Prove there's a god.

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

#707166 Mar 26, 2014
Ghost Writer 2 You wrote:
<quoted text>
Christianity isn't about science. It's concern is the spiritual nature of man in relationship to the spiritual creator. But thanks for playing the game. Johnny has a nice consolation prize backstage for you. Bye-bye now.:)
Funny you should say that. You've posted numerous times that you feel ID should be given "equal time" in the Science class room, because it's only fair. In your opinion, should any un established, generally unaccepted theory get equal time with theories that had to go through the long process of proof and production of evidence?

Science doesn't work on "fairness" but on merit. The position that has the best evidence, has withstood a long barrage of criticism, has been modified in the face of new data and is in harmony with it, and has the most support from knowledgeable workers in the field is the theory that should be taught in education.
What your argument is suggesting is that Science is simply a matter of opinion, and that one theory is just as good as another. This may be true in religion, where the ideas cannot be verified, but science is quite another matter. This is why science can neither be treated on a "fairness" system nor mixed with religion.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#707167 Mar 26, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text>So, you think that turned him into a psychotic homosexual cannibal that had a thirst for human flesh and wanting to screw dead people? not likely!
Eat the body of the jesus, eat a random body. I wonder how some children perceive the cannibalism and zombie worship in the bible myth.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#707168 Mar 26, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Which one?
Take your pick.

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#707169 Mar 26, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> So, you think that turned him into a psychotic homosexual cannibal that had a thirst for human flesh and wanting to screw dead people? not likely!
No, not necessarily. But humans are not clones. What one person will overcome and make a success, another may fall to new depths of depravity. Everyones brain is wired just a little differently than any other brain on the planet. It, and alcohol dependence did produce a cannibal. We have no idea what was messed up in his brain, but obviously something was.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#707170 Mar 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

Oh ya, sure science corrects itself.

That's why Haeckel's fake embryo drawings are still in textbooks today.
Double Fine wrote:
Which textbook? Where?
http://www.discovery.org/a/3935#text2

http://www.discovery.org/a/3935#text5

http://www.discovery.org/a/3935#text8

Miller and Levine's Biology

Belk and Borden's Biology: Science for Life

Sylvia Mader's 2010 textbook, Biology

Location hidden

#707171 Mar 26, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Eat the body of the jesus, eat a random body. I wonder how some children perceive the cannibalism and zombie worship in the bible myth.
Nice try Doc.
Henry

Germany

#707172 Mar 26, 2014
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny you should say that. You've posted numerous times that you feel ID should be given "equal time" in the Science class room, because it's only fair. In your opinion, should any un established, generally unaccepted theory get equal time with theories that had to go through the long process of proof and production of evidence?
Science doesn't work on "fairness" but on merit. The position that has the best evidence, has withstood a long barrage of criticism, has been modified in the face of new data and is in harmony with it, and has the most support from knowledgeable workers in the field is the theory that should be taught in education.
What your argument is suggesting is that Science is simply a matter of opinion, and that one theory is just as good as another. This may be true in religion, where the ideas cannot be verified, but science is quite another matter. This is why science can neither be treated on a "fairness" system nor mixed with religion.
Science is the only human System which can be excepted. Religion is of course a myth no more.

Location hidden

#707173 Mar 26, 2014
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>
How could you give it equal time and not have the shortest science class in history. God did it is all ID could say.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#707174 Mar 26, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a good idea to keep it spiritual. Making falsifiable claims just leads to falsification.
I tried to teach this lesson to RR. Bullshit doesn't like to be nailed down.
You tried to teach me that Christianity isn't science? I've never said that Christianity is science. I've never sent theology or religion is science.

What the hell are you talking about?
Henry

Germany

#707175 Mar 26, 2014
<quoted text>
Perhaps it's unfortunate that you're engaging in ethnocentrism. Google that. It's why you are incapable of understanding it. This in no ways suggests you're stupid. Just excessively and obnoxiously ignorant.
Forget all relions and turn to science as the only human occupation.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#707176 Mar 26, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
I read all of those things but they had nothing to do with whether he was religious except for the facts I mentioned. His grandmother kicked him out because he had her house smelling like a morgue most of the time from his dead animals he kept in the basement and shed. Bleaching bones.
His father was always working and his mother was a kind of hypochondriac and never paid him any attention. She wanted all the attention. Probably Munchausen syndrome. So he was a child of total neglect.
This is a correct post on all counts.

Please explain that to DS, maybe she'll understand that since his parents paid very little attention to him, his so-called Christian upbringing wasn't really there.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#707177 Mar 26, 2014
Apparently you don't know the definition of ethnocentrism. Ethnocentrism is the belief that one ethnic culture is superior to another or that one historic ethnic group is inferior to the modern age.
Yeah. Christianity promotes itself as a superior culture. Most of the harm that Christianity has caused has been from being ethnocentric.
In the case of Western Atheism, it's the belief that ancient authors were mistaken in their writings because of things we know now. As an example, science is hailed by a majority of New Atheists as the only way to know reality. As such, scientism assumes that the Biblical account of creation in Genesis is about scientific processes and is therefore flawed.
Either you're making a claim about reality or you aren't. If you are, as rational skeptics, the only tool we have to evaluate that claim is rational skepticism. We don't value faith.

We classify the Bible as myth because we cannot differentiate between it and any other thing we also classify as a myth.
The real flaw isn't the writing in Genesis. The flaw is the modern view that Genesis is scientifically based when it clearly isn't. It's a totally different genre.
It doesn't matter what genre it is.

If you want to protect claims from falsification, you can make unfalsifiable claims to cover them.

Satan has been known to bury dinosaur fossils, according to some Christians. What can we say to that?
Not all ideologies are equal. They can't all be true at the same time in the same way. This is the Law of Non-contradiction, as I'm sure you're well aware.
I'm aware of it. I use it to construct conditional proofs that things are impossible, like the Bible god.

The science VS Bible arguments aren't nearly as strong as one made up of only a definition and a logical proof.
Christianity has improved in some ways, but declined in others. There's a 2,000 year history that will inevitably display ebb and flow if correctly and honestly analyzed. If there was ever a dark period in Christianity, it was just prior to the Protestant Reformation. Scientists were being condemned as heretics, witches were being hunted, and bribes for salvation were accepted and coerced by the RCC.
While modern Western skeptics remain cynical and suspicious of Christianity in general, there have been some truly astounding and wonderful improvements. Fundamentalism is in decline and progressive Christianity is improving in both quality and numbers. People are moving away from the corporate mega-churches associated with slick televangelists. Christianity as a whole is not in decline on a global scale. It is growing more rapidly than ever. In Western culture, we're seeing decline in church attendance in mainstream denominations, but an increase in smaller house churches and house church networking. This is taking us back to the original roots of Biblical Christianity. And I think that's a good thing.
I agree that some of those trends are good, but we likely disagree about why they are good.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#707178 Mar 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What asteroids or meteors have scientists analyzed?
Look it up – google will do, there are thousands of analyses.

And hey, you could even get rich quick, http://www.topcoder.com/asteroids/asteroiddat...

Location hidden

#707179 Mar 26, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, not necessarily. But humans are not clones. What one person will overcome and make a success, another may fall to new depths of depravity. Everyones brain is wired just a little differently than any other brain on the planet. It, and alcohol dependence did produce a cannibal. We have no idea what was messed up in his brain, but obviously something was.
What's really scary is the Maniacs like him, that hasn't been caught. Do you think he was remorseful?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#707180 Mar 26, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
How could you give it equal time and not have the shortest science class in history. God did it is all ID could say.
Not true.

The theory of intelligent design holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection.

Location hidden

#707181 Mar 26, 2014
Cheese Us wrote:
<quoted text>
Science has reduced many of the gaps that theists use to make god of the gaps arguments.
Science has diminished the influence of those arguments.
Which means, where the Bible makes god of the gaps arguments, fewer are compelling to people now than they once were when those gaps were open.
Yep, god is now pushed up into two corners, abiogenesis and the Big Bang. Science has figured all the rest out. He has run out of hiding places.

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

#707182 Mar 26, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
:D
True Dat!
Henry

Germany

#707183 Mar 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Are laborers, teachers, stay at home parents, engineers, and nurses productive outside their respective fields? If you think yes, why?
Theology is the study of God and religious belief. God and religious belief give people hope, if nothing else. Your hatred of Christians is irrelevant to the facts.
The Facts are there is and there was never any god at all. All religions are fakes or worse crimes.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#707184 Mar 26, 2014
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Forget all relions and turn to science as the only human occupation.
But I like my relion.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#707185 Mar 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The speculation of what happened 65 million years ago. It's sort of like working on a hundred piece puzzle and only having 25 pieces, what the end result will look like a speculation.
What was my very very wrong statement about iridium founded meteorites?
The average pay for an archaeologist in the US is about $60,000 a year, you call that a pittance?
The iridium layer not speculation, it is hard, measurable, physical evidence on a world wide scale that is dated in the geological column. The layer centres on Chicxulub crater

Yes $60,000 pa is a pittance, a primary level school teacher earns that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 4 min It aint necessari... 49,236
Bring back thd human sexuality forum? 35 min jonie061 8
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 58 min Annaleigh 105,649
How to solve racism (and sexism) once and for all 1 hr Johnny 7
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 2 hr RiccardoFire 44,709
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr MUQ2 281,280
Erotic, tantric and nuru massage - Central London (Sep '12) 3 hr toby lad 8
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr truth 646,781
topix drops human sexuality forum.......this be... 9 hr taylorr 25
More from around the web