Prove there's a god.
Cheese Us

United States

#707082 Mar 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
When the rational freethinking skeptical evidence-based person spouts off evidence of God, I'd very much like to see what they have to offer.
So far, nothing.
LOL.......You're not too bright, are you?

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#707083 Mar 25, 2014
scaritual wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You think wrong.
There are many ways to get a ticket straight to hell, murder is one of them.
<quoted text>
<Ar aR>"...Hit's so pow'rfulll, hit's pow'rfullll I'm a tellin ye..!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =1cZUCH6KKt4XX
I'm not much for pranks, but I'd love to sneak this into a church service somewhere.

Ha!

Location hidden

#707084 Mar 25, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
I heard a bullfrog talk one time, but I was under extreme duress at the time.:-/
"Let me out of here! There's fangs!"

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#707085 Mar 25, 2014
Ghost Writer 2 You wrote:
<quoted text>
And why are you reading and accepting the findings from a geologist on the subject of biology from a religious institution that you would generally mistrust?
That's like reading a do it yourself plumbing book from Home Depot to diagnose a lower gastrointestinal infection.
I'm guessing your idea of a perfect school or college would be one that taught there really was a world-wide flood and that the stratigraphy record proves this flood.

And that all the bone and DNA evidence says that there was an Adam and Eve; that there was plenty of evidence for the both the Exodus, and Joshua's conquest of all those cities; that god deigned to come to earth and confuse the one language that was used then, and that all those 50 or so methods of age-dating were wrong, etc., etc.

It's just so convenient to have all your myths taught in one place....

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#707086 Mar 25, 2014
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
But, we DO know that. We have known that for more than a hundred years, since the Alvarez hypothesis. You want to know how we know? Because scientists analysed the elements inside asteroids and meteors, as well as imoact sites of those, and found iridium in much greater quantities per unit of area than is found on earth.
Just because YOU are not aware of a certain fact, does not mean WE are unaware of it
What's important is that Iridium is one of the least abundant elements in the Earth's crust, having an average mass fraction of 0.001 ppm in crustal rock.
That means higher concentrations have to have come from elsewhere, and we know the iridium content in asteroids is much higher. You can't educate the willfully ignorant, they and especially arr arr are quite venomous to science, so much so you could call him the anti-scientist.:)

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#707087 Mar 25, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Unlike a biology text, which is written in clear language about real things, anybody's take on the bible is just as valid as anybody else's.
How so? Can you explain why your interpretation is more accurate than mine?
I just explained that it isn't. In most cases, our versions are equally valid.
Do you have a degree in history? Archeology? Philosophy? Theology? Comparative Religions?
No.Why? Do you think that I can't understand the bible without a degree in one of those?

Fennario

#707088 Mar 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Just as you are incompetent in Christian theology, which is why your take on the Bible is almost always wrong. Simply reading the Bible, or reading certain verses here and there, does not justify a person to call himself a biblical expert. That's what most of you atheists seem to do. I've been studying the Bible 30 times longer than you have, and you think that counts for nothing. I might as well read WebMD, then tell you the right way to practice medicine, because I read it once. Understand?
This issue has been exhausted. Your argument was far from compelling to me..

Location hidden

#707089 Mar 25, 2014
Double Fine wrote:
Damn my eyes, for they lie! How have you been Tide? Good to see another one of my clan
I have not come to abolish the thread, but to fulfill it.

...with a sword!

Has this thread returned to its glory days? It's certainly busy. There's a familiar cast of characters. I think we've witnessed a little resurrection.

Fennario

#707090 Mar 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Most preachers I've known have multiple degrees, masters and doctorate's, in all sorts of theological fields.
And unlike laborers, teachers, stay at home moms, engineers, and nurses, they are unproductive except to their church.

Sorry, but theology is largely detached from reality. It describes nothing out there, explains nothing out there, nor predicts any thing out there. That makes it as sterile as astrology.

Fennario

#707091 Mar 25, 2014
It's a lot more academic than you think. A LOT more. You already have a presupposition to believe it's myth. Why do you have that presupposition and what can you do to overcome that presupposition?
Science, especially cosmology, biology, earth sciences have confirmed that the Genesis creation story is a myth. It's not a fact.
Cheese Us

United States

#707092 Mar 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Just as you are incompetent in Christian theology, which is why your take on the Bible is almost always wrong.
Simply reading the Bible, or reading certain verses here and there, does not justify a person to call himself a biblical expert. That's what most of you atheists seem to do. I've been studying the Bible 30 times longer than you have, and you think that counts for nothing.
I might as well read WebMD, then tell you the right way to practice medicine, because I read it once. Understand?
What do you think having a debilitating confirmation bias does to your take on the Bible?

Hint: It doesn't make you a biblical expert.
Cheese Us

United States

#707093 Mar 25, 2014
<quoted text>
How so? Can you explain why your interpretation is more accurate than mine?
Do you have a degree in history? Archeology? Philosophy? Theology? Comparative Religions?
No. You're a doctor. It's a very empirically based honorable profession. Is a degree in history or archeology any less valid or honorable? Is philosophy less valid? I know you think theology isn't valid but I doubt you've ever seen a textbook on Systematic Theology, let alone opened one.(I have 3, I'll let you borrow one - heavy reading at over 1000 pages each)
So again I ask, with you having only a casual observers (not even a layperson) perspective, why is your interpretation more accurate than mine?
All that studying can't separate you from your extreme confirmation bias where the Bible is concerned.

Fennario

#707094 Mar 25, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Most secular skeptics would agree with Dawkins, but reject Lewontin. Regarding Dawkins, proof is not required for rational, justified belief. Lewontin is simply wrong. We make a sharp distinction between methodological materialism, which says that the physical realm is perforce all that can be studied, and philosophical materialism, which claims that it is all that exists. Ruse is also wrong. He is guilty of equivocating a metaphorical meaning of the word "religion," as in "Football is his religion," with the literal definition that applies to systems like Christianity and Islam. For starters, evolutionary science does try to account for the existence of the conscience and of moral behavior and sentiments through evolutionary mechanisms. but it offers no normative ethics. Science tells us how the world is and was, not how it ought to be. Science is unlike a (literal religion) in many other ways, most notable by its lack of a deity, supernaturalism, mythology, rituals, dogma, ceremonial dress, a concept of the sacred, and instruction on how to live life or what meaning to assign it..
Ah yes, "public relations damage control." LOL Of course you reject Lewontin and Ruse. But not for the reasons you mentioned. They ratted all of you out on atheistic academic snobbery and admitted what the rest of the atheistic academic world won't (can't afford to) admit to, and what we already knew.:) Nice try though. LOL ;)
Bad day?

There's nothing there but your speculations about my motives that contradict what I've told you they are.

What you call snobbery many of us call the inevitable consequence of understanding with an open, impartial, and analytic mind. Religion in the West is simply not being taken as seriously as it had been.
Cheese Us

United States

#707095 Mar 25, 2014
<quoted text>
It's a lot more academic than you think. A LOT more. You already have a presupposition to believe it's myth. Why do you have that presupposition and what can you do to overcome that presupposition?
Why are you deluded, and what can you do to escape this delusion?

Do you have any ideas. We can brainstorm on this together, if you want.
Cheese Us

United States

#707096 Mar 25, 2014
<quoted text>
You really believe we think the world is flat? That's a HUGE misconception on your part. Even the ancients knew the Earth was round by looking at the shadow of the Earth on the surface of the moon. The idea that ALL Christians think the Earth is flat is an urban legend. My aunt was an atheist with an 8th grade education. And she really thought the earth was flat. Guess who demonstrated to her that the Earth is round? Me. A Christian. Go figure.
You'd think that gap was completely closed, but there are still a few flat Earth Christians out there. There's also a fantastic amount of young Earth Christians.

Science and secular ethics have been eroding Christian dogma for a long time now. The slow erosion is leading to an inevitable land slide.
Cheese Us

United States

#707097 Mar 25, 2014
<quoted text>
The historic content is amazingly rich when seen without presuppositions. The Bible spans multiple genres, multiple time periods, multiple authorship. The OT is mathematically confirmed for accuracy (ask me, I'll explain) and the criteria for inclusion of documentation into the NT was very strict. The Council of Laodicea in 363 A.D. set forth the doctrine that what went into the NT was written by eye-witnesses or was based strongly on eye-witness testimony. For those who wish to raise the objection of "hearsay" I would caution that the rules against "hearsay" are a legal principle and not a historic principle. Therefore the objection does not stand firm if there are 2-3 generations of eyewitnesses removed from the event(s) in question.
In antiquity, a 2 or 3 generational separation from the events they describe is not unreasonable in light of the fact that orally dominant cultures could reliably pass information across 6 or more generations easily without changing any details. It wasn't at all like the modern game of 'telephone' that is played today. Therefore, there is a strong case to be made for NT reliability.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, at least for skeptics.

Your standards seem exceptionally low. Are they consistent?

I'm posting this from my space ship. I'm an eyewitness to that.
Cheese Us

United States

#707098 Mar 26, 2014
Hey RR!! I just caught this in "Ain't's" post to me. I had to re-read it. Check it out.
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...
<quoted text>
Did you catch that? One more time!! LOL
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
So they take it all on BLIND FAITH?!?!?!? LMFAO!!!!
DERP!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!
Talk about depth charging your own submarine!!! WOW!!!:D
False Dichotomy.

You just won a thinking cap, courtesy of Cricket Wireless.
Cheese Us

United States

#707099 Mar 26, 2014
<quoted text>
Because in the history of mankind, no deity has ever dared to die and come back to life for the benefit of those He loves.
Go play in the corner with Ben. He needs a playmate who understands his baby talk.
Exactly how many deities do you believe in?
Cheese Us

United States

#707100 Mar 26, 2014
<quoted text>
A tacit admission that "charisma" trumps truth in the American legal system? Interesting.
Is that what he said?

I remember when I had my first beer.
Cheese Us

United States

#707101 Mar 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol
Ya I saw it. "proof is not required for rational belief".
Straight from IANS mouth....
I don't need proof to have a rational belief that the atmosphere outside my door is livable, before opening the door. I don't need proof that my tap water isn't poisonous to have the rational belief that it isn't.

Rational belief is most often held without proof.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min Anthony MN 654,373
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 5 min Buck Crick 64,536
Queen Cleopatra was clearly Black. White people... (Aug '10) 5 min Johnny 844
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 13 min -Madison- 106,597
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 20 min Internet Reality 45,281
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 39 min X Pendable 183,212
Lying and cheating in Dixie Youth Baseball: Lum... (May '12) 1 hr Jim b 252
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 hr Brian_G 281,947
More from around the web