Prove there's a god.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#706639 Mar 25, 2014
Double Fine wrote:
Case in point. Last year, while washing my car, I had a Jehova Witness over, wishing to speak to me. I said yeh, have a go. Usually, in such an argument, I would have just said that I am not up for a change of viewpoint. Now, I am very willing to be convinced; if the person can prove his deity's power by means of prayer, I am sold. If he can prove that he can direct a lightning bolt from a clear blue sky, or summon down a beam of fire from above, I will go to his church and worship his deity beside him.
As you can guess, no lightning, firebolts or telekinesis. I destroyed every argument he had,
Faith first, everything else falls into play after that.

I don't understand why you'd ask a Christian to prove God with God's power, unless you were just trying to be condescending towards him.

You want God to come to you on your terms but that isn't how God works. If you have no faith in God, you're stuck. Think about it.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#706640 Mar 25, 2014
tricki wrote:
<quoted text>
everything your science has accomplished, and it is much, proves beyond a shadow of doubt that GOD IS.
Do you have peer reviewed papers to show that?

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#706641 Mar 25, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> Nothing is "wrong" with man "adapting" but when you go to comparing a monkey (Luci) or another monkey to man, to try and show a transition, well to me, that's crazy. different bone structure (similar) sure but not transitional. man is man, dog is dog, cat is cat. they can give birth to sub-types but it is still a cat, dog, man, or whatever. I have been looking online for over a month trying to understand and see a "transitional" human. I have not seen one definitive thing that says we are monkeys. most fossil records that I have seen are, "as is" but I am sure there was "adaption" in some. minor changes sure, but no amount of time is gonna change one species into another. Impossible!
Every species on this planet is a possible "transition". You seem to have a good head, but you lack some knowledge on some subjects. That is certainly no crime.
I do intend to discuss this with you, so I am not going to call you an asshat and then respond from one liners from there. I have just two questions that I need you to answer:
1) What do you know and understand about fossils?
2) Do you know that humans and chimps share about 98% of their DNA? If you do not know this, you can find it on any credible source using google (hell, even Wikipedia is fine. We are not in an academic discussion, so we do not have to be overly critical of sources, lest the source proves unreliable). What I would like to know from you, is whether you can come up with any explanation for this huge DNA similarity, other than humans and chinps having a common ancestor?

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#706642 Mar 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh ya? What's my attitude towards beer and how much do I drink?(since you think you know so much)
I'll have you know that in all my school years, I had only ONE alcoholic drink, a Bud Ice, and I couldn't even drink half of it.
I'm not a drunk in AA like you.
I am no longer a drunk nor attend AA.
I haven't had a drink of alcohol in 31 years.

You are still an ignorant and deceitful POS.

Let me know when you can get through life without alcohol.

“Faith = Trust”

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#706643 Mar 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"Science has taught us we don't need God to exist."
-Krauss
I believe, but I cannot prove, that all life, all intelligence, all creativity and all design anywhere in the universe is the direct or indirect product of Darwinian natural selection. Design cannot precede evolution and therefore cannot underlie the universe.”
-Professor Richard Dawkins,(Biologist) January, 2005

"Our willingness to accept scientific claims that are against common sense is the key to an understanding of the real struggle between science and the supernatural. We take the side of science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs, in spite of its failure to fulfill many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so stories, because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism.

It is not that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us to accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our a priori adherence to material causes to create an apparatus of investigation and a set of concepts that produce material explanations, no matter how counter-intuitive, no matter how mystifying to the uninitiated. Moreover, that materialism is an absolute, for we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door." -Professor Richard Lewontin (Geneticist)

‘Evolution is promoted by its practitioners as more than mere science. Evolution is promulgated as an ideology, a secular religion—a full-fledged alternative to Christianity, with meaning and morality. I am an ardent evolutionist and an ex-Christian, but I must admit that in this one complaint—and Mr [sic] Gish is but one of many to make it—the literalists are absolutely right. Evolution is a religion. This was true of evolution in the beginning, and it is true of evolution still today.

‘… Evolution therefore came into being as a kind of secular ideology, an explicit substitute for Christianity.’-Professor Michael Ruse (Philosophy)

Tell me again that:

1) Devotion to evolution isn't a religion - yeah right.:)
2) Atheist academics aren't using science as a front to dominate colleges and high schools.
3) Atheistic scientists aren't claiming that science disproves God.

I'm not anti science at all. I think science is great. Until it is perverted for the advancement of a philosophical ideology.

Contrary to what paranoid atheists think, not ALL Christians want prayer back in school. I don't want it if it's mandatory. They think that Christianity as a whole here in the United States wants to use a wedge strategy to promote ID/Evolution equality and then use that as a springboard to push religion back into schools. I think it would be wrong if we did that.

I don't think it's wrong to give a HS junior or senior a choice. They're old enough to take the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) to see if they qualify to serve and protect the US Constitution, but they don't have the right to choose which science class they want to take?

Here, atheists will howl that ID isn't science. Yes it is. It's just a competitive hypothesis that posits a creator. And as I said (which they conveniently ignore or cynically choose not to believe) BOTH CAN be taught WITHOUT mentioning any specific deity.

Their paranoia would be laughable if it wasn't so deeply pathetic.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#706644 Mar 25, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> How much evidence could there be when they were being thrown into a continuous fire? probably very little right? who is the founder of them people?
Bones do not burn up in fires, contrary to common belief. Want proof, just try burning the Barbeque remains in the campfire.

Even in modern crematoriums ( 1000 degrees hotter than anything the ancients had) the bones remain. Example: Nazi death camps.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#706645 Mar 25, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> .... who is the founder of them people?
The Canaanites probably migrated from what is now Iraq.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#706646 Mar 25, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> You're very helpful. Seeing how you know all that then maybe you could explain about that clown fish? I have asked twice now. I don't see how it could have evolved to have done that, do you?
I can try answering the question, but I make two concessions:

1) I have no knowledge at all about clownfish. I will not be abke to point one out for you in a fishtank. Their biology and behaviour is totally unknown to me

2) I am not a marine biologist, or even a biologist.

That being said, we do see many species having relationships with other species of fauna and flaura: think of birds cleaning the teeth of crocodillians, think about deer species grazing alongside buffalo, sharks and remora fish, bees pollinating flowers, etc.

Sometimes, by pure chance, an inter-species relationship proves to be beneficial for either or both parties involved. The particular specimen woukd then remember that performing a certain act close to another species of animal, plant or fungus, did yield some benefits. Next time, it may perform the same activity in the other species' presence.

This knowledge is then transferred to its offspring and they are then genetically drive to copy its parents.

Better than that, I sadly cannot do

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#706647 Mar 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Yes but I've read a Biology book. According to IANS that makes me just as capable of discussing it's contents as anyone else.
Yes, you can discuss its contents, but you are not competent in the sciences, and would likely.be mistaken about what you read.

The bible is radically different from a science text. It is mostly poetry, fables, and conflicting advice. Unlike a biology text, which is written in clear language about real things, anybody's take on the bible is just as valid as anybody else's.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#706648 Mar 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Most preachers I've known have a degree in Theology.
That would be about as useful as a degree in animated Disney movies. Suppose somebody studied Disney princesses for thirty years and wrote a book about the relative merits of white Disney princesses - Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, and Belle - contrasted with their the princesses of color - Jasmine, Pocahontas, Tiana and Mulan. Is that really academic if it's about nothing?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#706649 Mar 25, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
What's this sudden interest of yours in evidence? You not only don't require it to believe, you are expert at ignoring contradictory evidence. You will believe or disbelieve any assertion related to your faith by more faith, not evidence. You can't diabuse a man of an idea that he came to without the aid of reason by using reason.
When the rational freethinking skeptical evidence-based person spouts off evidence of God, I'd very much like to see what they have to offer.

So far, nothing.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#706650 Mar 25, 2014
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Every species on this planet is a possible "transition". You seem to have a good head, but you lack some knowledge on some subjects. That is certainly no crime.
I do intend to discuss this with you, so I am not going to call you an asshat and then respond from one liners from there. I have just two questions that I need you to answer:
1) What do you know and understand about fossils?
2) Do you know that humans and chimps share about 98% of their DNA? If you do not know this, you can find it on any credible source using google (hell, even Wikipedia is fine. We are not in an academic discussion, so we do not have to be overly critical of sources, lest the source proves unreliable). What I would like to know from you, is whether you can come up with any explanation for this huge DNA similarity, other than humans and chinps having a common ancestor?
possible transition and fact transition are 2 different things. I lack knowledge in a lot of things. DNA is like software is to a computer. all similar but different. all have codes of design unto themselves, yet they are very similar. to be honest, I lack knowledge to discuss it in much detail. comparative bone structure of monkeys and humans doesn't make me a "monkey" that would be like saying, I am a Nazi cause I like white Russians. Are you gonna try and explain that clown fish thing? I know that I am having a hard time getting past that, but you also seem to be having a hard time answering it..yes, I have seen that we share a percentage of DNA with chimps, but it's that that we don't share that separates us as species, just like any other. The DNA of each species is unique unto itself no matter how similar.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#706651 Mar 25, 2014
Yes, you can discuss its contents, but you are not competent in the sciences, and would likely.be mistaken about what you read.
The bible is radically different from a science text. It is mostly poetry, fables, and conflicting advice. Unlike a biology text, which is written in clear language about real things, anybody's take on the bible is just as valid as anybody else's.
Just as you are incompetent in Christian theology, which is why your take on the Bible is almost always wrong.

Simply reading the Bible, or reading certain verses here and there, does not justify a person to call himself a biblical expert. That's what most of you atheists seem to do. I've been studying the Bible 30 times longer than you have, and you think that counts for nothing.

I might as well read WebMD, then tell you the right way to practice medicine, because I read it once. Understand?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#706652 Mar 25, 2014
<quoted text>
That would be about as useful as a degree in animated Disney movies. Suppose somebody studied Disney princesses for thirty years and wrote a book about the relative merits of white Disney princesses - Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, and Belle - contrasted with their the princesses of color - Jasmine, Pocahontas, Tiana and Mulan. Is that really academic if it's about nothing?
There is no such degree, your analogy falls flat.

Most preachers I've known have multiple degrees, masters and doctorate's, in all sorts of theological fields. The real experts have not only their theological education, but other "real degrees" as well, as you put it.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#706653 Mar 25, 2014
Ghost Writer 2 You wrote:
Tell me again that:
1) Devotion to evolution isn't a religion - yeah right.:)
2) Atheist academics aren't using science as a front to dominate colleges and high schools.
3) Atheistic scientists aren't claiming that science disproves God.
I'm not anti science at all. I think science is great. Until it is perverted for the advancement of a philosophical ideology.
Contrary to what paranoid atheists think, not ALL Christians want prayer back in school. I don't want it if it's mandatory. They think that Christianity as a whole here in the United States wants to use a wedge strategy to promote ID/Evolution equality and then use that as a springboard to push religion back into schools. I think it would be wrong if we did that.
I don't think it's wrong to give a HS junior or senior a choice. They're old enough to take the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) to see if they qualify to serve and protect the US Constitution, but they don't have the right to choose which science class they want to take?
Here, atheists will howl that ID isn't science. Yes it is. It's just a competitive hypothesis that posits a creator. And as I said (which they conveniently ignore or cynically choose not to believe) BOTH CAN be taught WITHOUT mentioning any specific deity.
Their paranoia would be laughable if it wasn't so deeply pathetic.
I agree, it is pathetic.

Nice post.

“Faith = Trust”

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#706654 Mar 25, 2014
Unlike a biology text, which is written in clear language about real things, anybody's take on the bible is just as valid as anybody else's.
How so? Can you explain why your interpretation is more accurate than mine?

Do you have a degree in history? Archeology? Philosophy? Theology? Comparative Religions?

No. You're a doctor. It's a very empirically based honorable profession. Is a degree in history or archeology any less valid or honorable? Is philosophy less valid? I know you think theology isn't valid but I doubt you've ever seen a textbook on Systematic Theology, let alone opened one.(I have 3, I'll let you borrow one - heavy reading at over 1000 pages each)

So again I ask, with you having only a casual observers (not even a layperson) perspective, why is your interpretation more accurate than mine?
ROCCO

Desert Hot Springs, CA

#706655 Mar 25, 2014
Fred Phelps finally served a purpose; 3 minutes of laughter:

Location hidden

#706656 Mar 25, 2014
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
I can try answering the question, but I make two concessions:
1) I have no knowledge at all about clownfish. I will not be abke to point one out for you in a fishtank. Their biology and behaviour is totally unknown to me
2) I am not a marine biologist, or even a biologist.
That being said, we do see many species having relationships with other species of fauna and flaura: think of birds cleaning the teeth of crocodillians, think about deer species grazing alongside buffalo, sharks and remora fish, bees pollinating flowers, etc.
Sometimes, by pure chance, an inter-species relationship proves to be beneficial for either or both parties involved. The particular specimen woukd then remember that performing a certain act close to another species of animal, plant or fungus, did yield some benefits. Next time, it may perform the same activity in the other species' presence.
This knowledge is then transferred to its offspring and they are then genetically drive to copy its parents.
Better than that, I sadly cannot do
good enough for me, cause as I said, I don't know but looks like the poison would have kept killing the fish so it would have never "adapted" I had a dog once that seemed to like my moms calico cat, they hung out and shyt, but one day the dog killed him.. go figure! is there a marine biologist in the house? haha!

Location hidden

#706657 Mar 25, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
The Canaanites probably migrated from what is now Iraq.
That really doesn't answer the question does it BenAdam? isn't that whole area considered Mesopatamic? Euphrates river and all that good stuff, ya know, Garden Of Eden?

“Love much, trust none”

There

#706658 Mar 25, 2014
<quoted text>
For Christ's sake, RR can barely read a comic book.

He babbles about the Bible just like he babbles about science and everything else.

He is an ignorant and deceitful jerk trying to convince himself he isn't worthless by coming here and insulting everyone who has an education.

What is sad is that the Southern USA (at least) is chock full of these burdens on society.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 4 min ChristineM 444,149
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 9 min TDOTF 595,920
Free CV network databases? 21 min lora04 1
News Ohio Man Caught Having Sex With Picnic Table (Mar '08) 49 min Ricky F 155
9/11&bin 53 min REV CAROL 1
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 53 min Porkpie Hat 272,057
Rajkot gay Topix 58 min nalin 153
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 hr hamili 100,729
The Christian Atheist debate 2 hr Mr Wiggley 776
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 13 hr Truths 612,594
More from around the web