Prove there's a god.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#715318 Apr 12, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
insane claim that all the bad things that have happened in the "history of mankind" are caused by Christianity.
That's crazy talk. You don't believe that the volcano Vesuvius that buried Pompeii in 79 AD can be blamed on Christianity, do you?

Unless you believe that the Christian exists. If so, you can blame it on him. Otherwise, no.

Fennario

#715319 Apr 12, 2014
Double Fine wrote:
Leary was a great man. Tortured after his son's death, though.
Agreed
Double Fine wrote:
Counter_Strike is dead?? When? How?
Last year. We heard about it on "Why Should Jesus Love Me?" but I never heard how. I believe that it was sudden and unexpected - perhaps a burst aneurysm or an automobile accident. He didn't seem suicidal or at risk for a drug death, and we probably would have heard about a murder.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#715320 Apr 12, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =hfFIce96RN4XX
Raven Hair, Ruby Lips
Sparks Fly From Her
Finger Tips..
The Eagles without Joe Walsh is like The Band without Robbie Robertson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch...

Fennario

#715321 Apr 12, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
For while I was posting on the Flying Spaghetti Monster forum The administrator was called Aunt Dee Dee. A rather remarkable individual. She had been suffering from cancer for years and was in poor health. A few years ago the cancer suddenly became very aggressive. She died not long after. Another person known to me only through the Internet, but one I considered a friend. Her passing saddened me.
I consider my Internet friends like my other friends that I only experience through the Internet, which now includes most of the people I know in America. Sure, I knew them face-to-face once, but that doesn't seem to matter now.

I consider you a friend even though we've never been in the same space at the same time to my knowledge.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#715322 Apr 12, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
FB dropped in on one of the threads about 6 months ago? Anyway, he made a comment and haven't seen him since.
About the time he became scarce, he said he was having to spend more time on family matters. I think it had to do mostly with his parents, who were getting quite old.

Good to hear, though, that he is still with us.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#715323 Apr 12, 2014
PBS has a new 3 part series about Neil Shubin called "Your Inner Fish". The first part aired the other day and is now available online. It is, IMHO, worth watching.

Oh...and a new Cosmos (part 6 I think) tomorrow. Which means it will be online in a few days.

“First it steals your mind..”

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#715324 Apr 12, 2014
Ghost Writer 2 You wrote:
<quoted text>
I think atheists and pagans have a common bond, and unfortunately I have to admit that some groups and individuals who call themselves Christians have been the cause of this comfortable alliance. There are dummies in every possible human grouping. Christians have done as much harm as they have done good. Unfortunately, the human mind tends to focus on the negative. It's a fact of life. And once the mind has been wounded by the actions of a specific human group, it tends to lose sight of any good that has been done by the same group. The fact that you and Kaitlin get along so well is largely due to our (collectively) irresponsible and self-righteous abuse towards those who are different. I gotta be honest about it.
There is that, I would agree. The other thing which I feel is a factor, is that we (meaning our groups) feels no threat towards each other. I know quite a few pagans; I do not see them inserting their beliefs into science class. I don't see them banning abortion or resisting gay marriage. I don't see them picketing funerals or lying for their cause. Of course, I may be wrong, but that i he peception. Conversely, I do not think that the Pagans feels any threat from us atheists; we would not force them into our ways of thinking and doing. Again, I may be wrong about this, but that is the feeling I get. All I know is that no atheist I know would ever hold a gun on someone for having a different set of beliefs, nor do I feel any Pagan I have met would.

I suppose the fact that Christianity and Islam are such large religious groups, it is inevitable that one woukd see bad apples in the bunch. I know thousands of Christians; only a few are those I would genuinely fear were they ever given significant political power. I know hundreds of Muslims; never met one who I thought is a candidate for a suicide bombing.

The other lesson that I feel followers of mainstream religions should learn, is to drop the egocentrical view they have of their own beliefs. Most Pagans I know would not even register a comment by an atheist that claims no god exists.

Also, I think this alliance turned friendship between atheists and Pagans also shows that although we can be vastly different in opinion, yet we can get along without wanting to step on each other's toes. If the Mid East were full of atheists and Pagans, there would be no war. Rampant orgies, yes. But no war.

If I can put it this way: I would not feel one bit threatened living as part of a minority group in a modern Pagan nation.

Makes sense?

#715325 Apr 12, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed
<quoted text>
Last year. We heard about it on "Why Should Jesus Love Me?" but I never heard how. I believe that it was sudden and unexpected - perhaps a burst aneurysm or an automobile accident. He didn't seem suicidal or at risk for a drug death, and we probably would have heard about a murder.
Very unfortunate, indeed. I have spent some time in the WSJLM thread, but not to debate. Some of the okder ladies there have taken a liking to me and I like them right back. So I would just show up, say hi, ask how things are going and then gead back out. So I do know counter_strike. Very unfortubate to hear. May he rest in peace.

#715326 Apr 12, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I consider my Internet friends like my other friends that I only experience through the Internet, which now includes most of the people I know in America. Sure, I knew them face-to-face once, but that doesn't seem to matter now.
I consider you a friend even though we've never been in the same space at the same time to my knowledge.
Truth be told, I would not mind meeting anyone I am on good terms with, on here. Since I am so far away, that makes it a bit hard, but if I ever travel to any of my friendlies' neck of the woods, I would definitely go shake a hand, if they'll have me. Likewise, anyone on my list of friendlies can tell me that they are coming to SA and I shall extend an invite.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#715327 Apr 12, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of Depends. Has this thought crossed your mind?
Scenario: RR is lying in his hospital bed and his two gay sons come to visit with their African American spouses.
"Hey Dad, how you feeling? Is Doctor River treating you OK?"
OH Hell.
Can I drive the hearse?

Location hidden

#715328 Apr 12, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
PBS has a new 3 part series about Neil Shubin called "Your Inner Fish". The first part aired the other day and is now available online. It is, IMHO, worth watching.
Oh...and a new Cosmos (part 6 I think) tomorrow. Which means it will be online in a few days.
I saw the first fish show.

Location hidden

#715329 Apr 12, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove there's a god.
It touched him and told him that dinosaurs have no DNA.

Oh yeah, and dinosaurs were atheist.

Christians buy their own condoms when they're 16.

Sex is OTay if it's between two married white people.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#715330 Apr 12, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>It touched him and told him that dinosaurs have no DNA.

Oh yeah, and dinosaurs were atheist.

Christians buy their own condoms when they're 16.

Sex is OTay if it's between two married white people.
Well, I'm convinced :/

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#715331 Apr 12, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
ooo lala. A threat.
You can't even defend yourself from a woman, there's no chance in hell you could defend yourself from me.
Why are you wonder woman?

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#715332 Apr 12, 2014
Angel wrote:
I know God is real because I have felt his Spirit fill me. It isn't because of what I was raised being told. Since I was very young, I have had many experiences of the spirit filling me and it is the happiest, most fulfilling experience you could ever imagine. If I feel the spirit and I honestly tell you that I do, but you do not believe me then that is not my problem. It is your problem. This spirit that I speak of has literally brought me to my knees the many times that I have experienced it. No one can tell me or convince me that it God is not real because they cannot take away that feeling that I have experienced. I cannot prove he is real. All I can do is tell you from complete experience that he is real.
So you were sexually abused by god?

Fennario

#715333 Apr 12, 2014
Ghost Writer 2 You wrote:
The only thing a fundie has in common with a secular layperson is that they both interpret the bible in a literal manner. To them, what the text says is what it means. Very little room for understanding metaphor and cultural/historical concepts.
If you treat the bible the same way you do other anthropogenic literature, you shouldn't expect others to do differently.

Is the bible filled with the words of a god, of men, or both? To those who say a god, I ask why it should need to be interpreted from the perspective of any particular time. Why isn't it timeless and universal?

To those who say that men had a hand in it in part or whole, I ask why I should pay any more attention to its contents than I do to the Iliad.

I'm happy to consider the bible literally or metaphorically, but not both according to the whims of apologists. Once you open the door to subjective interpretation according to ad hoc rules applied inconsistently, you can't claim that book has any definite meaning, or that your choices of what is metaphor and what is not is any more valid that any other.

If I choose to interpret resurrection as a metaphor for the rebirth of reason - the Renaissance and Enlightenment - who has the authority to tell me that I am wrong?

If I call the god archetype in the book an intuition of man's distant future - that man is sensing his future self, ever more godlike as he evolves - who that is calling the creation myth a metaphor can say that I am wrong? Only a literalist can.

Location hidden

#715334 Apr 12, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
So you were sexually abused by god?
Wouldn't be the first time would it, Mary?
ROCCO

Indio, CA

#715335 Apr 12, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
I completely agree with you, "Your Inner Fish" is well worth the time.

Great program!

Fennario

#715336 Apr 12, 2014
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
RR, I would like to share with you some late night musing I have had. I would like to see Ghost Writer give his opinion, as well. Kaitlin, if you are reading, feel free to give your input, as well.
I have known Kaitlin for almost 3 years. During that time, as I got to know her, is became apparent that there are not one, but several differences between myself and Kaito. To name a few:
- I am atheist, she is pagan
- She leans conservative, I lean liberal
- Death Penalty
- Gun control
- US foreign policy
- US financial policy
When it comes to common ground, she probably has more things in common with you than she does me. But why do you think that myself, as well as the vast majortiy of atheists (you would agree, we are a left leaning group) have absolutely no beef with Kaitlin? As for myself, I have known her for three years. I can honestly state that there have not been one unkind exchange between us. Not one. Not even as much snarky response. You can ask her. Hostilities between myself and Kait is as unlikely as flying monkeys.
Same with BenAdam. He may have more in common with most of the atheists on here in terms of political viewpoints, he is a person that still believes in a deity. Again, not one bad post between us, nor can I remember any aggression from him to other atheists.
Why do you think this is? Why do you think that us atheists are better able to befriend posters like Kait, BenAdam, Joe Fortuna, etc? Is it just because we all have an axe to grind with your religion? Is it because you are too sensitive about your beliefs? Does the problem lie with your ideology?
Good question.

Riverside Redneck and many others would answer that it is because we selectively hate and persecute Christians from among all types of believers for no reason.
ROCCO

Indio, CA

#715337 Apr 12, 2014
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Truth be told, I would not mind meeting anyone I am on good terms with, on here. Since I am so far away, that makes it a bit hard, but if I ever travel to any of my friendlies' neck of the woods, I would definitely go shake a hand, if they'll have me. Likewise, anyone on my list of friendlies can tell me that they are coming to SA and I shall extend an invite.
I have three friends sailing out of New York this coming Thursday. I believe their ship arrives in Durban Sunday? One of them is actually an émigré from SA circa 1985. Nice, fun people. Let me know if I should arrange connections with you. I can communicate with you in detail via my registered ID.

Be well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 6 min WasteWater 104,709
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 9 min Joe Fortuna 38,270
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 9 min RoSesz 641,616
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 19 min good true observa... 618,402
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 26 min onemale 280,894
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 29 min good true observa... 44,391
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 35 min X Pendable 182,288
More from around the web