“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#714391 Apr 10, 2014
Ghost Writer 2 You wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes there are plenty of studies. And the majority of them focus on identification of individuals engaged in criminal activities. That's a criminal procedure issue, and not a historicity issue. The criteria for assessing reliability are not the same because with history, there's no penalty. The criminal justice system demands a much higher standard because a person's life and/or liberty are at stake. That's exactly why citing jury instructions DOES cut it. History isn't held to the same high standard of eye-witness testimony as what is found in the legal system. It just isn't. I work with documents all the time determining their historical credibility. Do you?
<quoted text>
It's much more reliable than you think in matters of history. And I'm not talking about the testimony of suspects either. Are you telling me that if you were a constant companion of somebody you really liked as a teacher, guru, mentor, etc, etc. for three years, and that person was violently put to death; that you wouldn't remember it? Gimme a break!
<quoted text>
You shouldn't consider it to be unreliable. Nor should you consider it to be unreliable. You should approach it from a neutral perspective as much as possible. I don't expect quoting the Bible to convince you of anything. You obviously don't want to be convinced. However, I'll challenge you to bring your best reasoning forward to counter my next post. I'll focus solely on the books by Luke. Gospel of Luke, and Acts. And I'll only consider the prologue of each. Deal?
<quoted text>
Let me share a little inside secret with you regarding historical research:
NOBODY who seriously studies or works professionally with historical research does so without bias. It's naive to think anyone does. And having bias doesn't necessarily mean that somebody is going to dishonestly distort facts. Historians have very specific criteria they use to neutralize bias as much as possible. But to think that ALL bias can be eliminated from historical research and writing? Not a chance.
The gospels were written by unknown authors, taken from stories not known to be entirely accurate and were not drawn from the original source material.

That's not my opinion, that's the scholarly consensus.

“Religion kills”

Since: Jun 13

Down Under

#714392 Apr 10, 2014
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
:)
Baie dankie. Ek het van vroeg af Engels geleer en het beide Afrikaans en Engels op skool gehad. Ek het op universiteit in Engels klas gehad en moes toe oorslaan na die nuwe medium. Toe ek begin werk het, moes ek tegniese verslae skryf en dit het my Engels heelwat verbeter. Ek is miskien nie 'n Shakespeare of Stepehen King nie, maar ek dink my taalgebruik is darem goed
Goed genoeg :-).

Ek veronderstel al die skool kinders word geleer om Engels en Afrikaans. Dit sou dieselfde gewees het hier, as die Hollanders het besluit om meer te doen met hul New Holland.

“Religion kills”

Down Under

#714393 Apr 10, 2014
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Hitchens was great. His logic was one thing; his ability to say the right thing was unbeatable.
I must admit, I prefer Dawkins, but not over his being part of the "Four Horsemen" and his related philosophical thinking. I like him for his work. He knows a hell of a lot about marine biology, a subject that has always fascinated me.
Dawkins was known as a great scientist, long before the "New Atheists" thing started.

“Religion kills”

Down Under

#714394 Apr 10, 2014
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
German brains, Brazilian looks and Aussie temperament?
Achtung!!

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#714395 Apr 10, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
The gospels were written by unknown authors, taken from stories not known to be entirely accurate and were not drawn from the original source material.
That's not my opinion, that's the scholarly consensus.
GW doesn't seem to get this. He has considerable cognitive bias where the Bible is concerned.

“Religion kills”

Down Under

#714396 Apr 10, 2014
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Just a question. Is it really so big for African Americans to go and visit Africa? I have heard that it is to them almost like a journey to Mecca is to the Muslims. Is this true?
I have read that it was for Alex Haley. He was greatly welcomed by the black people from the area his ancestors came from.

“Religion kills”

Down Under

#714397 Apr 10, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Can I pick me?
I have no Spanish or Australian heritage either.
Mayan/Aryan, relocated.
Hate to burst your bubble, Luci. But the Aryans are actually Persian, not German.

http://www.iranchamber.com/people/articles/ar...
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/374...
http://archaeology.about.com/od/indusriverciv...

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#714398 Apr 10, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet he was raised a christian. Odd.
Satanism is just another variation on Christianity.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#714399 Apr 10, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Professor.
Sorry, I am just fed up stepping around the dog droppings that call themselves Christians. Decided to just rub their own noses in it for change.
They are too demented to reason with.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#714400 Apr 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So were you.
By your logic, because you your self was raised a Christian, that means you ARE a Christian.
Are you a Christian?
She is a far better follower of what Jesus taught than you.

“Religion kills”

Down Under

#714401 Apr 10, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Kamikaze pilots died for what they believed in.
Cult members at Jonestown died for what they believed in.
People often die for what they believe in.
That does not mean they were right.
It does not mean that the death was indicative of a truth.
It does not mean that they are a god.
It just means they died.
That's very true. They died for noble cause sometimes, eg William Wallace.

“Religion kills”

Down Under

#714402 Apr 10, 2014
andet1987 wrote:
<quoted text>
yes he did. if it found in Wikipedia, then that means, he existed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus
Here are a few Wikipedia "biographies" for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Mouse
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Duck
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goofy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_bird
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_Simpson

“Hello Darlings!”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#714403 Apr 10, 2014
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
Lots and lots of Pagans.

Paganism is making a comeback, particularly with disenfranchised christians.

Religion fills a void with a lot of people. It helps them to cope.

But when they start imposing it on other people against their will, like the christians and the muslims do, then it becomes truly detrimental to society.
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Fair enough. It would be nice if those who need their voids filled with religion, understood that not everyone has that need.
Pagans *do* understand that; we understand that everyone has to find their own path, not have it imposed on them; otherwise, it isn't really their path.

The only ones who don't seem to understand that are the christians and the muslims.

“Hello Darlings!”

Location hidden

#714404 Apr 10, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
Topix won't interpret the link properly.
Try this:
https://www.google.com/search...
Wow.

Down a cobblestone road? Better than a vibrator!

“Religion kills”

Down Under

#714405 Apr 10, 2014
<quoted text>
Lucifer means "light bearer." It's the damn christians who turned him into a "devil."
Gods of the old religions are always turned into the devils of the new religions.
Yes, and in Roman mythology he was the goddess Diana's brother.

“Hello Darlings!”

Location hidden

#714406 Apr 10, 2014
Susie D wrote:
And you are expecting me to take your word on this? You word is just that.. YOURS.. I mean if I noticed you had honesty and intergrity when you post, I would consider what you said, however, I have yet to see any of this.. then again, we still have time
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You're questioning another poster's integrity? Seriously? After your recent exhibition? Have you no sense of yourself?
Susie sees herself as a good little christian prom queen, with a plastic tiara and a pink ball gown, who can do no wrong. Jesus forgives her for all her lies, y'know. That's why she feels no need to stop lying.

Since: Sep 10

United States

#714407 Apr 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So were you.
By your logic, because you your self was raised a Christian, that means you ARE a Christian.
Are you a Christian?
No, PhelpsLite, never have been.

Enjoy the dust.

Washington, D.C. Is beautiful on this spring night.

“Hello Darlings!”

Location hidden

#714408 Apr 10, 2014
<quoted text>
What do they have to gain by doing so?
I mean, I understand what christians have to gain by imposing their religion on people who don't want it; what do atheists have to gain by "imposing" their absence of belief on others?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"There is no God" is not the absence of belief, it's a belief.
It is a declarative statement of non-belief. You know that. You just refuse to admit it, because it would weaken your faith even more.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>"Religion poisons everything" is not an absence of belief, it's a belief.
It is a declarative statement.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Militant atheism will do what it's always done, kill religious people and destroy or shut down places of worship.
Militant religionists will do what *they* have done; killing people who disagree with them and destroying or shutting down bookstores and libraries they don't like. And they tell themselves they're doing it for their god.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>That's the doctrine of atheism, militant atheism. There are posters here on this very site that I believe would do exactly what Stalin did, given the power that he had.
As would the vast majority of Topix christians.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"Without God, everything is permissible" is not an absence of belief, it's a belief.
You just made that up. You know you did.

I like this one better: "Without God, people take responsibility for their own actions."

Unlike you and waaasssuuup.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#714409 Apr 10, 2014
<quoted text>
Wow.
Down a cobblestone road? Better than a vibrator!
Actually the spring suspension gave both cars and wagons a pretty decent ride.
The wood wheels also tended to flex while metal ones bent and cracked.

“Hello Darlings!”

Location hidden

#714410 Apr 10, 2014
I showed you what your myth is based on. You don't get to deny that. You didn't show me anything that proved me "wrong," all you gave was your biased opinion.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
HA HA!!
This is a perfect example of the pot calling the kettle black.
It is?

How so?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min Oxbow 543,226
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 min New Age Spiritual... 227,966
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 min KiMare 95,551
This ~ or ~ That? (game) (Dec '12) 4 min Bev Jamison 1,505
Last Word + 2 6 min Bev Jamison 760
Word association game (Aug '08) 7 min Bev Jamison 53,354
Women fighting on the front lines 11 min Bev Jamison 5
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 50 min bad bob 173,886
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr WasteWater 259,761
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 3 hr Joana 158

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••