Prove there's a god.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#711064 Apr 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Oh. So anybody that can read, can read the Bible and interpret it perfectly.
Yep. It's poetry and mythology. It has no fixed or definite meaning. There is is no right or wrong interpretation any more than there is to a song like Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds..
RiversideRedneck wrote:
But anybody that could read, cannot read a medical journal and interpret it properly..
Could you?

Here's one difference: one is written in technical jargon having precise meanings, the other is vague and often contradictory imagery that the reader interprets according to personal history and psychology..

Here's another difference: if you "misunderstand" the bible, it doesn't matter. Go ahead and "misunderstand" to creation myth or the flood myth.Nobody gets hurt. In fact, nothing changes at all. That's because it's about nothing, like the poem Jabberwocky.

This could be why no scientific knowledge has come from Christianity or its bible - just reason and observation.

It's also why no medical knowledge used in those hospitals you give Christianity credit for, and no useful knowledge taught in those universities you credit Christianity for, came from your bible or religion. Those things were gifts of rational skepticism, which begins with ignoring folklore - things like your bible. legends, and old wives tales.

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#711065 Apr 3, 2014
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Medical procedures are not attrocities.
As for your link, are secular humanists chopping up the people?
Hey DF, we're upside down.

Just when I'm ready to go to sleep, you show up.

Good morning and good night.

“First it steals your mind..”

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#711066 Apr 3, 2014
Ghost Writer 2 You wrote:
<quoted text>
<facepalm> Is that the way you really interpret those? LOL
First off, there were a few periods in history in which miracles were more common. These are known in theology as the age of miracles. And Moses banging his staff on the water was not the miracle. The miracle was that the Israelis escaped the Egyptians. The fire from the sky wasn't performed BY Elijah. It was a vision he had. Elisah didn't go to Heaven under his own power. He had no power.
<quoted text>
Okay hot shot, when was the last time you saw water turned into wine at a magic show?
The feeding of the 5,000 is believed by many to be a different type of miracle. I can explain it best by saying that when people traveled for miles to listen to Jesus preach all day, they brought food with them. But, they were reluctant to share it. Jesus led by example by sharing, and pretty soon everyone started sharing what they had brought with them. And why can't the sick be healed? Do you understand the Judaic cultural implications of illness? If somebody was sick, Jewish people believed (incorrectly because of the misconceptions of the religious leaders) that anyone who was sick had been stricken by God for their sins. They were treated as second class citizens. Shunned and marginalized. Isn't this what the crazy fundies say about AIDs patients and cancer patients in our own time? Well, the religious rulers back then were no exception. They made the same claims. So Jesus healed the illnesses to show He loved the people, and that He had authority to forgive sins, and in doing so, to inform the religious leaders of how wrong and bigoted they really were. It wasn't to show off. He was turning the religious and political power base on its ear.
<quoted text>
His purpose wasn't to throw off Roman rule although that's what the Jewish people expected because of the misconceptions of their religious leaders. And they weren't parlor tricks for amusement. He was challenging Jewish political/religious rule. Separating church and state for the first time.
I do not care about what political implications you think the miracles had. I asked you this:

Why was the OT prophets miracles such cool miracles, while Jesus did some lame, easy to fake stuff?

Honestly. When Elisah summoned the fire from the sky to burn his altar, that is a miracle that, when repeated, would be undeniably awesome. Its not smoke and mirrors. Independence Day like beams of fire from the sky? Hell, that is bloody awesome.

But now, your Jesus comes along. Water into wine? You could just have your lackeys (Jesus had 12) take out one container and bring in the next. Or, if nobody watched, go to a container filled with wine and yell out: "No way! No freaking way!! Omg omg omg OMG!!! He turned water into wine!!"

Or something along those lines.

Healing of the sick? Come on! That is the easiest miracle of all. If I paid a man to go sit in front of a station for a week in his dark glasses, begging, and generally appearing blind and I go visit him, chant some funny crap and touch his eyes, would you believe I healed him from his blindness?

The OT prophets were credited with real miracles. Jesus did cheap parlor tricks by comparison.

Possible reasons for this

1) In the OT, God had lots of Mana to bestow upon his prophets. In the NT, his Mana was up.

2) Because when the Israelites lived under their own government, people could say crap like that. During Roman rule, notsomuch.

I think perhaps your deity was afraid of Iron Chariots? Either that, or the legionaires.

Fennario

#711067 Apr 3, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
According to the Redneck, one of his kids just enlisted in the army.
Probably dropped out of high school, just like his loser father.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I fail to understand why you been your other sock, Rocco, are choosing to pick on children.
And not children. Your children.

That was as kind as those people feel like being to you. Maybe you can guess why.

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#711068 Apr 3, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep. It's poetry and mythology. It has no fixed or definite meaning. There is is no right or wrong interpretation any more than there is to a song like Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds..
<quoted text>
Could you?
Here's one difference: one is written in technical jargon having precise meanings, the other is vague and often contradictory imagery that the reader interprets according to personal history and psychology..
Here's another difference: if you "misunderstand" the bible, it doesn't matter. Go ahead and "misunderstand" to creation myth or the flood myth.Nobody gets hurt. In fact, nothing changes at all. That's because it's about nothing, like the poem Jabberwocky.
This could be why no scientific knowledge has come from Christianity or its bible - just reason and observation.
It's also why no medical knowledge used in those hospitals you give Christianity credit for, and no useful knowledge taught in those universities you credit Christianity for, came from your bible or religion. Those things were gifts of rational skepticism, which begins with ignoring folklore - things like your bible. legends, and old wives tales.
I'll say it again.
I'm not superstitious.
It brings bad luck.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Evolution is true.....

#711069 Apr 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The 'Theory of Evolution' happens to be a theory, not a fact. What are YOU saying?
And which theory of evolution are you referring to? Do you know there are several?
http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/biology/b103/f01...
You are basing your evolution beliefs on a class paper from a college student...who just happens to re-introduce many Veerrrrry old creationist crap that has been disproven for decades....and is backed up by references from creationists writings/sources.

Sorry guy, you fail this class.

Fennario

#711070 Apr 3, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
The Redneck is such a filthy, two-faced, ignorant wiseass though, and in my view needs to be regularly exposed for the filthy person that he is. Just think of the damage he inflicts on his kids -- possibly irreparable.
He's certainly a walking testimony to the power of Christianity to shape lives.

Fennario

#711071 Apr 3, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
High school dropout like his father?
Not if the kid rejects his father's values and habits. If the kid succumbs to his father's influence, he'll probably end up just like him. If he rebels - the Redneck's greatest criticism of people - he may break the cycle.

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#711072 Apr 3, 2014
Scrooge wrote:
<quoted text>
The mythical deity of Christian folklore is one of the most sadistic monsters in all of fiction so if this sick bastard existed then why wouldn't it create staggeringly ignorant self-righteous bigoted death-denying subhuman Christian cretins like mental retards Riverside Redneck and Ghost Writer?
Sharpshooter fallacy , you painted the bulls eye around the holes.
But if this creator created only science deniers, what created human scientific knowledge.
An evolutionary mess up? But if evolution created knowledge then god created idiots.
I find the concept of a creator of dummies, hard to justify , but dummies creating god in the attempt to explain things that seem incomprehensible .... a concept easy to justify.
Sadly enough a very large group of dummies is an evolutionary advantage over a very small group with superior intellect.

Fennario

#711073 Apr 3, 2014
Grow up yourself. There is nothing childish about ridiculing religion.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Said like a true hater..
B-b-b-b-b-b-bo-ring!

Nobody seems to care what you call hate any more.

Fennario

#711074 Apr 3, 2014
Are you spiritually guiding others here on this thread because of your prayers?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
there are people out there that read a post here and there that hopefully learn something from my message.
Wow. You are miles from the nearest clue..

Fennario

#711075 Apr 3, 2014
Ghost Writer 2 You wrote:
I will say publicly say and with all due respect, that setting somebody up to look stupid on a math problem is vengeful.
It's not just petty and spiteful, it's also pretty entertaining seeing it done it that badly. Falling into her own trap was pretty humiliating even without the meltdown.

You say, "with all due respect," but how much respect do you suppose is due a person who is malicious, treacherous, ungrateful, and incompetent?
ROCCO

Indio, CA

#711076 Apr 3, 2014
<quoted text>
LOL. Yeah, we're all quite impressed.
How have you been ROCCO?
Very well thanks, IANS. And busy.

I see you are still in fine form and doing commendable work, lol!

Evolution is true.....

#711077 Apr 3, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Could you?
Totally cool knock down....good stuff
ROCCO

Indio, CA

#711078 Apr 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Secular humanists kill nearly 1,200,000 fetuses per year.
That's something you're proud of, isn't it?
By your own claim the world's largest religion is Christianity. It certainly is true in the US.

Extrapolating from that, the largest percentage of teen/unwed births are to Christians. If you're truly so concerned about abortions, you can certainly help your church spread the word about how to stop those pregnancies from happening in the first place.

Especially since the majority of them are occurring by Christian boys knocking up Christian girls. But since your god set the example by raping a 12-year old betrothed virgin, it doesn't look like it's going to get any better anytime soon.
andet1987

Chicago, IL

#711079 Apr 3, 2014
ROCCO wrote:
<quoted text>
By your own claim the world's largest religion is Christianity. It certainly is true in the US.
Extrapolating from that, the largest percentage of teen/unwed births are to Christians. If you're truly so concerned about abortions, you can certainly help your church spread the word about how to stop those pregnancies from happening in the first place.
Especially since the majority of them are occurring by Christian boys knocking up Christian girls. But since your god set the example by raping a 12-year old betrothed virgin, it doesn't look like it's going to get any better anytime soon.
God raping a 12 year old ? blasphemy !! God never rapes !!

God helps
God heals
God gives guidance
ROCCO

Indio, CA

#711080 Apr 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have a violent and controlling nature.
And one of my sons best friends told me just yesterday that he considers Mrs RR & I his family.
So take your bullshit, lying remarks and shove em up your bath house living faggy ass.
Funny thing, that.

Right out of "A Home at the End of the World", where Bobby even ends up moving in with Johnny and his parents.

You'll miss what I'm not saying unless you research the movie.

But unlike Johnny's parents, you would be much, much less accepting of their friendship....

Evolution is true.....

#711081 Apr 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Clearly you don't understand what Behe means by irreducible complexity, and how it works when you reduce the complexity of a bacterial flagellum in any way, shape or form.
You probably get your information from some atheist journal or from your atheist "pastor".
“Actually, flagella vary widely from one species to another, and some of the components can perform useful functions by themselves. They are anything but irreducibly complex.....”

“....However, what has been discovered so far - that flagella vary greatly and that at least some of the components and proteins of which they are made can carry out other useful functions in the cells - show that they are not "irreducibly complex...."

“....More generally, the fact that today's biologists cannot provide a definitive account of how every single structure or organism evolved proves nothing about design versus evolution....”

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn13663-e...

I'm not lying to you RR, irreducibly complexity is not true. The creationists literature you read really is lying to you.

Evolution is true.....

#711082 Apr 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I see. That makes perfect sense. Based on this information, I venture to say that most of the atheists we see here are skeptical thinkers because a lot of them have already come to the "conclusion" on things like Jesus didn't exist, or God doesn't exist, or the Bible is nothing but myth, etc. They've come to these false conclusions because like you said, they're using presupposing falsehoods without examining any facts.
It's sort of like they're afraid to, like if they look at any real facts or try cross-reference anything relating to Christianity or the Bible, it might tear down their atheist "facts".
Thanks for the info.
"....on things like Jesus didn't exist...."

Took me about 3 or 4 years of hard studying to come to this conclusion. There was probably a MAN who was co-opted into the role...He was NOT a God...in my opinion.

Non-existence of God I had figured out by age 13. Then the internet came along many decades after I rejected any god or gods...tons of supporting information for my feelings:-)

These are not false conclusions my friend, they are MY conclusions, and I feel every bit as comfortable with them as you do yours.

I am not a 'hater', I just know that I have the truth in my corner, and I like to proselytize.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#711084 Apr 3, 2014
G'night all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 min WasteWater 105,618
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min Atheist Buster 48,741
Jesus and Muhammad were FRAUDS 4 min DebraE 10
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 6 min WasteWater 2,062
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 20 min bad bob 182,651
Ladies, what is the sexual act you most enjoy? 53 min Mustang GT Girl 12
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 1 hr Classic 3,684
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr Rosesz 646,602
Things poping up while i was sitting on my dads... (Jun '11) 21 hr Bluehair79 67
More from around the web