Prove there's a god.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#713830 Apr 9, 2014
andet1987 wrote:
<quoted text>yes he did. if it found in Wikipedia, then that means, he existed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus
http://cdn.themetapicture.com/media/funny-dea...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#713831 Apr 9, 2014
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
Is there a jesus day? Is that the one you call "christmas"---the celebration of the Winter Solstice?
Yes, that would be the "Jesus day", Christmas.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#713832 Apr 9, 2014
Freebird USA wrote:
Dawkins is angry at religion.
You say that as an extreme dislike for organized religion is unjustified or inappropriate. It's not necessary to get angry at individual believer for believing.

But it is perfectly reasonable to view organized religion as you would something like leukemia, that is, consider it a bad thing for the world, and to be willing to work to diminish the damage it does as much as possible. Believers don't really have a right to more - not without making a convincing case against the argument that the church imposes.

When asked what benefit the church offers in return for all of the division, shame, blame, guilt, fear, scapegoating, angry judgment, and anti-intellectualism that it leaves behind, for starters, the usual response is that the church is teaches strong moral character, is very charitable, or and/or is correct about heaven and hell - claims that are more easily made than demonstrated. In the end, it offers nothing except false hope and easy self-forgiveness, items of questionable value.

I understand that faith based thinkers will not be convinced by our arguments either, but that's fine. We understand that, and according to the religious identification surveys of the last quarter century, we seem to be making good progress anyway.

But back to Dawkins, I find that he is fully justified in his opinions - opinions that many of us share. And we don't mind if faith based thinkers prefer to call that anger. Maybe that's what it is.

How do you feel about the Catholic pedophile problem? The Catholics don't seem to be interested in it beyond damage control, and the governments of the world seem to be indifferent except to deal with accused priests on a one-by-one basis and on the Vatican's terms. I'm pretty sure that if this were a pedophile syndicate headquartered in Thailand rather than the Vatican, that it would be raided and closed down by force.

Some of us resent the special treatment that religion gets. It seems to get a pass that it doesn't deserve. Doesn't that alone justify a degree of frustration and resentment?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#713833 Apr 9, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I just heard of this man and this quote from him on the subject of skepticism on episode 5 of the new Cosmos. The last sentence addresses your point about self-skepticism:
“The seeker after truth is not one who studies the writings of the ancients and, following his natural disposition, puts his trust in them, but rather the one who suspects his faith in them and questions what he gathers from them, the one who submits to argument and demonstration and not the sayings of human beings whose nature is fraught with all kinds of imperfection and deficiency. Thus the duty of the man who investigates the writings of scientists, if learning the truth is his goal, is to make himself an enemy of all that he reads, and, applying his mind to the core and margins of of its content, attack it from every side. he should also suspect himself as he performs his critical examination of it, so that he may avoid falling into either prejudice or leniency.”- Ibn al-Haytham
There's that religious man that basically started modern science, Ibn.

'Twas a good episide of the Cosmos.

Fennario

#713834 Apr 9, 2014
Christian "evidence" is nothing more than a desire to believe. You have no evidence. If you did, you would no longer have faith---and faith is the foundation of your religion.
Exactly. We just saw what William Lane Craig called fact - conclusions based on the testimony of anonymous biblical age personnel.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#713835 Apr 9, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
People move to other countries ya know.
Then you're a Brazilian that happens to not live in Brazil.

Why announce yourself as an Australian then?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#713836 Apr 9, 2014
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
You dish it out yourself like a rabid dog....so don't cry when it returns to you.
I don't dish out lies.

Try again.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#713837 Apr 9, 2014
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
How silly tomorrow we win. The atomar catastrophe will overcome humanity and destroy it for sure. The planet earth will become a whole Radiation. So that`s will win.
A whole radiation?

Wow.

Fennario

#713838 Apr 9, 2014
<quoted text>
Witchy Woman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =vAIAXk0z0lIXX
Black Magic Woman
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Spooky

Season of the Witch

Location hidden

#713840 Apr 9, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, that would be the "Jesus day", Christmas.
http://777denny.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/s...

Location hidden

#713841 Apr 9, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Then you're a Brazilian that happens to not live in Brazil.

Why announce yourself as an Australian then?
I kinda feel Aussie. Might be due to having been here three times and a half longer than where I was born. I'm acclimatised and whatnot.

Fennario

#713842 Apr 9, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
I don't lie.
You don't stop lying. You're lying now.
nanoanomaly wrote:
You psychos leave your crazy posts all over the place as proof.
Now you're projecting, Kitteh.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#713843 Apr 9, 2014
andet1987 wrote:
<quoted text>
yes he did. if it found in Wikipedia, then that means, he existed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullwinkle_J._Mo...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#713844 Apr 9, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
You're talking about what WAS, not what IS.

It IS called Christmas.

“First it steals your mind..”

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#713845 Apr 9, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Hoe interessant...Wanneer jy die spelling is gewoonlik baie beter as die Engelse spreker.
:-)
:)

Baie dankie. Ek het van vroeg af Engels geleer en het beide Afrikaans en Engels op skool gehad. Ek het op universiteit in Engels klas gehad en moes toe oorslaan na die nuwe medium. Toe ek begin werk het, moes ek tegniese verslae skryf en dit het my Engels heelwat verbeter. Ek is miskien nie 'n Shakespeare of Stepehen King nie, maar ek dink my taalgebruik is darem goed

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#713846 Apr 9, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
I kinda feel Aussie. Might be due to having been here three times and a half longer than where I was born. I'm acclimatised and whatnot.
What if you were black? Would you be a Brazilian German African Australian?

Absurd things like that is why I don't get into the nationality thing like other people do. I usually trip people out when they ask me my nationality and my answer is "American".

“First it steals your mind..”

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#713847 Apr 9, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
I enjoyed Dawkins. But my favourite book along those lines will always be God Is Not Great, which I could NOT put down the first time I read it.
RIP to the late great Hitchens.
Hitchens was great. His logic was one thing; his ability to say the right thing was unbeatable.

I must admit, I prefer Dawkins, but not over his being part of the "Four Horsemen" and his related philosophical thinking. I like him for his work. He knows a hell of a lot about marine biology, a subject that has always fascinated me.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#713848 Apr 9, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're talking about what WAS, not what IS.
It IS called Christmas.
It's just the 25th of December to me.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#713849 Apr 9, 2014
Judas Priest

You Got Another Thing Coming

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#713850 Apr 9, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
It's just the 25th of December to me.
As it should be..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min kent 687,414
bathing nephew (Apr '16) 5 min tom 5
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 9 min dotard tracker 31,587
Trump: "Get that Son of a B- - - - off the fiel... 11 min Think out Loud 3
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 1 hr Prophet Meowmed 39,264
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Prophet Meowmed 286,598
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 2 hr Peter Ross 6,494
More from around the web