Prove there's a god.

“First it steals your mind..”

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#707075 Mar 25, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>A defendant should never take the stand. Ever.
Well, never say never. I can imagine tht no defense attorney would ever willingly put his client up on the stand - it gives the prosecutor the opportunity to twiat him up and make him look bad.

However, in the Pistorius case, this may be necessary. The evidence supplied thus far have been very convincing and Oscar is indeed in big trouble. He, of course, has the right to silence, but is it a right they want to exercise now?

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#707076 Mar 25, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I don't need your help.
That's good!:)

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Evolution is true.....

#707077 Mar 25, 2014
Ghost Writer 2 You wrote:
<quoted text>
I came to faith after a similar search. I was an agnostic. Educated and trained in historical research, I arrived at the conclusion based on historical evidence. I wasn't looking for it to be true or untrue. I simply resolved to open my mind. The evidence I found was compelling and far outstripped all rival historically based conclusions.
I didn't challenge you to "proof". My challenge is about your theological understanding.
Here it goes.
How is Genesis theologically connected to the Gospels? I'm looking for a specific answer. Let's see what you come up with.
You write:
"How is Genesis theologically connected to the Gospels? I'm looking for a specific answer. Let's see what you come up with.

They are, all five, not written by the listed author.
Cheese Us

United States

#707078 Mar 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith first, everything else falls into play after that.
I don't understand why you'd ask a Christian to prove God with God's power, unless you were just trying to be condescending towards him.
You want God to come to you on your terms but that isn't how God works. If you have no faith in God, you're stuck. Think about it.
How can you tell the difference between that and a delusion?

Hint: You can't.

“First it steals your mind..”

..and then it steals your soul

#707079 Mar 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact that we don't know if meteors or asteroids contain high levels of iridium, or any level of iridium for that matter. That is speculation, and speculation only.
The fact that iridium layers are present in the strata not only from 65 million years ago, but all through history.
You can't deny that it takes some level of speculation and some level of assumption to believe that the KT event happened the way we think it happened.
But, we DO know that. We have known that for more than a hundred years, since the Alvarez hypothesis. You want to know how we know? Because scientists analysed the elements inside asteroids and meteors, as well as imoact sites of those, and found iridium in much greater quantities per unit of area than is found on earth.

Just because YOU are not aware of a certain fact, does not mean WE are unaware of it
UIDIOTRACEMAKEWO RLDPEACE

United States

#707080 Mar 25, 2014
Ted wrote:
<quoted text>Works in mysterious ways......made a plane disappear....thats something. Than just to make a point......creates (heaven and earth) and a mud slide.....made Hitler.......He must use these events for population control?
US neomalthusians /nEOCON/cHRISTAIN RIGHT/DOMINONIST... love population control by Depopulation of others not of their own kind! Ugly bunch!
Cheese Us

United States

#707081 Mar 25, 2014
<quoted text>
I believe, but I cannot prove, that all life, all intelligence, all creativity and all design anywhere in the universe is the direct or indirect product of Darwinian natural selection. Design cannot precede evolution and therefore cannot underlie the universe.”
-Professor Richard Dawkins,(Biologist) January, 2005
"Our willingness to accept scientific claims that are against common sense is the key to an understanding of the real struggle between science and the supernatural. We take the side of science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs, in spite of its failure to fulfill many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so stories, because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism.
It is not that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us to accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our a priori adherence to material causes to create an apparatus of investigation and a set of concepts that produce material explanations, no matter how counter-intuitive, no matter how mystifying to the uninitiated. Moreover, that materialism is an absolute, for we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door." -Professor Richard Lewontin (Geneticist)
‘Evolution is promoted by its practitioners as more than mere science. Evolution is promulgated as an ideology, a secular religion—a full-fledged alternative to Christianity, with meaning and morality. I am an ardent evolutionist and an ex-Christian, but I must admit that in this one complaint—and Mr [sic] Gish is but one of many to make it—the literalists are absolutely right. Evolution is a religion. This was true of evolution in the beginning, and it is true of evolution still today.
‘… Evolution therefore came into being as a kind of secular ideology, an explicit substitute for Christianity.’-Professor Michael Ruse (Philosophy)
Tell me again that:
1) Devotion to evolution isn't a religion - yeah right.:)
2) Atheist academics aren't using science as a front to dominate colleges and high schools.
3) Atheistic scientists aren't claiming that science disproves God.
I'm not anti science at all. I think science is great. Until it is perverted for the advancement of a philosophical ideology.
Contrary to what paranoid atheists think, not ALL Christians want prayer back in school. I don't want it if it's mandatory. They think that Christianity as a whole here in the United States wants to use a wedge strategy to promote ID/Evolution equality and then use that as a springboard to push religion back into schools. I think it would be wrong if we did that.
I don't think it's wrong to give a HS junior or senior a choice. They're old enough to take the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) to see if they qualify to serve and protect the US Constitution, but they don't have the right to choose which science class they want to take?
Here, atheists will howl that ID isn't science. Yes it is. It's just a competitive hypothesis that posits a creator. And as I said (which they conveniently ignore or cynically choose not to believe) BOTH CAN be taught WITHOUT mentioning any specific deity.
Their paranoia would be laughable if it wasn't so deeply pathetic.
ID is not science.

A scientist who sees design in life has nowhere to take that inference. It's a dead end. It's something they can believe, via faith, but nothing they can demonstrate, via the scientific method.

There is nothing in ID to teach, just an agenda to promote.

You're a tool.
Cheese Us

United States

#707082 Mar 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
When the rational freethinking skeptical evidence-based person spouts off evidence of God, I'd very much like to see what they have to offer.
So far, nothing.
LOL.......You're not too bright, are you?

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#707083 Mar 25, 2014
scaritual wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You think wrong.
There are many ways to get a ticket straight to hell, murder is one of them.
<quoted text>
<Ar aR>"...Hit's so pow'rfulll, hit's pow'rfullll I'm a tellin ye..!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =1cZUCH6KKt4XX
I'm not much for pranks, but I'd love to sneak this into a church service somewhere.

Ha!

Location hidden

#707084 Mar 25, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
I heard a bullfrog talk one time, but I was under extreme duress at the time.:-/
"Let me out of here! There's fangs!"

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Evolution is true.....

#707085 Mar 25, 2014
<quoted text>
And why are you reading and accepting the findings from a geologist on the subject of biology from a religious institution that you would generally mistrust?
That's like reading a do it yourself plumbing book from Home Depot to diagnose a lower gastrointestinal infection.
I'm guessing your idea of a perfect school or college would be one that taught there really was a world-wide flood and that the stratigraphy record proves this flood.

And that all the bone and DNA evidence says that there was an Adam and Eve; that there was plenty of evidence for the both the Exodus, and Joshua's conquest of all those cities; that god deigned to come to earth and confuse the one language that was used then, and that all those 50 or so methods of age-dating were wrong, etc., etc.

It's just so convenient to have all your myths taught in one place....

“Proud Member”

Since: Dec 10

The Basket of Deplorables

#707086 Mar 25, 2014
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
But, we DO know that. We have known that for more than a hundred years, since the Alvarez hypothesis. You want to know how we know? Because scientists analysed the elements inside asteroids and meteors, as well as imoact sites of those, and found iridium in much greater quantities per unit of area than is found on earth.
Just because YOU are not aware of a certain fact, does not mean WE are unaware of it
What's important is that Iridium is one of the least abundant elements in the Earth's crust, having an average mass fraction of 0.001 ppm in crustal rock.
That means higher concentrations have to have come from elsewhere, and we know the iridium content in asteroids is much higher. You can't educate the willfully ignorant, they and especially arr arr are quite venomous to science, so much so you could call him the anti-scientist.:)

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#707087 Mar 25, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Unlike a biology text, which is written in clear language about real things, anybody's take on the bible is just as valid as anybody else's.
How so? Can you explain why your interpretation is more accurate than mine?
I just explained that it isn't. In most cases, our versions are equally valid.
Do you have a degree in history? Archeology? Philosophy? Theology? Comparative Religions?
No.Why? Do you think that I can't understand the bible without a degree in one of those?

Fennario

#707088 Mar 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Just as you are incompetent in Christian theology, which is why your take on the Bible is almost always wrong. Simply reading the Bible, or reading certain verses here and there, does not justify a person to call himself a biblical expert. That's what most of you atheists seem to do. I've been studying the Bible 30 times longer than you have, and you think that counts for nothing. I might as well read WebMD, then tell you the right way to practice medicine, because I read it once. Understand?
This issue has been exhausted. Your argument was far from compelling to me..

Location hidden

#707089 Mar 25, 2014
Double Fine wrote:
Damn my eyes, for they lie! How have you been Tide? Good to see another one of my clan
I have not come to abolish the thread, but to fulfill it.

...with a sword!

Has this thread returned to its glory days? It's certainly busy. There's a familiar cast of characters. I think we've witnessed a little resurrection.

Fennario

#707090 Mar 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Most preachers I've known have multiple degrees, masters and doctorate's, in all sorts of theological fields.
And unlike laborers, teachers, stay at home moms, engineers, and nurses, they are unproductive except to their church.

Sorry, but theology is largely detached from reality. It describes nothing out there, explains nothing out there, nor predicts any thing out there. That makes it as sterile as astrology.

Fennario

#707091 Mar 25, 2014
It's a lot more academic than you think. A LOT more. You already have a presupposition to believe it's myth. Why do you have that presupposition and what can you do to overcome that presupposition?
Science, especially cosmology, biology, earth sciences have confirmed that the Genesis creation story is a myth. It's not a fact.
Cheese Us

United States

#707092 Mar 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Just as you are incompetent in Christian theology, which is why your take on the Bible is almost always wrong.
Simply reading the Bible, or reading certain verses here and there, does not justify a person to call himself a biblical expert. That's what most of you atheists seem to do. I've been studying the Bible 30 times longer than you have, and you think that counts for nothing.
I might as well read WebMD, then tell you the right way to practice medicine, because I read it once. Understand?
What do you think having a debilitating confirmation bias does to your take on the Bible?

Hint: It doesn't make you a biblical expert.
Cheese Us

United States

#707093 Mar 25, 2014
<quoted text>
How so? Can you explain why your interpretation is more accurate than mine?
Do you have a degree in history? Archeology? Philosophy? Theology? Comparative Religions?
No. You're a doctor. It's a very empirically based honorable profession. Is a degree in history or archeology any less valid or honorable? Is philosophy less valid? I know you think theology isn't valid but I doubt you've ever seen a textbook on Systematic Theology, let alone opened one.(I have 3, I'll let you borrow one - heavy reading at over 1000 pages each)
So again I ask, with you having only a casual observers (not even a layperson) perspective, why is your interpretation more accurate than mine?
All that studying can't separate you from your extreme confirmation bias where the Bible is concerned.

Fennario

#707094 Mar 25, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Most secular skeptics would agree with Dawkins, but reject Lewontin. Regarding Dawkins, proof is not required for rational, justified belief. Lewontin is simply wrong. We make a sharp distinction between methodological materialism, which says that the physical realm is perforce all that can be studied, and philosophical materialism, which claims that it is all that exists. Ruse is also wrong. He is guilty of equivocating a metaphorical meaning of the word "religion," as in "Football is his religion," with the literal definition that applies to systems like Christianity and Islam. For starters, evolutionary science does try to account for the existence of the conscience and of moral behavior and sentiments through evolutionary mechanisms. but it offers no normative ethics. Science tells us how the world is and was, not how it ought to be. Science is unlike a (literal religion) in many other ways, most notable by its lack of a deity, supernaturalism, mythology, rituals, dogma, ceremonial dress, a concept of the sacred, and instruction on how to live life or what meaning to assign it..
Ah yes, "public relations damage control." LOL Of course you reject Lewontin and Ruse. But not for the reasons you mentioned. They ratted all of you out on atheistic academic snobbery and admitted what the rest of the atheistic academic world won't (can't afford to) admit to, and what we already knew.:) Nice try though. LOL ;)
Bad day?

There's nothing there but your speculations about my motives that contradict what I've told you they are.

What you call snobbery many of us call the inevitable consequence of understanding with an open, impartial, and analytic mind. Religion in the West is simply not being taken as seriously as it had been.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min kent 658,901
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 min TheChrist 71,078
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 6 min Student 45,629
News Reason to cringe: Female voters react to Trump 14 min Jim 279
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 31 min Neville Thompson 785
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 50 min ChristineM 445,537
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 1 hr DENG 39,178
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr onemale 283,030
Should Black People Forgive White People for Sl... (Jun '07) 9 hr gundee123 5,059
More from around the web