Prove there's a god.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#713279 Apr 7, 2014
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text> That must be it Karl,your towering intellect has won the day.
...snip,,,.
my "intellect" is rather normal, you find it towering because you have compared it to that of a christian believer.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#713280 Apr 7, 2014
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
How're ya doin', RT?
I was doin OK until I got the Rubics Cube test. I almost got it but there was an errant white cube in the orange space.

I'm still trying.

Don't wait up.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#713281 Apr 7, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> stop deflecting dude, it's obvious you don't have nuts, or you wouldn't need someone to dictate your life. we are still waiting on your "evidence"
There you go again. Are you capable of writing a post minus your favorite body part ?

Location hidden

#713282 Apr 7, 2014
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you a POE
which "reinterpreted" bible do you hold as "truth"?
A bit dense Karl? I shared the extent of my beliefs already.

Location hidden

#713283 Apr 7, 2014
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
the man is an uneducated coward
can you defend his drivel?
then bring the lad, to answer for himself.
How sad. I pity you Karl

Location hidden

#713284 Apr 7, 2014
Ghost Writer 2 You wrote:
<quoted text>
There is more ancient evidence for Jesus than for Julius Caesar. It's a modern misconception to believe that ancient writings should adapt to our understanding. This is a literary fallacy. Rather than presuppose that a writing should conform to our understanding, it is our responsibility to conform our understanding to the past writing in an attempt to discern what the writer is trying to say from within a specific culture, during a specific time in history. Don't think that I'm advocating that we should think as they did, but rather that we should be aware of how they thought and how those thoughts influenced the way in which they wrote.
Having said that, the style of ancient writers varied in accordance with their intended audience, and their purpose in writing. Even if you don't want to accept the gospels as divinely inspired, they are very early and very primitive attempts to write history. Physical descriptions weren't as nearly as important as the deeds performed and the words spoken by the subject. This is very different than modern writing. The change in writing biographies in the modern sense was a direct result of the invention of the Gutenburg printing press in approximately 1450. Before the Gutenburg press, most everything was written by hand.
The Chinese did have their own version of a press about 1048 A.D. but it was the Gutenburg press that revolutionized the way books were authored. Writers had more time to research and include details in their works than before the press was invented. Such details as physical appearance became standard features in writing after that time.
And to affirm the historicity of Jesus, one only needs to read the secular accounts to know it's true. The reason for this is that Tacitus was regarded as one of Rome's finest historians. Everything we know of the Caesars,(Julius, Augustus, Claudius) and those who came after, comes from a single source; Tacitus. The much debated TF of Josephus is a credible document, even with the interpolation. The interpolation was not a dishonest attempt to insert a historical figure. The interpolation was an honest attempt to correct misconceptions about that historical figure. Due to Tacitus and Josephus, we gain most of our historical knowledge of life in first century Palestine from their efforts.
Of course the hyper-skeptical will close their eyes and hold their hands over their ears, kicking their feet and screeching "Lalalalalalalalalalalala aaaaa I can't hear you!!" to avoid the implications and maintain their illogical philosophical position.
Now, if anyone can attempt a serious, well thought out rebuttal in their own words, I'll be glad to read it tomorrow. Snarky ad hominem criticisms, red herrings, and accusations of deflecting will be treated with the contempt they deserve. I've stated the reasons why a description of Jesus in the Bible isn't a realistic expectation. I await some scholarly debate.:)
<quoted text> I've stated the reasons why a description of Jesus in the Bible isn't a realistic expectation.:)
Thank you.

Location hidden

#713285 Apr 7, 2014
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
my "intellect" is rather normal, you find it towering because you have compared it to that of a christian believer.
I see sarcasm is lost on you as well.

“Faith = Trust”

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#713286 Apr 7, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the Gospels, Jesus survived the crucifixion only to succumb to complications and infection from the crucifixion and die about month later.
Now I know you're off your rocker. Very few people who were crucified ever survived it. When you know something of the history of crucifixion as a form of humiliating execution, you'll know why your statement doesn't even make sense.

1) Crucifixion was the execution of choice used by Rome for traitors, slaves, murderers and robbers, and non-citizens of Rome.

2) Prior to the condemned being crucified, they were usually stripped naked and tied or chained to a single pole. Roman soldiers would use a whip constructed of between 7 & 9 leather straps with lead balls and bits of jagged bone attached. The soldiers would hit as hard as they could to bury the sharp bits into a victim's flesh, and then yank the whip back out to open up massive lacerations. Flesh would be hanging in strips from the victims body after such a beating. Scourging was designed to bring the condemned as close to death as possible. Many didn't survive it. And the Romans didn't spare women or children either.
They were brutal.

3) After the scourging, the victim would be forced to shoulder the top cross beam and carry it to the place of execution, usually outside city walls and along a main road so newcomers would be warned of the penalty for defying Roman authority. They would be laid down and a spike placed in the wrist, between the forearm bones, on the nerve. The spike was then driven into the wood. Both wrists would be nailed this way, and ropes might be left in place or removed, depending on the mood of the execution squad. Once up and in position, then the ankles would be placed on each side of the upright post, and spikes driven in through the sides of the ankles.

4) During the crucifixion, the victim's body would sag to reduce the pain on the ankles. And then breathing would become difficult. The victim would then have to attempt to stand erect, pushing off the spikes in his or her ankles to be able to breathe. This up/down cycle would continue for hours or even a few days. During this time, the lacerated skin from the pre-crucifixion scourging would be rubbing up and down on the rough timber of the cross.
Bodily functions such as urination, defecation, sweating, and vomiting, as well as traumatic blood loss would only add to the misery as such fluids would seep into the scourging injuries.

5) If there was a local prohibition on bodies left hanging,(such as Passover) then soldiers would use clubs to shatter the legs of the condemned. This made it impossible to stand and death by asphyxiation would occur rapidly. It was also common to use a spear to impale a victim through the heart and lungs to ensure death.

6) Roman soldiers would not show mercy by releasing a victim from the cross without permission of the territorial prefect or procurator. To do so, would be to invite their own death by beheading. The survival rate of crucifixion was almost zero. The historian Josephus tells of only one survivor he knew during the 70A.D. sacking or Rome, in which so many Jews were crucified that the Romans ran out of room and wood for the crosses.

“Faith = Trust”

Location hidden

#713287 Apr 7, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Thank you.
You're welcome :)

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#713288 Apr 7, 2014
scaritual wrote:
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't that a violation of the 1st Commandment?
<quoted text>
The trinity was an added doctrine.
From the Catholic Encyclopedia:
"The formulation ‘one G-d in three Persons’ was not solidly established, certainly not fully assimilated into Christian life and its profession of faith. Prior to the end of the 4th century among the Apostolic Fathers, there had been nothing even remotely approaching such a mentality or perspective." - New Catholic Encyclopedia, Vol. 14
Jesus said that if you called out to him and he could not come that he would send his helper, the Holy Spirit, because they were "one in spirit" with each other. That is not describing a being that shares the same body, but two, separate entities who share the same goal with each other and God.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#713289 Apr 7, 2014
andet1987 wrote:
<quoted text>''

i agree :)

anybody who refuse to believe in Miracles and God is a retard !!
So your "god" lied about free will?

I thought so.

“Faith = Trust”

Location hidden

#713290 Apr 7, 2014
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
I find your "intellect" to be quite small in most respects. Infinitesimal even. Are you over compensating for other kinds of "smallness?"

Location hidden

#713291 Apr 7, 2014
<quoted text>
Now I know you're off your rocker. Very few people who were crucified ever survived it. When you know something of the history of crucifixion as a form of humiliating execution, you'll know why your statement doesn't even make sense.
1) Crucifixion was the execution of choice used by Rome for traitors, slaves, murderers and robbers, and non-citizens of Rome.
2) Prior to the condemned being crucified, they were usually stripped naked and tied or chained to a single pole. Roman soldiers would use a whip constructed of between 7 & 9 leather straps with lead balls and bits of jagged bone attached. The soldiers would hit as hard as they could to bury the sharp bits into a victim's flesh, and then yank the whip back out to open up massive lacerations. Flesh would be hanging in strips from the victims body after such a beating. Scourging was designed to bring the condemned as close to death as possible. Many didn't survive it. And the Romans didn't spare women or children either.
They were brutal.
3) After the scourging, the victim would be forced to shoulder the top cross beam and carry it to the place of execution, usually outside city walls and along a main road so newcomers would be warned of the penalty for defying Roman authority. They would be laid down and a spike placed in the wrist, between the forearm bones, on the nerve. The spike was then driven into the wood. Both wrists would be nailed this way, and ropes might be left in place or removed, depending on the mood of the execution squad. Once up and in position, then the ankles would be placed on each side of the upright post, and spikes driven in through the sides of the ankles.
4) During the crucifixion, the victim's body would sag to reduce the pain on the ankles. And then breathing would become difficult. The victim would then have to attempt to stand erect, pushing off the spikes in his or her ankles to be able to breathe. This up/down cycle would continue for hours or even a few days. During this time, the lacerated skin from the pre-crucifixion scourging would be rubbing up and down on the rough timber of the cross.
Bodily functions such as urination, defecation, sweating, and vomiting, as well as traumatic blood loss would only add to the misery as such fluids would seep into the scourging injuries.
5) If there was a local prohibition on bodies left hanging,(such as Passover) then soldiers would use clubs to shatter the legs of the condemned. This made it impossible to stand and death by asphyxiation would occur rapidly. It was also common to use a spear to impale a victim through the heart and lungs to ensure death.
6) Roman soldiers would not show mercy by releasing a victim from the cross without permission of the territorial prefect or procurator. To do so, would be to invite their own death by beheading. The survival rate of crucifixion was almost zero. The historian Josephus tells of only one survivor he knew during the 70A.D. sacking or Rome, in which so many Jews were crucified that the Romans ran out of room and wood for the crosses.
Very interesting post but I fear your wasting your time. A few of these posters have no interest in any truth but what fits their anger fueled "opinions" that they masquerade as asbsolute fact.
Some very angry people.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#713292 Apr 7, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>He reads like DrReality. A sock maybe ?
Dr Reality? Hm. I didn't see that one.

Andet certainly is crazy enough but he seems dumber as well, a bit like the innocent tard in the nuthouse.

It's ok to pat his head every now and then but don't get close enough for him to bite.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#713293 Apr 7, 2014
andet1987 wrote:
copied and pasted:(i am good at it :)

What Makes Christianity Different?
By Billy Graham
He is not here, but is risen.
—Luke 24:6
Something distinguishes Christianity from all the religions of the world. Not only does it carry the truth of the redemption, by the death of our Savior for our sins on the cross, but it carries the fact that Christ rose again. Only the Christian faith claims that its Leader died and rose again and is alive at this moment. Many gravestones carry the inscription,“Here lies ...,” but on Christ’s tomb are emblazoned the words,“He is not here.” Christianity has no shrines to visit, no dusty remains to venerate, no tombs at which to worship. Many good men have lived, and still live, in the memory of those who knew them, but there is only one Man who conquered death-Jesus Christ-and He will live forever.
Prayer for the day
The account of Your resurrection never ceases to bring me joy, Lord Jesus.
Billy Graham is a pedophile.

Location hidden

#713294 Apr 7, 2014
GO UK WLDCATS wrote:
Someone mentioned the Book of Job, snowflakes and ice.
It is also amazing how Job new the earth was a sphere suspended in space ?
Take away all the water in the oceans and seas and this...

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2011/04/...

...is the true shape of Earth.

“Faith = Trust”

Location hidden

#713295 Apr 7, 2014
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you weren't a lying coward, you would be able to present reasonable hard evidence of proof....but you do not. Your stupid little gradeschool charade is becoming boring, and it is obvious you are enjoying your mental masturbation of pure ignorance, while you fail completely to produce any proof of your obviously blatant lies.
If you can not offer any proof, do not bother to reply, as it is not profitable to continue to converse with ignorance and obstinate arrogance such as you present.
I noticed you have never stepped up to the plate to debate rationally. You're just another snarky little punk with a paper ball chip on your shoulder. You need a titanium chip like mine.:)

Location hidden

#713296 Apr 7, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus said that if you called out to him and he could not come that he would send his helper, the Holy Spirit, because they were "one in spirit" with each other. That is not describing a being that shares the same body, but two, separate entities who share the same goal with each other and God.
When exactly did Jesus say that, sir?

Are there some scratches on a wall? Time? Date? Buffalo?

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#713297 Apr 7, 2014
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>More like a toilet plunger.
I agree completely.

Hi Kait :-)

Location hidden

#713298 Apr 7, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Liar. You really are trash.
lol
It's in black and white for all to see, dock.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 5 min Anna 104,541
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 5 min DENG 38,307
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 34 min nanoanomaly 37,116
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 36 min X Pendable 182,260
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 39 min Janitor Of The LORD 618,268
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 54 min Not religious 44,252
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr confrinting with ... 640,982
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr WasteWater 280,834
More from around the web