Prove there's a god.

“Faith = Trust”

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#712552 Apr 6, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
We agree!
You have been indoctrinated and brainwashed since birth.
Genetic fallacy. It's an assumption on your part. And a rather poor one at that.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#712553 Apr 6, 2014
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text> Thanks so much for confirming my opinions .
the Freebird I got for you is flying in the air now! FK AZZHOLE!!

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#712554 Apr 6, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I hunted bear for ages, in Pennsylvania. Never got one - it was a very short season.
But every year, somebody got one, so at least I was guaranteed some bear sausage. Or perhaps chili.
Delicious.
Got my quota of deer every year, though.
Bambi killer.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#712555 Apr 6, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
ISA. 7:14
("Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son...."--KJ, ML, LB, NI, AS, NAB, NAS, LV)
versus
("Behold, a young woman shall conceive and bear a son...."--RS, BBE, NEB, TEV, MT) or (a young maiden--JB, NWT).
This clash has been debated for centuries and goes to the heart of a critical biblical teaching because it's the only OT prophecy referring to the Messiah's virgin birth.
Without the "virgin" in Isaiah, much of Christian doctrine crumbles.

Christianity has gone out of its way to ignore the simple fact that there is no virgin (or Jesus) in Isaiah 7:14.

"A young woman shall have a son and he will be named Emmanuel." Isaiah 7:14

Location hidden

#712556 Apr 6, 2014
Gob wrote:
<quoted text>
How did you come to that conclusion?
Did you do it logically?
Does that matter to you?
Here are some common mistakes theists make when evaluating the claimed power of prayer:
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Argument_from_in...
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Argument_from_ig...
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Texas_sharpshoot...
You cannot use logic to argue either for OR against the uncanny. Anything "supernatural" BY definition cannot be explained or discounted by any known physical means.

That's why it is is called "uncanny".

Der.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#712557 Apr 6, 2014
andet1987 wrote:
<quoted text>
God the Father.....
OK, you believe in Zeus AKA Jupiter, just like the Latin (Deus Pater) and Greek (Theos) Bibles proclaim.

You're a pagan.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#712558 Apr 6, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll attempt to demonstrate my comparison;
In the christian school my boys used to attend, there were two main bullies that all the kids were scared of and they both had it in for my ten year old. My boy is highly intelligent and a bit of a tech geek, gets good grades and awards, is good at sport, built like a Viking and the girls like him.
Thing is, he's a bit shy, a gentle giant and was also taught to turn the other cheek, like the jesus character said, so he endured rather vicious verbal then physical bullying from these two boys, for a bit over a year. He cried himself to sleep almost every night and could not understand why they "hated" him, at all. He also did not understand why praying for his enemies didn't do or change anything. He has always been a golden child in every way.
I did everything I could try, other than pull my boys out of the school, to put a stop to it. My son followed procedure after each injury, sometimes there was blood on him. All to no avail, teachers did nothing and the boys' parents were as vile as their children.
The only help my son got at school was from his younger brother, who is sixteen months younger and a very clever clown "jock" with my temperament, rebellion and fearlessness to boot, the temper usually makes up for the fact that he's not as strong as his big brother and there's no shyness at all within him. He wasn't always around to help his big brother though.
Eventually, I thought fuckthishit and told my son to defend himself, like his brotherwhothoughtturningtheoth ercheekwasrubbish always did, then one day, my ten year old snapped and took them both head on, two on one as always and when his younger rebel of a brother turned up, he told him to stay out of it.
Pardon the term but he beatthefcuckouttathem both. The boys and their parents turned into victims instantly. In the end, the principal took my side and let it slide. Other parents whose kids were bullied and helped by my younger son, stepped forward.
To this day, my ten year old is amazed at how those two tough guys that terrorised him, cried like "victimised girls" when he took a stand.
Now bullies back away from him and his two little brothers, with a look.
Yeah, christians behave just like bullies.
Epic fail, as the squids like to say.
Nice story, Juice, and a good opportunity to discuss Christian moral theory.

Turning the other cheek is for those who want both cheeks bruised. It's horrible advice. Negotiate a peace if you can. Failing that, walk away. If you can't, get help. If help is unavailable, throw a punch yourself as your son finally did. Or at the very least, lift your fists to defend your face If nothing else, it can prevent additional violence

But turn the other cheek? Like I said that's the worse advice possible.It's an incentive to further violence and amplifies the contempt and disrespect for the target. That's what you tell a slave to do.

Hell, even if your purpose is to make a statement by choosing to incur pain, give him the same cheek - the tender one - not the fresh one.

You taught your boy as your church taught you, and passed its advice along lovingly and in good faith. But you trusted the wrong people, and the result was predictable and counterproductive. You finally rejected Jesus, and now you and your boy have it right. Your boy has the respect of his peers, as well as his self-respect, his dignity, and peace of mind for it. He doesn't have to cry himself to sleep.

I believe that it was Ghost Writer that I challenged to come up with a single "moral truths of value that originated with Jesus." No Christian has stepped up yet, and none will. Why? Because the only good moral philosophy in the New Testament - things like love one another, the Golden Rule - aren't original to Jesus, and the moral advice original (I think) to Jesus like turn the other cheek isn't good advice.

Location hidden

#712559 Apr 6, 2014
Gob wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure you see progress as corruption, like most Muslims and many Christians.
I seriously doubt a discussion with you on this topic would be productive.
What progress?

A cure for cancer?

“I love Jesus”

Since: Dec 08

Heaven, but Earthbound for now

#712561 Apr 6, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the kind words.
Incidentally, I don't feel like I took a bullet. I think she did - one she fired. Kaitlin may have spotted her already, and you were hot in pursuit, but she had been kind, civil, and appropriate to me, and I had no reason to question her character or mental health, which was the point of the psychiatric anecdote. Psychopathy can be difficult to identify on first blush even when you are told in advance that it is present.
In my opinion, this religion degrades everybody it touches, even the better people in it. I like Ghost Writer, who bring good qualities to the discussion. But I believe that those were innate in him or gifts of parents or teachers, not of his church. He brought those qualities to them, not vice versa. The bulk of these Christians are simply broken people. Some are kind but ignorant to beat the band, some are morally bereft, and some are both. How often do you see one that is informed, articulate and decent like almost all of the skeptics posting here. you included? I don't want to begin listing names here for fear of overlooking someone.
That's the difference between assimilating humanistic values and a having only a Christian upbringing. Now that I think of it Ghost Writer was formerly one of us - a late conversion. A big taste of humanism either up front or after breaking free from a Christian upbringing seems to be enough. But the ones that have been molded almost exclusively by Jesus, Inc are mostly all deficient.
Everywhere we turn, we see the inferior product of this church, from the angry fundies that want to pillory Bill Maher for blasphemy to to the Topix intellectual and moral roadkill to the zealots in Texas and Arizona that want to use the power of the state to punish women with vibrators, it's really too much to sit for.
Anyway, back to Susie - as yet another example of a defective tapestry from the looms of Jesus, Inc., she too serves a useful purpose here.
I am going to be completely honest. I did use the quiz as bait and I said that over and over. I did not intend for you to fall for it. It was intended for screwge and Black Thunder. I did not even bring up the fact that what you posted was copy and pasted until I got badgered. You were nice to me, and I will give you that. However, the minute you realized I knew you got your information from an online calculator, you became defensive and cruel. It is far better to admit a mistake and start over than cause all this fuss. I will admit to my part in this but you my friend played a role as well. I have said all along that I am a compassionate person but I have also said I am feisty. When I am shown respect, I give it. Now, this is over and we can move on and converse like we used to with grace and dignity or we can hold a grudge. BOTH of us said things.. It takes two to tangle and it takes two to tango. WE can fight, or we can dance. I am not this dumb girl you seem to think I am. As for the Chemistry thing, I have said many times my dad is a chemist. I am not a science person and I never have been; however, I am pretty good at math; that is why I used Chemistry. Shame on me for allowing others to drive my anger and you getting caught in the cross fire. Again, I always liked you and I am sorry towards you and you only.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#712562 Apr 6, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know what else works in solving problems?
Thinking
It's magical. It's extraordinarily magical.
It's what we do.
"You are all Gods." - Psalm 82

“Faith = Trust”

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#712563 Apr 6, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no controversy at all. The Hebrew word in question is 'almah' which means young woman. This word is used in every copy of Isaiah in the DSS (200BC - 100AD)
The Hebrew word for virgin is "bethulah".
Just more proof that Christianity is wrong.
"Bethula" can also mean "living under her father's domain." In this case, the translation could be correct if Mary was living with her parents at the time of her conception. Almah can also mean virgin and young woman.

Matthew, as a first century Jewish man, would know the cultural context. We must also allow for changes in linguistics over several generations within the same culture. For example, in the United States the word "gay" means a male who is in a romantic relationship with another male, or prefers sexual relations with other males. 50 years ago "gay" was synonymous with "happy." Now let's look at another difference in word usage. In England, a "fag" is a slang term for a cigarette. In the United States it's a derogatory term used to refer to a male who displays feminine mannerisms and habits, or to one who is believed to be gay.

As Israel became Hellenized, it's quite possible that words became transposed in this way as well as they are in our own modern time. With regard to the Dead Sea Scrolls, they were written approximately 125 years before the time of Christ. When compared with the original writings of Isaiah approximately 700 years before Christ, we can see we have a 600 year time span in which word usage could have changed. If it can change over time as little as 50 years, then it's not wise to assume that word usage didn't also change in other cultures in human history.

Next victim.:)

“"None shall pass"”

There

#712564 Apr 6, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Because we are magic.
Lol.
We have come to realize that the Universe, and everything and everyone in it, is more amazing and 'magical' than any religion ever imagined.

Religionists are very jealous of that.

Location hidden

#712565 Apr 6, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Bears are very perceptive of a person's character, most animals are.
You are a moron. Omnivores and carnivores alike attack people and most of the time it's simply a survival reflexive movement, sometimes they are just plain mean and bloodthirsty. Like there's a census on which people who are attacked deserve it? Really? You consistently prove you are a whackjob when you suggest crap like this. Like there's a blank on patient forms for coroners to put either "ahole" or "angel" in. Wow.

But, pointing out your lunacy won't prevent you from making more ludicrous remarks, which only proves you're an idiot flamer.
EVOLVING IMAGINATIONS

Louisville, KY

#712566 Apr 6, 2014
Proven scientific theory ? How bout that for imagination.

You call me mad and yet you rant and rave like a lunatic day in and day out on topix.
Scrooge wrote:
<quoted text>
The blissful ignorance of this religiously retarded imbecilic sociopathic evolution and death denying cowardly redneck pile of shit is truly astounding.
Evolution is a proven scientific theory denied only by the world's most completely brainwashed religious fundies such as you. Modern organisms have evolved from ancestral organisms and continue to change. Abiogenesis is the study of the origin of life.
All scientific evidence fully supports entirely natural origins for the universe and life on earth without any need for supernatural guidance. There's absolutely no scientific evidence for supernatural deities or eternal souls.
You're a typical stark raving mad insane religiously retarded redneck, national embarrassment and disgrace to the human race with nothing of value to contribute to this forum or society at large.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#712567 Apr 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Oh quit groveling. I noticed that you agreed with those other two idiots that science says humans evolved from apes.

Too funny.
macumazahn wrote:
Science says no such thing. It demonstrates that apes and humans evolved from a common ancestor.
You do see the difference, right?
I know that. I was correcting two stupid atheists that claimed science says humans evolved from apes.

'wordofme' even went into full detail about it.

Stupid atheists.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#712568 Apr 6, 2014
scaritual wrote:
You'll have to overlook the fonts not showing correctly here.
The specific word means:
Hol8044 xc;r'
xc;r': qal: pf.Œr, T'x.c;r', Axc'r.; impf. xc;r.Ti, xc'(r.Ti; inf. x;cor'; pt. x;ce¿AÀro:
Of course it does...
EVOLVING IMAGINATIONS

Louisville, KY

#712569 Apr 6, 2014
Where did your matter come from ?

God is the Alpha and Omega.
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did your god come from?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#712570 Apr 6, 2014
scaritual wrote:
Then a scope is useless.
That's why it's called a joke; a story with a humorous climax.

Please let ChristineMC2 know that a scope is useless aiming from Southern California to England.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#712571 Apr 6, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure. Will we be going to a costume party? I love those.
What will I wear?
Sky clad ? <wink>

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#712572 Apr 6, 2014
ROCCO wrote:
<quoted text>
You were given a correct answer, cretin.
You left out a particular technicality, Pops, i.e., you had to give parental consent.
You see, a child can't do it without you.
I already posted that you need either parental consent or the consent of the legal guardian, in the case that there are no parents.

Learn to read.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 4 min lightbeamrider 88,340
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 12 min AtheistScum Kilt ... 703,771
Division Of Cold Dead Hands 18 min Happy 1
Sexual Desires: My wife pooping in my mouth (Aug '13) 22 min poodawg 66
why Donald Trump is president (Oct '17) 48 min The Ghost Rider 34
Trump is Gods anointed!!! 2 hr doG mnaDed lyoH r... 1
dried poppy pods (Apr '13) 3 hr poppy pod 29