Prove there's a god.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#709671 Apr 1, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is homosexuality mentioned besides Leviticus ?
Oh geez, Ben.

Go away.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#709672 Apr 1, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>How did your Asian vacation go? The one where you and your partner were so eagerly looking forward to picking out strangers to nail.
Yep, bet that required a lot of inner "wallet" beauty.
Wow, you really are sick. Seek help.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#709673 Apr 1, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:

Scrooge, please dial back the insults. They don't help your arguments.
O.O

RR does not impress easily.

You've impressed me.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#709674 Apr 1, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
It is also rejected by reputable scholars. There is a long list of such people spanning three centuries at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_myth_theo...
<quoted text>
And I include Anglican priest Tom Harpur.
<quoted text>
This is not much of a rebuttal of the work of these people. It is the unsupported opinion of a man of faith about the people who challenge that faith - hardly a milieu for objectivity.
In any event, there is a huge body of skepticism for the claim of Jesus' historicity, and the issue is far from settled. He might have lived, and he might not have. The jury is out.
Those with a mythical view of Jesus, such as Richard Carrier, do make some very good argument. They are thought provoking if not 100% convincing. If nothing else, they are excellent arguments of the mythical nature of the Jesus stories even if a person named Jesus was the seed of them.

I like to point at the stories of Daniel Boone. Boone was a real historical figure and some of the stories told of him actually happened. But there are also a lot of stories about him that are pure mythology. This is an example of how an historical figure becomes mythologized.

My personal view is that there was a charismatic religious teacher in Palestine during the early 1st century that was mythologized by his followers. Or perhaps there were several that became blended into one figure. The stories told of this person (or amalgam of persons) are like the stories told of Boone...pure fiction centered around a real person.

And, as you pointed out, the existence of Jesus is not the important part of the discussion, but the divinity of Jesus. IMHO the divinity of Jesus is a just-so story.

San Francisco

#709675 Apr 1, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Never expect consistency from a pathological liar.
Oh, I don't think he is a pathological liar. He just likes to troll.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#709676 Apr 1, 2014
wilderide wrote:
Please cite where I made such a claim.
Apologies, it wasn't you that said it, it was "thewordofme". You just didn't disagree with him, you perpetuated the conversation.

When you asked waaaasuup why he was bringing up homosexuality again, thewordofme responded:

thewordofme wrote:
I think he wants some....

wilderide wrote:
At the very least he is constantly committing adultery in his heart. At least that is how Jesus would look at it. I don't know why waaaasup seeks to constantly make Jesus endure more and more pain and suffering to cover the sins that waaaasup does nothing to curb.

“First it steals your mind..”

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#709677 Apr 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The serpent in Genesis was Satan. So no, I have to disagree on your plain and elementary interpretation of Genesis 3. Satan was doing one of the following three things:
1) Appearing as a serpent.
2) Possessing a serpent.
3) Deceiving Adam and Eve into believing that it was the serpent who was talking to them.
Which of the three is unknown and unclear. Revelation 12 reveals to us that the serpent was in fact Satan, "that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan". The Bible is not clear whether or not the serpent stood up or walked before the curse. Maybe, like other reptiles, it walked on four legs...
Okay, in light of your answer, some new quessies, if I may

1) Genesis is the first book of the Bible. Revelation is the last. I am no Biblical scholar, but I am going to guess that Genesis was written maybe 3000 or so years before Revelation. Am I in the ballpark?

2) Am I correct in assuming that you believe all the books in the Bible is divinely inspired writings? Maybe not verbatim as they deity would have put it, but perhaps it was visions that the deity gave the writers. Would you agree with that?

3) Now. Why is the "fact" (I am using a very liberal translation of the word) that the serpent mentioned in Genesis was actually Satan himself known to the writer of Revelation, but not the writer of Genesis? What happened in the 3000 (or so) years inbetween? Did the deity come into any new knowledge in the mean time?

4) Is it possible that the deity did not know at the time of the Genesis account that the serpent was in fact Satan?

5) If it is not possible and the deity was aware, why would the Genesis writer put to paper "the craftiest of all wild animals"?

6) Then, if it was really the devil in the guise of the serpent, why did the deity curse the animal? What did the animal itself do wrong?

Only those for now

#709678 Apr 1, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Not the best film made
In a ranking 1 to 10 for films I give it a 3 maybe 4
In a ranking of 1 to 10 for Sylvester Stallone films, I’d give it a 15
Good afternoon to the bestest saffa
I will agree that it is not that good a movie, but there is a campy quality to it that I find appealing.

Another of Stallone's movies I like is Cliffhanger. Stallone's performance is barely above his typical tepid style (and saying tepid is being generous), but I think Lithgow's performance as the anti-hero stole the show. But then, Lithgow is a vastly superior actor compared to Stallone.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#709679 Apr 1, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, then God is culpable for the evil which it both created and then judges.
How do you figure?
When you put cookies in the cookie jar then tell your son not to eat the cookies and he does anyway, are you at fault or your son? Would you put the blame on you for having the cookies out or would you punish your son for not obeying you?

San Francisco

#709680 Apr 1, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
"Submit or be tortured for eternity." is not freewill unless you are a lunatic.
I know, right? They consider being coerced at metaphysical gunpoint to be "freewill". At least the sects which believe in Hell do. Fortunately not all do.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#709681 Apr 1, 2014
wilderide wrote:
Who is "we"?
All of us.

San Francisco

#709682 Apr 1, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahh, the modern way, hmm, no, not for me, I prefer the old way - LOL
The past was different and we have an ancestry that stretches right into the past
Spoken like a true Brit. I'm American; we just popped into existence recently, you see. ;)

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#709683 Apr 1, 2014
wilderide wrote:

Oh, I don't think he is a pathological liar. He just likes to troll.
An Internet troll is One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.

You think that's what I do?!

San Francisco

#709684 Apr 1, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I was cozy and buzzed....screw you, grandpa. This ain't semester finals.:p
And ageist too, what a surprise. Is there anyone or anything you don't hate?

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#709685 Apr 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I would be that lame.
Don't hate on the animals, woman.
I would gladly trade any one of these creatures'...

" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadaverine" ;

....existence for that of any bear's.

“First it steals your mind..”

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#709686 Apr 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
O.O
RR does not impress easily.
You've impressed me.
DS is a solid guy.

Not as solid as Double Fine, but solid nonetheless

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#709687 Apr 1, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
And the fact remains that you called black kids monkeys
Kind of stereotypical of a racist slur – do you agree?
Tell me would you call a group of whit christian kids fighting monkeys?
you can bet your life that, them monkeys would sure as hell call us a box of crackers!

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#709688 Apr 1, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
RR is typical racist white trash. Our "Bible Belt" is full of them. Seems a large number of them are employable and uneducated and spend their welfare checks on computers and Internet access.
And Drugs!
Ghost Writer

Rome, NY

#709689 Apr 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose you could be right, it could be an agenda. That makes perfect sense to me. That would explain the constant sky daddy, sky fairy, babble, cheezus, etc. remarks that they constantly use.
Why do atheists have the need to try and disprove the Bible or Christianity to uphold their atheism? That's the part I don't understand. I don't have the need to prove atheists wrong so I can uphold my Christianity.
I know I come across as arrogant and obnoxious, and that's the fun side here on the internet. However, this question must be answered very carefully and with respect for the individual atheist. Not all atheists are atheists for the same reasons. Some have been truly treated rather poorly by those who claim to represent our faith. There is some real justifiable anger and resentment on a very personal level. We must acknowledge that those issues are as real as they are tragic. Now that doesn't mean I'm trying to make a martyr or victim of everyone out there. That would be a stereotype. I think there are a lot of atheists who just value their own sovereignty as "freethinkers." Others may well be agnostic and just enjoy playing "Devil's Advocate" with us. I think that's a good thing in a way. It should cause us to think about what we believe and why we believe it. I really don't fault anyone if they're genuine and honest about why they value a particular worldview. What I don't have patience for is laziness and personal arrogance. I'm not really arrogant as a person because I recognize everyone is free to believe as they choose and it doesn't make one superior to another. However, there are those who feel superior as humans. I only display superiority as a historian here. When I leave the office at the end of the day, I'm just like everyone else. No better, no worse.

#709690 Apr 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Genesis 3 doesn't say that, so I can't comment on what it doesn't say.
We can discuss each and every one of your Biblical misunderstandings if you want, I'd be happy to. Let's take them one at a time.
Check out the God's Word translation of Genesis 3:1...

"The snake was more clever than all the wild animals the LORD God had made."

And, since the Bible story says that God cursed the serpent to crawl on its belly, it seems pretty clear to me that "serpent" meant "snake", apologist aside.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
the BIGGEST "LIE" LAPD's Tom Lange EVER told! 58 min Doctor REALITY 5
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 58 min River Tam 104,533
News Michael Jackson's doctor: 'I told the truth' (Aug '09) 1 hr Spotted Wee 394
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 hr RiversideRedneck 672,928
Speedway- Have You Purchased a Money order and... (Sep '09) 6 hr Neil1210 28
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 8 hr bad bob 184,571
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 12 hr Holy Child Jehova... 445,843
More from around the web