Prove there's a god.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#706609 Mar 25, 2014
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, if you want to talk animals that change very little over long periods of time, look no further than insects. They are nature's a$$ kickers
Correct.

The only way to avoid a belief in evolution is to avoid the reality of the world around us.

I will take a taxonomic reality over the word of a 4000 year dead Hebrew any day.

I really don't understand why people cling to such absurd notions as a magic book.
I left that behind in seventh grade when I put down the Hobbit to kiss Caroline.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#706610 Mar 25, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
Joking?
You missed because you need a new scope?
Yes.

Glad we cleared that up.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#706611 Mar 25, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
Denial.
You already informed us of your alcohol addiction..
No I haven't. I informed you of my cigarette addiction, I've said nothing about alcohol addiction.

You're the one that had to go to AA, ya drunk.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#706612 Mar 25, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
So you believe in El of the Canaanites.
The Canaanites did for sure. They were sacrificing children to him right? I think it has something to do with Cain and his Obsession with God accepting him. Cain would be the founder of them peoples, who else right, and the sacrificing of an unblemished child would be the Ultimate offering if he was wanting acceptance and forgiveness from God. No loving God would ask that..There has to be a connection to Cain wanting acceptance. If Cain wasn't the founder, then who?

“"None shall pass"”

There

#706613 Mar 25, 2014
tricki wrote:
<quoted text>
dearest scholar, what gave birth to our ivy league schools?
The Pagan Roman educational system of Trivium and Quadrivium.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#706614 Mar 25, 2014
Double Fine wrote:
Nope.
The Bible, although having different translations, is essentially the same subject matter. Biology is a much, much broader subject.
Yes but I've read a Biology book. According to IANS that makes me just as capable of discussing it's contents as anyone else.
Secondly, biology is something that is studied and taught by scholars.

The Bible is also studied and taught by scholars.
The Bible can be analysed and reviewed by anyone - you can present your analysis on a certain book, chapter or verse in the Bible without having a theology degree.

Just like you can present your analysis of any Biology book without a Biology degree, right?
You can preach Christianity with only the most basic understanding of the Bible.
Any you'd undoubtedly be wrong.
Sure, some churches do have stringent requirements (like a theology degree) for anyone to lead a service. But you would agree, that many, many churches do not have these requirements and services are, in fact, lead by laymen.
Dunno. Most preachers I've known have a degree in Theology. What you want to discuss about "many churches" is speculation.
So where is the difference? Biology is science. So is physics. So is palaeontology. So is radiology. So is engineering. So is astrophysics. So is,,,, you get the idea. Your understanding of subject matter is demonstrated by passing relevant subjects and obtaining a degree in the specific field. Who decides on the subject matter? The scientific community itself.
The Bible, not being a scientific journal, needs none of these stringent measures to be proven competent to either practice or teach
So what?

If all you have to do is read a verse from the Bible and now you're an expert, all I have to do is read a sentence from a Biology book and now I'm a Biology expert.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#706615 Mar 25, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>Methinks thou doth protest too much.
Understatement.

Typical christian behaviour, they attack then cry persecution if anyone dares to object.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#706616 Mar 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.
Glad we cleared that up.
Cherry picking?

I must be talking to RR here?

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#706617 Mar 25, 2014
Posting on topix pays a six figure salary? Whoa.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#706618 Mar 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
.... I've said nothing about alcohol addiction.....
Sure you did. You posted plenty about your attitude towards it and your use of it.

You are an alcoholic in denial.

Did you start drinking before or after you dropped out of high school ?

"Alcohol isn't a drug because its legal." RR

“First it steals your mind..”

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#706619 Mar 25, 2014
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
What exactly is wrong with the evolution of modern humans? Keep in mind, that the current (and accepted) hypotheses are well supported through archaeological and palaeontological evidence, as well as radiometric dates. You would either need to falsify everything we know about radiometric dating (not likely), or find fossil evidence that falsifies our current hypotheses, such as a modern human found Jurassic sediment (even less likely).
As for species, yes, a finch is a finch and a bird is a bird and a dog is a dog. But, over time, minor changes creep in. Something that is at first glance not even an anomaly.
For instance: Tyrannosaurus Rex
Crap. Deleted my bit at the end.

What I wanted to say: Tyrannosaurus Rex fossils show some adaptations over time. One of the most interesting ones were the relationship in length ratio between femur and tibula. T-Rex lived approximately 70-65 million years ago. Older T-Rex fossils have been show to have shorter femurs and longer tibulas (those fossils 70 my old or older), whilst younger fossil specimen have been shown to have femurs and tibulas of almost equal length (pretty much the ratio modern humans have). Shorter femurs imply greater maximum speed, as you can see from the faster land animals today (e.g. The Cheetah). Longer femurs are usually found on slower animals, but are useful for long-distance walking.

Now it is quite clearly that both specimen were T-Rex. It stood about 5 metres high, 12 metres from snout to tail tip, it had a massive body and huge head, filled with the largest teeth ever found on a terrestial carnivore. The length of a leg bone does not indicate a new species; it is simply an example of a minor adjustment over time. T-Rex evolved from a brisk runner, to a long-distance walker (the reason for this is maybe that T-Rex did not chase prey. They probably used their massive size to chase smaller carnivores off their kills).

So a T-Rex is a T-Rex, right? Right. But imagine ten such minor changes, over say, ten million years. Imagine another ten. Imagine another ten. Would you be able to classify this "Neo" T-Rex as a T-Rex?

“"None shall pass"”

There

#706620 Mar 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the one that had to go to AA, ya drunk.
Yup. I had a drinking problem.
I often admit my short comings and seek to remedy them.
You just wallow in your filth and snort at everyone outside your sty.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#706621 Mar 25, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> The Canaanites did for sure. They were sacrificing children to him right?....
Only according to their enemy the Hebrews.
The only archeological evidence of child sacrifice anywhere near Canaan is in Tunisia in North Africa and that is possibly a result of a high child mortality rather than sacrifices.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#706622 Mar 25, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Understatement.
Typical christian behaviour, they attack then cry persecution if anyone dares to object.
His beaten baby persecuted him in public.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#706623 Mar 25, 2014
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
What exactly is wrong with the evolution of modern humans? Keep in mind, that the current (and accepted) hypotheses are well supported through archaeological and palaeontological evidence, as well as radiometric dates. You would either need to falsify everything we know about radiometric dating (not likely), or find fossil evidence that falsifies our current hypotheses, such as a modern human found Jurassic sediment (even less likely).
As for species, yes, a finch is a finch and a bird is a bird and a dog is a dog. But, over time, minor changes creep in. Something that is at first glance not even an anomaly.
For instance: Tyrannosaurus Rex
Nothing is "wrong" with man "adapting" but when you go to comparing a monkey (Luci) or another monkey to man, to try and show a transition, well to me, that's crazy. different bone structure (similar) sure but not transitional. man is man, dog is dog, cat is cat. they can give birth to sub-types but it is still a cat, dog, man, or whatever. I have been looking online for over a month trying to understand and see a "transitional" human. I have not seen one definitive thing that says we are monkeys. most fossil records that I have seen are, "as is" but I am sure there was "adaption" in some. minor changes sure, but no amount of time is gonna change one species into another. Impossible!

“"None shall pass"”

There

#706624 Mar 25, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
Posting on topix pays a six figure salary? Whoa.
LOL

He prayed for money.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#706625 Mar 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
"Science has taught us we don't need God to exist."
- Krauss
Scientists don't demonstrate that there is no god, just that one appears not to be needed.

It does, however, reveal that all creation myths are false. If science did nothing but disempower two religions - Christianity and Islam - by debunking their creation myths and undermining their claims to a divine connection. that alone would be as huge a contribution to the human condition as say public sanitation, which has saved millions of lives from such things as cholera epidemics, plague, and widespread death during childbirth.

And both of those are just the beginning of science's huge contribution to humanity. The agricultural and industrial revolutions were even greater.

Science is highly regarded in the West outside of religious circles, and the church attacks it at its own risk. Science will defeat religion without even mentioning it.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#706626 Mar 25, 2014
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Snake/serpent. Not this again, RR
Be careful...next he's going to make you prove you have hands...

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#706627 Mar 25, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Your standards for your god are too low. It is depicted in the bible as a genocidal psychopath - a mass murderer unparalleled anywhere in history, in the news, or in fiction. If you are willing to not only excuse such behavior, but also to worship and adore it, I'd say that your standards for yourself are too low as well.
the talk wrote:
The cretins justifiably being killed in the Bible were people like you. I think the standards of pigs like you constantly drop.
Justifiably? You are truly formed in your god's image.

"Belief in a cruel god makes a cruel man." -Thomas Paine.
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#706628 Mar 25, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Most people are more decent than the Christian god.
How many of us would punish somebody forever without hope of mercy for the crime of not worshiping us while we were in hiding. How many of us would find human error so intolerable that we needed a blood sacrifice to be appeased, or could be appeased by the suffering of another? How many of us would sterilize most of the earth with slow drowning? Which of us would create a Satan and unleash it in earth?
Any that did would properly be understood as the enemy of mankind, and fit to be executed. And if this god were real, had done these things to us, and could somehow be killed, we would be justified in doing it. Such ideas may shock and offend the faithful, but they are obviously just. Our American ancestors rejected the tyranny of a monarch that also demanded loyalty and obedience, and who was as selfish and abusive as it could be, in exactly that same spirit.
as usual, you don't get it.

see, he's holy

sin destroyed paradise

the way to the new paradise is through blood, like in the o.t. but it is finished now.

by his blood are you being saved. well, not you, but to as many as receive him

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Future of Politics in America 3 min It aint necessari... 199
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 39 min Al Capone 3,385
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 59 min MUQ2 88,046
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr MUQ2 284,528
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr X Pendable 184,716
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr truth 665,278
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr MUQ2 45,817
Secular Humanism VS Christianity 1 hr Bongo 99
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 3 hr nanoanomaly 525
More from around the web