Prove there's a god.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#709239 Mar 31, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
Thanks!
"This too shall pass." is my daily mantra.
People that talk about committing suicide are just trying to get attention. Why do you have to do that?

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#709240 Mar 31, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Is your favorite color fuchsia?
~sniggers
Redneck, you constantly exhibit your racist, misogynistic, violent and homophobic qualities, along with other Christian traits.

Your ilk is a blight on society.

It's a good thing you're isolated in your world of crap.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#709241 Mar 31, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
That plumbing can be a drag and so can men, so often profoundly egotestical (correct spelling) but without them there would be no us.
Well, strictly-speaking science has made procreation via sex unnecessary. Maybe Logan's Run really will be our future.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#709242 Mar 31, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> I have been watching a documentary on the History Of The Bible and it is Opposite of what you're saying, it shows that most of what is in the Bible is actual. Archeology can only trace so far back and obviously not from the beginning., but from what I've seen it has proved people, places and events..I just checked, I was watching the show you are talking about. just what part is it that is disproving the Bible?
What is the source? If it comes from Christian apologists, I wouldn't trust it personally. They have too much invested in their beliefs to be neutral.

If it is from the History Channel, then it really isn't trustworthy. The History Channel has been putting out a lot of dreck the past several years.

You claimed to have watched the NOVA and didn't see ANYTHING contradicting the Bible? Wow. Talk about anti-process. Right at the start it mentions that the only historical mention of the Israelites...at least for a very long time...was an Egyptian account of a small tribe in Canaan. No slaves in Egypt. No Moses. No Exodus. No archeological evidence of any of it.

Then there is the conquest of Canaan by Joshua. No archeological evidence of that either. In fact, the archeological evidence contradicts it since the cities collapsed from internal revolt (at least that is what the archeological evidence points to) and that the cities collapsed over a span of centuries...not a swift military campaign lasting but a few years.

And you didn't see ANYTHING contradicting the Bible? Wow. Did we watch the same show?

San Francisco

#709243 Mar 31, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
yes - the Bible says that y'all will be giving each other gifts afterwards like it was your Christmas or something! but this won't last long at all (theologians believe it will be about 3.5 years) during which there will be lots of problems in this world; i.e, intense heat, sore boils from head to toe, nasty insect infestation... only to end with 100lb hail stones crushing all y'all!
have fun!:-)
And all that at the hands of a deity that is supposed to be loving.

Christianity: it certainly isn't about logic.

#709244 Mar 31, 2014
andet1987 wrote:
<quoted text>
i did not read a single word you posted. you are an idiot !! you are way below my level. so, from now on, keep wasting your time with your unread posts.
Oh. First a thin skin. Now ego games. Whatever. You are a mental light-weight, not worth engaging.

Ta ta.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#709245 Mar 31, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Redneck, you constantly exhibit your racist, misogynistic, violent and homophobic qualities, along with other Christian traits.
Your ilk is a blight on society.
It's a good thing you're isolated in your world of crap.
Lighten up, bozo.

#709246 Mar 31, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
It is called willful ignorance and denial of all evidence that contradicts what their religion taught them.
pusherman claims to have watched it, but clearly didn't see the same show I did.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#709247 Mar 31, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
People that talk about committing suicide are just trying to get attention. Why do you have to do that?
I sincerely hope even never have to go through what I am.

Your lack of belief in Jesus has given me strength to carry this cross.

San Francisco

#709248 Mar 31, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Is your favorite color fuchsia?
~sniggers
Nope. I loathe purple in all it's forms.

Is your favorite color recycled Pabst?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#709249 Mar 31, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
I disagree with you about the quality of the evidence for the Christian god, and how to interpret it.
Ghost Writer wrote:
And how do you think the historical and literary evidence for the Christian God should be interpreted?
Evidence for something that exists today needs to be physical, not literary or historical. For example, the Christian god is said to answer prayer - a falsifiable claim. If that is true, it should be demonstrable.
Ghost Writer wrote:
Before you answer that, remember that we're both trained and intelligent professionals. I have experience in collecting and analyzing historical data. You have experience in analyzing medical data. Having said that, I would tread very lightly in assuming I could tell you how to do your job. I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.
It sounds like you want me to defer to your expertise. I don't see how it pertains here.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
I will repeat myself every time you do. Anything can be trusted, although not always justifiably so. And the word faith can used in two radically different ways, one tied to evidence, and the other only to the will to believe.
Ghost Writer wrote:
And you have raised a valid concern. You have also mistakenly applied a broad based stereotype to every Christian with that statement.
My comment isn't stereotyping. It is describing a quality present in everybody who says that there is a god, meaning that it applies not just to every Christian, but to every theist.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#709250 Mar 31, 2014
Jethro Tull

Locomotive Breath

Fennario

#709251 Mar 31, 2014
Ghost Writer wrote:
There is a growing paradigm shift within progressive Christianity to reevaluate the use of the word faith. Your stereotype likely comes from a misunderstood verse in the New Testament book of Hebrews: "Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see." -Hebrews 11:1(NIV)
Note the usage of the word "confidence." It explicitly means "trust." That's what confidence is. When you have confidence in someone, or in something, you "trust" them or it, whatever the case might be.
Christians belief without sufficient evidence. That's religious faith. My understanding of that doesn't come from the Christian bible.
Ghost Writer wrote:
For years many Christians (and atheists) took this to mean that we should exercise faith regardless of what we see or don't see. This passage doesn't indicate that at all. It's a faulty interpretation, and it has led to more real and imagined charges of blind faith, until it has become taken for granted in the secular community that this is an absolute doctrine.
If you consider it a fact that your exists, you are exercising religious faith - the will to believe without sufficient supporting evidence. It has nothing to do with scripture

Fennario

#709252 Mar 31, 2014
Ghost Writer wrote:
What you call "blurring" is really a paradigm shift to correct the misuse of the word faith in both the church and the secular world. And in so doing, we can get the world to understand that faith really does mean trust, and trust really means confidence, and etc, etc.
Good luck with that.

And while you're busy trying to do that, others are busy doing the opposite - identifying two completely different ways of thinking being called the same thing. One is [1] unjustified belief - belief lacking sufficient evidentiary support - that is treated as certain knowledge and that is refractory to contradictory evidence. The other is [2] tentative belief commensurate with the quality and quantity of evidence supporting it, and amenable to change pending new, relevant and compelling evidence.

Each of these is sometimes called faith as in [1] faith in a god and [2] faith in a wife who has never been known to lie or cheat. But they are obviously two different things. No evidence of any kind can normally shake the first kind of belief, because it wasn't arrived at by evidence, and those that believe this way aren't swayed by contradictory evidence.

The second type of faith can be shattered in an instant if you your "faith" is being betrayed when you come home unexpectedly. It was based on evidence, and it was destroyed by evidence.

I choose not to use the same word to describe these two radically different ways of thinking any more. I give the word "faith" to the religious, and use it only in phrases like "I lost faith that my government is working in my interest any more" and "it was done in good (or bad) faith." I tend to use the word trust or confidence to refer to tentative, evidence based, partial knowledge.

You can see my problem with your oversimplification, "faith is trust."

#709253 Mar 31, 2014
Ghost Writer 2 You wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know where you're getting your information, but you really need to check with the best possible sources. I'm not referring to apologetic websites. I'm referring to Israel's own archives. Look at the Israeli Antiquities Authority. They're very thorough in their work and their commitment to preserving the history of the Israeli people. And there aren't any real legitimate grounds to doubt the historicity of Jesus. This is nothing more than trying to remove the linchpin from beneath Christianity. All of the historical data says otherwise. At least the data accepted by reputable scholars. And I include atheist scholars as well. Gerd Ludemann is an atheist and is probably the foremost scholar in the world to represent the atheist perspective on Jesus and the New Testament.
D.M. Murdock, Earl Doherty, and Richard Carrier and the rest are amateurs by comparison. I once sat through half of a video by Carrier before laughing so hard I spilled my coffee. It was a giggle-fest from beginning to end. I sent him a letter saying as much. His reply indicated that he didn't appreciate my critique of his comedy routine. Oh well.:)
So much for your academic credentials.

Fennario

#709254 Mar 31, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The serpent was Satan
And the walrus was Paul.

#709255 Mar 31, 2014
Ghost Writer 2 You wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know where you're getting your information, but you really need to check with the best possible sources. I'm not referring to apologetic websites. I'm referring to Israel's own archives. Look at the Israeli Antiquities Authority. They're very thorough in their work and their commitment to preserving the history of the Israeli people. And there aren't any real legitimate grounds to doubt the historicity of Jesus. This is nothing more than trying to remove the linchpin from beneath Christianity. All of the historical data says otherwise. At least the data accepted by reputable scholars. And I include atheist scholars as well. Gerd Ludemann is an atheist and is probably the foremost scholar in the world to represent the atheist perspective on Jesus and the New Testament.
D.M. Murdock, Earl Doherty, and Richard Carrier and the rest are amateurs by comparison. I once sat through half of a video by Carrier before laughing so hard I spilled my coffee. It was a giggle-fest from beginning to end. I sent him a letter saying as much. His reply indicated that he didn't appreciate my critique of his comedy routine. Oh well.:)
Can you say "argument from authority"?

BTW...there is no historical evidence for this Jesus fellow.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#709256 Mar 31, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
pusherman claims to have watched it, but clearly didn't see the same show I did.
There are several shows containing various theologians saying that the Bible is extremely flawed.

The "Literalists" are a 3% minority in Christianity. Sadly they are 25% of USA Protestants.

"The problem with freedom is that people are free to be as stupid as they desire."

“"None shall pass"”

There

#709257 Mar 31, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
I sincerely hope even never have to go through what I am.
Your lack of belief in Jesus has given me strength to carry this cross.
^^^ even you never have to go through ^^^^

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#709258 Mar 31, 2014
wilderide wrote:
Well, strictly-speaking science has made procreation via sex unnecessary.
Ya but where's the fun in that?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 25 min Tellthetruth 447,410
I miss her so bad. Should I reach out? 49 min mikex28 1
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 1 hr Nohweh 71,615
How to make an interracial relationship work 2 hr malvin48 1
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr Gay Equals Pervert 699,410
James Comey's conflicted TWO FACES 5 hr Dang Jersey Piney 122
Are Quadroons and Griffes Considered Mulatto? (Aug '10) 5 hr Jank 55