do with the efficacy of prayer: I see it as a ritual which really has no purpose other than to hold up the proceedings. Do what you came to do and get on with it...
I understand that you don't feel the need to start anything with a prayer, that's fine that's your opinion.

There are many reasons why Christians begin something with a prayer. For example, saying grace before a meal as our way of thanking God for providing us with the food in front of us, or at least providing us with the means to get that food. It goes back to the Bible, Jesus prayed before meals:

"And when he had said these things, he took bread, and giving thanks to God in the presence of all he broke it and began to eat."

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#715545 Apr 13, 2014
thewordofme wrote:
Cheeto....?
Yes please.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#715546 Apr 13, 2014
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Lolz. So you only competed in chest tournaments with all male competitors? Interesting.
I have a great love for the game. Played since I was four; I was a prodigy. Went to my first National Championships at the ripe old age of 8. Sadly, I did not make team. This was in the years just following Apartheid and strict quotas were adhered to - black players were selected ahead of white players. Was very sad, but even then I was not bitter: It was affirmative action. For 80 years they could not make it to the championships due to skin colour. I am happy to report, however, that these quotas have been lifted.
Anyways, I have taught some chess class, but I had to do that during my lunch hour at work. Fun, but tight schedule. Currently, I am coaching my 9 year old half sister; she made the South African team just last week. Finished fifth for u/10 girls. World Championships coming up in December
Holy crap. You definitely have a lot more experience in the game of chess than I do. I've always had an affinity for the game, but never went into any kind of national championship, or even local championship. When I played it was really just for bragging rights.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#715547 Apr 13, 2014
So, are you saying they could have grabbed anyone, accused him of being jesus, then beaten the shit out of him and crucified him, and nobody would have known the difference?
God would've.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#715548 Apr 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Just honoring God, just giving Him kudos...
Right - because - deities need kudos.

Otherwise, they might start feeling less than appreciated in the void outside of space and time in which they've lived eternally with no beginning~/.

“Faith = Trust”

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#715549 Apr 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Holy crap. You definitely have a lot more experience in the game of chess than I do. I've always had an affinity for the game, but never went into any kind of national championship, or even local championship. When I played it was really just for bragging rights.
Same here. I love to play but could never play at championship level. Did you ever see the movie "Searching for Bobby Fischer?" We usually played "fives"- whoever lost owed the winner $5.00.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Evolution is true.....

#715550 Apr 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
God would've.
God couldn't even find Adam and Eve hiding behind the palm fronds....

:-)

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Evolution is true.....

#715551 Apr 13, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Otherwise, they might start feeling less than appreciated in the void outside of space and time in which they've lived eternally with no beginning~/.
It's lonely at the top....up there....:-)

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#715552 Apr 13, 2014
scaritual wrote:
Why do you think God "needs" kudos?

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#715553 Apr 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The closest thing we get from the Bible is in Isaiah; "He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to Him, nothing in His appearance that we should desire Him.”
Basically it's saying that Jesus was ordinary looking, a regular, lowly man without any emblems of royalty.
I think that may have been a description of my shop teacher in high school, Mr. Green~/.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#715554 Apr 13, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that may have been a description of my shop teacher in high school, Mr. Green~/.
Wow, you went to high school a long ass time ago.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#715555 Apr 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think God "needs" kudos?
I know, I know, I know, you're giving your deity respect.

But according to the bible, the mythic deity does require respect, or "kudos" as you put it.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#715556 Apr 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, you went to high school a long ass time ago.
You think that observation you just made = in import - doesn't apply to the Jesus! deity too?

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#715557 Apr 13, 2014
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
It's lonely at the top....up there....:-)
Yeah, the deity sat around for billions upon billions X billions of years, before one day(okay, it hadn't invented days yet) it thought(a time dependent process)...

<the god> "I'M SO LONELY, IMMA MAKE ME A UNIVERSE AND STUFF! THEN I CAN GET ME SOME WORSHIP!"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 5 min andet1987 6,316
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min Robert F 600,178
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 11 min MUQ2 40,904
No one should blaspheme Prophet Mohammad, peace... 25 min MUQ2 840
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 30 min Charlie Sheen 272,443
Middle aged man prefers wearing women's PANTIES 42 min andet1987 2
9/11&bin 1 hr REV CAROL 1
The Christian Atheist debate 3 hr ChristineM 2,081
Sleeping with mother (Oct '13) 4 hr Malcolm 46
More from around the web