Prove there's a god.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#712670 Apr 6, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>YOU are the one who claims that freeloaders claiming belief [briefly] to get freebies are Christians.....
WTF ???

That makes no sense at all.

“First it steals your mind..”

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#712671 Apr 6, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the kind words.
Incidentally, I don't feel like I took a bullet. I think she did - one she fired. Kaitlin may have spotted her already, and you were hot in pursuit, but she had been kind, civil, and appropriate to me, and I had no reason to question her character or mental health, which was the point of the psychiatric anecdote. Psychopathy can be difficult to identify on first blush even when you are told in advance that it is present.
In my opinion, this religion degrades everybody it touches, even the better people in it. I like Ghost Writer, who bring good qualities to the discussion. But I believe that those were innate in him or gifts of parents or teachers, not of his church. He brought those qualities to them, not vice versa. The bulk of these Christians are simply broken people. Some are kind but ignorant to beat the band, some are morally bereft, and some are both. How often do you see one that is informed, articulate and decent like almost all of the skeptics posting here. you included? I don't want to begin listing names here for fear of overlooking someone.
That's the difference between assimilating humanistic values and a having only a Christian upbringing. Now that I think of it Ghost Writer was formerly one of us - a late conversion. A big taste of humanism either up front or after breaking free from a Christian upbringing seems to be enough. But the ones that have been molded almost exclusively by Jesus, Inc are mostly all deficient.
Everywhere we turn, we see the inferior product of this church, from the angry fundies that want to pillory Bill Maher stry from the looms of Jesus, Inc., she too serves a useful purpose here.
Accidentallu deleted some sentence in there due to the awful interface on Android. I cannot tell you how pathetic this app is. Note that there is a "u" at the end of accidentally... I am too scared to go and change it.

Well, if we are talking about decent christians, some of the ladies on the WSJLM thread are very kind. But on the more confrontational threads? They are thinly spread.

Lol as I read your message I am watching a show about snake handlers. They actually break the animal conservation law by catching some of these snakes! Plus, the poor snakes are stuffed into their pathetic cages. That is animal abuse right there. It is as if the laws just bounce off them. These "men of god" then joke about "that is a five year prison sentence"or somesuch.

Hmm. "They shall handle serpents". Yeah. I would really want to see these idiot jesus freaks perform a church service in South Africa. Not those sissy North American rattlers, I am talking Mamba and cobra.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#712672 Apr 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The only correct answer to that question is "I don't know". And neither do you.
Sin brings evil, sickness, disease, and death to us all. It's not the sinner, per se, it's the sin. Terrible things don't happen because of sinners, they happen because of sin itself. We know that God “works all things together for good”. That means, for the believer, all "terrible things" must have a divine purpose.
Dunno if this will help you understand, but it does for me:
"rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us” Romans 5:3-5
Tell that to the old guy at the DQ who always makes a point of poking me with his cane. Now that's character.
>:[

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#712673 Apr 6, 2014
Aerosmith

Dream On

Classic

“First it steals your mind..”

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#712674 Apr 6, 2014
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree.
Yo mr. BT42. We are in accord.

Night, all.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#712675 Apr 6, 2014
Ghost Writer 2 You wrote:
<quoted text>
If you have a scope that can be used to target anything the size of a human in England, from California, then the firearm must also be equally capable of that range. And I don't believe my shoulder could withstand the recoil of such a weapon. Ouch!!
Haha

Location hidden

#712676 Apr 6, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
A sample midterm from a university history course:
Based on the following excerpt from Gregory of Tours' History of the Franks (circa 550 AD), extract as much information a possible. No less than 250 words.
" The nineteenth was I, unworthy Gregory, who found the church of Tours, in which the blessed Martin and the other bishops of the Lord were consecrated in the pontifical office, shattered and ruined by fire. I rebuilt it larger and higher, and dedicated it in the seventeenth year after being ordained; and in it as I learned from the old priests the relics of the blessed Maurice and his companions had been placed by the ancients. I found the very box in the treasury of the church of St. Martin, and in it the relics, greatly decayed, which had been brought because of their miraculous power. And while vigils were being kept in their honor I wished to visit them again by the light of a torch. And I was examining them intently when the keeper of the church said to me: "Here is a stone with a cover, but I don't know what it has in it and I haven't been able to learn from my predecessors who have had charge here. Let me bring it and you look carefully to see what it contains." I took it and opened it of course,­ and found a silver box containing relics of the witnesses of the blessed legion as well as of many saints both martyrs and confessors. We also found other stones hollow like this one, containing relics of the holy apostles and the rest of the martyrs. I wondered at this bounty divinely given and after, giving thanks, keeping vigil, and saying mass, I placed them in the cathedral. I placed the relics of the holy martyrs Cosmas and Damian in St. Martin's cell close to the cathedral. I found the walls of the holy church consumed by fire and ordered skilful workmen to repaint and adorn them with their er splendor. I had a baptistery built close by the church, where I placed the relics of the holy martyrs John and Sergius, and in what had been the baptistery I placed the relics of the martyr Benignus. And in many localities in the territory of Tours I dedicated churches and oratories and glorified them with relics of the saints, but I think it tiresome to speak of them in order.
I wrote ten books of Histories, seven of Miracles, one on the Lives of the Fathers; a commentary in one book on Psalms; one book also on the Services of the Church. And bishop of God, whoever you may be, if our Martianus has trained you in the seven disciplines, that is, if he has taught you by means of grammar to read, by dialectic to apprehend the arguments in disputes, by rhetoric to recognize the different meters, by geometry to comprehend the measurement of the earth and of lines, by astrology to contemplate the paths of the heavenly bodies, by arithmetic to understand the parts of numbers, by harmony to fit the modulated voice to the sweet accents of the verse; if in all this you are practiced so that my style will seem rude, even so I beg of you do not efface what I have written. But if anything in these books pleases you I do not forbid your writing it in verse provided my work is left safe."
Rote memorization my ass !
History is nothing more than repeating something that happened, and we have only their word (the author's) that it really did happen. That is nothing "original". We read the textbook and give the "answer" that was in it on our tests. "Rote" and "research" is all college is, i.e., some earlier author's work.

And now, to make college graduates look even more ridiculous "Revisionist History" classes are offered. Strange [but not really] how less and less college graduates are able to find work related to their worthless degrees.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#712677 Apr 6, 2014
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would we want to destroy religion?
Then there would not be anybody to argue with.....
:-)
Nah, I'm sure the Topix Atheists! could argue with regular atheists....

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#712678 Apr 6, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>He eats, drinks and dreams his obsession. If you knew just how much of his waking life is committed to this vendetta/compulsion of his you would not believe it. The time he spends writing atheist speeches/sermons, the travelling to "give" sermons, the comments he leaves on all his buddies various sites...wow, it IS dementia.
If the fundamentalists/end timers knew about his many, sympathetic sects activities, they would probably believe that Satan's army was readying for a march.
He writes speeches and give atheist sermons??

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#712679 Apr 6, 2014
Ghost Writer 2 You wrote:
<quoted text>
In what sense are you using the word "retarded?"
Who defines what "normal" is?
Are you skeptical of your own skepticism?
If no, then why should I take your word for any of the above?
Do you see the irony meter peaking?
<quoted text>
And in what way do you think God should make His presence known to us?
Is it possible for God to be known apart from sensory experience?
Why would you say it's nothing more than hearsay? Hearsay only counts in legal proceedings. Hearsay is entirely acceptable when determining history. And if you're going to say that the question of God solely rests on your misconception of hearsay, then I would say you're betting against the odds and more likely your own wishful thinking.
I didn't see any proof in any of that for the existence of this God you allege. Most people have a God for which there is abundant evidence; GovernmentGod. BibleGod is no where to be found but GovernmentGod will send trained killers after you if you disobey. Government-God is much more real than BibleGod.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#712680 Apr 6, 2014
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
And backed by evidence such as:
Physiological similarities (fingernails, face, positioning of the eyes and ears
DNA evidence
ERV evidence
Fossil specimen showing more human like properties developing
Theory? You bet. A damned fine one.
Wana disprove it? Easy. Go find a modern human skeleton from the Cambrian
ERV? What's that?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#712681 Apr 6, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
I don't need pagan religion's virgin births and resurrected demigods to believe in Jesus of Galilee.
Nah, you just make up your own version.

Then call it fact.

Then call everyone who disagrees with you an idiot.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#712682 Apr 6, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
A sample midterm from a university history course:
Based on the following excerpt from Gregory of Tours' History of the Franks (circa 550 AD), extract as much information a possible. No less than 250 words.
" The nineteenth was I, unworthy Gregory, who found the church of Tours, in which the blessed Martin and the other bishops of the Lord were consecrated in the pontifical office, shattered and ruined by fire. I rebuilt it larger and higher, and dedicated it in the seventeenth year after being ordained; and in it as I learned from the old priests the relics of the blessed Maurice and his companions had been placed by the ancients. I found the very box in the treasury of the church of St. Martin, and in it the relics, greatly decayed, which had been brought because of their miraculous power. And while vigils were being kept in their honor I wished to visit them again by the light of a torch. And I was examining them intently when the keeper of the church said to me: "Here is a stone with a cover, but I don't know what it has in it and I haven't been able to learn from my predecessors who have had charge here. Let me bring it and you look carefully to see what it contains." I took it and opened it of course,­ and found a silver box containing relics of the witnesses of the blessed legion as well as of many saints both martyrs and confessors. We also found other stones hollow like this one, containing relics of the holy apostles and the rest of the martyrs. I wondered at this bounty divinely given and after, giving thanks, keeping vigil, and saying mass, I placed them in the cathedral. I placed the relics of the holy martyrs Cosmas and Damian in St. Martin's cell close to the cathedral. I found the walls of the holy church consumed by fire and ordered skilful workmen to repaint and adorn them with their er splendor. I had a baptistery built close by the church, where I placed the relics of the holy martyrs John and Sergius, and in what had been the baptistery I placed the relics of the martyr Benignus. And in many localities in the territory of Tours I dedicated churches and oratories and glorified them with relics of the saints, but I think it tiresome to speak of them in order.
I wrote ten books of Histories, seven of Miracles, one on the Lives of the Fathers; a commentary in one book on Psalms; one book also on the Services of the Church. And though I have written these books in a style somewhat rude, I nevertheless conjure you all, God's bishops who are destined to rule the lowly church of Tours after me, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and the judgment day, feared by the guilty, if you will not be condemned with the devil and depart in confusion from the judgment, never cause these books to be destroyed or rewritten, selecting some passages and omitting others, but let them all continue in your time complete and undiminished as they were left by us. And bishop of God, whoever you may be, if our Martianus has trained you in the seven disciplines, that is, if he has taught you by means of grammar to read, by dialectic to apprehend the arguments in disputes, by rhetoric to recognize the different meters, by geometry to comprehend the measurement of the earth and of lines, by astrology to contemplate the paths of the heavenly bodies, by arithmetic to understand the parts of numbers, by harmony to fit the modulated voice to the sweet accents of the verse; if in all this you are practiced so that my style will seem rude, even so I beg of you do not efface what I have written. But if anything in these books pleases you I do not forbid your writing it in verse provided my work is left safe."
Rote memorization my ass !
Copy/paste works for everyone.

Location hidden

#712683 Apr 6, 2014
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Accidentallu deleted some sentence in there due to the awful interface on Android. I cannot tell you how pathetic this app is. Note that there is a "u" at the end of accidentally... I am too scared to go and change it.
Well, if we are talking about decent christians, some of the ladies on the WSJLM thread are very kind. But on the more confrontational threads? They are thinly spread.
Lol as I read your message I am watching a show about snake handlers. They actually break the animal conservation law by catching some of these snakes! Plus, the poor snakes are stuffed into their pathetic cages. That is animal abuse right there. It is as if the laws just bounce off them. These "men of god" then joke about "that is a five year prison sentence"or somesuch.
Hmm. "They shall handle serpents". Yeah. I would really want to see these idiot jesus freaks perform a church service in South Africa. Not those sissy North American rattlers, I am talking Mamba and cobra.
So...you have a problem with snake charmers?

Location hidden

#712684 Apr 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
He writes speeches and gives atheist sermons??
Yep.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#712685 Apr 6, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Tell that to the old guy at the DQ who always makes a point of poking me with his cane. Now that's character.
>:[
When he pokes you on the butt cheek, turn the other cheek for him to poke.

Verily, I tell you.

Location hidden

#712687 Apr 6, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF ???
That makes no sense at all.
Because you cut it in half, flamewad.

Location hidden

#712688 Apr 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah, I'm sure the Topix Atheists! could argue with regular atheists....
...barely.

Normal atheists are not obsessed with whatever another person's ideology "might" be.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#712689 Apr 6, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> the Freebird I got for you is flying in the air now! FK AZZHOLE!!
I've already thanked you for confirming my original post you don't have to continue demonstrating just how right I was.
gort

Germany

#712690 Apr 6, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
I maintain that most Christians do not believe in nor attempt to follow the teachings of Jesus.
I believe in God and Jesus, I am NOT a Christian and pray I never am.
i know. i know. it is okay. there, there

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 2 hr Drumpf Disaster 46,224
Why are Europeans a race of savages, thieves, a... (Jun '15) 3 hr Johnny 388
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 hr kent 691,985
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 4 hr exposingm0r0ns 6,704
Jeffreys: Evangelicals will vote for Moore 6 hr whatever 6
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 6 hr Dec 2017 News 445,848
__POPE & ISRAEL to SIGN Historic Agreement__ 7 hr True Reporter 3
More from around the web