Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Judged:

i watched the Noah movie this afternoon. i was crying a few times. a great movie with a good ending. i love it.

tears fell from my eyes

_____ fell from my nose ?

“Let the games begin. . .”

Since: Jun 13

Botany Bay

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> The mamba delivers a massive dose in a bite is why it kills so bad. But I have sorta agree I saw films of the mamba, it likes to go into peoples houses and hide and will attack everything and will also bite through a bag. It short it's a nasty animal you don't want to meet.
But the Brown, Tiger Snake , Death Adder, and Taipan are not to be trifled with either, nor the King cobra. Which the King cobra may actually kill more people than all the rest, because the poor medical facilities and remoteness of location of those bitten by them.
This answer seems to agree with you. That's because of the AMOUNT of venom that King Cobras inject when they bite. Also, they live in India with a huge population - and the highest amount of fatalities from any snakebite.
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index...
http://wellsking.tripod.com/Worldrec20.htm

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Judged:

BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
That describes the "God" that I believe in.
"When you do things right, it will look like you have done nothing at all."
That is the result the "wizard" seeks to achieve..........

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Judged:

Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
That is the result the "wizard" seeks to achieve..........
...and the responsible camper.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Judged:

Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Now the black mamba.
Not being African, when I made that comment I had no idea just how incredibly dangerous they truly are. Website after website calls it the deadliest snake in Africa, if not in the world.
http://animals.nationalgeographic.com.au/anim...
http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/black_mamba.h...
http://www.livescience.com/43559-black-mamba....
http://www.kidzworld.com/article/1078-wild-th...
http://goafrica.about.com/od/africasafariguid...
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/account...
I found this video the most chilling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
In conclusion, the inland taipan is undoubtedly the most venomous snake in the world, but with no human deaths. OTOH the black mamba is much DEADLIER, with many thousands of casualties on its fangs.
Yip, you can ask any herpie about the most dangerous snake, and the Black Mamba would almost invariably be its #1.
Being next to this animal is akin to a religious experience. It is simply a marvel.
As for most snakebite deaths, the biggest killers are the Big Four in India (Russel's Viper, Indian Cobra, Saw Scaled Viper and Common Krait), as well as Africa's Puff Adder. However. These snakes are encountered on a very regular basis. As you know, Taipans are hardly encountered in the wild, same story with our Mamba. When they hear humans coming along, they choose to escape. Adders and vipers typically just sit still (and then get stepped on).
But one on one? I would say that the top three most dangerous snakes are the Black Mamba, the Coastal Taipan and the Forest Cobra.
In terms of murine LD50 values, the Inland Taipan is the most venomous snake in the world, however, LD50 does have its limitations.
Let me give you a great example. Herr in Africa, we have a very big viperid called the Gaboon Viper. It is the largest venomous snake, weighing more than any King Cobra, Black Mamba or Eastern Diamondback. They have the longest fangs of any venomous snake, plus they have by far the highest venom yield of any venomous snake. Their LD50 for mice values are not that impressive.
However, the gaboon vioer does not eat mice. They eat larger prey, like birds and small apes. When a study was done on monkeys, their LD50 values shot through the roof, showing researchers that their venom is terrifyingly potent, close to that of the Mamba. However, their bite dose is about SIX TIMES more than the Mamba! Luckily, this is a hell of a lazy snake and they are not easily angered - even when you step on one they may hesitate to bite.
So for mice, their results were disappointing. But on monkeys (which genetic make up much closer to ours), they really were deadly

Botany Bay

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Lolz sorry for the overflow of information, but snakes are one of my favourite topics.
Black Mamba has always been feared and revered in its native Africa. Before antivenin for the snake was available, all Black Mamba bites were fatal. That is where the "kiss of death" monniker came from. I cannot adequately put into words just how much this snake is feared in Africa. Even me, a rational-minded snake lover (who does not believe the fables told about the animal) is in awe whenever I see one. It is an experience I find electrifying. It makes chills go down my spine. What I see presented is arguably the most dangerous land animal since the last days of the Cretaceous. It is almost spiritual in nature, to see this primitive killing machine up close.
Anyways. In the early 90's, Black Mambas were thought to be toxic, but not extremely toxic, as the LD 50 tests on mice yielded disappointing values. However, this did not sit right with researchers. Here was an animal that could kill a fully grown elephant with one bite! Then the eureka moment came.
Usually, we use a saline solution to test the potency of snake venom on a test subject. Since the Black Mamba's venom is of such low molar density, the saline solution was thought to hinder the peptides to deliver the kill.
So they tested Black Mamba venom with a bovine solution, and the results were frightening. A 0.05mg LD50 figure for murine subjects when injected into the skin. 0.01 if it hits a vein. This is much closer to the deadly effecr of the venom in nature. I kid you not! A pride of lions would not tangle with a single adult specimen.
Yes, they certainly are deadly.

However they say it's a myth that the black mamba can overtake a person on horseback. On foot, they would be fast enough.

That's something.

“talk to the kitteh”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Judged:

BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
I base it on all their posts. Your Topix persona is a cupid stunt.
At least hers isn't that of a toxic chump...

http://xaxor.com/images/Chump-Magic/Chump-Mag...

....like yours.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Judged:

Ghost Writer 2 You wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe historical events described in the Bible are true in different ways, when fairly considering the genre of the writing, archaeological confirmation, literary styles, and so forth.
For example, the account in Matthew in which Jesus gives a prophecy about the destruction of the Temple. He said not one stone would be left standing among the buildings that comprised the temple compound. And His prophecy was correct. The only thing left standing after the Roman sacking of Jerusalem in 70 A.D. was the Western Wall. The Western Wall was NOT part of the Temple proper, but a portion of the platform that the Temple rested upon. When Herod the Great rebuilt the Temple Mount, he had his engineers extend the surface area to accommodate all of the buildings. The Temple proper and the complex was much bigger than what Solomon had originally built. It's an amazing piece of engineering.
Which proves that 'Matthew' was written after 70 AD.

Next!

“talk to the kitteh”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Judged:

Hukt on Fonix wrote:
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherf_cking snakes on this motherf_cking thread!
aww...don't leave mad, just leave.

lol

“talk to the kitteh”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Judged:

Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nuttier than a shithouse rat!
No more so than you.
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

andet1987 wrote:
i watched the Noah movie this afternoon. i was crying a few times. a great movie with a good ending. i love it.
tears fell from my eyes
_____ fell from my nose ?
Here,watch something funny now

http://youtu.be/PGOOP52Tbl4

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Scrooge is a Liar wrote:
<quoted text>
You never answered my question. You have nothing.
It must be awful to live a life based on lies.
You're an atheist, a pathetic situation.
What lie?

Is there proof there's a god?

I don't believe there is.

No need to disprove what's never been proven.

When the challenge "Prove there's a god" is made... the only correct answer is "Can't be done. There is no proof."

You're the one struggling here, not me.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, they certainly are deadly.
However they say it's a myth that the black mamba can overtake a person on horseback. On foot, they would be fast enough.
That's something.
Yep, that is a myth. Mambas are clocked at about 11 miles an hour. A human running flat out would do faster.

HOWEVER: when you are facing a black mamba and it comes at you, they are much faster than you could handle.

But such a cool animal! And that coffin shaped head! Its like evolution went to making this animal look the part.
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Scrooge is a Liar wrote:
<quoted text>
Your laughter of insecurity is noted and filed.
File it up your aZZ Porter boy,,no one cares!!
LOL

Botany Bay

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
The Water Moccasin is a badass snake. We had one in the reptile park I worked at while at varsity. He did have his bitch fits.
Problem with those snakes, as well as most of the other viperids, is that they are lazy. They would hear an intruder and then wait him out, sure that it would just pass by. It is then that these animals are stepped on.
Elapids (mambas, cobras, coral snakes, taipans, kraits) are far more energetic and they opt to choose a hasty retreat upon hearing an intruder. Even the most aggressive of elapids would rather avoid confrontation.
Coming back to that Moccasin. He always kind of eyed me. It was a big, fat specimen. Hungry fellow, he was.
We once had a strange thing happen there. One of the park workers (not a handler, they usually just did the rationing and janitorial duties) had a young boy. I cannot remember how old he was, I seem to recall it was 6 or 7. He disappeared and as luck would have it, a day prior to that, the green anaconda escaped its cage. When the snake was found, it was obvious that it was fed. The park workers were sure that he ate the missing boy and they threatened to bring out the police. The handlers then had to agitate the anaconda into regurgitating its meal, to prove to the angry mob that it ate a dead sheep.
Lolz. Those were the days
When I was a kid, I did some work experience @ the Australian Reptile Park, Gosford. That was very interesting, even tho I was mainly cleaning cages.

That park was set up by the "snake man" Eric Worrell (1924-87). He was a naturalist all his life, esp with snakes.
http://www.reptilepark.com.au/about-us/histor...
http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/worrell-eric-...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Worrell

In the Fifties, he travelled to Queensland to capture coastal taipans to "milk" for their venom. They are responsible for many fatalies, unlike the inland variety, because they live in the more populated part of Queensland. Many people refused to work in the sugarcane fields, terrified of being bitten.

At the time, there was no anti-venene. So had he been bitten before one was developed with his help in 1955, it would have been a certain death sentence. So Worrell was a very brave man, he will always be one of my heroes.

The Reptile Park still milks some of the deadly snakes - taipans, tiger snakes and even cobras; including in their shows. This is sent to Commonwealth Serum Laboratories to make anti-venenes. They have saved many, many lives.

Of course they wouldn't let a kid of 15 near some of the world's deadliest snakes! I was allowed to handle harmless carpet snakes and even a Burmese python, walking around with it draped over me. As a result, I don't have the phobia of snakes that many people do - Ophidiophobia - just a very healthy respect of them.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Judged:

nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>aww...don't leave mad, just leave.
lol
Can't.

Your nose is in the way.
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

<quoted text>
And that's exactly why you're missing the point. You're trying to scientifically debunk a philosophical/theological account. You're using an empirical methodology to debunk something that isn't an empirical claim to begin with. Good grief!!! LMAO!!
You really think we believe that God uttered words and by those words the universe and life on Earth just happened to exist? That's ridiculous!! Of course there was a process, but I don't for a minute believe that God issued a command and "Poof!" there were planets and stars, and animals and plants.
Let's take a closer look at Genesis. I'll commentate as we go along. My commentary will be in brackets.
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
[This says who did it. Not how.]
3 And God said,“Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.
[When God said "Let there be light." it indicates an intention to create light. God declared a goal, and then accomplished the goal. What happened and how it happened between those two events doesn't matter. It doesn't describe any process whatsoever. Agreed? Let's move along. Notice that God separates light from darkness but still no process is described. It only says what He did, and NOT HOW it was done. Therefore, we can use reasoning to infer that the author doesn't care how it was done. Or at least not enough to offer a description. It's irrelevant. He doesn't take any pains to describe a process. If it was central to the purpose of the narrative, don't you think it would've been written down? Even if wrong by our own modern understanding of science? I mean really. If such a book as the Bible is so important to humanity, and if the process by which creation occurred is so important, then the process would've been written down. And it wasn't. So all of your debunking is in vain. It's like trying to officiate a baseball game using ice hockey rules.]
Quoting the scripture isnt allowed here to prove god,,

try again

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

<quoted text>
National Geographic ran a series called "World's Deadliest" a few years ago. I happened upon an episode that chronicled the 10 most venomous snakes in the world. All 10 were said to be from Australia.
Most venomous implies toxicity. Currently, toxicity is measured by dubious means: average lethal dose of murine subjects. It is not absolute. Just because a substance is deadly to rats, does not mean that it is lethal to humans as well. Case in point: chocolate is safe to eat for humans, but toxic to dogs and dangerously toxic to cats.

Also, remember that there are many ways to administer venom. Under the skin? Into a muscle? Into a vein?

Lastly, these tests do not take into account aggression. Some species are fiercely aggressive and will even come to you in order to give a bite.
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Judged:

bert wrote:
THE END OF ALL THINGS IS AT HAND
REPENT LEST YOU BE LOST FOR ETERNITY
Lay off the drugs pricki

Botany Bay

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
*puts hand up*
Miss! Oh Miss!
"I'm a mean BITCH that is full of hate."
Is grammatically correct, I'm sure you didn't realise you wrote it incorrectly. Just a little error really.
No need to thank me, you're a wonderful and godly teacher, I'm happy to help :-)
That's OK. Just as long as you're good @ it.
:-)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 671,621 - 671,640 of719,974
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

557 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 min Dr_Zorderz 256,365
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 5 min Lyndi 172,205
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min confrinting with the word 532,315
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 8 min Patrick 224,005
Transportes Lozada roba carga de Amebol (Dec '08) 13 min ENRIQUE VARGAS 6
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 14 min Holy dr Shrink 599,038
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 25 min andet1987 3,944
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 57 min Hate troublemaking arabs 114,944
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 1 hr Thamizhan 4,467
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••